Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

Wilson is a great prospect that I was really hoping would pick Texas, but I'm not going to get too worked up about losing a 6'/4.7 40 wr. Leal hurts more, hope we can get him to reconsider.

This. I never saw Wilson play live, just watched the film, and trusted the word of people on this board that he was great. But, no sour grapes, his film didn't blow me away. I too feel much more dejected about losing Leal than Wilson. But, we do need something good to happen soon. Been a rough couple of weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

This. I never saw Wilson play live, just watched the film, and trusted the word of people on this board that he was great. But, no sour grapes, his film didn't blow me away. I too feel much more dejected about losing Leal than Wilson. But, we do need something good to happen soon. Been a rough couple of weeks. 

Tomorrow should be good for a pick me up.

33 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Perhaps it’s just wishful thinking, but if Wilson’s best 100m time really is 11.39 and that wasn’t from his freshman year in freezing rain or something, then I definitely prefer Smith.

Wilson does look really shifty, but I don’t see how he can be a 5 Star with that size and speed if true.  “OMG, a WR for Lake Travis caught a bunch of TDs!   That’s only happened every year for the last 15 years! He must be the next Jerry Rice!” 

Game speed > timed speed 

8 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

LSU 247 article on Watson from Shea Dixon

Reveal hidden contents

LSU hosted key RB target, Tre Watson this weekend.  The 5’10, 190-pounder from Corona opted to transfer in January after he suffered a season-ending injury in the second game last fall. The grad transfer from Cal told me last week he couldn't wait to make it out to Baton Rouge and take in all that campus has to offer, especially Death Valley and the local talent.   He also said he expects to leave with pockets that are much heavier than when he arrived. 

Watson said the highlight of his trip was getting to sit down with Coach O in his office before he headed back to California.  While he couldn't make out every word Coach O said, he was able to parse out the words, "tin debt," "dun bungled da rooster," and "dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da."  Watson told me over text he thinks this meant there's a lot of opportunity for him to come in and start immediately because Coach O couldn't find his depth chart for the last two recruiting periods, which resulted in terrible mismanagement of what should be a consistently loaded roster.  Watson said he loved the opportunity to play early and he couldn't believe Coach O was able to create a such huge opportunity for a RB at LSU in just two short years. I followed up later on the "dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da" part and Watson informed me that he believes Coach O was singing the song "I would walk 500 miles" to show how hard they're recruiting Watson.

That late Sunday visit, combined with former UT standout RB coach and current LSU RB coach, Tommie Robinson's assurance that Coach O has no input on scheme or play calling and that he merely sits in his office playing Connect Four against himself without ever winning during game prep sessions really sealed the deal for Watson.

I would expect a commitment any day now after the visit.  Since Watson is such a  sure thing at this point, I decided to plug Watson into the ©  247 Sports Class Calculator. While Watson doesn't have an actual ranking, I would put him in the low to mid 5 star range. If you go back and add the nation's #19 player, one-time LSU commit Caden Sterns, to LSU's class, it goes from a seemingly-impossible-to-attain-at-LSU 15th in the nation all the way up to 264.44, which would jump LSU 3 spots all the way up to a still unbelievably disappointing 12th place.

You forgot the part about Ed O telling him he's guaranteed to rush for 200+ plus against aggy.

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We need Bragg, Johnson and 1 of Wilkins/Shepherd and this will be a great OL class.  Can take a late riser type with the 4th spot.  I'll believe Green is happening when I see it.

Green might be more likely than Wilkins 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Who isn’t always open at Lake Travis, though?   I don’t think that’s automatically the same as Shipley setting records at Burnet and whatever other place his dad coached, C.D. Lamb scoring a billion TDs for a random Houston area school, or Roy Williams racking up yards for Permian even though their offense was run right and run left.

Wilson looks really good on film and is clearly a player to be getting recruited by Ohio State and Texas, but I just don’t get 5 Star top 10 player in the nation hype for a WR who isn’t an elite athlete.

Scorpio's post are satire, don't actually be like aggy.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The evidence continues to mount that Johnson is not a three-star.

But 247 remains blind.

Did you catch Barton's "he was MVP but wasn't anything special" begrudging half complement re yesterday's camp?