USMNT 2019

Napoleon

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

None of this changes the fact that we were spoiled with all 3 of them including Howard. We got off topic in a hurry. US currently has no option close to the level of any of those guys (taking others' word for it as I'm too young to have seen Keller or Friedel).

I was spoiled to level of thinking that due to football, baseball, and basketball being the three biggest sports in the U.S., that we could produce athletic keepers with insane hand-eye coordination and quick reflexes like Argentina produced attacking players. 

I thought that we would eventually have GKs llittered throughout all of the top leagues in Europe once soccer “really caught on”.

Wow... I was delusional. 

I was thinking that Steffen is turning into a Brad Guzan.  
He can provide some nice-to-spectacular saves, but as soon as the ball is played to him on the ground, your sphincter starts to pucker. 
From bad passes, to slow thinking, Steffen was seriously channeling his inner Brad Guzan. (And that's a whole lot of "no bueno".)

How dare you malign the Big Bald Wall...

I was thinking about this today, with the current crop of utterly shitty MLS players on the USMNT roster Klinsmann was kind of a genius for scouring the globe to find players with US heritage to join the roster, but also his biggest failure was not demanding better youth development at the MLS level. It was putting a band-aid on a hatchet wound. I wouldn't expect his predecessors to put a premium on youth development at the domestic league level because they were MLS guys, but a guy who came from Europe you'd think would understand the necessity for youth development in domestic leagues

2 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I was thinking about this today, with the current crop of utterly shitty MLS players on the USMNT roster Klinsmann was kind of a genius for scouring the globe to find players with US heritage to join the roster, but also his biggest failure was not demanding better youth development at the MLS level. It was putting a band-aid on a hatchet wound. I wouldn't expect his predecessors to put a premium on youth development at the domestic league level because they were MLS guys, but a guy who came from Europe you'd think would understand the necessity for youth development in domestic leagues

that was actually one of JK's top priorities and a sticking point as to why we didn't hire him 4 years before we did (sunil did not want to give him complete control of the youth program).  

On 6/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, ztejas said:

You're right. Only 13 years and 390 apps in the PL. What a scrub. 

you just had to.  harumph.  note, the appearance numbers in the wikis are all over the map.  for example, for keller, the table in his wiki says 176 appearances for millwall, but in the text it gives a number of 202 in all competitions.  i am quoting the numbers in the tables.  caps are for appearances at all levels.  note you undersold tim by 9 league fixtures according to his wiki.

Keller

went to europe at 22

1992 - 2008 (16 years)

503 league appearances

128 caps

Total: 631

Friedel

went to europe at 24

1995 - 2015 with exception of MLS season 1 with Columbus (so 19 years)

519 league appearances

82 caps

Total: 601

Howard

went to europe at 24

2003 - 2016 (13 years)

399 league appearances

128 caps

Total: 527

Okay, closer than i thought.

Advantage: ztejas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you just had to.  harumph.  note, the appearance numbers in the wikis are all over the map.  for example, for keller, the table in his wiki says 176 appearances for millwall, but in the text it gives a number of 202 in all competitions.  i am quoting the numbers in the tables.  caps are for appearances at all levels.  note you undersold tim by 9 league fixtures according to his wiki.

Keller

went to europe at 22

1992 - 2008 (16 years)

503 league appearances

128 caps

Total: 631

Friedel

went to europe at 24

1995 - 2015 with exception of MLS season 1 with Columbus (so 19 years)

519 league appearances

82 caps

Total: 601

Howard

went to europe at 24

2003 - 2016 (13 years)

399 league appearances

128 caps

Total: 527

Okay, closer than i thought.

Advantage: ztejas

I'm not even old enough to have seen the other 2 play. Don't sweat it 😁

18 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This makes me happier.

If he's not going to go to the U-20 WC and then is going to be played at RB in the Gold Cup, then FUCK US SOCCER!!

Hit the beaches in Europe and get some rest.

This definitely makes me feel better.

• Like 2

Lille escaped relegation two years ago and then finished second in Ligue 1 this past season.Their top two scorers are wingers, but Nicolas Pepe has been linked to a couple of different big places this summer which would hopefully open up consistent playing time for Tim.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, Helobious said:

Is US soccer getting worse? Honest question. I’ve been hearing about it being poised to be the biggest sport here for the majority of my life at this point. Not only has that not happened but the national team seems to be regressing. 

