News stories that remind you of Surly

Longboard Horn

19 minutes ago, ajax said:

Australia - a home intruder breaks into a house. Thankfully he's overpowered by a resident. The resident then rapes the intruder, resulting in death. The occupant was convicted of rape.

I mean, the guy broke into your backdoor, but you break into his? Seems unfair.

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/national/man-guilty-of-raping-intruder-not-guilty-of-killing/

Forced entry indeed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ajax said:

Australia - a home intruder breaks into a house. Thankfully he's overpowered by a resident. The resident then rapes the intruder, resulting in death. The occupant was convicted of rape.

I mean, the guy broke into your backdoor, but you break into his? Seems unfair.

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/national/man-guilty-of-raping-intruder-not-guilty-of-killing/

Well he found out and got fucked around. I assume this was covered under Prima Nocta. 

Which Surly boat owner is this?

Retired doctor, 69, who was busted with guns, drugs and prostitutes on his yacht in Nantucket has terminal cancer 'and is living out his last days partying'

A retired surgeon arrested aboard his luxury yacht last week after a police raid has terminal cancer, his lawyer has claimed - after cops found him partying with an assortment of 'guns, drugs and prostitutes' aboard the vessel.

Previously practicing in Colorado, 69-year-old Scott Burke had his 80-foot stormed in Massachusetts' Nantucket Harbor this past Tuesday - and was hit with a series of charges as a result.

Hit with felonies like possession a firearm without a permit and possession and trafficking Class A and B drugs, he was released on bail to the tune of $200,000 on Thursday, after pleading not guilty to the drug and weapons charges.

A new report out of the tiny New England isle claims that arrangement was only offered after attorney Henry Brennan - who once represented local crime boss Whitey Bulger - went up to bat for his affluent client using a bizarre defense.

The argument, The Nantucket Current reports, saw Brennan claim that Burke has an unspecified type of terminal cancer, now stage 4 and has not much longer to live.

After the claims saw the doctor temporarily released, they were later echoed by a captain who regularly works the harbor - though the account was somewhat dubious, and raised more questions than answers. 

A new report out of the tiny New England isle claims that arrangement was only offered after attorney Henry Brennan - who once represented local crime boss Whitey Bulger - went up to bat for his affluent client using a bizarre defense.

The argument, The Nantucket Current reports, saw Brennan claim that Burke has an unspecified type of terminal cancer, now stage 4 and has not much longer to live.

After the claims saw the doctor temporarily released, they were later echoed by a captain who regularly works the harbor - though the account was somewhat dubious, and raised more questions than answers. 

As for the captain who addresses those claims, but asked to remain anonymous while speaking to The New York Post, has he recently had given a ride to two people delivering 'cancer medication' to Burke's boat, the Jess Conn, the day after the doctor was cuffed.

'I took out somebody who claimed to be a friend of the owner. He claimed to be bringing somebody - and I now know it's the owner - his cancer medication to him,' said the captain, who added he people he gave a ride to then appeared to return with 'more stuff than they went out with.'

Earlier in the week, Burke was charged with possessing a firearm without a permit, having ammunition, as well as possession and trafficking of Class A and B drugs.

In court documents obtained by the Current, investigators, including a DEA special agent, boarded and searched the Jess Conn at 3:25pm, following 'report of a female party, on board a yacht, who did not want to be there, was under the influence of narcotics, and possibly has overdosed.'

They went on to confiscate 43.4 grams of cocaine, 14.1 grams of ketamine, and two pistols - a .380 Smith Wesson Shield and a 9mm Smith & Wesson - along with various ammunition, and found several woman said to be prostitutes by sources who spoke to the Current.

That said, no charges alleging prostitution have been filed, and there was no mention of such activity in the Nantucket Police Department's reports with the incident.

Prosecutors also did not mention prostitution over the course of the hearing. 

'Anybody who is an anonymous source can say anything they want,' Brennan told the Current. 

