Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hmmm. Let's try something different, given the shitty direction you dicks have taken the thread.

Cain isn't #1 or #2 on the recruiting board at TB. He might be who Texas signs, nonetheless. Sanders is also not on the list, although he'd be taken if he miraculously wanted to come.

Who is at the top of the board?

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

How Texas missed on Wilson yet still recouped much of the loss, and in some ways gained more variety in a white kid from Arizona is beyond me. Reminds of Steve Largent with the grit of Audie Murphy.

Wtf Nahlin, I would expect to hear this on an aggy board.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Unfortunately, I had the same thought.

As did I. Lot of sunshine pumping and talk of “more upside”. Leal, Wilson, and Bragg are the big misses. We never really had a chance with Cupp as he was aggy from the jump. Jimbo may have caught the staff a bit by surprise early. He seemed to waive the white flag on the 2018 class and get a jump on 2019 more aggressively when he came in. You can kind of see him doing the same for 2020 to build a core of elite guys but we are countering. That plus the rampant cheating and first year bump gives aggy a good class at the end of the day. Losing Brewster should hurt a little, but I expect our in state haul to be really good next year.

Also, I so wish that Mack and Charlie had done what Herman seems to be doing at the QB position. If we had gone for the top Westlake or Lake Travis QB at least once every other cycle, our QB recruiting would have been historic over the last 10-15 years. Herman seems to be doing this now, but the NFL data is becoming too big to ignore. Those schools are the most prolific QB factories in the country and we have been so stupid to overlook them in our own backyard. Yes, we missed on Gilbert, but would have hit more often than not and he still found his way to the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

As did I. Lot of sunshine pumping and talk of “more upside”. Leal, Wilson, and Bragg are the big misses. We never really had a chance with Cupp as he was aggy from the jump. Jimbo may have caught the staff a bit by surprise early. He seemed to waive (come on man) the white flag on the 2018 class and get a jump on 2019 more aggressively when he came in. You can kind of see him doing the same for 2020 to build a core of elite guys but we are countering. That plus the rampant cheating and first year bump gives aggy a good class at the end of the day. Losing Brewster should hurt a little, but I expect our in state haul to be really good next year. 

Jimbo had a decent 2018 close - he brought in a bunch of SEC country mercenaries, including a good QB.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jimbo had a decent 2018 close - he brought in a bunch of SEC country mercenaries, including a good QB.

Looks like you found the easter egg. I dont really consider buying some players late in the cycle closing strong. He took some awful takes just for bodies, but The QB was a good pull. 

The article has a lot of sunshine, but the bottom line is we landed out of state kids who'd arguably be the best inside linebacker, slot wr, corner, and safety prospects in the state. We have a chance to land Noah Cain, who'd arguably be the best running back in the state as well. Liebrock is a fine replacement for Stogner (who we didn't recruit, but he's more similar to Stogner than to Cupp). Cupp is a stud, but Wiley is a fine high upside replacement who gets to make up for not playing TE this year by enrolling early. 

Leal and Bragg are big misses, and to a lesser extent Wilson and Green are as well. We're making up for Leal with numbers, and while they won't have the immediate impact as an early enrolling Leal would have, down the line they can mitigate the loss; however, we need to start landing the priority DL studs. There's a gaping hole right now in the class where Bragg should be, and I'm not sure if that'll get filled in the current class, it might have to wait until 2020. I think Whittington replaces Wilson fine, and the Johnson/Hookfin/Shepherd tackle combo replaces Green fine.

• Like 2

Just now, Fud said:

Well, I'm assuming the other two aren't in Texas. Unless you think Spiller or Glass are better?

My shitpost didn't merit a reply at all, dude.  Let alone an attempt at substantive discussion.

Obviously Cain would be the #1 ranked RB in the state.  He's ranked well ahead of any of the others.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fud said:

Well, I'm assuming the other two aren't in Texas. 

Correct. Ignore the fatkid. Apparently one is OU bound. Seems like there are good odds we end up with Cain, for whatever that is worth. I've maintained all along that folks writing him off were being premature, and that's proven out, but it doesn't make me excited. I hope he's good enough to consistently move the chains as a 4.7 guy, in any event. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Correct. Ignore the fatkid. Apparently one is OU bound. Seems like there are good odds we end up with Cain, for whatever that is worth. I've maintained all along that folks writing him off were being premature, and that's proven out, but it doesn't make me excited. I hope he's good enough to consistently move the chains as a 4.7 guy, in any event. 

Ignoring the fatkid is impossible.  I've got way more gravitas than you. 

F = G*((m sub 1*m sub 2)/r^2)

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I'd be fine with him because the depth chart next year vs LSU is likely just Ingram and Young with Derrian Brown third string barring a grad transfer, and Cain being an early enrollee and polished running back from IMG means he should be able to contribute better earlier in the season than other true freshmen would. I'm also happy if we land someone who the staff thinks is better long term. 

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

so Majors and DJ Williams?

makes sense!

As did I. Lot of sunshine pumping and talk of “more upside”. Leal, Wilson, and Bragg are the big misses. We never really had a chance with Cupp as he was aggy from the jump. Jimbo may have caught the staff a bit by surprise early. He seemed to waive the white flag on the 2018 class and get a jump on 2019 more aggressively when he came in. You can kind of see him doing the same for 2020 to build a core of elite guys but we are countering. That plus the rampant cheating and first year bump gives aggy a good class at the end of the day. Losing Brewster should hurt a little, but I expect our in state haul to be really good next year.

Also, I so wish that Mack and Charlie had done what Herman seems to be doing at the QB position. If we had gone for the top Westlake or Lake Travis QB at least once every other cycle, our QB recruiting would have been historic over the last 10-15 years. Herman seems to be doing this now, but the NFL data is becoming too big to ignore. Those schools are the most prolific QB factories in the country and we have been so stupid to overlook them in our own backyard. Yes, we missed on Gilbert, but would have hit more often than not and he still found his way to the NFL. 

The current WL freshman QB is a monster. The three in front of him (two Jrs and a Senior) are baseball first guys.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Starting to wonder if Greg Davis really on the table for Mack now.

Was just about to say the same.  Doesn't seem so far-fetched now.  UNC should have just lit all of that money on fire.  At least they would haven gotten some warmth from it.

• Haha 1