Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

E.J. Holland: LA satellite camp a special homecoming for Herman

Tom Herman had a smile from ear to ear when he entered the new football facility at Cal Lutheran. Herman is arguably one of the most successful alums in Cal Lutheran history. As he walked around the field during Texas’ satellite camp on Friday, high school coaches, former teammates and Cal Lutheran employees all wanted to get in some face time with ‘the man who built this.’ It was a homecoming that Herman will cherish for years to come. “It’s really cool,” Herman said. “It’s been seven or eight years since I’ve been back. Obviously, this facility is as good as any I’ve seen at a DIII school. I have a lot of memories from this place even though it looks a lot different than it did 20 years ago. It’s really cool to come back.”

Cal Lutheran, which is nestled in the northwestern part of Greater Los Angeles around beautiful Simi Valley, is a small, private school that has a fun secret — it’s a breeding ground for football coaches. From Herman to Dave Aranda to Rod Marinelli, the DIII program consistently churns out some of the best football minds in America. Herman played wide receiver for Cal Lutheran in the middle of the 90s and also doubled as the announcer for basketball games on campus. While he didn’t go the broadcast journalism or football player route, Cal Lutheran helped Herman find his true calling.

“I wasn’t very good as a player,” Herman said with a laugh. “I think I was all-conference here one year. After that, my knees started to go bad. But I fell in love with football here. That’s for sure.” Shortly after graduation, Herman, who actually had a whopping 13 knee surgeries, began his coaching career at Texas Lutheran, where he served as the program’s wide receivers coach for a year. With some experience under his belt, Herman accepted a graduate assistant position at the University of Texas.

A little more than 15 years later, Herman is back in Austin as the head coach of one of the most prestigious programs in the country. In first year at Texas, Herman commanded the Longhorns their first winning record since 2013 and first bowl win since 2012. While Herman is focused on leading a revolution on the Forty Acres, he will always stay true to his recruits and never forget what got him to where he is today. “I help out (Cal Lutheran) when I can,” Herman said. “Last year, I bought the headsets for the coaches. Michelle and I will help out again this year. I think we’re helping with travel sweats. I’m always going to give back.”

4 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Why don’t you go google the term, “necessary but not sufficient?” No one here is saying good recruiting guarantees winning championships, or even the conference, but it is necessarily to win at the highest levels. The data bears that out over and over. Just because your ignorant of that data doesn’t make it any less true. There will always be outliers on both ends. Texas has been a negative outlier because 1) Mack’s last classes were massively overrated and Charlie squeaked into the top 10 twice but then lost a lot of those guys before they hit campus—and then lost another wave in the coaching change— and 2) its had terrible coaching for almost the entire time span you discussed. 

At some point, Lord willing, Texas will get the coaching part fixed, be it Herman or someone after him. Whenever the coaching gets fixed, those same people who are saying recruiting doesn’t matter and it’s all a crap shoot will absolutely be changing their tune. Recruiting is interesting because it’s the most predictive barometer for measuring the success of your program 3 years down the road. Doesn’t mean it’s always right, but it’s silly and foolish to say it doesn’t matter, especially on a recruiting-specific thread.

Lighten up Francis

11 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It is a mystery.  The 9.95ers have no idea who is on campus.  

but they do know the inner workings of a 16 year old's decision making process.. particularly a 16 year old that has no idea where he wants to attend college.. these guys though 

not only do they know which college is "surging," they can place an ordinal qualifier on their own "prediction"... right down to a percentile a chance. 

hell of a gig, if you can get it. 

Edited by TtomTerrific

E.J. Holland: Why Texas is making California a top recruiting priority

Texas is making the state of California a priority this cycle. Horns247's EJ Holland breaks down why the Longhorns have been having success to West this cycle. Here are some bullet points from his video.

-- Why Texas is recruiting California hard

-- Tom Herman's thoughts on recruiting California

-- Thoughts on commit De'Gabriel Floyd

-- Where Texas stands with remaining targets in California

VIDEO LINK

E.J. Holland: Nation's top RB visiting Texas today

Texas is hosting a huge recruit this weekend. Horns247 has learned that five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders is in Austin and will be making an unofficial visit to Texas today. Sanders was previously committed to Alabama but backed out of his verbal pledge earlier this offseason. Along with Texas, Sanders holds offers from Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Texas A&M and a number of other major programs. At 5-foot-11, 216 pounds, Sanders is ranked as the No. 1 running back and No. 7 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Justin Wells: Quick Recruiting Notes... 6/9/18

As we learned last night, IMG 5* RB Trey Sanders was in the Lone Star state visiting family in the Dallas area, and that there was a good chance he visited Texas this weekend.  Well, he’s taking an UOV today. It’s always good to get the nation’s top tailback on campus, but UT has its work cut out for them. Alabama is the safe bet here.  He was supposed to be accompanied by ‘19 FM Marcus LB, LSU commit Marcel Brooks, but the 4-Star from DFW won’t be able to make it.  I don’t think the Horns staff is pushing for Brooks, just keeping tabs on him as we’re under seven months from NSD 1. And this still potentially won’t top next weekend’s visitors. Shepherd, Card, Cooper, Davis, Cine, and Washington look to be set. I think you can expect more.

Just now, Machinator said:

Good news: Trey Sanders is on campus.

Bad news: The secret visitor won't make it. That visitor: Marcel Brooks.

The mystery recruit never makes it in. That's what is so awesome about the mystery recruit. Something always falls though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Good news: Trey Sanders is on campus.

Bad news: The secret visitor won't make it. That visitor: Marcel Brooks.

Tell me which sites were touting this and I will tell you which sites have zero connections to the program. They are only getting info from the staff as pawns. Seriously, list them out and it will be a good data point for all of us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tell me which sites were touting this and I will tell you which sites have zero connections to the program. They are only getting info from the staff as pawns. Seriously, list them out and it will be a good data point for all of us. 

IT and 247. TFB remains silent after starting this whole thing.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Justin Wells IT for one. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Does getting info from the coaching staff not count as having connections to the program?

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If that's the only place you're getting info, then you only know what the coaches want you to know. 

Well, IT will constantly bring up that the staff "feels confident" about a certain recruit. Something I don't see Horns247 or TFB do nearly as often. So it's possible.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Well, IT will constantly bring up that the staff "feels confident" about a certain recruit. Something I don't see Horns247 or TFB do nearly as often. So it's possible.

Depends on who their staff source is. I doubt it's one of the main coaches. Could be a GA or some other assistant who isn't cognizant of the big picture.

Of course, it's quite possible that the staff feels confident about a recruit and they're just off. Herman and co definitely have been overconfident about certain aspects of the program in their 18 months in Austin.

6 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Trey Sanders is the one ridiculous long shot that I'm going to hold out hope for until signing day. He's my Waddle.

Ask FutureMan. He’s nails on this stuff...

And, if he ever gives you lottery numbers...you bet the farm. Unless you’re a farmer, of course.