'Even the government never alleged prostitution or sex trafficking...You didn't hear a whisper of any type of that behavior. I find it disgusting, morally offensive, and it's slandering a good person.' 

After police cuffed him, Burke allegedly confessed to owning the guns, and he told the officers where other weapons aboard the vessel were stores.

In their report, law enforcement officers wrote: 'Scott Burke does not possess a valid [license to carry] or [firearm identification] card.' 

Pictures obtained by DailyMail.com also appear to show the man spending the holiday season with his wife Ellen, 65, and two children, Jessica and Connor aboard a similar boat in 2017 - also called the Jess Conn.

Burke, was arraigned on Wednesday in Nantucket District Court in connection with the incident after authorities boarded Tuesday morning following a call about a woman who had possibly overdosed and wanted to leave the vessel.

Burke also claimed he has licenses for the guns but authorities said it had been issued outside Florida and expired last year.

In a statement, Nantucket Police confirmed that the woman was taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital after reports that she needed 'medical assistance' on Tuesday at 7.45am. 

They added: 'As a result of this information, the boat was identified and located within the Nantucket Harbor Anchorage. 

'Authorities responded to the boat and located the involved woman and identified the owner who was also onboard.

'The owner of the boat was arrested by Nantucket Police Department for one count of Possession of a Firearm without a license. This case remains under investigation at this time.'

Burke, who also owns a $2.3million mansion in Englewood, Colorado, appears to have named the vessel after his children.

He set up a medical insurance company where both his children work, and appears to have owned several other crafts.

He is also the manager of JessConn Charters - based in Florida - though it is unclear how much or if he was charging customers to travel on a vessel used in that venture.

It recently ran aground in Florida in May, but appears to have escaped without significant damage in the incident.

Coast Guard Station Brant Point's executive petty officer Jeff Wecal confirmed that his crew is assisting the Nantucket Police Department in its investigation.

The boat was designed by Jeff Leishman, and boasts four decks of over 24 meters each. 

It has three large guest cabins, an owner's cabin, a laundry room, as well as a main saloon and formal dining room.

The yacht also has a hot tub on board, and can house up to eight guests as well as accommodation for two crew members. It was registered in the Cayman Islands.

According to public records, Burke has a hearing in Nantucket scheduled for October. He is allowed to remain in Florida until then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bridgeport coach resigns as police investigate $5k strip club charge on BISD credit card

Texas high school soccer coach, JD Bales resigned from his position after being accused of spending $5,455.81 on a Bridgeport ISD credit card

Police have confirmed that the “allegations of misconduct regarding the use of district funds” which led to the resignation of Bridgeport High School’s soccer coach was due to suspected use of a Bridgeport ISD credit card at a Houston strip club this summer. The school board accepted coach JD Bales resignation at its meeting Monday. Bridgeport Police Chief Steve Stanford said Bales is accused of charging $5,455.81 on a district credit card at The Men’s Club of Houston while attending a coaching clinic in July. “We were informed by the district in September that a large amount was charged to the Texas Richmond Corporation, which is the club’s parent company,” Stanford said. “We then initiated an investigation. [Bales] has repaid the full amount to the district, but we’re still gathering information and conducting interviews.” Stanford does not believe the investigation will lead to criminal charges against the former coach since the district has been reimbursed for the charged amount. 

Sorry for partying?

Edited by RPM

Drunk stripper attempts to seduce police officer, asks to be tased because "she likes it kinky"

She also pissed her pants in the back of the police cruiser if you are into that.

A 'drunk' stripper was caught trying to seduce an Ohio police officer during her hit-and-run traffic stop in newly released body cam footage.

Grace Spoonamore, 20, was taken into custody by Brunswick police in April after she allegedly slammed into a Chevy Cruze within clear view of a uniformed officer. 

In footage from the arrest, Spoonamore - who appears visibly intoxicated - attempts to flirt and seduce the officer, even telling him to taser her as she 'likes it kinky.' 

At one point, as the officer tells her to get into the police car, Spoonamore calls him 'handsome man' and says: 'You feel some type of way cause my leg ain't in the car?' 

