Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

He's a massive Shepherd, Coker, George, etc type of body, but is actually pretty fluid and athletic, he's just a mess technically and probably needs quite a big of weight room work 

Think of him as being a long-term raw high ceiling take in the 2018 class, who you wouldn't have expected much from until at least year three (2020) but more likely years four and five (2021 and 2020)

Shackleford leaves after 2019, and Okafor, Imade, Cosmi, and Kerstetter all likely leave after 2020 (there's a slight chance that Kerstetter is here in 2021 if he redshirts in one of the next two years, and Cosmi if he stays for his fifth year, but both seem unlikely), so for 2021 you're most likely looking at the 2018 class (Jones, Angilau, Moore, Ghirmai) and the 2019 class (T Johnson, Shepherd, Hookfin) as your primary two-deep, with maybe some of the 2020 kids pushing (likely either Parr or Majors at center, and Lindberg somewhere)

From the lens that he'll give cover in 2021 after a bunch of guys leave, I think this take makes some sense as long as there's room on the roster, and there is 

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's a massive Shepherd, Coker, George, etc type of body, but is actually pretty fluid and athletic, he's just a mess technically and probably needs quite a big of weight room work 

Think of him as being a long-term raw high ceiling take in the 2018 class, who you wouldn't have expected much from until at least year three (2020) but more likely years four and five (2021 and 2020)

Shackleford leaves after 2019, and Okafor, Imade, Cosmi, and Kerstetter all likely leave after 2020 (there's a slight chance that Kerstetter is here in 2021 if he redshirts in one of the next two years, and Cosmi if he stays for his fifth year, but both seem unlikely), so for 2021 you're most likely looking at the 2018 class (Jones, Angilau, Moore, Ghirmai) and the 2019 class (T Johnson, Shepherd, Hookfin) as your primary two-deep, with maybe some of the 2020 kids pushing (likely either Parr or Majors at center, and Lindberg somewhere)

From the lens that he'll give cover in 2021 after a bunch of guys leave, I think this take makes some sense as long as there's room on the roster, and there is 

I agree that he fills the roster gap that our small 2017 and 2019 classes have left. It is also insurance should one or more of the 2018 or 2019 classes prove to be misses and leave the program. That said, I probably would have been fine with not taking him as we could continue to pull in already developed GTs to cover holes in the next couple of seasons, if needed. 

Edited by rickyspub

16 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I agree that he fills the roster gap that our small 2017 and 2019 classes have left. It is also insurance should one or more of the 2018 or 2019 classes prove to be misses and leave the program. That said, I probably would have been fine with not taking him as we could continue to pull in already developed GTs to cover holes in the next couple of seasons, if needed. 

Live look in on @Burt Macklin as he reads y'all's posts:

tenor.gif?itemid=9201830

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I think we were looking at operating far enough under the ideal experienced OL scholarship number for the next two or three years to where it made sense to add another guy, even with the potential to add future grad transfers in mind. Even with potentially adding five in 2020 and not counting potential grad transfer additions, before Tyler (assuming we land him), we were looking at six non-true freshmen OL in 2019, and then eight non-true freshmen OL in 2020; that's no enough, especially when one is Urquidez. Tyler would move that to seven and nine, which while is still not enough, is better than it would have been.

And then we lose potentially five of them after the 2020 season. 

There's a chance we add eleven between the 2020-2021 seasons, which means our OL room might finally have a healthy number, but Tyler is another body to bridge that gap. 

Edited by Fud

17 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Is there any film on Tyler? I didn't see a HUDL page the last time I looked.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10935537/5bbb7418578d720dd8b8490e

in all seriousness, he’s not absolutely horrible, but he does remind me of a Coker/George type like Fud said, neither of which I view as takes out of HS but I’m pretty much all aboard the Herb Hand train, so if he wants him, then I’ll trust the corch, I guess. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think we were looking at operating far enough under the ideal experienced OL scholarship number for the next two or three years to where it made sense to add another guy, even with the potential to add future grad transfers in mind. Even with potentially adding five in 2020 and not counting potential grad transfer additions, before Tyler (assuming we land him), we were looking at six non-true freshmen OL in 2019, and then eight non-true freshmen OL in 2020; that's no enough, especially when one is Urquidez. Tyler would move that to seven and nine, which while is still not enough, is better than it would have been.

And then we lose potentially five of them after the 2020 season. 

There's a chance we add eleven between the 2020-2021 seasons, which means our OL room might finally have a healthy number, but Tyler is another body to bridge that gap. 

Where are your numbers coming from? Without projecting transfers, I get:

2019 is 10. 2019: Okafor, Shack, Cosmi, Kerstetter, Imade, Moore, Angolau, Ghirmia, Jones, Urqiidez (I guess we’ll count him).  

And 2020 will be 12. 2020: Everyone above besides Shack plus the 3 from the 19 class.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

2019 is 10. 2019: Okafor, Shack, Cosmi, Kerstetter, Imade, Moore, Angolau, Ghirmia, Jones, Urqiidez (I guess we’ll count him).  

And 2020 will be 12. 2020: Everyone above besides Shack plus the 3 from the 19 class. 

Math is hard at the end of the day, you're correct. I wasn't adding the 2018 class. Either way, I think we're still low enough for it to make sense to take Tyler, especially with potentially losing four (or five if you count Urquidez) guys after 2020

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

with the smaller OL classes the past two years, Tyler should help have a full 2 deep while we redshirt all of the 2020 haul.  Best guess.  Could allow for a braun redshirt too I guess. 

I suspect many of us (myself included) will have a grand ole time mixing up Tyler Johnson and Willie Tyler in the years ahead.

