Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Compare the NFL to any other sport. Their suspensions are ridiculous.

You are comparing these suspensions to the Penn St scandal?

read much?

I was comparing the "embarrassment of suspensions" as a justification for not acting upon violations.

Of course the crimes are grossly different.

Wanna know what bugs me about the potheads who support legalization?  They tend to focus on how the laws shouldn't exist so they shouldn't have to abide by them, rather than discussing why it's a big fucking waste of resources to pursue the enforcement of aforementioned idiotic laws.  I favor legalization, but it's not because of the Joe Rogans and David Irvings of the world crying about how they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want..

The other gigantic, monumental leap of logic is the notion that marijuana is so fucking good that a normal, responsible, intelligent human being cannot resist its use while jeopardizing everything for which they have worked.  There is no fucking way.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

read much?

I was comparing the "embarrassment of suspensions" as a justification for not acting upon violations.

Of course the crimes are grossly different.

Wanna know what bugs me about the potheads who support legalization?  They tend to focus on how the laws shouldn't exist so they shouldn't have to abide by them, rather than discussing why it's a big fucking waste of resources to pursue the enforcement of aforementioned idiotic laws.  I favor legalization, but it's not because of the Joe Rogans and David Irvings of the world crying about how they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want..

The other gigantic, monumental leap of logic is the notion that marijuana is so fucking good that a normal, responsible, intelligent human being cannot resist its use while jeopardizing everything for which they have worked.  There is no fucking way.

Who said anything about justifying it?

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'd say it hurts the NFL's image to have players constantly in the news for suspensions.  Every suspension,  regardless of what it's for, gets lumped into the same batch.  

What conclusion should I have drawn?

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

What conclusion should I have drawn?

These are 2 separate issues.  My original question was in regards to whether it's smart for the NFL as entity to continue their policy of prohibiting the use of weed. Especially when no other league considers it a worthwhile vice to outlaw and continued suspensions add to a long list of other suspensions that keep the league in the news for negative stories.   That doesn't to speak to whether or not it's stupid for someone like David Irving to piss away his career along with what could potentially be generational wealth.  I can acknowledgement that Irving is a dummy while at the same believe that constantly having news of suspensions negatively impacts the league's image. 

I'm asking this from the NFL's perspective. As @C-Man noted they can use it as leverage to extract extra concessions from the NFLPA, but in a vacuum why do owners care about it?  And for what it's worth, from the NFLPA's perspective I wouldn't view it as an important enough issue to give in on at the expense of anything the NFL would want. Even if it's true that 90% of the league uses, only 10 to 20% of that number is dumb enough to get caught.  

I'm asking this from the NFL's perspective. As [mention=298]C-Man[/mention] noted they can use it as leverage to extract extra concessions from the NFLPA, but in a vacuum why do owners care about it?  And for what it's worth, from the NFLPA's perspective I wouldn't view it as an important enough issue to give in on at the expense of anything the NFL would want. Even if it's true that 90% of the league uses, only 10 to 20% of that number is dumb enough to get caught.  

I doubt hardly any — minus a holy roller or two — honestly cares all that much. But they will hold it over the players’ heads and will most certainly use that chip during the next round of negotiations. Meanwhile, guys like Randy Gregory and David Irving are pissing careers down the drain.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Landon Collins just signed with Redskins for six years, $84M with $45M guaranteed. His annual salary is $14M for 2019.

What is the market for ETIII because dammit, I want him on the Cowboys!

That's an insanely stupid contract for a team who is about 12 players away.  They just traded for a Ha Ha and then let him walk!  JFC.  They're a shit show.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Landon Collins just signed with Redskins for six years, $84M with $45M guaranteed. His annual salary is $14M for 2019.

What is the market for ETIII because dammit, I want him on the Cowboys!

This front office refuses to sign anyone of worth in free agency. Get ready for more of the Heath shit show at safety. The fact he is even on the roster still baffles me. Not to mention he fucking starts. Maddening.

We have completely wasted the rookie deals of Zeke/Dak/Tank and whomever else. The time to strike is when your QB is on a friendly deal. But "we like our guys" even though our guys have not won anything. We over compensated the OL position and completely ignored interior line and safety play. We don't value either and then wonder why we get shredded in the playoffs against competent offenses time after time. No pressure whatsoever. And no back end help at all.

We get burned by a couple of contracts in the past and then go completely the opposite stance. Which is do zero in free agency. This grow your own and pay your own is good but you can't live solely through your own drafts. Free agency is there to take advantage of. Will they cost money? Sure. But they are proven talents. This whole notion of overpaying is silly. You gave to pay to get better when you have voids. We have the cap room to go get ET, who would make this defense so much better. We already don't have a 1st round pick this year. So it only makes sense to be aggressive. 

This isn't baseball where you can plan on building in 4-5 year windows. Eagles have already shown you can go from last to first and a champion in a season or 2. Jags did the same. Rams did the same.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's an insanely stupid contract for a team who is about 12 players away.  They just traded for a Ha Ha and then let him walk!  JFC.  They're a shit show.

They might be a shit show but we are a shit show in terms of never progressing at all. We have been looking for a divisional round playoff win now for 23 years. We keep spinning our wheels in the soil of mediocrity. 