An edited version of the original one-hour bodycam video has gone viral on YouTube, amassing more than 1 million views in four days. 

According to a police report obtained by DailyMail.com, the 20-year-old woman was driving in a blue Buick Enclave which came back with felony warrants attached. 

The officer observed the woman speed off at a green light and slam into another car, prompting him to begin following her as she appeared to be fleeing from him. 

The cop eventually pulled her over, and the officer noted Spoonamore appeared disoriented with bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. 

In the video, she initially denies being under the influence but then tells the officer that she had 'two doubles' of patron at 'Trick's' house. 

She later told a second responding officer that she had really had three doubles, which amounts to six total drinks. 

After being put in handcuffs, Spoonamore is asked if she has anything on her, which causes her to laugh and tell the officer, 'I don't know, you want to check me?' 

As she is sitting in the patrol car, Officer Dominick Demedal asks the Georgia native what her current address is, which she refuses to give. 

'Don't worry bout all that,' she responds. 'I'm not giving it to you.'  

'What are you going to do if I don't?' she asks. 

'Charge you with obstruction,' he says. 

'Construction of what?' she responds before he states 'official business.' 

'Okay, that's cool, I don't care,' Spoonamore yells back. 

During another wild moment, Demedal is caught off guard as Spoonamore tells him that she is a stripper at an undisclosed club. 

'Where's that,' he responds. 

'What the f**k do you mean what's that?' she states. 'You know.'  

As Demedal is filling out the paperwork for the arrest and prior to her alcohol and drug testing, Spoonamore allegedly spat on Brunswick Officer Robert Dugan. 

The incident was not caught on camera but the moments after show Spoonamore kicking on the car's plexiglass divider as the officer tries to speak with her.

Minutes later, she is seen crying and telling the officers she doesn't trust them and asks if she can step out of the patrol car and talk to the two male officers 'woman to woman.' 

Another peculiar moment during the arrest comes when one of Spoonamore's buddies approaches the officers and tells them she is looking for her friend. 

The unidentified woman tells officers that Spoonamore had 'left the family function and was in this area' and was concerned for her. 

The officers then tell her about the drunk driving, hit-and-run, and the assault on a police officer, saying: 'Yeah, she's going to jail.' 

Cops then ask the friend if they can give her address or tell them how long she has lived in the Northeast Ohio area but she says she doesn't know and asks 'why does that matter?' 

As the officers were carting the Georgia woman off to the police station, she threatens to 'piss on' the officer's face, but only if he 'likes it.' 

She ultimately does pee her pants in the backseat of the cruiser. 

'I couldn't help it,' she says as they walk into the police station. 

While standing and waiting for her mugshot to be taken, she repeatedly attempts to take off her pants while the officer looks for a female officer to help her. 

Spoonamore steps out of the blue box taped on the floor as he tells her to stay there until she steps to him and says she would be okay with getting tasered. 

'You want to tase me? Do it. I like it. I like it kinky,' she says. 

As the officers take the woman back out of the station and to a patrol car, she begins screaming and crying and claiming that they are going to rape her. 

'You're going to rape me, stop trying to rape me,' she calls out. 

She then lays down and resists being put in the vehicle to go to the hospital, kicking and yelling that they are trying to take her 'down to Mexico.'  

The officers comment on the odd Mexico statement while she sits in the car screaming, asking 'where does that come into play?' to no answer. 

Online, some social media users have speculated and wondered if the 20-year-old from Georgia may have been sexually trafficked. 

The video ends with Spoonamore and Demedal in the patrol vehicle on the way to the hospital as she continues to weep. 

The woman was ultimately arrested on suspicion of speeding, operating a vehicle under the influence, obstructing official business and simple assault on an officer.

Medina County court records show she has been charged with at least one count of harassment with a bodily substance, purportedly for spitting on the officer. 

Spoonamore will next appear before a judge on September 18 for pretrial. 

Her criminal trial is set to begin October 2 in Brunswick.

