Texas recruiting notes 2019

From OB, it doesn't sound like a totally botched weekend. Parents saw McCombs, NaNa had fun and said it was "awesome." 

Curious what the other writers heard that caused them to flip their CBs. Just not enough to "blow him away"?

Also curious what was so great at ND that blew NaNa away? Nolan is Catholic, but they definitely don't harp the religious side as much as other private schools with a religious base.

1 hour ago, angryhomer said:

Don't you mean the US Border Patrol?

US BP does a hell of job from what I am able to see and hear on a daily basis (living on the border).

Now the good ‘ol Mexican BP doesn’t exist, so they are just like the $9.95ers...full of shit

35 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

NaNa has always seemed like he wanted a reason to commit to ND. Some kids are just like that. If he is telling OB that he is torn after the OV, he is being nice. 

The rule of thumb that I subscribe to is that if the post-visit report is anything other than "BEST. VISIT. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type stuff, then it actually didn't go that great. Visits are ALWAYS really great, tons of fun, made up a lot of ground, blah blah blah. The praise needs to be absolutely over the top for the visit to actually be a big deal, IMO.

It's interesting that the conventional wisdom here is that it's better to have the last official visit, but going second seems to have bitten us in the ass on Wilson, Leal, and Nana.

9 minutes ago, CravenTaters said:

From OB, it doesn't sound like a totally botched weekend. Parents saw McCombs, NaNa had fun and said it was "awesome." 

Curious what the other writers heard that caused them to flip their CBs. Just not enough to "blow him away"?

Also curious what was so great at ND that blew NaNa away? Nolan is Catholic, but they definitely don't harp the religious side as much as other private schools with a religious base.

OBs generally doesn't know shit when it comes to football recruiting.

NaNa's parents love the private Catholic vibe that ND offers, apparently.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, ousux said:
18 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:
This sounds like a hell of an idea. Texas should definitely try winning and see if that helps.

I don't know man, I hear too much of that isn't good for the kids..

If we could just all move towards participation medals, I think we would be golden.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Funny that was Nana's first concert ever. Goes with the sober, religious vibe that family's giving off.

Meh, concert tickets are pretty cost-prohibitive for the average 18 yr old. 

My family is nowhere near religious and I wasn’t able to attend one until college.

Edited by Nope

18 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This sounds like a hell of an idea. Texas should definitely try winning and see if that helps.

Wait, let's reconsider this plan.  Last year we started out 1-2 and landed a Top 5 class.  Maybe Herman should tank two out of the first three.  It just might work!

Funny that was Nana's first concert ever. Goes with the sober, religious vibe that family's giving off.
And that may be the issue, lot of people at that thing puffing the hippy lettuce and/or trippin balls on other things. I don't know the kid or his parents, but African immigrants tend to be very conservative..

1 minute ago, ousux said:

And that may be the issue, lot of people at that thing puffing the hippy lettuce and/or trippin balls on other things. I don't know the kid or his parents, but African immigrants tend to be very conservative..

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Barack Hussein Obama says hi.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The rule of thumb that I subscribe to is that if the post-visit report is anything other than "BEST. VISIT. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type stuff, then it actually didn't go that great. Visits are ALWAYS really great, tons of fun, made up a lot of ground, blah blah blah. The praise needs to be absolutely over the top for the visit to actually be a big deal, IMO.

It's interesting that the conventional wisdom here is that it's better to have the last official visit, but going second seems to have bitten us in the ass on Wilson, Leal, and Nana.

Then too, there’s also the reality that you’re not going to sign them all, regardless of which OVs were taken in which order.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Again with this shit. I can think of lots of things worse than losing players to Notre Dame. For starters, losing to OU on the field. Losing players to OU. Having a neighbor who graduated form OU. There list goes on and on. 

I agree. Doesn't move the needle for me. At least a kid that claims to value academics didn't turn around and sign with LSU.

A lot of stupid on Surly today. If a kid grows up in a strong Catholic family and having that in college is important to him and his family, picking Notre Dame is not that shocking. It doesn't mean Giles sucks, or Tom can't recruit, or all the other hand wriging going on. It just means that a kid is picking the best fit for himself and his family. Good for him and best of luck.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

A lot of stupid on Surly today. If a kid grows up in a strong Catholic family and having that in college is important to him and his family, picking Notre Dame is not that shocking. It doesn't mean Giles sucks, or Tom can't recruit, or all the other hand wriging going on. It just means that a kid is picking the best fit for himself and his family. Good for him and best of luck.

It also doesn't have to be one or the other.

NaNa and his parents may value what ND offers due to cultural factors.

Giles is a suboptimal recruiter, and is part of the reason we weren't able to make up as ground as we might have been able to and effectively counter that pitch.

Giles is a good on-the-field coach.

We don't need to fire Giles.

We can and should help Giles on the trail, in the short term by increasing the involvement of ace recruiters (like Washington) on priority targets, and hiring another DL coach to help with recruiting after this season is over.

None of these are contradictory.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If Surly is stupid today, then I don't know what to call 247.

37 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

This is our world, we've lost more recruits to Notre Dame than any other program since the 1920s.  The Catholic school draw is strong, and that campus is stunning.  I grew up a Notre Dame fan...till I saw the light.  Helps that ND was not co-ed till 1972....

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-monday-may-7th/

– As you all know by now, Texas secured a commitment from grad transfer Running Back Tre Watson yesterday.

Watson should provide the Longhorns running back room with some much needed depth. He is a guy who could be your work horse due to his ability to get to the next gear or just flat run over a man. His frame is already built out, and he has shown the traits of being able to get through the inside with low pad level, break through arm tackles, and make one cut and go which makes Watson a perfect back for the inside zone offense that Texas runs.

