What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Wondery has a series called Sports Wars. Season 6 is Texas v. Oklahoma. Haven’t listened yet. 

Awesome. Already got it queued up.

Listened to The Clearing this week. About serial killer Ed Edwards and how his daughter figured him out and tipped off the cops. Also all the crazy bogus theories about him being behind all these other notorious murders like Jon Benet and the WM3. It's definitely worth a listen. 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Wondery has a series called Sports Wars. Season 6 is Texas v. Oklahoma. Haven’t listened yet. 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:44 PM, NorthLoop said:

Awesome. Already got it queued up.

Aaaaand no. If you haven't started this yet, don't bother. It's very OU-centric. Basically the story of how scrapper underdog Oklahoma finds charming ways to beat the big bad Texas. Dude glosses over Switzer's cheating saying shit like "did he bend the rules a little? Yeah maybe - but hey everyone does it."  They also basically skip the entire 60's and 90's. There is ZERO mention of any Texas players (at least until the Stoops era, because that's when I quit listening). No mention of Earl, Gardere, Ricky. There is more talk about how DKR was an OU player than there is about him being coach, probably the same with Mack if I bothered to keep going. 

Edited by NorthLoop

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Aaaaand no. If you haven't started this yet, don't bother. It's very OU-centric. Basically the story of how scrapper underdog Oklahoma finds charming ways to beat the big bad Texas. Dude glosses over Switzer's cheating saying shit like "did he bend the rules a little? Yeah maybe - but hey everyone does it."  They also basically skip the entire 60's and 90's. There is ZERO mention of any Texas players (at least until the Stoops era, because that's when I quit listening). No mention of Earl, Gardere, Ricky. There is more talk about how DKR was an OU player than there is about him being coach, probably the same with Mack if I bothered to keep going. 

Thanks man.  That’s what I was afraid of.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, NorthLoop said:

Yep, Dan Rubenstein is an asshat. I tried to like the Solid Verbal, because I wanted a good college football podcast, but he's just unbearable.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Reply All but the way both those dudes laugh way too hard and long and fake-sounding at every goddamn thing is starting to make it unbearable for me. They are even more annoying that the Car Talk dorks with that crap. They sound like terrible actors overdoing a stage instruction to "laugh uproariously."

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I like Reply All but the way both those dudes laugh way too hard and long and fake-sounding at every goddamn thing is starting to make it unbearable for me. They are even more annoying that the Car Talk dorks with that crap. They sound like terrible actors overdoing a stage instruction to "laugh uproariously."

I fell off Reply All a while ago.  It felt like quantity was more important than quality. Perhaps they had to produce a certain # of shows but should have pulled back based on what they had to say.

another podcast complaint that i have with some podcasts, like freakonomics, is that they post frequent rebroadcasts, but don’t always label it as a rebroadcast. It may be said in the first minute or two but I’m already driving in fast rush hour and don’t feel like searching for another podcast,  switch over to Sirius instead.  Or I’m a 1/4 through the broadcast and start to recall details from when I listened to it 4 years ago.   (For a new listener, rebroadcasts are great.  For older listeners, they suck.)

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 5:29 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

another podcast complaint that i have with some podcasts, like freakonomics, is that they post frequent rebroadcasts, but don’t always label it as a rebroadcast. It may be said in the first minute or two but I’m already driving in fast rush hour and don’t feel like searching for another podcast,  switch over to Sirius instead.  Or I’m a 1/4 through the broadcast and start to recall details from when I listened to it 4 years ago.   (For a new listener, rebroadcasts are great.  For older listeners, they suck.)

Yeah, rebroadcasts are shitty.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey y'all. Myself and CuppyCup on twitter have been working on this podcast for the past couple months. Bunch of funny people and comedians playing a scary RPG. Well worth the listen!

Apple Podcasts: https://slayed.me/apple

Spotify: http://slayed.me/spotify

Google Play: https://slayed.me/google

Stitcher: https://slayed.me/stitcher 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Amazing new podcast premiered today.

“Wind of Change”

The elevator pitch is exquisite: What if I told you that “Wind of Change,” the sorta corny but kinda great 1990 power ballad from Scorpions, the German rock band best known for “Rock You Like a Hurricane,” might have actually been written by the CIA? And furthermore, that the song, which upon its release became a kind of anthem for peaceful revolution across Europe, was possibly a successful entry in a broader underground campaign by the West to expand its soft power against the Soviet Union during the Cold War?

https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/wind-of-change-podcast-review.html

All the episodes are up on Spotify and it’s dropping one per week on Apple Podcasts. Eight episodes total - I’m already on episode five. The reporter/narrator (Patrick Radden Keefe, he wrote a great book about The IRA, “Say Nothing”) is super engaging and the whole thing is fascinating.

Wholeheartedly recommend.

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I gave up after the 1st episode because it sounded like a suicide to me, and family members often think there's no way "our Tom" would ever do something like that (see the hanging/lynching thread on Surly earlier this year).  

Is it obvious that it was a homicide?  

I think it was suicide with some weird personal shit going on with the PI and the sheriff. 

Tom Brown’s Body is the 5th or 6th pod where “the cell phone was found in immaculate condition”. These older phones can take a hell of a beating, not sure it means anything, ever. 

I listen to a lot of true crime pods. When they call in the cadaver dogs, it’s a pretty good sign the cops have no idea what’s going on. 