• Drool 1

Oldie but goodie.

Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Fla.

roacheatingcontestdeath082241-300x300.jp

MIAMI — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

https://nypost.com/2012/10/09/man-dies-after-live-roach-eating-contest-in-fla/amp/

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't there a few pilots here on Surly?  If so, did any of them work for British Airways?  

Married British Airways pilot Mike Beaton snorts coke off topless woman – then tries to fly packed holiday plane to UK

A BRITISH Airways pilot snorted coke off a woman’s bare breasts before trying to fly a packed jet to the UK.

Married Mike Beaton, of Devon, boasted of his drug and drink orgy to a stewardess friend, admitting: “I’ve been a very naughty boy.”

The appalled pal reported him to bosses who cancelled last month’s flight from Johannesburg to London, then drug-tested and sacked him.

First Officer Mike Beaton was about to fly from South Africa to London when a worried stewardess raised the alarm.

Shocked bosses then cancelled the 12-hour flight, costing the airline an estimated £100,000.

The dad of one was suspended then flown home the next day as a passenger, before being drug-tested at Heathrow.

When that proved positive, he was sacked.

BA’s latest booze-fuelled drama came to light after Beaton flew to Johannesburg, where he had downtime before he was scheduled to co-pilot a return flight to London.

However, his night off descended into debauchery, which he then described in intimate detail in texts to his stewardess colleague, who was a close pal.

Beaton told her that he met two local lads, a female Welsh holidaymaker and a “young Spanish bird” at a nightclub in the city.

The pilot boasted: “We all walk (stagger) back up to the hotel bar for ‘one last one before bed’.

“Welsh and one of these guys is getting on very well, but she’s told him that I’m her boyfriend.

“Couple of drinks in the bar, bit of snogging, and then we’re somehow all on our way to this dude’s flat. 

"Welsh has decided that I should actually be her boyfriend — Spanish has hooked up with one of the two local lads and is having her t**s sucked on their sofa.”

He bragged about how the “girls are dancing topless”, and he decided to strip off too — before some Class A drugs arrived.

The ex-pilot went on: “I’ve lost my shirt somewhere and one of the local lads produces a plate with a few lines of coke.

"So then there’s a debate about whose chest is the best to do a bump off.”

He added triumphantly: “That’s the story of how I ended up snorting coke off a girl’s t**s in Joburg.”

Beaton then admitted the evening had taken its toll, confessing: “Stayed the night with Welsh, sh** her for ages (I guess the coke played a part) and then was so f** I couldn’t even lift my head until gone 2.”

An airline source said yesterday BA has been left in shock at the behaviour of their former employee, who runs a hot tub retreat in Devon with wife Jagoda.

They told The Sun: “Of all the bad behaviour that goes on downroute between flights, this incident is hard to believe.

“A First Officer is trained rigorously and knows the law inside out. Their remit is protecting the safety of passengers.

“This behaviour was the opposite of what is expected of British Airways pilots. The airline is in shock. This pilot has hoisted himself by his own petard.

“The idea of sending details of his drink and drugs session to a stewardess between flights is extraordinarily dumb.

“Furious managers followed ­protocol and the pilot was drug-tested on his return to the UK.

“The alcohol would no longer have been found in his system, but the Class A drug was. He will never fly again.”

The scandal is the latest wild tale of BA crew on boozy nights out.

Earlier this month we revealed how a stewardess was nicked outside a strip club in Miami after downing drinks with crew from rivals Virgin Atlantic.

In April we told how a BA pilot was reported to cops in Singapore after allegedly sexually assaulting a stewardess on a boozy night out.

Last March it emerged staff were banned from all-inclusive deals in the Maldives after a drunk stewardess passed out on a beach.

Last night, BA sources insisted there was no risk to passengers following their pilot’s Johannesburg binge four weeks ago.

An airline spokesman told The Sun: “Safety is always our top priority. 

"The matter was referred to the CAA and this individual no longer works for us.”

The Civil Aviation Authority has withdrawn his medical certificate — banning him from the flight deck.

