Nick Saban's National Chapmionships

IPoopOnWhoop

I'll say this, when he's on the losing end there's not a bigger cunt in the post game presser than Nick.

Wow, that one last night with Tua and the other player (can't remember name) was just sad and embarrassing.

Take the loss pussies.

If Saban had done it with Texas, we'd be totally cool with it, except we're Texas, and someone would have a "Fire Nick Saban" thread up this morning after the loss last night. 

As far as the schedule, the SEC arranges the schedule to maximize post season chances for the teams. They play one less conference game, few significant OOC opponents, have a cupcake game late, and one other thing. They space out the big games between name programs. They avoid having Bama play Georgia, LSU, and another hot team in consecutive weeks. You play three top fifteen schools in a row, you're going to lose one. Teams can't be up every week. However, if you schedule LSU, have an FBS school in between, and then play Georgia, you've got a better chance at going undefeated. 

The reason they do this is because it works. They're not stupid enough to change to nine conference games and scheduling tough OOC games because the B1G and B12 complain about it. They'll keep doing it as long as it works. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Because there were no mitigating factors to that loss. They just choked. 🙄

22 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

as was already implied, but I think many, including you, need to be reminded what happened literally the day before that game. 

The head coach of the womens basketball team (who many on the football team were close to), and an assistant died in a plane crash.  which btw was literally the 2nd time in less than 10 years that Oklahoma State lost coaches and members of their basketball team in a plane crash.

That death grossly impacted the team just before the game.

if it was Bama that had that happen to them, you would be damn sure the media would have kept hyping up that fact and forcing it down our throats as a mitigating factor for being picked as the top 2.

I’m a heartless asshole, but I still think this is complete bullshit.

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m a heartless asshole, but I still think this is complete bullshit.

If you think losing in double overtime, on a weeknight, on the road, to a team who made a bowl, the day after a plane crash that had Gundy talking  pregame about how the last thing they wanted to do was play, is choking, that’s your prerogative.

29 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

If Saban had done it with Texas, we'd be totally cool with it, except we're Texas, and someone would have a "Fire Nick Saban" thread up this morning after the loss last night. 

Do we typically do that after losing the national championship game? I would like a few more chances to find out.

Anyway sure we would be cool with it, but we certainly would also be self-aware that our program was lucky...but ever since we got into the same conference as the ever-gifted by the luck gods school, OU, we haven't had much luck. If we don't go undefeated we are not winning jack.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Duke (in Atlanta) "see we played a P5 team!!! We're not from Atlanta this is a road game!!!"

This has been another key to their success.  Their one P5 nonconference game per year is always a de facto homegame in Atlanta or JerryWorld.  I was shocked that they signed up to play us home and home.  Maybe Nick is planning to retire before then so he left it for the next guy to worry about.

Edited by WBT

55 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'll say this, when he's on the losing end there's not a bigger cunt in the post game presser than Nick.

Wow, that one last night with Tua and the other player (can't remember name) was just sad and embarrassing.

Take the loss pussies.

It was embarrassing just to watch. Those players completely followed Nick's lead in how they answered questions. They can't fathom that they just got outplayed and outcoached and so have to think of all these other ways to answer questions that don't allow them to just admit that Clemson was better in every way, shape and form. ie they are pussies.

4 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

It was embarrassing just to watch. Those players completely followed Nick's lead in how they answered questions. They can't fathom that they just got outplayed and outcoached and so have to think of all these other ways to answer questions that don't allow them to just admit that Clemson was better in every way, shape and form. ie they are pussies.

I was actually thinking about this while I was watching it. To me it shows something that helps their success and that's the fact that they appear to evaluate every failure based on what they didn't do and should have done better. When reviewing film this is absolutely the right way to look at failures even on a single play basis. At first glance this may be obvious but lots of people in sports like to repeat the cliché of "just tip your hat he is a great player and made a great play" and not analyze what the player who was beat did wrong or could have done better. This kind of attention to detail and constant focus on self-improvement is how you maintain a high standard of performance.

The problem is when you're in a post game press conference after a loss it sounds really shitty and like you're a sore loser who won't give the other team credit. And that's when you have to consider that Alabama players aren't exactly experienced in giving credit after a loss because, frankly, they don't lose very often.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I was actually thinking about this while I was watching it. To me it shows something that helps their success and that's the fact that they appear to evaluate every failure based on what they didn't do and should have done better. When reviewing film this is absolutely the right way to look at failures even on a single play basis. At first glance this may be obvious but lots of people in sports like to repeat the cliché of "just tip your hat he is a great player and made a great play" and not analyze what the player who was beat did wrong or could have done better. This kind of attention to detail and constant focus on self-improvement is how you maintain a high standard of performance.

The problem is when you're in a post game press conference after a loss it sounds really shitty and like you're a sore loser who won't give the other team credit. And that's when you have to consider that Alabama players aren't exactly experienced in giving credit after a loss because, frankly, they don't lose very often.