45 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

hmm, what a shitty ending to that.  mom sounds like she is batshit crazy.  lots of crazies in the panhandle apparently.

Kind of a shitty pod, but Skip does have a good voice. The mom got fleeced by the PI. I know it's painful to admit, but Tom Brown took his own life. 1) Suicide is leading cause of white males in Tom's age group. 2) Tom's family has a history of mental illness and suicide. 

The sheriff is a dick for saying his mom didn't react appropriately to Tom's disappearance and death. She probably knows more than she's letting on, but just let her grieve and don't call her out in a public forum. If the sheriff has something to say, he should speak to the current investigators, and act like a law enforcement professional which he is clearly not. 

Skip promised more Tom Brown episodes in the coming months. But why?!

7 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

agree with all that.  i guess they will update the story after the grand jury maybe? 

Sure, but a grand jury is confidential. All Skip can really do is interview people he thinks were called by the grand jury, and they won't be able to talk about what they said. Not in detail. 

4 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

haha.  so what was the point of all of this?  in all of texas there has be a better story to tell that has a beginning, middle and conclusive ending.

Podcasters like to stick with what’s familiar to them. It’s why every other Crime Junkie case is based in Indiana, and CounterClock did yet another season on a boring case in the North Carolina Outer Banks.

Hollandsworth has written extensively about the state mental hospital in Wichita Falls, so he knows the Panhandle. I suspect he was up there working on something else and he heard about Tom Brown. He jumps into production and figures out later he doesn’t have a very interesting story to tell, but it’s so far down the road he has to finish. 

All of the defendants are now dead, but the Lake Waco Murders would have been a good Texas Monthly Podcast. The Austin Yogurt Shop Murders are too old now as well. There was to be a more compelling, contemporary Texas true crime case out there. 

I listen to the stupid stuff: Smartless with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett; WTF Marc Maron; and Working It Out with Mike Birbiglia. Also enjoy Al Franken from time to time.  Tried Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard but can't take Dax after awhile.  Listening to him try to schmooze with Tom Brady made me punchy.  Plus it just becomes all about listening to stars talking about their parties/dinners with other stars which is really damn boring.  

I've read through several pages of other podcasts listed and need to check out next.  

On 3/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, Lucid said:

Really like your avatar painting.  Repin is a favorite and love the Wanderers.  Did you see that painting when it was exhibited at the DMA?  They had a similar exhibit in DC that had some Serovs.  I really need to visit the Russian art museum in Minneapolis.  

Ilya Repin Artworks & Famous Paintings | TheArtStory

Edited by Mdhorn

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Podcasters like to stick with what’s familiar to them. It’s why every other Crime Junkie case is based in Indiana, and CounterClock did yet another season on a boring case in the North Carolina Outer Banks.

Hollandsworth has written extensively about the state mental hospital in Wichita Falls, so he knows the Panhandle. I suspect he was up there working on something else and he heard about Tom Brown. He jumps into production and figures out later he doesn’t have a very interesting story to tell, but it’s so far down the road he has to finish. 

All of the defendants are now dead, but the Lake Waco Murders would have been a good Texas Monthly Podcast. The Austin Yogurt Shop Murders are too old now as well. There was to be a more compelling, contemporary Texas true crime case out there. 

Man, I just gave Crime Junkie a try and it fucking sucks. The chick throws in a "like" 17 times a sentence and her sidekick is equally as vapid. Why do women talk in real life as if they're starring in a sitcom? My wife does this when she's telling a story and it's all I can do to not leave the room when it happens.

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I listen to the stupid stuff: Smartless with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett; WTF Marc Maron; and Working It Out with Mike Birbiglia. Also enjoy Al Franken from time to time.  Tried Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard but can't take Dax after awhile.  Listening to him try to schmooze with Tom Brady made me punchy.  Plus it just becomes all about listening to stars talking about their parties/dinners with other stars which is really damn boring.  

I've read through several pages of other podcasts listed and need to check out next.  

Armchair Expert is a beating. How somebody that bills himself as a comedic actor can be so brutally unfunny for 90 minutes takes real talent or lack thereof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Man, I just gave Crime Junkie a try and it fucking sucks. The chick throws in a "like" 17 times a sentence and her sidekick is equally as vapid. Why do women talk in real life as if they're starring in a sitcom? My wife does this when she's telling a story and it's all I can do to not leave the room when it happens.

Oh Crime Junkie is by chicks, for chicks, and about missing chicks. It’s a good listen Monday morning when you’re not ready to turn your brain on just yet. Put it on and power through emails. 

Fall of Civilizations claims to be a podcast but it is actually on YouTube.  It might be offered elsewhere but I haven’t looked.  Really well done.  I’ve listened to about half of the series.  It covers exactly what the title suggests.  

The Greenland Vikings and Easter Island have been my favorites.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Fall of Civilizations claims to be a podcast but it is actually on YouTube.  It might be offered elsewhere but I haven’t looked.  Really well done.  I’ve listened to about half of the series.  It covers exactly what the title suggests.  

The Greenland Vikings and Easter Island have been my favorites.

It’s on Spotify. Thank you for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

There is a podcast done by 2 UT students about the Jennifer Cave/Colton Pitonyak/Laura Hall case called The Orange Tree.  It's well done, but there isn't a lot of new information for those of us that followed the case from the beginning.

I'll listen if only for the nostalgia