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This front office refuses to sign anyone of worth in free agency. Get ready for more of the Heath shit show at safety. The fact he is even on the roster still baffles me. Not to mention he fucking starts. Maddening.

We have completely wasted the rookie deals of Zeke/Dak/Tank and whomever else. The time to strike is when your QB is on a friendly deal. But "we like our guys" even though our guys have not won anything. We over compensated the OL position and completely ignored interior line and safety play. We don't value either and then wonder why we get shredded in the playoffs against competent offenses time after time. No pressure whatsoever. And no back end help at all.

We get burned by a couple of contracts in the past and then go completely the opposite stance. Which is do zero in free agency. This grow your own and pay your own is good but you can't live solely through your own drafts. Free agency is there to take advantage of. Will they cost money? Sure. But they are proven talents. This whole notion of overpaying is silly. You gave to pay to get better when you have voids. We have the cap room to go get ET, who would make this defense so much better. We already don't have a 1st round pick this year. So it only makes sense to be aggressive. 

This isn't baseball where you can plan on building in 4-5 year windows. Eagles have already shown you can go from last to first and a champion in a season or 2. Jags did the same. Rams did the same.

I agree. The Cowboys have to go BIG while Dak/Zeke are on rookie contracts. Bring back DLaw, sign ETIII, get Frederick healthy and this team could make some noise in 2019!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They might be a shit show but we are a shit show in terms of never progressing at all. We have been looking for a divisional round playoff win now for 23 years. We keep spinning our wheels in the soil of mediocrity. 

Okay..... but that has nothing to do with my comment.  And it's been 28 years for the racists, brah.  Snyder is a poor man's version of Jerrah.  That's sad.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I disagree.  This is the point in free agency where desperate teams get into bidding wars and overpay for aging players.  Im happy we dont partake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

if earl really only wants a two year contract that’s great.  2 for 30 is actually reasonable.  he’ll play at a high level the next two years and $30MM isn’t a ton of money for his talent. 

It would make him the highest paid safety in the league coming off a broken leg and most likely on the downhill side of what is an admittedly awesome career.

We can love ET for all he is and has done, but fuck no, that wouldn't be a good spend.

That likely means Jerrah cannot wait to pull the trigger on a deal.

Edited by slorch

If ET only wants a 2 year deal, then you go all in right now. Landon Collins got 14 a year. ET is better than Collins easily and might be the best safety in the game. 2 years at 15per is just fine. We have $124mill of cap space for next year. There is no reason why we can't do that deal. What is the point of getting out of salary cap hell if not for moments like these? Even if he is a big bust, you are out of his contract in just 2 years. He is not wanting a long term deal or anything. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

if next year isn't the year you go all in then fuck it ...you never will.... soon it'll be 60 bajillion dollars tied up in Dak, Zeke and Amari and they'll be surrounded by a bunch more OSU basketball walk-ons because you can't afford anything else  ...FML 

With Dallas, it's always next year. Remember, it's a process. Be patient man. It's only been 23 years since we have been to a conference championship. What's the rush?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

It would make him the highest paid safety in the league coming off a broken leg and most likely on the downhill side of what is an admittedly awesome career

the broken leg is no biggie.  he’ll be 100% next season.  2 for 30 works.  I have a hard time believing earl would actually take it.  unless he’s got his sights his next contract after this one.  he’s only 30.  if he plays two great seasons in 2019 and 20 he could get more big money when he’s 32.  if he’d take 2 for 30 I hope we do it. 

Edited by futureman

1 minute ago, futureman said:

the broken leg is no biggie.  he’ll be 100% next season.  2 for 30 works.  I have a hard time believing earl would actually take it. 

I don't get it.

Is it worth that overspend not to see #38 getting torched?   Fuck it...you might have a point.

Just now, slorch said:

I don't get it.

Is it worth that overspend not to see #38 getting torched?   Fuck it...you might have a point.

heath not getting torched is a small thing.  earl could change the whole defense if he really takes over back there.  it’d be worth it. 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

the broken leg is no biggie.  he’ll be 100% next season.  2 for 30 works.  I have a hard time believing earl would actually take it.  unless he’s got his sights his next contract after this one.  he’s only 30.  if he plays two great seasons in 2019 and 20 he could get more big money when he’s 32.  if he’d take 2 for 30 I hope we do it. 

Break out yo checkbook, beeyotch

I always hate FA. When they spend on players this fan base cries about paying too much...when they don't go nuts in FA, like most smart teams, this fan base says they suck.

I can't wait until they win a SB eventually...no matter what they do you'll have idiots bitching.  They sign ET and I swear Vic will be bitching when he gives up a TD pass in October.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Good luck relying on Josh Allen to get you the ball more. This might make for a decent quick cash grab but his productivity is about to plummet.

The name of the game is to get paid as much as you can in your respective profession. He did. Good for him.

• Like 1

Good job on Beasley getting paid. I don’t think there was any way he was gonna resign here.

I also think 2/30 is worth it for ET, he’s plug and play and fixes a defensive hole. The only problem is his overlap with woods. I like woods and think he should still be in the mix. Will an ET / woods safety duo work?