Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

In other news....

Irving was due to enter free agency later this month.  Now may not get anyone to sign him again.

Quote: The Cowboys have already announced they have "no intention of bringing Irving back", his troubled past is well-documented. Irving  possesses immense talent but has never been able to stay clear of trouble in the NFL, this is the third season that he will be suspended to start.

Cowboys dodged a bullet since Irving's contract is expiring.....

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Irving is rumored to have many other issues (as does Gregory).  Legalizing pot is a convenient excuse to divert accountability towards the individual.  David Irving has a lot of demons and frankly, shouldn't be playing football until he conquers those.  As for the Cowboys, huge issues with the DL right now.  Unless Armstrong or Taco has the light turn on (frankly both), we need at least 1 other pass rusher and another run plugging DT.

Can we just bring back Ware along with Witt?

This is really the perfect year for Dallas to draft a TE and bring him along for a year. Lots of great prospects. The Iowa TEs will probably go too early for the Cowbyos, though.
As long as Witten is here, that will never happen. They have never proven they can develop a TE while he's here. Which has been since 04 or 05.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This is really the perfect year for Dallas to draft a TE and bring him along for a year. Lots of great prospects. The Iowa TEs will probably go too early for the Cowboys, though.

It’s really only good because the TE group is deep. It’s not even the biggest need on the team imo, and we have young, promising TEs already. 

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 hours ago, Machinator said:
This is really the perfect year for Dallas to draft a TE and bring him along for a year. Lots of great prospects. The Iowa TEs will probably go too early for the Cowbyos, though.

As long as Witten is here, that will never happen. They have never proven they can develop a TE while he's here. Which has been since 04 or 05.

Did one of the other TEs do anything in 2018 that has you concerned that Witten will be obstructing their productivity in 2019?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Uh, Jarwin had like 3 tds one game.  Do you even watch football?

And he was clearly getting better as the season went on. Him and Shultz to a lesser extent. TEs need time to develop. They’re rarely good right out of the gate. I respect Witten and the career that he had, but there’s no way a 37 year old who has been out of football for more than a full year should be on the field over Jarwin. His chemistry with Dak is growing.

6 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

For all the talk about TEs for Dallas in 2018 the 3 did a solid job..Had 60 catches and over 700 yards and I think 5 TDs. 

Spread amongst 4 guys with the most productive day coming in a meaningless week 17 game against the Giants. If any of them are worthwhile, they'll force their way onto the field in 2019.

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know I got shit on when I said watch this team take Andy Isabella from Umass, but after his combine, he’s going late 2nd early 3rd. Even with all the needs on this team, I’m just saying don’t be shocked if we take Isabella at 58. 

Shouldn’t have gotten shit on. That’s the type of guy the front office will be looking for and depending on their board may seek to grab for the “first pick”. I’d much prefer DL though. 

6 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

For all the talk about TEs for Dallas in 2018 the 3 did a solid job..Had 60 catches and over 700 yards and I think 5 TDs. 

Staying healthy was their biggest issue.

Witten didn't stop anybody from being developed. They kept trying to get TEs on the field with a lot of snaps, but none of them could cut it. Escobar wasn't slowed by lack of playing time, just lack of talent for anything but running in a straight line.

16 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I don't know fuckall about how salary cap works and what is a lot or a little these days. It says this would put him about 15th among WRs next to Emmanual Sanders. I think he could justify somewhere around 20th. But it says he wants more touches, which isn't going to happen at his position. He's been utilized perfectly in my opinion. He should embrace the roll and make a bunch of money, somewhere south of $20 mil guaranteed. But if he's going to bitch about touches, we should probably let him find another place that can make him that type of promise.

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't know fuckall about how salary cap works and what is a lot or a little these days. It says this would put him about 15th among WRs next to Emmanual Sanders. I think he could justify somewhere around 20th. But it says he wants more touches, which isn't going to happen at his position. He's been utilized perfectly in my opinion. He should embrace the roll and make a bunch of money, somewhere south of $20 mil guaranteed. But if he's going to bitch about touches, we should probably let him find another place that can make him that type of promise.