A CAA spokesman told us: “An airline must immediately inform us if a UK pilot has misused drink or drugs boarding, or being on board, an aircraft.

“In these cases we would immediately suspend the pilot’s medical which means they cannot fly.

“In most cases the pilot would have an assessment with an expert medical team and if they wished to return to flying then a comprehensive rehabilitation programme would be put in place.

"The medical would only be reinstated if we were completely satisfied.”

Last night Beaton’s wife declined to comment at their £750,000 home, saying: “You must speak to my husband about it.”

FIRST Officer Mike Beaton laid bare the graphic details of his Johannesburg stopover in texts.

A source said the sacked pilot was “extraordinarily dumb” to spill the beans to a ­stewardess, who raised the alarm.

57 minutes ago, RPM said:

This is the crux of the story.

“The idea of sending details of his drink and drugs session to a stewardess between flights is extraordinarily dumb.“

It seems to me that the dumb part might have been going on a bender while on duty. Call me crazy.  

Reminds me of either Surly or aggy.

Wyoming Ranchers Accused Of Bleaching Penis Shapes Onto Neighbor’s Cows

Accused of bleaching images of male genitalia and other markings onto their neighbor’s cows, a Crook County father and son are now facing felony-level property destruction charges.  

Two criminal complaints filed last month in the Sundance Circuit Court allege that Patrick Sean Carroll, who is 66 this year, and his son Tucker Kye Carroll, who is 34 this year, funneled 189 heifers and six bulls into a chute and bleach-dyed them to get a neighbor’s attention after three years of having the cattle cross onto their land.  

Some of the heifers had penis shapes bleached onto their bodies, according to an evidentiary affidavit written by Crook County Sheriff’s Deputy Alex Jessen. 

Coming On For Three Years 

The Crook County Sheriff’s Office received a complaint June 21 from the cattle’s owner, Philip Habeck, saying his neighbor had “bleached” some of his yearling heifers.  

The day before, Habeck’s ranch hand had noticed that some cattle got out of their pasture and went over to Sean Carroll’s land. Another hand came to help her get them back in, but they couldn’t find them, the affidavit says.  

Later that evening the ranch hand and her dad went to Carroll’s corrals, and there they found Habeck’s cattle in the corral. Sean Carroll was “marking” the cows with bleach while two other men helped push the cattle through the alley and into a chute, the document claims, adding that the bleach is a common peroxide mixture used to mark cattle for “various reasons.”  

The ranch hand’s father witnessed the bleaching, the affidavit says.  

“This has been coming for three years,” Sean Carroll reportedly told the man. Carroll then told the man to leave so he wasn’t a part of the feud, the affidavit says.  

So, the man told his daughter to get in the pickup and they soon left. But first, she snapped some photographs of the bleached cows.

The photographs show heifers that had been bleached all along their backs. Some had bleach marks around their faces. One photo displayed “an attempt at drawing a penis” on a cow's ribs, says the affidavit.  

No Injuries Though 

Habeck asked sheriff’s personnel if there could be some criminal charges to make up for his financial losses.  

Jessen said he’d need to look into that.  

He returned to Habeck’s ranch July 3 with Dr. Wade Crawford of Crook County Veterinarian Serfices, Wyoming Livestock investigator Chris Strang and Wyoming Brand Inspectors Glen Gordon and Toni Gipson, says the document.  

The brand inspectors verified that all the bleached cows were Habeck’s.  

The affidavit says Crawford inspected them for injuries from the bleach since the photos showed a pasty concoction that may have been thicker than ranchers typically use.  

Crawford noted very few instances of skin irritation or damage, but no damage to any of the animals’ eyes. The bleach marks ranged from a football-sized spot on a cow’s back to spine-length markings to genitalia drawings, the affidavit says.  

The deputy took drone photos of several heifers sorted off in another pen, that had not been marked, for comparison.  

Down $140,000 

Rusty Williamson of Williamson Land and Livestock also came to the corrals, says the affidavit.  