The flip side is that maybe that way of thinking creates a certain amount of arrogance which is what led to them losing by 4 tds last night. I mean that way of thinking is fine when you are only losing by a fg or a td and can point to your mistakes and think 'if only I had done this or that then we would have won which shows we were actually the better team' but it doesn't work as well when you just got completely embarrassed on the biggest stage possible. They need to take the loss and not be pussies about it at that point.

Bama is on a historic run.  Saban is benefitting from a 4 team playoff that Mack Brown and others didn't have a chance at.  I give Saban credit for the fact that he doesn't fuck up against the middling teams very often which is a big deal.

the problem is the SEC slurping that gets 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff or a rematch of 2 SEC teams.  Bama has some crazy recruiting classes but the top teams in each conf are going to have a chance at even the Bama's of the world.  Its funny how every Bama team for the last 10 years is discussed as possibly hanging with an NFL team yet Bama has one undefeated season(guess which one) with Saban. with the 4 team playoff the chances of going undefeated diminish but the point still stands.

Give me 11 season games, a conf champ game and an 8 team playoff and I'm good. while not exact(due to someone not in a conf champ game making the playoff), basically everyone with 6 wins in P5 plays 12, 10 teams play 13 games, of those 10,  4 play 13, 2 play 14 and 2 play 15. many of these kids have been playing 12-15 games in a season since high school. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Bama is on a historic run.  Saban is benefitting from a 4 team playoff that Mack Brown and others didn't have a chance at.  I give Saban credit for the fact that he doesn't fuck up against the middling teams very often which is a big deal.

the problem is the SEC slurping that gets 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff or a rematch of 2 SEC teams.  Bama has some crazy recruiting classes but the top teams in each conf are going to have a chance at even the Bama's of the world.  Its funny how every Bama team for the last 10 years is discussed as possibly hanging with an NFL team yet Bama has one undefeated season(guess which one) with Saban. with the 4 team playoff the chances of going undefeated diminish but the point still stands.

Give me 11 season games, a conf champ game and an 8 team playoff and I'm good. while not exact(due to someone not in a conf champ game making the playoff), basically everyone with 6 wins in P5 plays 12, 10 teams play 13 games, of those 10,  4 play 13, 2 play 14 and 2 play 15. many of these kids have been playing 12-15 games in a season since high school. 

I honestly believe his two best teams were the ones that lost the Clemson with 2016 being the best.  That team lost because of an almost VY level performance by Watson.  This year’s team, while not as good on defense, was light years ahead of any other offense they have had...and they got destroyed by a vastly superior team.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Do we typically do that after losing the national championship game? I would like a few more chances to find out.

Anyway sure we would be cool with it, but we certainly would also be self-aware that our program was lucky...but ever since we got into the same conference as the ever-gifted by the luck gods school, OU, we haven't had much luck. If we don't go undefeated we are not winning jack.

A one loss Texas team has a good chance of getting into the playoffs, unless that loss is in the B12 title game. With Ohio State and Georgia getting left out, we'll probably be looking at an expanded playoff sooner rather than later. 

42 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

The flip side is that maybe that way of thinking creates a certain amount of arrogance which is what led to them losing by 4 tds last night. I mean that way of thinking is fine when you are only losing by a fg or a td and can point to your mistakes and think 'if only I had done this or that then we would have won which shows we were actually the better team' but it doesn't work as well when you just got completely embarrassed on the biggest stage possible. They need to take the loss and not be pussies about it at that point.

Saban wasn't hired because of his awesome personality. He's a jerk, but he's a jerk that wins nearly 90% of his games. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Louisville
Arkansas St.
Louisiana-Lafayette
The Citadel

That was Alabama's regular season non-conference schedule. Now in their defense Louisville would normally be a decent opponent. Not great but decent. But this year they were fucking terrible. The Crimson Tide's non-conference schedule had the following ranks in a standard power rating out of 130 FBS teams:

#117, #89, #94, #123*

* - The Citadel would slot in somewhere around 123

Why wasn't this discussed all season? Why wasn't this mentioned as part of the CFP selection process? I mean I know the answer and let's be serious it's not like Alabama didn't deserve a top 2 playoff seed based on the season, but the SEC gets a pass for this kind of bullshit every year.

The only answer is to beat them regularly when you get the chance, but their front office does an amazing job at picking the bowl matchups - always scheduling down when possible.

12 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

A one loss Texas team has a good chance of getting into the playoffs, unless that loss is in the B12 title game. With Ohio State and Georgia getting left out, we'll probably be looking at an expanded playoff sooner rather than later. 

Saban wasn't hired because of his awesome personality. He's a jerk, but he's a jerk that wins nearly 90% of his games. 

He can still take the loss without acting like a 28 pt blowout was a game they almost won. We already knew he was a jerk who wins 90% of his games before last night's game. 

Take the loss pussies.

Let’s be honest. Win or lose, Saban is gonna act like a cunt. It’s who he is.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Your post was right after mine, so I'm supposing this is in response.  If not, I apologize.

If it was, it's complete horseshit.