Through his 266 carries over the first four years of his career, he only had a single fumble while he averaged an astounding 4.95 yards per carry in his last two years, and 1390 over his first three years. He was also effective through the air gaining 379 yards.

With the lackluster rushing performance during the Spring Game, Texas made it no secret that they needed help at running back. They needed someone to lighten the load on Sam Ehlinger who is taking more beatings than he needs to. With the two best backs in the running back room entering just their sophomore season, Texas badly needed the ready-to-go running back that Tre Watson provides them.

Tre also brings to Texas some good production on special teams. Throughout his time in Cal, Tre had 657 kickoff return yards (19.32 yards/kickoff).

While Tre Watson won’t break any home runs, he will provide a steady stream of good carries. He also allows Texas to keep incoming freshman RB Keaontay Ingram off the field to develop him and the running back room in general. – (Will)

Are you excited about graduate transfer players coming to the Texas program? You should be because the Texas roster isn’t set up for a big year without them. Not only has Tom signed offensive tackle, Calvin Anderson, now running back,Tre Watson, but you might see another. We’ll save that for another time because I’m here to provide you some thoughts on the new running back. You may ask, ‘Don’t we have enough running backs?’ That’s a valid question. Prior to the Watson signing, there were Kyle Porter, Daniel Young, Toneil Carter, and perpetually injured who you hope to have a Jordan Shipley-esque comeback, Kirk Johnson. Don’t forget Ingraham too, the incoming freshman. While that seems like a lot of bodies, it’s not, I’ll tell you why.

Out of all the backs aforementioned, only one showed consistent effective performance, Daniel Young. The others showed you consistently ineffective play, poor ball security despite big play potential, and constant sidelining injury. That sucks. Now, imagine none of that changing. Do you see my point? Herman knows he needs help at the position and I suspect he’d prefer a ‘3-deep’ solution of Young, Watson, and another, perhaps Johnson if blessed with help, Ingraham if blessed with quick learning, or settling on Porter, who isn’t bad per se, but hasn’t shown the ability to consistently produce or break big plays. That said, what does Watson bring to the table?

Watson is ‘short’ (5′ 9/10“) and possesses good speed. He’s not as shifty as you’d like, but he strikes me as a patient and physical runner. He even catches the ball well, a very good thing given the amount of running back Flare concepts Herman likes to run. This is where he excels, as he seems to have a knack for navigating the flat and taking on tacklers on the perimeter, even breaking long runs. When receiving hand-offs, Tre is patient behind leads and pullers and finds creases well. He’s still best when attacking the perimeter. While Texas hasn’t quite revealed the full extent of the 2018 offense, as mentioned before here, don’t expect any huge changes. Tre should fit quite well in Texas’ Zone, Power, and Counter schemes, as they allow him to read blocks and cut back or bounce runs.

How does Tre compare to the current stable of Texas runners? Watson is similar in size to Kyle Porter, however, he shares a penchant for vision with Daniel Young and possesses more speed than either. He’s also a smoother runner than Porter, in my opinion. If his ball security isn’t an issue, that places him right in the mix for lead ball carrier, a pretty big deal because many expect Hand’s charges to clear paths better in 2018. Unless Johnson is able to stay healthy and push for touches and Ingraham shows an ability to adapt to the next lever quick, you’re going to see a lot of Watson. Overall, I like the signing and expect improvement on offense. After all, after you’ve reached rock bottom, the only way to go is up! – (Gabe)

– In case you missed me on 104.9 The Horn in Austin this morning with Trey and BK, I went in depth on the recruitment of the Louisiana recruits that visited Texas this weekend. University Lab ATH Makiya Tongue and Dunham School CB Derek Stingley are the two.

We’ll start with Tongue, coming into the weekend I felt like Texas had a chance to solidify themselves as the leader for Tongue.  Makiya holds offers from schools like Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, and more. Most programs want to play him at outside linebacker, however, he wants a chance to play wide receiver in college. Texas is going to give him that chance and he got to spend some time with Drew Mehringer this weekend. Texas looks to lead here, and I get a sense that Tongue could shut it down sooner rather than later.

As for Stingley, the number two corner back in the country, not too much changed in his recruitment over the weekend. Texas is still a legit player here, and really impressed Stingley on his official. But when I keep talking to people, everyone seems to have the same thought; It is hard to see him ending up at any school besides LSU. He also dropped this tweet following his official visit.

https://twitter.com/JrStingley/status/993188234812411904

Expect Texas to make the cut, along with Florida and LSU. Stingley loves Jason Washington and he is going to keep Texas close in this one. It just doesn’t look like it will be enough as of right now. – (Andrew)

Nana Osafo-Mensah: While NaNa enjoyed his trip over the weekend where they got to meet business school teachers and take a tour, hang with players, and meet one-on-one with coaches, we currently do not feel good about Texas’ position with NaNa Osafo-Mensah.

We’ll add more late. – (Will)

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

OBs generally doesn't know shit when it comes to football recruiting.

NaNa's parents love the private Catholic vibe that ND offers, apparently.

I know a little bit about this kid and his family.  He went to St. Andrews (Catholic) for elementary school, spent a year or two at Trinity Valley (secular private) and then went to Nolan (Catholic).  St. Andrews and Nolan are ok but not really top notch academic schools.  Even FWISD offers better options academically than Nolan and St. Andrews.  Trinity Valley is very good academically but not so great in football and it ain't Catholic either.  What that tells me about the family is that given the option, they're going to gravitate towards the Catholic school over the secular school especially since Notre Dame checks all the academic boxes as well.