Williamson has experience selling between 30,000 and 40,000 head of bred heifers every year, including this same type of heifers from Habeck’s breeding program, says the affidavit.  

He estimated each bleached animal now was worth $500 to $700 less per head, but said he’d consult with some buyers.  

And he did. The buyers reportedly told Williamson that the heifers, unmarked, would have been worth about $2,600 per head, but now they were worth about $1,850.  

Buyers may think the cows were marked to signal something wrong with them, says the affidavit.  

The loss among 189 heifers would be $141,750, says the affidavit. This figure doesn’t account for any losses among the marked bulls.  

In Wyoming, property destruction rises to the felony level if more than $1,000 worth of goods are destroyed.  

Crook County Attorney Joseph Baron charged Tucker and Sean Carroll each with two counts of property destruction. Each count is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and $10,000 in fines.  

Marking Them Up  

Jessen interviewed Carroll July 10, the affidavit says, adding that Carroll said he’d love to talk about the incident.

Habeck has leased the ranch neighboring Carroll’s since 2014. But over the past three years, the number of cows that get through the fence onto Carroll’s property has increased to the point that hundreds cross over at any given time, Carroll said, according to the affidavit.  

Carroll grew frustrated. When he would call Habeck to let him know, Habeck would be “laid back like it’s not a big deal,” says the document.

“It sometimes takes Philip (Habeck) a few days to move his cows back,” the affidavit relates from the interview.  

Carroll reportedly “admitted” the fence is old and in poor condition, but said when they see a problem they try to fix it.  

Then Habeck’s cattle crossed over about June 20. The Carrolls were branding that day and decided it was time “to get Philip’s attention,” says the affidavit.  

The document claims Sean and Tucker Carroll – and another man whom Sean Carroll would not name – pushed the cattle up the alley, into the chute and “marked them up pretty good.” 

Jessen asked about the penises.  

That maneuver was to mock Habeck for thinking the fence issue was a “game” and “never (doing) anything to fix the problem,” the affidavit says. 

Nothing To Do With That 

Jessen spoke with Tucker Carroll by phone Aug. 11. Tucker gave the same story and insisted that the third man didn’t know what was going on and had nothing to do with the Carrolls’ feud with Habeck, says the affidavit. 

The third man echoed that in his own phone call with Jessen, saying he just liked to help out when he could.  

About This Fence 

Habeck described the problems with the fence differently, giving a shorter timeline.  

He said the boundary fence crosses a creek, and several times “with all the recent rain,” the water gaps in the fence would get washed out. And when the water went down, the cows could move right through the fence, the affidavit relates.  

Habeck noted there was an arrangement in the works, with money being allocated from one of the ranches he leases to repair that fence. The affidavit doesn’t explain how Carroll might be involved in that arrangement, but it relates from Habeck’s interview: “After this incident, he said any deal with Carroll is off.”  

Habeck also said that his ranch hand had rebuilt several of the water gaps in the fence, and that Carroll would sit on his porch “just watching them” as they fixed it.

Cop outted as OnlyFans model after pulling over subscriber: ‘I saw you have sex’

female-cop-onlyfans-model-subscriber.jpg

A Minneapolis police officer is under investigation after it was discovered that she was operating an OnlyFans account when she pulled over one of her subscribers.

A “well-respected cop” has some explaining to do after a man refused to be arrested when he determined that an officer who had pulled him over was actually an OnlyFans model.

The Daily Star reports that a driver had been subscribed to an OnlyFans account for five months when he ended up being pulled over by a model he watches quite frequently.

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/cop-outted-as-onlyfans-model-after-pulling-over-subscriber-i-saw-you-have-sex-2323253/

Edited by nnm

Crocs Cowboy Boots? ‘Don’t Overthink It.’

The company sure didn’t when it was developing its mutant cowboy boots, the brand’s latest attempt to create a wearable meme.

06COWBOY-CROCS-pfjm-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

John Wayne never dreamed of this kind of ventilation.

