Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

EJ gonna EJ, but the NaNa warning signs were flashing even before his OV.

I'm not saying ND doesn't lead, I'm saying I don't buy all the jockeying. If we needed a homerun on the visit, then that means we probably never actually led, and all they hype we got about this recruitment  however many weeks ago was unwarranted.

For fuck’s sake Giles. Get it together. This dude must have the personality of a Wareheim shit to fuck up so consistently on recruiting. Especially for how well regarded of a coach he is. It’s almost like he has to work harder to fuck up recruiting considering most people consider him one of the better DL coaches around.

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I'm not saying ND doesn't lead, I'm saying I don't buy all the jockeying. If we needed a homerun on the visit, then that means we probably never actually led, and all they hype we got about this recruitment  however many weeks ago was unwarranted.

I mean, did you see what Carrington did this past January with guys like Carson and Ossai? Recruits absolutely do get swayed over time.

He probably had a really good OV to Notre Dame and we didn't do well enough to counter.

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It's pretty obvious the Notre Dame OV was a game changer 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I mean, did you see what Carrington did this past January with guys like Carson and Ossai? Recruits absolutely do get swayed over time.

Over time, obviously, but not as quick as it's often reported. 9.95ers are selling a product.

Edited by Lonestar88

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

For fuck’s sake Giles. Get it together. This dude must have the personality of a Wareheim shit to fuck up so consistently on recruiting. Especially for how well regarded of a coach he is. It’s almost like he has to work harder to fuck up recruiting considering most people consider him one of the better DL coaches around.

Every recruit says he's "funny" and that's it. I don't know if he's just not very warm or what.

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Looks like we'll be looking at JUCO's and grad transfers this time again next year for DL.  Might have to take a couple of JUCO's this year now.

Giles is a hell of a coach. His development track record is first rate. He's a bad recruiter. I've heard he's kind of shy in living rooms and doesn't relate well to kids and their families. Carrington he is not. 

Giles obviously needs help. I'm sure there will be some staff vacancies after the season. I hope Herman hires a rainmaker recruiter to coach DEs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Giles is a hell of a coach. His development track record is first rate. He's a bad recruiter. I've heard he's kind of shy in living rooms and doesn't relate well to kids and their families. Carrington he is not. 

Giles obviously needs help. I'm sure there will be some staff vacancies after the season. I hope Herman hires a rainmaker recruiter to coach DEs. 

None of this is anything that hasn't been said 20x times by now... Giles did well last year with the previous regime's D-line recruits. Eventually these misses will come back to haunt him when he's coaching 2020 and beyond.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like we'll be looking at JUCO's and grad transfers this time again next year for DL.  Might have to take a couple of JUCO's this year now.

You say that like it is a bad thing. We are going to sign a JUCO DE this year and we will sign a couple of big LBs who may end up spinning down.

Jermaine Johnson, Marcus Hicks (unlikely), Maninoa Tufono, Rian Davis, Spencer Lytle, Bru McCoy

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

None of this is anything that hasn't been said 20x times by now... Giles did well last year with the previous regime's D-line recruits. Eventually these misses will come back to haunt him when he's coaching 2020 and beyond.

Never change, satya

giphy.webp

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not to shit on you man, but you’re contradicting yourself.

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You say that like it is a bad thing. We are going to sign a JUCO DE this year and we will sign a couple of big LBs who may end up spinning down.

Jermaine Johnson, Marcus Hicks (unlikely), Maninoa Tufono, Rian Davis, Spencer Lytle, Bru McCoy

The only problem with that list is the guy we may feel the best about ( Davis ) hasn't even visited yet.

I get the Giles bashing on a recruiting board but he does a good job with what he’s got developmentally.  Can’t just function with ace recruiters on staff and no developmental coaches.  I’d cut warehime and mehringer long before Giles.  Giles is one of few coaches that positional group outperformed expectations.  Washington and Orlando were other coaches that outperformed.  Everyone else postion groups underperformed.  

If there’s a recruiting rain maker and a great DL coach lets bring him but who would that be?

If there’s a coach to be just developmental stud it would be the WR coach. Hurts the least given talented WR grow like weeds in Texas.  Hard not to get guys that could do the job if they can learn to run proper routes and actually catch.

Also why missing on Wilson is meh where missing on Leal is “sky is falling” let’s fire Giles.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Giles is good at half his job. 

Sorry if I expect a bit more from someone making 400,000K a year. That’s fucking stupid he can make that much money and be absolutely that shitty at 50% of his job

Hopefully next year we kick warhime to the curb and hire a DT coach to pick up his slack.

51 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

I get the Giles bashing on a recruiting board but he does a good job with what he’s got developmentally.  Can’t just function with ace recruiters on staff and no developmental coaches.  I’d cut warehime and mehringer long before Giles.  Giles is one of few coaches that positional group outperformed expectations.  Washington and Orlando were other coaches that outperformed.  Everyone else postion groups underperformed.  

If there’s a recruiting rain maker and a great DL coach lets bring him but who would that be?

If there’s a coach to be just developmental stud it would be the WR coach. Hurts the least given talented WR grow like weeds in Texas.  Hard not to get guys that could do the job if they can learn to run proper routes and actually catch.

Also why missing on Wilson is meh where missing on Leal is “sky is falling” let’s fire Giles.

Lulz. Thanks for responding to the non-existent Fire Giles crowd. We’ve been saying Tom needs to be quicker to realize his staff’s weaknesses and address them. In this case, it’s have good recruiters help giles out and probaby can one or both of Mehrhime to get a co-DL coach that can recruit lights out. I haven’t seen a single person calling to fire Giles. Dude can coach DL, which is critical but you have to recruit at a high level on the DL.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 1

If his 3 star players  (Hager, omenihu, Nelson) have performed like 4-5 star players, Giles is the least of our worries.  I want more assistant coaches like Giles. Developing players has been our problem the last 7-8 years. 

Edited by Bamboozled73
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Bamboozled73 said:

If his 3 star players  (Hager, omenihu, Nelson) have performed like 4-5 star players, Giles is the least of our worries.  I want more assistant coaches like Giles. Developing players have been our problem the last 7-8 years. 

None of those guys have yet been massive producers. I’m high on their chances to have good years, but you’re getting pretty ahead of yourself at this point.

How much is scheme a factor in the recruitment of these defensive linemen?

I remember back when we took Malcom Brown from aggy because he preferred our 4-3 front to their 3 man front. The DL roles in the 4-3 are considered more attractive to prospects dreaming about the NFL. Now we run a 3 man front that is effective in games yet we seem to lose these battles to 4-3 teams

Edited by cmontexas
  • Like 1