2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

16 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

I somehow have been able to tune it out relative to the rest of the car. I love these cars on the whole. 

Yeah it's still ugly to me when I actually notice it, but most of the time, esp when the cars are in motion, I somehow have become able to tune it out as well. Esp for the cars that painted it flat black or other darker colors.

I still notice the halo, no way for me to ignore it.  It just ruins the lines of the car, even in motion.

Two years ago they promised better looking cars and then screwed it up by allowing the hideous shark fin.

This year they sort of fixed that, I could at least live with the much smaller mini-fins, but then destroyed the lines with the horrifying halo.

So it's now been, what, decades... since we had a truly beautiful Formula 1 car?  It doesn't ruin the sport for me, but it definitely diminishes the aesthetic. 

• Like 2

Re: F1TV, I thought this was a pretty informative post from another board...

So far the site is pretty much bare bones with an archive section going back into the '90's, recent race coverage using the original race feed without announcers, and an alternative view using whatever camera is active on each car although watching a whole race from a cars nose cam seems stupid and viewing any cam with the halo in it is demoralizing. Without announcers the sound and the visual aspects and the use of some camera angles just pop. It still contains all the replays, screen info etc. just like you see on ESPN. It also seems to be not quite up to date with all the coverages from Baku. 

It's only showing complete past seasons starting with 2002. They list seasons back to 1950 but before 1997 they don't have any content. Looking closer a lot of what's in the archives is narrated short race reviews with not every race presented as a complete race replay.

What they will have available for this weekend and how it will be presented is still unknown. 

I'm going to add to something I said earlier. In the sound controls for the replays there are options to choose FX sound (the race audio with no commentary) or with commentary in one of four languages, English, German, French, and Spanish. The English version is the Sky broadcast.

Edited by wood

I too received the e-mail asking me to sign up for the added coverage type service. I have not done so. In the future I may.

But I just think, while watching practice this morning, that the coverage is so much better than what we had in years past. I like the announcers. I like the beginning where they show the track and give little tidbits about the track's history. I like Brundle. It's just all better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

https://streamable.com/wxdsx

KMag is all about fucking up these days.

He received a reprimand from the stewards for this. 

Yeah that was some straight up dangerous AF bullshit. And in practice at that. He was lucky that's all he got imho. Dude is a headcase imho and has been a menace since he first joined the grid. Shows zero fucking respect for the well-being of anyone else out there, just as in Baku.

Edited by wood

Just got done watching Azerbaijan:

Ho Lee Fuk Max you jackass. I bet Danny kicked Jos in the balls for good measure.

Grosjean is terrible.

Great seeing Leclerc score in the Sauber. Maybe the best livery in motorsports. Not buying the 'finally the monagasque have something to cheer for,' Hamilton lives there and rosberg grew up there.

Horrible turn for bottas, where did that scrap come from?

1 hour ago, crackamacgowski said:

Stroll was almost killed by a tractor today.

Seriously, yeah. Good thing the driver was paying attention and the girl was there to stop him from walking right in front of it. Wow. That shit woulda been on tv, too.

That was some shit like what you do after you screw up in racing video game, right before you hit the "Restart Race" button.

If Gunther really  thinks no American and/or IndyCar driver could do better than his guys, he's seriously delusional.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

So VAN gets a penalty point for re-entering on the wrong side of the bollard, and I'm fine with that. But GRO gets nothing for keeping his foot in it and spinning back into the track as a result, ruining the races of half a dozen people in the process? Absolutely ridiculous.

ETA:

So I stand corrected. 1 point for VAN. 2 points and 3 grid positions for GRO. Like I said before ... absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Crash Verstappen says...

Eh, no. Grosjean has 4 years on Max, has caused far more carnage than Max likely ever will, and is still doing incredibly stupid shit damn near every race. Dude should have been gone long ago. Grosjean was a well-known crasher before Max ever raced in a car.

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, wood said:

Eh, no. Grosjean has 4 years on Max, has caused far more carnage than Max likely ever will, and is still doing incredibly stupid shit damn near every race. Dude should have been gone long ago. Grosjean was a well-known crasher before Max ever raced in a car.

Last race Gros crashed under a safety car.  This race Max crashed under a safety car.  

Ill be damned if he isn't trying his hardest to scatter car parts on the track every race...

Last race Gros crashed under a safety car.  This race Max crashed under a safety car.   Ill be damned if he isn't trying his hardest to scatter car parts on the track every race...

And RIC spun under the VSC today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VanGamerenF1/status/995682465523159041/video/1

There wasn’t a lot of grip today, especially when not under race conditions (like the start and VSC).