A pair of cowboy boots was unveiled on Thursday by Crocs, the footwear brand best known for aesthetically questionable clogs that combine the composition of a pool noodle with the perforation of Swiss cheese.

The new boots make regular Crocs look like dress shoes. Picture a pair of the clogs rendered in a glossy, black crocodile-skin texture. Then add the top half of a cowboy boot, complete with pull straps and hokey embroidery. Then add spurs.

“I did a little bit of a double take,” said Steve Natto, 25, a sneaker YouTuber in Philadelphia, when he saw the shoes on Instagram on Thursday.

That was most likely the goal for Crocs, a brand that has courted attention and outrage online through a series of bizarre shoe releases. There were the KFC chicken-scented Crocs in 2020 and the high-heeled Crocs, created in collaboration with Balenciaga, in 2021. Just last month, the company released chartreuse Shrek Crocs with ears.

The cowboy boots, which go on sale on Oct. 23 for $120 a pair, also follow in the footsteps of the Big Red Boots created by the smart-alecky collective MSCHF — another stunt item that was hailed as an ironic masterpiece online.

Will customers find the Crocs cowboy boots similarly hilarious? Or have they begun to tire of the viral footwear shtick?

“I think there’s definitely going to be a market for it,” said Mr. Natto, who was among the first to clomp around in the MSCHF boots on social media. Although he couldn’t imagine wearing the boots to run errands, he said, he would certainly post in them.

The idea for Crocs cowboy boots came from memes made by fans on social media, according to Heidi Cooley, the company’s chief marketing officer. The brand’s design and product development teams met in January to discuss ideas they had seen floating around online, and hoped to select one to release during the month the company has christened “Croctober.”

As soon as the cowboy boot idea came up, it was game over. “That meeting took us about 12 minutes,” Ms. Cooley said.

The design team got to work, fine-tuning the decorative stitching and suggesting a detachable spur. When a fan has a funny idea, she added, “we don’t overthink it.”

Crocs exploded in popularity in the early months of the pandemic, when comfort took precedence over stylishness for many customers. The brand’s sales have remained strong in recent years, and the company has cultivated a following among Gen Z customers.

Ms. Cooley said the company’s marketing team was aware that even its tamest products are polarizing. All the more reason to dive headfirst into meme culture, she said, and to design novelty products to generate conversation.

“It is disruptive, and it allows Crocs to leverage what we believe is a competitive advantage,” she said. “We love creating things that nobody thinks we can.”

She declined to say how many cowboy boots would be manufactured. The team had been surprised in the past by higher-than-expected demand for some of its novelty products, she said.

Many apparel brands would risk undermining their credibility with a stream of gag products, said Jared Watson, an assistant professor of marketing at the New York University Stern School of Business. But Crocs has found a way to poke fun at people who already think the shoes are ugly. “With that sort of mentality of hate-consumption or hate-engagement, Crocs has had this opportunity to really push those boundaries,” he said.

Crocs may also be trying to capitalize on a recent wave of interest in western apparel. Beyoncé’s Renaissance World Tour this summer was packed with cowboy hats decorated to look like disco balls. In the audience for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, cowboy boots tapped along with the pop star’s early-career country hits.

Still, some frontiers are too wild even for the most passionate of Crocs fans.

Professor Watson, who owns three pairs of classic Crocs, recently joined an online waiting list to buy the Shrek clogs. But he bailed at the last second, struggling to imagine the shoes working as well offscreen.

“I will not wear those in public,” he said. “I don’t want people to think I’m a weird person.”

Hundreds of vagina plaster casts spill onto road after crash

They came a long way — but probably didn’t make the opening.

Hundreds of white plaster casts of vaginas, believed to have been en route to an art gallery, tumbled onto a road in Irkutsk, Russia, last month after a traffic crash.

Bizarre video footage shot by a passerby on Sept. 22 shows a trail of broken vaginas leading up to the back of a truck, CEN reports.

In the short clip, a man believed to be the driver tries to secure his lost load.

