Pat Mahomes Makes a Ridiculous No Look Pass

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m still grateful tech ran off baker but holy shit I was wrong thinking it was stupid.  This kid is the real deal.  

Kliff is gonna do some work in LA.  Pac needs some innovative minds.  They fucking suck. 

Tech didn't run Baker off.  Baker Mayfield ran away.

and yes, knowing patrick Mahomes was coming was a factor when he was already sweating beating out Davis Webb.

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Saw every one of his games in college. Saw the no look more than once.  As good as it is, the one above is probably the least impressive one I've seen.  

He's done several that were even more extreme look one way, throw another.  The guy's quite a piece of work.

I'd say a no look pass against an NFL defense on a 4th and 9 to keep the game alive is more impressive than anything against a college defense.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Tech didn't run Baker off.  Baker Mayfield ran away.

and yes, knowing patrick Mahomes was coming was a factor when he was already sweating beating out Davis Webb.

Either way.  Baker ended up making the right move even if he was going to start at tech. 

Point is Kliff had the best QB stable in the country and ended up fired a couple years later.  Crazy.  

Actually the real point is Mahomes, holy fuck.   

14 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It was a great play. But there was also a guy wide open on the right sideline who would have scored a TD.

you don't necessarily want to take that risk of making the long throw when you have to make this first down on 4th down. take the sure thing.

• Like 2

Life-long Chiefs fan and I gotta say I was skeptical when KC let A. Smith go because, well now you're going with a Tech QB in the NFL.  But damn that boy good and fun as hell to watch.  Going to be interesting to see how he does next season and if the sophomore slump will hit.  I'm thinking no it won't because I don't know how you can defend against an arm like that.  Might want to tap the brakes but I have a feeling he will end up in the Aaron Rodgers / Drew Brees etc. stratosphere.

33 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It was a great play. But there was also a guy wide open on the right sideline who would have scored a TD.

Mahomes might not make 57 passing TDs this season...

That’s the target for free ketchup for life from Heinz. Yes, Mahomes is a ketchup fiend...who throws the football better than almost anybody else on the planet. Sorry he missed one...

why in the world do you need to do a "no-look" pass in the NFL? it serves no purpose. looking a defender off your intended target is one thing but not looking at who you are throwing to is just stupid and will result in INTs more often than not. there is no doubt that mahomes is exciting but my guess is his career ends up more like Matthew Stafford than an all-time great. He is just too reckless with the ball. 

37 minutes ago, po elvis said:

you don't necessarily want to take that risk of making the long throw when you have to make this first down on 4th down. take the sure thing.

Yep. Much better to throw a no look pass across the body to a guy that was covered relatively well. That's a much higher percentage play.

edit: he was not covered relatively well. still....

Edited by irishtexan

14 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

why in the world do you need to do a "no-look" pass in the NFL? it serves no purpose. looking a defender off your intended target is one thing but not looking at who you are throwing to is just stupid and will result in INTs more often than not. there is no doubt that mahomes is exciting but my guess is his career ends up more like Matthew Stafford than an all-time great. He is just too reckless with the ball. 

Party pooper.

18 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Cool Skip Bayless take. He knows exactly where the left side corner is (covering Kelce), and where he's going with the ball. If he can keep Clark (the safety in the middle, #36) from cheating left (which he does by fucking staring to the right of Clark instead of at his receiver who's cutting across the field with a man chasing him), there is no risk to that throw at all as there is no one else besides his receiver that could possibly have a chance at making the catch. If he doesn't keep Clark there with his eyes, he can easily cheat over and jump in that passing lane. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'd say a no look pass against an NFL defense on a 4th and 9 to keep the game alive is more impressive than anything against a college defense.

It wasn't 4th and 9, that was a different, equally impressive play:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/true-view-patrick-mahomes-hits-tyreek-hill-on-crucial-4th-down-in-360-degrees

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Cool Skip Bayless take. He knows exactly where the left side corner is (covering Kelce), and where he's going with the ball. If he can keep Clark (the safety in the middle, #36) from cheating left (which he does by fucking staring to the right of Clark instead of at his receiver who's cutting across the field with a man chasing him), there is no risk to that throw at all as there is no one else besides his receiver that could possibly have a chance at making the catch. If he doesn't keep Clark there with his eyes, he can easily cheat over and jump in that passing lane. 