Edit:

Looks like GRO did get a 3 grid position penalty for Monaco as well as 2 penalty points.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Last race Gros crashed under a safety car.  This race Max crashed under a safety car.  

Ill be damned if he isn't trying his hardest to scatter car parts on the track every race...

I'm not defending Max, but you're gonna have a very difficult time making a convincing case that Max has caused an amount and magnitude of carnage even remotely approaching what Grosjean has caused over the years, and continues to cause.

Edited by wood

After the first lap shenanigans and safety car restart that was a pretty boring race. 

It is pretty disappointing that Mclaren haven’t really gotten anywhere. Ferrari had nothing for Mercedes, Red Bull was just sort of there the whole time but not ever really in it. 

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

After the first lap shenanigans and safety car restart that was a pretty boring race. 

It is pretty disappointing that Mclaren haven’t really gotten anywhere. Ferrari had nothing for Mercedes, Red Bull was just sort of there the whole time but not ever really in it. 

McLaren still have work to do with the new package, but they improved a lot on their relative one-lap pace for qualifying, and  I don't think this race was reflective of their true race pace. After getting Grosjeaned on lap 1, losing 3 spots as a result, Alonso was stuck being held up by traffic most of the way. He got by Ocon pretty quickly, and then once he finally got around LeClerc, he left him in his dust despite LeClerc pushing like hell to fend off Perez. Ended up putting 30 seconds on LeClerc in the last 24 laps.

Hamilton ran off and hid as soon as the safety car went back in. Pretty impressive.

Grosjean must have dirty pictures of Gene Haas.

Loved Christian Horner asking what the guys in the booth would do.

Impressed by Leclerc again.

Did Ferrari not have any supersofts left?

Trivially surly due to the announcers exclaiming that (for example) "Seb took 4/10ths out of Max that last lap and it's just a matter of time," when he's still 2.2 back just like he was 5 laps ago and just like he'll be 5 laps from now. Happens every race.

Like the immediate post race interviews, did the pdoium interviews go away or is Sky showing highlights during those?

13 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

I believe Vettel had a used set left.

i think they were talking about a set of used softs. 

vettel switched off the supers in Q3 because he didn't like them, guess even if they did have supers available they didn't want to use them. 

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i think they were talking about a set of used softs. 

vettel switched off the supers in Q3 because he didn't like them, guess even if they did have supers available they didn't want to use them. 

I believe you are correct on both counts.

Also, just bad luck on the safety car pit stop having to wait so as not to get an unsafe release. Cost Vettel the podium.

2 hours ago, irockalltherocks said:

I believe you are correct on both counts.

Also, just bad luck on the safety car pit stop having to wait so as not to get an unsafe release. Cost Vettel the podium.

I think I saw somewhere where he also missed his marks, which slowed the pit stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Could Grosjean be sacked midseason and Leclerc brought in to replace him? Seems possible.

I don't see why not. LeClerc is looking great, and Grosjean shoulda been gone long ago.

17 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Could Grosjean be sacked midseason and Leclerc brought in to replace him? Seems possible.

14 hours ago, wood said:

I don't see why not. LeClerc is looking great, and Grosjean shoulda been gone long ago.

I would love for Haas to make this move. The sooner the better.

Or do they bring in their American test driver, Santino Ferucci? Kid hasn't really done much, but I'd bet LM is applying some pressure to get an American on the grid. F1 fucked up letting Rossi get away, and Haas apparently thinks Ferucci is better than any IndyCar drivers (snicker).

Or do they bring in their American test driver, Santino Ferucci? Kid hasn't really done much, but I'd bet LM is applying some pressure to get an American on the grid. F1 fucked up letting Rossi get away, and Haas apparently thinks Ferucci is better than any IndyCar drivers (snicker).

I still hold out hope that Rossi somehow ends up at Haas.

11 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

I still hold out hope that Rossi somehow ends up at Haas.

I'm not sure he wants to go back. He's building a pretty nice career in IndyCar now. It's the same old problem for F1 in terms of getting American talent (whether or not they want to admit it or even acknowledge that there is viable F1 talent in IndyCar or other U.S. series, which there obviously IS imho). Why would a successful & well-known IndyCar or NASCAR driver leave behind success and money in a top American team to go to Europe & work the ladder or even go straight to F1 in a backmarker or mid-field car? It's a big risk. 

But that's exactly what F1 needs in terms of an American driver to boost the sport here --- someone who already has a big following in the U.S. I'm sorry, but a relatively unknown American in anything less than a seat in the top 4 or 5 teams isn't gonna move the needle of American interest even a little bit, except among already-established American F1 fans. That said, I have no problem with F1 staying the niche sport it currently is in the U.S. In fact, I think I prefer it that way.

Edited by wood