The salary cap issue is that there are many others that will have to be re-upped this year and next year at much higher salaries.  This year: Lawrence, Cooper and Prescott.  Next year: Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones, La'el Collins, Chido Awuzie.  Some others on the defensive line as well are coming up.

9 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

The salary cap issue is that there are many others that will have to be re-upped this year and next year at much higher salaries.  This year: Lawrence, Cooper and Prescott.  Next year: Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones, La'el Collins, Chido Awuzie.  Some others on the defensive line as well are coming up.

Cole is at the end of the food chain on priorities for this team. There are a lot of good slot WRs coming into the draft next month. And they can be replaced easier than a QB, edge rusher and difference making WR on the outside. He would work perfect for a team like NO or NE.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cole is at the end of the food chain on priorities for this team. There are a lot of good slot WRs coming into the draft next month. And they can be replaced easier than a QB, edge rusher and difference making WR on the outside. He would work perfect for a team like NO or NE.

The Ryan Switzer experiment has made me skeptical about the ease of replacing a slot receiver. A short fast white guy isn't always good enough.

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, we have $20million tied up into non starters in Lee, Witten, Hurns, Crawford.

Awesome.

I'm pretty sure Crawford will end up starting.  And even if he doesn't he's gonna play a ton.  I have no problem with him. 

I have concerns about Witten and Lee.  Witten more than Lee, because it's plain to even Jerry that Lee isn't a starter anymore.  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jesus fucking christ.

Jason Garrett, Cowboys willing to spend $12M of cap space on player coaches

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/04/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-jason-witten-sean-lee-cap-space-roles-in-2019/

How about just making Witten and Lee actual coaches and they can pay them as much as they want without costing any salary cap. 

26 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

How about just making Witten and Lee actual coaches and they can pay them as much as they want without costing any salary cap. 

I wouldn't be surprised if after this year, Garrett gets moved to a president type role.  And one of Kris Richard, Witten, Lee or Moore gets promoted to HC. 

56 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'm pretty sure Crawford will end up starting.  And even if he doesn't he's gonna play a ton.  I have no problem with him. 

I have concerns about Witten and Lee.  Witten more than Lee, because it's plain to even Jerry that Lee isn't a starter anymore.  

Witten will probably be a de facto starter as well and guarantees have been reported as actually 3.5 million.  I'm going to guess Lee has his contract restructured or if he refuses, eventually gets cut, so that article is click bait for the dim.  Hurns is another easy cut if he doesn't want to restructure.  I'm sure a lot has to do with injury and Beasley.

Lee is in the final year of his deal, and I think we would only saved 7million if we release him. So unless an option for a LB comes up, I imagine having Lee around to even come in as a backup or if one of our stars gets tweaked is worth it. 7 mil isn’t small by any means, but Jerry isn’t gonna cut him whether right or wrong. I hope Witten is used the same way and understands and takes on that type of role. Swaim got injured last year, and Rico sucks ass. Could someone younger come in? Sure, but we all know this is Jerry loving Witten, generating PR and jersey sales, and JG knowing that Witten already has experience with Dak, Zeke and the playbook. It’s comoletely possible Witten comes in and is the best blocking TE on the roster. 

Well i haven't heard any news about offer besides it being made ...until today...

Lawrence's camp is saying offer made wasnt a serious offer...sides might be very far off but thats to be expected in early negotiations....hopefully deal is resolved before deadline

Cowboys have to be one of the worst at signing their own players. They keep waiting too long and overpaying. They should have been able to sign Lawrence a year ago to a 5 for 85 with 60 guaranteed but now they've fucked themselves big time and will end up paying over 20 per. Probably a 5 for 110 or something like that