Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So who is Imade implying here? Leal?

Courtesy of 247 and Sarva: 

— Both Osafo-Mensah and Tyler Johnson are spending a lot of time with Texas offensive lineman Tope Imade. He has a great relationship with both prospects — Imade and Osafo-Mensah are from D-FW, and he is very similar from a personality standpoint to Johnson. Imade is playing a big role in both of these recruitments and is a secret weapon for the Longhorns. With that said, Derek Kerstetter is hosting Johnson, and Denzel Okafor is hosting Osafo-Mensah.

EJ says the weekend couldn’t have gone any better for Leal. Still not 100% confident they can flip him but he knows they are in a strong position. Also said Tyler Johnson’s visit was a home run but can’t get a read on Nana. Recruits are still on campus right now 

3 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I get it, but he did have over 700 in 2016 in an air raid offense, so he would already more if a possibility than anyone we currently have. 

more so than danny young?  nope.  probably not keontay either and toenail if he stops coughing it up.  tre watson is not some dynamic running back.  he’s solid depth. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

more so than danny young?  nope.  probably not keontay either and toenail if he stops coughing it up.  tre watson is not some dynamic running back.  he’s solid depth. 

If he can pick up blitzes, hold onto the ball, catch a few passes, avoid going down at first contact and hit whatever hole is made, that’s dynamic enough for now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

None of our current options have given me any reason to believe they could be that guy. I used to think Toniel and had high hopes, then the dude literally coughs up the first touch of the spring game. Young is solid if not unspectacular. I'll say this, if Tre does come and all three can hit  ~1100 yards as a unit I'll be ecstatic 

Got off my ass and looked up Techs backs.  Leading returning rusher is Tre King with 700 yards.  Three or four other upperclass  dudes with no significant production.  Coming in they have TaZhawn Henry and one other guy.  Hard to say their depth situation is worse than ours if he is deciding based on that. 

E.J. Holland: What we're hearing from key OV weekend

— I am told the weekend couldn’t have gone any better for Texas A&M defensive line commit DeMarvin Leal. He had a hell of a time at the JMBLYA festival and got to spend some quality time with members of the Texas team. Selling Austin was a focal point for Texas this weekend, and they did just that. Can Texas flip Leal? I’m not 100 percent confident right now, but I have reason to believe the Longhorns are in a strong position.

— Texas hit a homerun with Tyler Johnson. Like with Leal, Johnson had an amazing time at JMBLYA and hung out with Tope Imade, Derek Kerstetter and Cameron Rising, who has become a nice recruiter for the Longhorns. There is no reason for me to believe that Texas doesn’t have the lead in this recruitment. Simply put, it’s going to be nearly impossible to top the Longhorns after this trip.

— How am I feeling about four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah? I know that’s a popular question on the board right now. And to be honest, I’m not ready to answer it yet. Mike and I have spoken to separate sources, and we are told it’s tough to get a read on Osafo-Mensah at this time. His visit is not over, so the Longhorns are going to continue to work on him and his parents.

— Actually nobody’s visit is over just yet. Some of the Texas staff members are on their way to the lake to hang out with the recruits as they continue to sell the benefits of Austin to go along with their pitch about the future of the Texas program and the academics on the Forty Acres. This weekend has been all about making it the best recruiting weekend ever for prospects, and as Tyler Johnson told me, ‘it’s lit.’

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2

This Leal visit has been fun to follow. His snapchat lit up with videos from the concerts on Saturday and today he just posted videos out on the lake cruising on a sweet boat with some other players/recruits. I’m over in Sorrento Italy and can confirm that Leal had a blast this weekend, per his snapchat message to me. I’m running a special this weekend so that’s only $8.95. 

• Like 2

Just now, satyanash said:

An IT poster is claiming that Herman has an in with the director of the JMBYLA music festival, and the recruits were able to meet J.Cole and Migos backstage.

This is the type of shit that makes a difference. Huge, if true. 

It's kinda funny. As much shit as we rightly give College Station, compare it to most SEC destinations, and it's no contest -- College Station is far closer to an actual city that the vast majority of SEC stops are.

But then, if you compare it to Austin... it suddenly takes on sewage treatment plant qualities all over again. Unless you happen to be a white kid from the boring parts of Houston. 

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's kinda funny. As much shit as we rightly give College Station, compare it to most SEC destinations, and it's no contest -- College Station is far closer to an actual city that the vast majority of SEC stops are.

But then, if you compare it to Austin... it suddenly takes on sewage treatment plant qualities all over again. Unless you happen to be a white kid from the boring parts of Houston. 

But places like Oxford, Tuscaloosa and Gainesville are nice little towns that own their town-ness. CStat really combines the worst of both worlds.

29 minutes ago, TexasToast said:

Per TFloss

Cal grad transfer RB Tre Watson told OrangeBloods he will be making his commitment today.

I think he has told about 35 different people over the course of 8 or 9 days he was committing that day. 

29 minutes ago, TexasToast said:

Per TFloss

Cal grad transfer RB Tre Watson told OrangeBloods he will be making his commitment today.

Just saw this item got marooned on the bottom of 122. Get the Kate or whoever your good luck charm of choice is ready.