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

2019 is 10. 2019: Okafor, Shack, Cosmi, Kerstetter, Imade, Moore, Angolau, Ghirmai, Jones, Urqiidez (I guess we’ll count him).  

We talked about this before and you keep ignoring the fact that at a minimum Urquidez, Imade, and Okafor will all graduate before their last year of eligibility and while it is true that OL stay longer than most other positions with the rise of the portal some of these guys will be able to see a chance at starting for their last year of football and getting a head start on their graduate program vs. being lucky to stay on the 2-deep with the younger guys that were recruited by this staff coming up. Three guys held over from the last staff that have already graduated and are being pushed out by younger guys with more athleticism and better scheme fits. Tyler is simply insurance vs. those losses and the light numbers taken in 2018. Consider that same depth chart for 2020 minus those 3 guys and Shack :: Cosmi, Kerstetter, Moore, Angolau, Ghirmai, Jones. Johnson. Hookfin. Shepherd. 

All three leaving seems unlikely but seeing how well the OL that hit the portal have done, I would imagine we will see at least 2 of those 3 spend their 2020 season starting somewhere else instead of being pushed off the 2-deep at Texas. Take injuries into account and you can see why this offer was made. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

We talked about this before and you keep ignoring the fact that at a minimum Urquidez, Imade, and Okafor will all graduate before their last year of eligibility and while it is true that OL stay longer than most other positions with the rise of the portal some of these guys will be able to see a chance at starting for their last year of football and getting a head start on their graduate program vs. being lucky to stay on the 2-deep with the younger guys that were recruited by this staff coming up. Three guys held over from the last staff that have already graduated and are being pushed out by younger guys with more athleticism and better scheme fits. Tyler is simply insurance vs. those losses and the light numbers taken in 2018. Consider that same depth chart for 2020 minus those 3 guys and Shack :: Cosmi, Kerstetter, Moore, Angolau, Ghirmai, Jones. Johnson. Hookfin. Shepherd. 

All three leaving seems unlikely but seeing how well the OL that hit the portal have done, I would imagine we will see at least 2 of those 3 spend their 2020 season starting somewhere else instead of being pushed off the 2-deep at Texas. Take injuries into account and you can see why this offer was made. 

Hopefully no matter what we take at least 5, maybe 6, in the 2021 class that's loaded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I didn’t ignore anything. I literally just asked Fud how he got the numbers he posted because it was way off from what I thought the numbers were.

I agree you can probably subtract 2 from 2019 and 2020 if you want to get to a functional depth number. Regardless, that 2020 does t worry me much considering our success with GTs so far.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn’t ignore anything.

From you on this subject :: 

Disagree. Staff wants some open numbers for transfers each year, so he will impact how many we take in 2020. 

We’re gonna have a scholarship crunch for the next few years because Herman has all his guys in here, so attrition will decrease.

The staff only showing interest when they thought they missed on Hookfin and while Shepherd was up in the air, plus not offering Tyler and saying they’re waiting to see what happens with GTs seems to confirm this. 

I’m not sure if that number’s currently accurate but regardless, I’d rather take a 6th 2020 OL or really a recruit at any position in 2020 over Tyler. He’ll take a spot for 3 years (thereby impacting numbers for the 2021 class too)

you continue to not factor in very likely attrition by, at a minimum, three guys who will have degrees and 2 of which have very little shot of any starting reps by that 2020 window. Also, Tyler doesn't impact 2021 numbers in the slightest because in essence he is a 2018 backfill. 

so yes, did ignore just about everything with regards to numbers and his impact on the 2020 and 2021 classes in terms of those numbers (which is in fact, ZERO). 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

with the smaller OL classes the past two years, Tyler should help have a full 2 deep while we redshirt all of the 2020 haul.  Best guess.  Could allow for a braun redshirt too I guess. 

Will  Juco-Tyler have 3yrs eligibility to be completed in 4yrs??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

From you on this subject :: 

you continue to not factor in very likely attrition by, at a minimum, three guys who will have degrees and 2 of which have very little shot of any starting reps by that 2020 window. Also, Tyler doesn't impact 2021 numbers in the slightest because in essence he is a 2018 backfill. 

so yes, did ignore just about everything with regards to numbers and his impact on the 2020 and 2021 classes in terms of those numbers (which is in fact, ZERO). 

I don’t expect Okafor to transfer, and I think he’ll start at guard this year, so I factored in Imade and Urqiidez leaving. I guess you could add one more if someone leaves early, but my question that you quoted was about total number of non-freshmen returning Based on the numbers fud gave. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-weekend-march-1st-3rd/

Upcoming Weekend Visitors
– Super K

***Also, Texas will host Georgia Tech grad transfer offensive lineman, Parker Braun, this upcoming weekend.

As you know JUCO OL Willie Tyler and Virginia Grad Transfer RJ Proctor visited Texas recently but our sense is that UT would prefer to get Braun in the boat. He seems to be the highest priority offensive line target at this point.

Willie Tyler Offered | His Plans Moving Forward
– Super K

As you all know JUCO OT, Willie Tyler (Iowa Western) visited Texas earlier this month. However, at that time he did not walk away with an offer.

That has now changed…

I spoke on the phone with Tyler and asked him how he felt, “I’m shocked. Two weeks ago, right after the Texas visit I was a little stressed. I didn’t think I was going to get it. But the O line coach kept telling me the be patient and that they liked me and that I made a good impression”.

Willie just got the offer so he’s still processing things but for right now he says he won’t do anything, at least until after this weekend when he’s set to visit West Virginia.

The other team lurking here is Oklahoma who has tentatively set up an official visit with Tyler for March 8th.