Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I remember when SydneyCarton was in his mid-20’s and came to work one day bragging to the rest of us that he’d purchased a Lexus.  I’m not a car guy and don’t pay any attention to them but I knew enough to know that a Lexus was above this cat’s pay grade. Right?

Wrong. I’m in the parking garage a few days later and I see this 6’3”+ mongrel trying to climb out of this tiny, bright purple, rice burner of a car. It looked like a tricked out Corolla. I am fairly certain he’d stolen some Lexus insignia and had it drilled into his car. Anyway, that’s when I figured out that someone “owning a Mercedes” or what have you could mean a wide range of things. 

I am just glad that I spent my first years out of college working in New York where poor analysts pretending to have more money than they did simply overspent at bars instead of having a tangible object like a car to remind people of how ridiculous their fiscal choices were. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Did anybody say that we are leading? 

TFB. Could be nothing, but it's somewhat interesting because 1) this report came out this week, and then just a few days later Houston announces a decision coming in the near future and 2) TFB comes from an OU site, so you would think they have fairly robust sources from within the state of Oklahoma.

Edited by Machinator

Mike Roach: Takeaways from watching UT commits at Texas 7on7 Championships

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — The Texas 7on7 Championships in College Station gave us the opportunity to evaluate several players up close. That list included Texas commits Hudson Card and Jared Wiley. Card had a surgical summer day en-route to the championship rounds. He looked mechanically sound in his arm action, and he threw with a good base and on balance. Card routinely threw into tight windows with plenty of zip, and he made good decisions throughout the day.

What I wanted to see most from Card was if he could throw with timing and anticipation. Not only did he do it, I thought that was his best trait on the day. In the 7-on-7 format, quarterbacks only have four seconds to get the pass off before the play is dead. In a four second span, the windows are tighter, but Card anticipated well and kept a calm head in the pocket before releasing passes with laser-like accuracy.

I also had some initial concerns about his arm strength, but he showed no problems getting the ball downfield to find deep targets. Card’s mechanics have improved tremendously from when we saw him play quarterback during last season’s state championship game. At this point, he looks further along as a fundamental passer than current 2019 Texas commit Roschon Johnson. The only negative traits I noticed were a long windup that could be cut down, and a willingness to hold on to the ball too long in order to make a play. Fortunately for Card, he will receive some outstanding coaching at Lake Travis, and he has the running ability to make plays if there isn’t a receiver open when the pads come on.

Like Card, Wiley also played quarterback throughout the day. This made for an incomplete evaluation of him, but I was able to pick up a few things. Wiley has one of the strongest arms in the state at quarterback, and he was able to throw with strong accuracy. Overall, he’s a strong athlete which could make him an intriguing weapon once he learns the position of tight end. From a frame standpoint, Wiley has everything you’d want for a tight end prospect. He also showed off some strong leadership skills, and he proved that he’s a team player by accepting any role his team needed him to play.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder if Wiley may get some offers as a QB during the season.

He's a pitcher in baseball and they don't have a competent backup qb or he would be getting reps at TE. If he gets offered at qb it would be from fcs schools 

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Can you explain what him being a pitcher has to do with the rest of your statement?

Being a pitcher makes him a logical qb. Guess you've never been taught logic or reasoning. He's a good hs qb but not one that's going to garner p5 offers

Just now, utfan87 said:

Being a pitcher makes him a logical qb. Guess you've never been taught logic or reasoning. He's a good hs qb but not one that's going to garner p5 offers

Your logic didn’t support the rest of the statement, since any competent QB could replace him. That would make him an incompetent QB, regardless of him being a pitcher.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

It does make since when College Football becomes Baseball, err Football, err Basefootball. utfan, your way ahead of the game.

TFB on Houston:

[Demaryion] is considering all 7 schools. They are Texas, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Minnesota.

If Texas wants to take him, I think he’s a Longhorn on July 7th. And I personally hope they do take him. He’s one of the smoothest WR’s I’ve seen this cycle. He’s only around 6′ or 6’1 but I think he could play inside or outside.

3 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Yeah that's why Tim Tebow is a pitcher.

Wow you just confirmed my whole theory of you not understanding logic because if you did you would know that just because A=B does not mean that B=A. A being a pitcher makes you B a qb but being B a qb does not make A you a pitcher.  

2 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Wow you just confirmed my whole theory of you not understanding logic because if you did you would know that just because A=B does not mean that B=A. A being a pitcher makes you B a qb but being B a qb does not make A you a pitcher.  

