Cooking question: caramelizing onions

Gil Bang

So I make French Onion Soup.  It's damm tasty.  But, it lacks that great brown color.  I cook the onions until I'm blue in the face in a dutch oven. I've added salt, I've added sugar, etc...nothing works.  I want my onions to be nice and brown.  What am I doing wrong?

I do onions for 30 minutes on medium. 

After melting the butter, the first 10 minutes is just the onions. Stir once or twice to keep things even. 

Next 10 minutes with Salt, a shitload of Black Pepper, and a shot of Red Wine Vinegar. Stir once or twice to keep things even. 

Next 10 minutes with Honey added to make it gooey and help carmelize. Stir 2 or 3 times to keep from burning until desired color. 

They turn out amazing every time. 

Julia's Child's method has worked very well for me.  Melt 2T butter with 1T vegetable oil,.  Mix in the onions, cover, and cook over med-low for 20 mins until tender.  Then add 1/2t sugar and 1t salt, bump up to med-high, and cook for another 20 mins, stirring frequently.  The video is for onion soup, but the method produces wonderfully browned, caramelized onions for all applications.

Edited by Dutch

I've obviously been doing this wrong for lack of complication.  My method has always been:  melt a little butter, put onions in, make them hot but not too fast, and stir them so all surfaces hit the heat over the course of, say, 20 minutes.  Fin.

But that's just for general burger, tex-mex, or steak sandwich purposes.... I imagine there's much more refinement needed for FO soup.