“There was apparently no significant material damage, as no one called the traffic police at the time,” the department regional headquarters of the Ministry of Internal Affairs later said in a statement.

“After exchanging details, they apparently left to continue their journeys,” the statement continued.

Vaginal art was pioneered by British sculptor Jamie McCartney, who shot to fame for his 26-foot wall installation “The Great Wall of Vagina,” comprised of plaster casts taken from over 400 women’s genitals.

Other unusual cargo that has spilled onto roads in recent years include nacho cheese in Arkansas; dice in Georgia; and tomatoes in California.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could probably go in several different threads but I'll just put it here.

Video: Florida man with ‘all gas, no brakes’ neck tattoo crashes after fleeing Polk County crime scene

image.png.78137d698f2668b26e339d69cd417160.png

DAVENPORT, Fla. - A man has been arrested and a woman remains hospitalized after deputies say the couple was involved in a vehicle crash as they tried to flee from authorities in a Polk County subdivision following reports of car burglaries. 

According to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to a report of a car burglary in the Preservation Pointe neighborhood off of County Road 547 at around 3:28 a.m. on Monday. Deputies say a man and a woman were seen trying to break into several vehicles in the neighborhood. 

According to PCSO, the suspects’ white 2006 Cadillac CTS was last seen headed toward the only exit out of the neighborhood. 

A deputy says he tried to pull the Cadillac over, but it sped away into the neighborhood. PCSO says the deputy did not pursue the car because there was only one way in and out of the subdivision. 

"There's one way in and one way out," said Brian Bruchey, a spokesperson with PCSO. "They were like a trapped mouse running around trying to get out of there." 

While speeding through the streets, investigators say the suspects sped past one deputy, turned around and sped back down the same street while trying to find a way out. 

According to PCSO, the Cadillac eventually slammed into a parked and unoccupied vehicle.

"If they were to lose control they could slam into a house and people could get hurt. Well, somebody did get hurt. It was the burglars," said Bruchey.

Deputies say they immediately pulled the two suspects out of the disabled Cadillac and called for emergency medical services.

According to PCSO, Timothy Allen Hogue, 37, of Apopka, was driving the Cadillac when it crashed and 31-year-old Rebecca Kozub of Ocoee, was in the passenger seat.

Detectives who interviewed Hogue after he was released from the hospital, say he admitted to the burglaries and that the crime was Kozub’s idea.

According to deputies, Hogue said that he fled because he, "just freaked out."

"Fleeing from a law enforcement traffic stop demonstrates very poor decision making, but to do it in a small, residential neighborhood at a high rate of speed is a terrible idea, and dangerous. It’s amazing and fortunate that nobody innocent was hurt or killed. They could have very easily crashed into a house. It should not come as a surprise that the driver has a tattoo on his neck that says, ‘All gas, no brakes’," stated Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

Hogue, who has a prior criminal history that consists of 31 felonies and 18 misdemeanors, is now faces charges of burglary of an unoccupied conveyance with enhancement of crossing county lines, felony petit theft, fleeing to elude, conspiracy to commit burglary, possession of methamphetamine, possession of marijuana less than 20g, possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting without violence.

A judge set Hogue's bond at $11,500.

Deputies say charges are pending against Kozub, who suffered a broken leg in the crash and is still in the hospital. She has 19 prior felonies and 20 prior misdemeanors, according to PCSO. 

Brown Friday: A busy day for plumbers

Why are plumbers so busy the day after Thanksgiving?

No, that’s not the entry line into a joke that a family member or friend may tell at the dinner table on Thursday.

Instead, the question references the big holiday meal preparations and kitchen cleanups that many times result in overloaded kitchen sinks, garbage disposals, toilets and sewer lines on Thanksgiving or the day after. The situation can create stress for host families and result in a load of calls to plumbers.
…..

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/brown-friday-a-busy-day-for-plumbers/article_5339c88c-88be-11ee-9516-63f15d1c7c40.html#tncms-source=home-featured-7-block

• 2 weeks later...