Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

Definitely a cool pic, @jimmyjazz More details, please, on how this happened. Bono just walked in, saw how awesome y'all were and said "I want to take a selfie with you cool dudes"? And I realize it's all camera perspective, but he almost looks taller than most of your crew which would make y'all a bunch of liliputians.

15 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Definitely a cool pic, @jimmyjazz More details, please, on how this happened. Bono just walked in, saw how awesome y'all were and said "I want to take a selfie with you cool dudes"? And I realize it's all camera perspective, but he almost looks taller than most of your crew which would make y'all a bunch of liliputians.

For starters, I'm not in the photo.  I live in Austin, not Chicago.  As I heard it, he walked in and was happy to oblige anyone who wanted a photo or a chat.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Ahh, a true Irishman to the bone. Nicely done, Bono. And I misread your original post, JJ, and thought you joined your friends in Chicago for this quarterly get together, or at least on occasion. I was kinda jealous of that level of friendship.

Believe me, I'd like to go sometime, but honestly I'd need to wrap a vacation around it.  Maybe this summer, I love summer in Chicago.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:52 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You may be cool but you'll never be Led-Zeppelin-flying-around-in-their-own-airplane with a fireplace cool.

image.thumb.png.3b7b3830e3ea92f3e688d526c8a81efb.png

I'm so busy looking at how cool and chill they look.  Then the ornate mantle clock.  Then the upholstery.  Didn't even occur to my dumb ass until 90 seconds later, "Oh, they have an open fireplace on a flying aircraft, super smart!"  

9 hours ago, brakeman said:

image.png.f40e6ae010317e57da3f5c6e6744794f.png

The Beatles watching the Jimi Hendrix Experience play at the Saville Theatre in London, 1967.

One of the world's greatest guitarists, George Harrison.  Look at the expression on his face, "Holy shit!  I didn't even know what was a thing!"  

• Haha 1

Here's some trivia for you:  

Ringo had a place in  London. 33 Montagu Square.  After he got married, he moved out-of-town, but kept the place.   He ended up renting it to Hendrix.   It didn't take long for Hendrix to get evicted for excessive noise.  He did, however, have time to write "the wind cries mary" there.

John and Yoko eventually moved in, and the nude album cover was shot in that same place. 

I was standing in front of it last week. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.a687f052aa8fe5ce2138630f32be8609.png

Halloween '81 Cotton Bowl. I was a high school freshman and asked my dad if I could go see The Rolling Stones.  He said "I have some stones you can roll," and made me pick up rocks out of the fields all weekend.  He liked to recall that story until I shut him up by telling I told him that at that point I just quit asking and started going to concerts without permission.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, Ten Bears said:

image.thumb.png.a687f052aa8fe5ce2138630f32be8609.png

Halloween '81 Cotton Bowl. I was a high school freshman and asked my dad if I could go see The Rolling Stones.  He said "I have some stones you can roll," and made me pick up rocks out of the fields all weekend.  He liked to recall that story until I shut him up by telling I told him that at that point I just quit asking and started going to concerts without permission.  

I was there. HS senior year.  Fab Tbirds and ZZ Top on the bill.  Lots and lots of Mick look alikes crawled out of the wood pile and roamed the crowd.  I had no clue there was such a subculture.  A few were dead ringers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1