I've always liked Saban.  I'm not a hater.  If a Texas coach acted like he and his players did behind the mics last night I'd say the exact same thing.  Bunch of cunty bitches.  Sorry.

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's a farce and nobody in the national media outside of Joel Klatt will call them or on it. Their cross division games are South Carolina and Tennessee plus they get LSU at home. They will pummel everybody on that schedule and even if they lose to Georgia in the conference championship game they will still get the benefit of the doubt over any other one loss team. 

Danny Kanell did and doe as well,  of course ESPN got him out the paint the moment he started going against the company line.

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I am kind of surprised to see this. I usually gave Alabama and LSU some credit for playing some tough OOC foes unlike the rest of their league. 

LSU and Auburn are the only SEC schools that consistently schedule well in the nonconference (ie home and homes & top 15 FBS schools).  

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's a farce and nobody in the national media outside of Joel Klatt will call them or on it. Their cross division games are South Carolina and Tennessee plus they get LSU at home. They will pummel everybody on that schedule and even if they lose to Georgia in the conference championship game they will still get the benefit of the doubt over any other one loss team. 

Don't be surprised if ESPN doesn't change it's toon a little this offseason.  It's time to start pumping the accnet and now they have a clear excuse. I'm not saying they dump Alabama, but it wiuldn't surprise me if they back way off the rest of the sec

7 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

As far as the schedule, the SEC arranges the schedule to maximize post season chances for the teams. They play one less conference game, few significant OOC opponents, have a cupcake game late, and one other thing. They space out the big games between name programs. They avoid having Bama play Georgia, LSU, and another hot team in consecutive weeks. You play three top fifteen schools in a row, you're going to lose one. Teams can't be up every week. However, if you schedule LSU, have an FBS school in between, and then play Georgia, you've got a better chance at going undefeated. 

The reason they do this is because it works. They're not stupid enough to change to nine conference games and scheduling tough OOC games because the B1G and B12 complain about it. They'll keep doing it as long as it works. 

BlowU broke Bama..... Bama was too worn out to compete with Clemson.  It was a conspiracy against the SEC to have Clemson play a cupcake like Notre Dame.......

/s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Don't be surprised if ESPN doesn't change it's toon a little this offseason.  It's time to start pumping the accnet and now they have a clear excuse. I'm not saying they dump Alabama, but it wiuldn't surprise me if they back way off the rest of the sec

Too bad espn doesn’t own lhn. If they did, certainly they would have been pimping the horns these past several years. 

5 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Nope.  4 of the top 8 and 8-9 of 25 will be SEC in the polls come September...  and I would be willing to bet Bama is #1 week 1

bama, Clemson, UGA, tOSU, OU, LSU, UF

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have choked against Iowa State?  Iowa.  State.

You realize that Oklahoma State got 1st place AP votes at the conclusion of that season, right? They also had more wins than Alabama going into the bowls since they won their conference.

18 hours ago, Zavala said:

49522500_10205368865657466_6773452275227

hilarious.  I believe he's had 20 assistants leave over the last 3 or 4 years right? Including the OC right before the playoffs, true? There's why Clemson looked so good, the blocking and playcalling were from lesser minds.  They need to hire and pay top dollar assistants, like a Venables. 

On 1/8/2019 at 9:14 AM, Valmy77 said:

Well I couldn't disagree more. Any undefeated team should get a near automatic bid, but especially one who plays a decent schedule like Notre Dame did.

As for this year, they are missing that valuable 13th game. Even against shitty teams, another game is another chance for players to get hurt etc. that can totally affect future games.

57 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Not renewing till Dabo is at the helm? I think he's going to be waiting awhile. Unless something really drastic happens at Clemson, I don't think Dabo is going home to mama.

Yeah, why would he? He's a God at Clemson and has a great thing going. Why leave to go follow a legend like Saban? I don't see it happening. Ever.

4 hours ago, NowThis said:

hilarious.  I believe he's had 20 assistants leave over the last 3 or 4 years right? Including the OC right before the playoffs, true? There's why Clemson looked so good, the blocking and playcalling were from lesser minds.  They need to hire and pay top dollar assistants, like a Venables. 

No

In defense of any team playing for the Natty, you can only play who is picked to be in the game. Especially true in the BCS era, and only somewhat slightly less true in a 4-team playoff.

Still the biggest advantage that Bama & Clemson have is that they will start the year ranked #1 & #2, and therefore they won't fall as far as a team ranked #10 if they were to lose. And by beating teams as the #1 or #2 team in the country it makes their opponents loses better than teams losing to a #8 or #15 ranked team. It is, by definition, the continuance of the SEC bias; rank 1/2 the teams in the top 20 and it makes all the loses "good" losses, especially if they are on the road.
This sort of thing has gone on forever - the "blue-blood" bias, the recruiting rankings of players increasing if they commit to Bama vs South Carolina, and in the early days of TV coverage when there were 2 or 3 games televised each weekend and it was rare that it wasn't those blue-bloods either playing each other or pounding some next tier program.