It wasn't 4th and 9, that was a different, equally impressive play:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/true-view-patrick-mahomes-hits-tyreek-hill-on-crucial-4th-down-in-360-degrees

you move or hold the safety with looking before the throw. there is no reason to not look while throwing. its stupid and will lead to interceptions more often than not. changing arm angles and platforms and "no look" throws sound cool and all but there is a reason the best of all time rarely do any of that. the consistency of their motions leads to consistently accurate throws. putting the ball where it needs to be over and over and over again is what leads to championships not "no-look" throws. 

it was an exciting play and really cool to watch tho...

41 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

you move or hold the safety with looking before the throw. there is no reason to not look while throwing. its stupid and will lead to interceptions more often than not. changing arm angles and platforms and "no look" throws sound cool and all but there is a reason the best of all time rarely do any of that. the consistency of their motions leads to consistently accurate throws. putting the ball where it needs to be over and over and over again is what leads to championships not "no-look" throws. 

it was an exciting play and really cool to watch tho...

You need to rewatch the play from another angle and see how close Clark was to the throwing lane. As soon as he looked left he would be in the lane and the throw wouldn't be there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Saw every one of his games in college. Saw the no look more than once.  As good as it is, the one above is probably the least impressive one I've seen.  

He's done several that were even more extreme look one way, throw another.  The guy's quite a piece of work.

Would like to see some plays to which you are referring. 

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You need to rewatch the play from another angle and see how close Clark was to the throwing lane. As soon as he looked left he would be in the lane and the throw wouldn't be there.

Yes #36 was clearly following Mahomes’ eyes and was caught off guard by direction of throw.  Was it necessary?  That’s hard to tell, but it looks like it accomplished what he intended. 

31 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

then you make another throw or throw it away. 

Not if you’re good enough to do the above. I’ll wait for a link to Mahomes trying no look throw and it getting picked or causing unnecessary incompletion. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

there is no doubt that mahomes is exciting but my guess is his career ends up more like Matthew Stafford than an all-time great. He is just too reckless with the ball. 

Maybe, but I’d say for his first year starting the risk/reward has been great. Accounted for 45 TDs/19 turnovers. 11ints/8fumbles.  Also likely top 2 for MVP. I think Brees will get it this year as a kind of lifetime achievement award.  Did Stafford ever have a season like Mahomes’ first?  Maybe one off the top of my head. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Bullshit.

QBs constantly use their "eyes" or apparent vector of vision to influence defenders.

My guess is that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to football.

Stafford's base play was chunk it deep and watch Megatron perform miracles.  Mahomes is a completely different player.

Edited by slorch

Posted it in the Kyler Murray thread, posting it here too:

“Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless”. -Kenny Powers

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Bullshit.

QBs constantly use their "eyes" or apparent vector of vision to influence defenders.

My guess is that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to football.

Stafford's base play was chunk it deep and watch Megatron perform miracles.  Mahomes is a completely different player.

did you even read what i wrote? QBs use their eyes to influence defenders. but once the defender has been held by the QB's eyes, he should then turn to his target and make his throw, not make a no-look pass. the risk-reward with this kind of play isnt even up for debate. mahomes pulled it off. and it was an exciting play. but it is not what QBs are taught nor what they should do.  

Patick Mahomes' innovation with the football has been known for a longass time.  You're getting pissed off about Barry Sanders' reversing the field or Khalil Mack selling out on the passrush every once in a while.

Bench em all.  Follow the script, gotdammit.

Who the fuck are you, Jeff Fisher?

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Patick Mahomes' innovation with the football has been known for a longass time.  You're getting pissed off about Barry Sanders' reversing the field or Khalil Mack selling out on the passrush every once in a while.

Bench em all.  Follow the script, gotdammit.

Who the fuck are you, Jeff Fisher?

whoa. jeff fisher? too far man, too far.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

then you make another throw or throw it away. 

Throw it away on 4th down on the game ending drive?  Bold move.

Why replay what he should have done when what he did got the job done?  It was a great play.

