Toneil Carter is transferring

texifornia

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

There's no way in hell we'll let him transfer to anyone on a future schedule. Maybe he'll try the JuCo route but he seems like he'll want guaranteed minutes at a G5 ala Duke Catalon.

That's not a thing anymore.  He can transfer to anyone that wants him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's not a thing anymore.  He can transfer to anyone that wants him.

Not sure you are right....What's your source???

B12 probably has in conference restrictions. Found this:

"Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

Edited by LTtxfan

B12 can have additional rules on transfers including allowing Head Coaches the ability to restrict in-conference transfers..... Not sure how B12 will handle this going forward.

Found this article on transfer changes:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process

New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process

Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.

“The membership showed today that it supports this significant change in transfer rules,” said Justin Sell, chair of the Division I Transfer Working Group and athletics director at South Dakota State. “I’m proud of the effort the Transfer Working Group put forth to make this happen for student-athletes, coaches and schools.”

The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m not sure being gracious to Carter leaving is “going against the grain.”  He’s not likely to play here because he can’t hang onto the ball. Staying would likely just eat a scholarship. Good luck to him. Gifted athlete, but hang onto the ball.

Edited by Lhorn

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

You're thinking of the Bearcats.

He's going to SHSU.

Same conference as Sterlin at McNeese State.

Since SHSU is Div I does Toneil still have to sit out a year due to transfer, or can he play immediately??

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I’m not sure being gracious to Carter leaving is “going against the grain.”  He’s not likely to play here because he can’t hang onto the ball. Staying would likely just eat a scholarship.

We'll see. I am not sure we won't miss him next season. Depth is an issue at running back.

Ah well. Good luck to him in Huntsville, I am sure he has a few SEC teams on the schedule he needs to prepare for.

11 minutes ago, Xian said:

Is this really all because he had a few fumbles?  How many did he even have?  I don’t remember more than 2 as a freshman     

Guess he had issues in practice? 

Issues in practice and then had a bad attitude about being dropped. Hopefully he grows up in Huntsville.

Talented back despite his fumbling issues, surprised he could not find any FBS takers. SHSU is a good FCS program though, he should have the chance to shine, and more players than ever are getting their NFL shot from that level. I imagine that's his end game. The Google says he is from the Houston area. I could see how the chance to be close to home outweights the chance to play at a G5 FBS school further away. Good luck to him.