offseason thread- make your wild-ass future predictions here

Goo Punch

first, as it relates to Texas, I think that all of our guys are going to return for their senior year. I think that they all will recognize that as individuals they have the opportunity to have All American seasons, thus improving their draft stock, and that as a team we have an opportunity to do something special, with things like the Heisman Trophy and the national championship in play. I think they all come back for one more go round.

Then, on a national level, I predict that Nick Saban's retirement in a few years will have a bigger impact on college football than any one single person leaving the game ever has. Alabama has a dynasty that is unparalleled in my lifetime, and it's all down to Nick Saban. I don't care which one of his disciples replaces him, he won't be Nick Saban. When Saban leaves, Alabama falls; when Alabama falls, the SEC falls apart, which invites more parity. I also believe that his retirement will coincide with the expansion to an 8-team playoff, which will invite *even more* parity, seeing programs like the Oklahoma States and WVU's of the world seriously contending for national titles. Imagine Mack Brown and UNC being involved the 2023 playoff. It could happen! 

Alright now y'all throw some shit against the wall and see if anything sticks. 

Texas just beat a team with the playoff blues.  Not quite the same as Utah vs Bama, but similar.  They’ll compete for the conference title again.  I predict two more wins.  12-2 maybe.  I still don’t call that back.  Popping your head above water isn’t swimming to shore.  Three to five straight years of double digit wins is “back”.  

I think I need to see what the defensive does before I can even make a guess about next season. Right now we can only expect elite safety play. The CB’s will have to grow up fast and none of us can even name the starting front seven. 

The only thing I know is that we will have an incredible offense, assuming Ingram makes the assumed leap and we find him some help at RB.

We have a lot of questions to answer in the spring and fall camps.

10 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

I think I need to see what the defensive does before I can even make a guess about next season. Right now we can only expect elite safety play. The CB’s will have to grow up fast and none of us can even name the starting front seven. 

The only thing I know is that we will have an incredible offense, assuming Ingram makes the assumed leap and we find him some help at RB.

We have a lot of questions to answer in the spring and fall camps.

These are not wild-ass predictions.

Mack's recruiting prowess may hurt Clemson, which would be slightly advantageous to Texas if the Tigers / Horns ever meet.. meaning they won't be as loaded. Key positions might otherwise be at Clemson but are under Mack. Go Mack! Recruit the hell out of the mid Atlantic!

On 1/2/2019 at 4:02 PM, Goo Punch said:

Then, on a national level, I predict that Nick Saban's retirement in a few years will have a bigger impact on college football than any one single person leaving the game ever has. Alabama has a dynasty that is unparalleled in my lifetime, and it's all down to Nick Saban. I don't care which one of his disciples replaces him, he won't be Nick Saban. When Saban leaves, Alabama falls; when Alabama falls, the SEC falls apart, which invites more parity. I also believe that his retirement will coincide with the expansion to an 8-team playoff, which will invite *even more* parity, seeing programs like the Oklahoma States and WVU's of the world seriously contending for national titles. Imagine Mack Brown and UNC being involved the 2023 playoff. It could happen! 

You got me curious about Saban. In terms of winning percentage, Saban's at .792, but .880 at Alabama. Bud Wilkinson is at .827, but also had a 47 game winning streak. Knute Rockne was .881. All three of them coached over twelve years, so they turned over at least three complete rosters. Weird note while researching this. If Saban wins Monday, he'll be tied for total career wins with 

Spoiler

Mack Brown

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You got me curious about Saban. In terms of winning percentage, Saban's at .792, but .880 at Alabama. Bud Wilkinson is at .827, but also had a 47 game winning streak. Knute Rockne was .881. All three of them coached over twelve years, so they turned over at least three complete rosters. Weird note while researching this. If Saban wins Monday, he'll be tied for total career wins with 

Reveal hidden contents

Mack Brown

i would not have guessed that, but i suppose it makes sense. 

At the end of next season, texags will claim that aggy going 7-5 in the SEC is more impressive than Texas going 13-0 in the Big 12, even though we beat LSU by 14 and LSU beat them by 27.

Wait, that's not really ridiculous.

Okay, here are some bold predictions:

Texas has two Heisman finalists in 2019.

Texas ranks #1 in the Big 12 in both total offense and total defense.

Texas is the only undefeated team in the country after the conference championship games.