Regarding who he will become, it is way too early to say.  Dak played a lot looser his first year as a starter and looked like he could be great.  When he was settled into the system he looks more ordinary than great.  Part of what made Brett Farve an all timer is that he wasn't contained by anything but his ability.  If Mahomes is going to be HOF caliber it is going to be because his coach lets him play.  His coach needs to make sure he is prepared but at the end of the day the kid needs the ball to be rolled out and to let the throws and the game come.  If you contain him then you have another Joe Flacco.  You can win either way, but one way gets you a marketable great player and the other gets you an expensive QB that will be tough to transition away from when it is over before the player expects it to be.

I don't think the chiefs will win a SB until Pitt and NE are done being playoff stalwarts.  But the chiefs need to just ride mahomes and let the chips fall where they may.  I thought the chiefs would be garbage this year so take everything I just said with a spoonful of salt.

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Throw it away on 4th down on the game ending drive?  Bold move.

Why replay what he should have done when what he did got the job done?  It was a great play.

Regarding who he will become, it is way too early to say.  Dak played a lot looser his first year as a starter and looked like he could be great.  When he was settled into the system he looks more ordinary than great.  Part of what made Brett Farve an all timer is that he wasn't contained by anything but his ability.  If Mahomes is going to be HOF caliber it is going to be because his coach lets him play.  His coach needs to make sure he is prepared but at the end of the day the kid needs the ball to be rolled out and to let the throws and the game come.  If you contain him then you have another Joe Flacco.  You can win either way, but one way gets you a marketable great player and the other gets you an expensive QB that will be tough to transition away from when it is over before the player expects it to be.

I don't think the chiefs will win a SB until Pitt and NE are done being playoff stalwarts.  But the chiefs need to just ride mahomes and let the chips fall where they may.  I thought the chiefs would be garbage this year so take everything I just said with a spoonful of salt.

it was a great play. i think Favre is another fair comparison. im not a fan of either. 

Was going to say that we all know that Maverick should have banked right to extend and escape.  But the genius isn't in living to fly another day. The genius is in pulling a split-S and a vertical climb to move in with a missile for the kill.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Was going to say that we all know that Maverick should have banked right to extend and escape.  But the genius isn't in living to fly another day. The genius is in pulling a split-S and a vertical climb to move in with a missile for the kill.

but his recklessness got Goose kilt. steady iceman never made any mistakes, and never killed his RIO. do you really want to see Travis Kelce die because of Mahomes' recklessness?

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

but his recklessness got Goose kilt. steady iceman never made any mistakes, and never killed his RIO. do you really want to see Travis Kelce die because of Mahomes' recklessness?

I don't want to speak for Patrick but I'm sure his team and the ball come first.  I think what is really happening here is that you're worried that if you give an honest assessment of his performance then we'd all see right through you and call you a t-shirt fan.

• Like 1

is this where i say that i couldnt say my real thoughts in this thread? because everyone would realize i have fallen for Mahomes? how the heck did you turn me into Kelly McGillis? i want the truth! no, wait. wrong movie.

i am excited for KC and Mahomes. i love Texas QBs experiencing success in the pros. and i love the spread offense following along with them.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

is this where i say that i couldnt say my real thoughts in this thread? because everyone would realize i have fallen for Mahomes? how the heck did you turn me into Kelly McGillis? i want the truth! no, wait. wrong movie.

i am excited for KC and Mahomes. i love Texas QBs experiencing success in the pros. and i love the spread offense following along with them.

The shit thing is that the coaches in the NFL are so strict on their procedure that there is about a 80% chance he will never reach his full potential.  I'd say even russell wilson is handcuffed.  Cam certainly is, Tebow and Vince definitely were even when they showed flashes of brilliance.  Mahomes is lucky to have reid, but if he had a coach like gruden he probably has half the touchdowns and twice the picks.  Hopefully he is just allowed to ball out his entire career.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, seven said:

Look at all the old curmudgeons in this thread, lol. Probably mad at these new fangled plastic helmets too, the leather ones were doing just fine! 

I'm 48.

am i old?

Count me as a fan of the talent some of the young uns like Mahomes, Mack, and Donald are bringing to the game.

Innovation and improvisation are huge parts of what makes football fun to watch, IMHO.