Yes.  Somehow, since the mid-2000's, US soccer has gotten worse despite more people playing, more people watching, a better domestic league, a much better international footprint (i.e. scouting players that have US ties), more money being dropped, and a pretty respectable showing internationally for about 15 years.  Thanks USSF.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

So the USWNT is 1st in the FIFA rankings and Thailand is 34th. The USMNT is 24th which is completely laughable and Guayana is 175th in the FIFA rankings and shouldn't even be in the Gold Cup. I would put the US somewhere in the 70s right now between Honduras and Canada among CONCACAF teams so they're still probably 100 spots better than Guayana and I still wonder how many full games they'd have to play to score 13 goals against them.

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I was a co-founder of Sam's Army in 1995.  We began explaining this problem to MLS executives in 1997.  22 years later, and they still don't get it.  Thank you sir, for posting this critical evidence of Juergen's brilliance.  The date of this clip was 27 June 2010, the day after the US loss to Ghana on 26 June 2010.

All hail kingkoopa.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

So the USWNT is 1st in the FIFA rankings and Thailand is 34th. The USMNT is 24th which is completely laughable and Guayana is 175th in the FIFA rankings and shouldn't even be in the Gold Cup. I would put the US somewhere in the 70s right now between Honduras and Canada among CONCACAF teams so they're still probably 100 spots better than Guayana and I still wonder how many full games they'd have to play to score 13 goals against them.

I mean, you do realize that the difference between 1 and 200 in international men's is closer than 1 and 34 in women's, yes?  Or is this more sarcasm I'm missing?

Please stop comparing the two.

• Like 2

Not trying to be a bitch.  It's just that both teams have completely different outlooks and defs of success.  The women would consider 2nd place in the WC as unacceptable.  The men, even overachieving and during the run of the Golden Generation - woyld call a "final eight" a success.

Here are the FIFA rankings at the time of the Gold Cup and the worst team they played in that tournament along with the results. I cannot emphasize enough how bad Guyana is.

USA 35, Nicaragua 105
USA 3-0 win

USA 27, Cuba 107
USA 6-0 win

USA 22, Belize 130
USA 6-1 win

I was a co-founder of Sam's Army in 1995.  We began explaining this problem to MLS executives in 1997.  22 years later, and they still don't get it.  Thank you sir, for posting this critical evidence of Juergen's brilliance.  The date of this clip was 27 June 2010, the day after the US loss to Ghana on 26 June 2010.
All hail kingkoopa.

Fucking love the Sammers!!! Fuck AO

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not trying to be a bitch.  It's just that both teams have completely different outlooks and defs of success.  The women would consider 2nd place in the WC as unacceptable.  The men, even overachieving and during the run of the Golden Generation - woyld call a "final eight" a success.

in order to make an elite 8 we would have to win 2 elimination games in a row, something we have never done at any level since the beginning of time (1930).

41 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Fucking love the Sammers!!! Fuck AO

I was in both.  I wasn't a founder of Sam's Army, but I was pretty damn close.  I went to all the "dos a cero" games in Columbus.  I think I was Sam's Army in 2001 and 2005; AO in 2009 and 2013.   Anyway, AO went from a kind of cooler alternate to SA to a band of merry hipsters and I was out.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

in order to make an elite 8 we would have to win 2 elimination games in a row, something we have never done at any level since the beginning of time (1930).

True that and kind of my point.  They had a couple of chances.  German handball no call in 2002 and stupid, GD, useless, waste of space Wondolowski.

14 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

All hail kingkoopa.

And in my experience, as a dad of a 12 year old in the system (not DA good) I can see some incredible improvements.  One of my friends runs one of the better known AAU programs and I am pretty certain there is not a lot of difference between availability for high level players in soccer or basketball. 

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was in both.  I wasn't a founder of Sam's Army, but I was pretty damn close.  I went to all the "dos a cero" games in Columbus.  I think I was Sam's Army in 2001 and 2005; AO in 2009 and 2013.   Anyway, AO went from a kind of cooler alternate to SA to a band of merry hipsters and I was out.

