Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I don't normally read them, was just surprised by all freaking out and crying. Guess I shouldn't be. 

latest?cb=20110616173825

Like clockwork, every year, some dipshit comes onto the recruiting forum and proclaims that everyone is a whiner - the telltale sign of a poster who secretly is scared and afraid and tries to project their fears onto others. All I’ve seen on this thread recently are normal thoughts about the recruiting process, save for a few saty posts here and there. This forum is probably too much for you to handle.

Pepperoni says Leal and Richardson has been on aggy campus since yesterday..not sure who the commit visitor could be. Don’t think it’s Coker cause EJ mentioned him later in the article. Ellis? Wilson? Nana? Maybe someone like Kardell Thomas?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Like clockwork, every year, some dipshit comes onto the recruiting forum and proclaims that everyone is a whiner - the telltale sign of a poster who secretly is scared and afraid and tries to project their fears onto others. All I’ve seen on this thread recently are normal thoughts about the recruiting process, save for a few saty posts here and there. This forum is probably too much for you to handle.

Dipshit here again, the only thing I'm scared of is having another team full of highly ranked players shit the bed during the season, for what feels like the 10th year in a row. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Any chance the mystery recruit is EJNO?  If Bragg really is headed to Stanford, wouldn't be surprising if the staff made a major push for him...

That makes the most sense, also explains the secrecy 

58 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't normally read them, was just surprised by all freaking out and crying. Guess I shouldn't be. 

latest?cb=20110616173825

51 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Sure, from the article you linked: 

At this point, it’s important to acknowledge strong recruiting does not guarantee on-field results and that other teams have bucked the elite recruiting trend with sustained success.

Texas, for example, has not finished worse than 17th since 2011 in the 247Sports Composite rankings with four Top 10 classes to its credit. But in that time the Longhorns have compiled a record of 41-35 overall.

The overall macro data doesn't mean dick for us. We need to build the foundation of the program and get the right kind of players 2 win. 

UT is literally the exception to the rule. 

Why don’t you go google the term, “necessary but not sufficient?” No one here is saying good recruiting guarantees winning championships, or even the conference, but it is necessarily to win at the highest levels. The data bears that out over and over. Just because your ignorant of that data doesn’t make it any less true. There will always be outliers on both ends. Texas has been a negative outlier because 1) Mack’s last classes were massively overrated and Charlie squeaked into the top 10 twice but then lost a lot of those guys before they hit campus—and then lost another wave in the coaching change— and 2) its had terrible coaching for almost the entire time span you discussed. 

At some point, Lord willing, Texas will get the coaching part fixed, be it Herman or someone after him. Whenever the coaching gets fixed, those same people who are saying recruiting doesn’t matter and it’s all a crap shoot will absolutely be changing their tune. Recruiting is interesting because it’s the most predictive barometer for measuring the success of your program 3 years down the road. Doesn’t mean it’s always right, but it’s silly and foolish to say it doesn’t matter, especially on a recruiting-specific thread.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You should probably begin work preparing your anus, then.

Why? Show me a loss bruh...

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Why don’t you go google the term, “necessary but not sufficient?” No one here is saying good recruiting guarantees winning championships, or even the conference, but it is necessarily to win at the highest levels. The data bears that out over and over. Just because your ignorant of that data doesn’t make it any less true. There will always be outliers on both ends. Texas has been a negative outlier because 1) Mack’s last classes were massively overrated and Charlie squeaked into the top 10 twice but then lost a lot of those guys before they hit campus—and then lost another wave in the coaching change— and 2) its had terrible coaching for almost the entire time span you discussed. 

At some point, Lord willing, Texas will get the coaching part fixed, be it Herman or someone after him. Whenever the coaching gets fixed, those same people who are saying recruiting doesn’t matter and it’s all a crap shoot will absolutely be changing their tune. Recruiting is interesting because it’s the most predictive barometer for measuring the success of your program 3 years down the road. Doesn’t mean it’s always right, but it’s silly and foolish to say it doesn’t matter, especially on a recruiting-specific thread.

Where did I say it doesn't matter? 

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Where did I say it doesn't matter? 

Literally right here, man. That’s what started this whole thing. If you’re saying NFL teams can’t figure out who’s good, then college coaches with less time and data certainly can’t, which would then render recruiting a completely meaningless “crap shoot.” 

11 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Agreed, this thread is full of whining and bitching when none of us have any idea how these HS players will turn out. The NFL is full of busts, and they have 3-4 years of college data + thousands of hours of analysis by professional scouts. 

Outside of your 5-10 true five stars, this is pretty close to a crap shoot. 

Some players will want to play for Texas, some won't. Great! 

But then you also said this, so you’re clearly struggling with internal coherency.

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

We need to build the foundation of the program and get the right kind of players 2 win. 

So let me get this straight, according to you, it’s  all a “crap shoot” and coaches/NFL scouts can’t figure out who will be good, but we need to “get the right kind of players 2 win.” Ok, bud. 

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Literally right here, man. That’s what started this whole thing. If you’re saying NFL teams can’t figure out who’s good, then college coaches with less time and data certainly can’t, which would then render recruiting a completely meaningless “crap shoot.” 