A schoolteacher (one of the first 25ish co-founders) who lives in western New York filed the marks for Sam's Army and refused to enhance or expand the brand and prevented the entire organization from using the marks without his approval (profit).  AO was created by 2 guys from Omaha and filled the void.  The Sammers were formed several years ago in an attempt to restore the brand but we're all 25 years older and it hasn't taken off yet.  Word is a Supporter's Council has formed and is liasing with the Fed, but of course the USSF hates the existence of independent supporters groups because they want to monetize and operate everything instead of just regulating and sanctioning, like every other Fed in the werld.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

True that and kind of my point.  They had a couple of chances.  German handball no call in 2002 and stupid, GD, useless, waste of space Wondolowski.

The Torsten Frings handball, had it been called and the kick converted, would not have changed things.  The ball is round, the pitch is a rectangle, the game is 90 minutes long, and the Germans win on penalties.  That game was a quarterfinal that followed Jeonju.  So yes a win would have been 2 in a row.  But the United States is not beating Germany on kicks.  Also remember that Tony Sanneh had an unmarked header at the top of the 6 on 93'.  Not as egregious as Wondolowski 14, but pretty bad.  Regardless, the soccer gods were not letting the US advance over Germany on a day when England could not beat Brazil.

The Wondo miss came in normal injury time and yes it would have sent the US through.  But that was a Round of 16 game.  So it would not have been a 2nd consecutive knockout win.

3 hours ago, pied said:

And in my experience, as a dad of a 12 year old in the system (not DA good) I can see some incredible improvements.  One of my friends runs one of the better known AAU programs and I am pretty certain there is not a lot of difference between availability for high level players in soccer or basketball. 

Are you paying for your son to play?

Is your son playing every week 10 months out of the year?

Is your son (at 12 years old) playing 20 minute halves with limited substitutions?

43 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Are you paying for your son to play?

Is your son playing every week 10 months out of the year?

Is your son (at 12 years old) playing 20 minute halves with limited substitutions?

1.  I am, but no several who pay a reduced amount and am aware of several who pay nothing. (again, not out of line with the top AAU programs, and my kid's team is not an elite level team)

2.  Games go from Aug-Dec, Jan -Apr, tournaments the other months w/futsal in the summer (indoor in Dec/Jan).  

Traninig 2X/week, plus keeper training 1x/week, total 3/week for the entire year outside holiday weeks/weather issues, but I'd say at least 2x/week for 48 weeks of the year.

3.  45 minute halves, unlimited subs, but my kid is a keeper.  

Edited by pied

6 minutes ago, pied said:

1.  I am, but no several who pay a reduced amount and am aware of several who pay nothing. (again, not out of line with the top AAU programs, and my kid's team is not an elite level team)

2.  Games go from Aug-Dec, Jan -Apr, tournaments the other months w/futsal in the summer (indoor in Dec/Jan).  

Traninig 2X/week, plus keeper training 1x/week, total 3/week for the entire year outside holiday weeks/weather issues, but I'd say at least 2x/week for 48 weeks of the year.

are you in austin?

On 6/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, pied said:

My kid played DA for 3.5 years during HS.  He played HS senior year.  DA practiced 4 days a week and played 26-30 games a year from Sept-June.  This included showcase and playoff games. After playoffs we held tryouts and early August was preseason training.  We generally had a two week break for vacations.  Christmas was always Disney tourney.  And when the Belgian company Double Pass did their assessment each year, then the coach became really engaged.  There were limited subs and 45 min. halves.  And the attacking players in DA were better than the attackers on college teams from my limited college watching perspective.  We paid for travel but not club fees except a small amount comparatively in last two years.  The refs were typically better than the local competitive level. The refs at USL summer games seem to suck and it affects the quality of play.

DA had video of the games and one season the coach marked up the videos, but I was the only one who watched the marked up videos on my lunch hour at work.  Suggested many times to have video sessions and futsal trainings, but it was always pawed off as a good idea and it never happened.  A couple of the boys would do pick up futsal with adults after training and would get more in that hour and a half than they would in the training.  Just like pick up bball, you had to win to stay on the court.  No better motivation.  

• Like 2