But then you also said this, so you’re clearly struggling with internal coherency.

So let me get this straight, according to you, it’s  all a “crap shoot” and coaches/NFL scouts can’t figure out who will be good, but we need to “get the right kind of players 2 win.” Ok, bud. 

What's incoherent about that? The right kind of players are ones that fit the system we're trying to run. 

And it is pretty close to a crapshoot in the sense that there are no guarantees outside a few of the best players every year. You might notice the "pretty close" qualifier in my comment. It's important.  

Again, where did I say "recruiting doesn't matter". In fact I said that it does just a few posts ago. 

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Do you need to have a great class regularly to win? Yes, but crying out your vagina every time we don't get a prospect who may or may not pan out,  is just silly. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

And do you think that we are going to be exception to that rule for the forseeable future?

Are you familiar with the Mack Brown bump?

Good recruiting is the foundation for championship teams. It's not the only component, we all know that.

Good recruiting IS THE FOUNDATION FOR CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS.  This....a team is much more apt to win a championship with 4-5* star players than not.  There are always exceptions, but you want the best recruits from the get-go.  Saban does.

" Blue chips are almost 1,000 percent more likely to be drafted in the first round. You can see the star ratings drop throughout the NFL Draft. And five-stars are about 33 times as likely to be All-Americans as two-stars are."

48 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Good recruiting IS THE FOUNDATION FOR CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS.  This....a team is much more apt to win a championship with 4-5* star players than not.  There are always exceptions, but you want the best recruits from the get-go.  Saban does.

" Blue chips are almost 1,000 percent more likely to be drafted in the first round. You can see the star ratings drop throughout the NFL Draft. And five-stars are about 33 times as likely to be All-Americans as two-stars are."

I'd like to see how the 3 stars at Alabama and tOSU perform compared to the 5 stars and 4 stars at the same school. I have a feeling that our 3 stars from last year and this year will do very well.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I'd like to see how the 3 stars at Alabama and tOSU perform compared to the 5 stars and 4 stars at the same school. I have a feeling that our 3 stars from last year and this year will do very well.

That’s cool and all but there’s a reason our staff only took (excluding kickers) 6/25 3 stars and why Saban doesn’t take many either. 4 and 5 stars are generally better.  You don’t have to look at how the 3 stars there perform. Just look at who Saban and meyer generally recruit. It ain’t a bunch of 3 stars. Also, have you thought that maybe, just maybe, the select few 3 stars who Bama and tOSU take are outliers and probably underrated for whatever reason? 

19 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

That’s cool and all but there’s a reason our staff only took (excluding kickers) 6/25 3 stars and why Saban doesn’t take many either. 4 and 5 stars are generally better.  You don’t have to look at how the 3 stars there perform. Just look at who Saban and meyer generally recruit. It ain’t a bunch of 3 stars. Also, have you thought that maybe, just maybe, the select few 3 stars who Bama and tOSU take are outliers and probably underrated for whatever reason? 

I think that is exactly what he is suggesting. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TommyGufano

3 hours ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

From EJ:

— Five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders is in Dallas visiting family and told me that he is planning to make a visit to Texas in the next few days. Sanders is still very high on Texas and has a strong relationship with Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton. Sanders is also high on schools like Alabama Florida and Georgia and wants to make his decision late in the process.

— There is a report out that a target committed elsewhere is making his way to campus this weekend. Yes, we know who it is but won’t disclose the name until he actually shows up in Austin. Right now, travel plans are still being worked out. The target does hold a Texas offer and is a prospect that I’m really high on.

— Four-star offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd expressed his displeasure with recruiting media today after numerous reports about his potential visit to Texas A&M. Shepherd did not make it to College Station today, and we don’t expect him to make it tomorrow. We do, however, expect him to make it to Austin next weekend. We are continuing to heard that Texas is in a very good spot with him.

— Texas has been in contact with TCU offensive line commit Andrew Coker, and there does appear to be some interest there — remember, Texas offered Coker during the spring evaluation period. Coker has reshaped his body this offseason and is a very intriguing prospect.

Odds the committed target is one of Demani or Leal? Agreed that if it's Caldwell it wouldn't be under the wraps, unless he's planning a flip today.

It's not caldwell he's coming in Tuesday 

3 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Sure, from the article you linked: 

At this point, it’s important to acknowledge strong recruiting does not guarantee on-field results and that other teams have bucked the elite recruiting trend with sustained success.

Texas, for example, has not finished worse than 17th since 2011 in the 247Sports Composite rankings with four Top 10 classes to its credit. But in that time the Longhorns have compiled a record of 41-35 overall.

The overall macro data doesn't mean dick for us. We need to build the foundation of the program and get the right kind of players 2 win. 

UT is literally the exception to the rule. 

Wrong we finished 25th in '17

22 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I don’t think so since he said the 3 stars from our 2018 class will do very well, that wouldn’t make a ton of sense, but who knows. 

He’s trying to say that herman evaluates well like saban, so he expects our 3 star guys to overperform their ranking like he thinks Bamas do.