Image result for i have no idea what I'm doing space dog

• Like 6

4 hours ago, utfan87 said:

You didn’t do well in algebra, did you?

6 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I am pretty sure there was a better way of saying that. 

• Like 1

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: Texas recruiting scoop from Day 1

FRISCO, Texas — Four-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cainchecked in at The Opening today, so we didn’t get to talk to him. However, we spoke to a source close to his recruitment that said Cain and his mother had a productive conversation with Texas head coach Tom Herman this week. We are also told that the Cain family continued to hammer home their main concern with UT — offensive line play. Remember, Cain is not going to make a decision until December, so it is imperative for Texas to get better up front and win some games. Texas is still high on Cain’s list, but he is also very interested in LSU, Penn State, Georgia and a couple of others.

— Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy was all smiles when talking about Texas today. McCoy told me that he has built a great relationship with the UT staff and is very excited about getting back down to Austin for his official visit on September 15 when the Longhorns take on USC — yes, that is going to be a monster recruiting weekend for Texas. McCoy added that Texas commit and friend De’Gabriel Floyd recruits him every single day. While USC appears to have the lead, Texas is certainly making things interesting.

— Fast-rising wide receiver Jaylen Ellis remains committed to Baylor, but he is still continuing to weigh all his options. In fact, Ellis is going to make all of his official visits and will not shut things down until late in the process. Texas recently offered Ellis, and the Longhorns remain in his top group. Ellis said he has a solid relationship with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer and hopes to get back on campus for a visit after the dead period. If Texas makes a strong push this fall, it could be enough to get him onboard.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Mycah Pittman earlier this offseason. Mehringer has been in contact with Pittman and is trying to convince him to make a visit. However, there isn’t much here. Pittman told me he felt like the offer came a bit too late and added that he is close to making a decision. Oregon seems like the most likely landing destination.

— Texas is still looking for outside wide receivers, and it appears the Longhorns are circling back to four-star Mater Dei (Calif.) wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon. He made a commitment to Colorado last month but visited Texas in the spring and told me he is still hopeful an offer will come his way. Huffman-Dixon said Mehringer reached out a couple of days ago and is eager to have a conversation with him at some point this coming week.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange4Life said:

Let me give this a shot.

All border collies are dogs, but not all dogs are border collies.

Is that what he's trying to say?

Yes. Also, all pitchers are QBs, but not all QBs are pitchers. Some are just chuckers. This would indicate that it’s more difficult to be a pitcher but at the same time, being a competent pitcher doesn’t make you a competent QB.

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: Texas recruiting scoop from Day 1

Reveal hidden contents

FRISCO, Texas — Four-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cainchecked in at The Opening today, so we didn’t get to talk to him. However, we spoke to a source close to his recruitment that said Cain and his mother had a productive conversation with Texas head coach Tom Herman this week. We are also told that the Cain family continued to hammer home their main concern with UT — offensive line play. Remember, Cain is not going to make a decision until December, so it is imperative for Texas to get better up front and win some games. Texas is still high on Cain’s list, but he is also very interested in LSU, Penn State, Georgia and a couple of others.

— Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy was all smiles when talking about Texas today. McCoy told me that he has built a great relationship with the UT staff and is very excited about getting back down to Austin for his official visit on September 15 when the Longhorns take on USC — yes, that is going to be a monster recruiting weekend for Texas. McCoy added that Texas commit and friend De’Gabriel Floyd recruits him every single day. While USC appears to have the lead, Texas is certainly making things interesting.

— Fast-rising wide receiver Jaylen Ellis remains committed to Baylor, but he is still continuing to weigh all his options. In fact, Ellis is going to make all of his official visits and will not shut things down until late in the process. Texas recently offered Ellis, and the Longhorns remain in his top group. Ellis said he has a solid relationship with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer and hopes to get back on campus for a visit after the dead period. If Texas makes a strong push this fall, it could be enough to get him onboard.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Mycah Pittman earlier this offseason. Mehringer has been in contact with Pittman and is trying to convince him to make a visit. However, there isn’t much here. Pittman told me he felt like the offer came a bit too late and added that he is close to making a decision. Oregon seems like the most likely landing destination.

— Texas is still looking for outside wide receivers, and it appears the Longhorns are circling back to four-star Mater Dei (Calif.) wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon. He made a commitment to Colorado last month but visited Texas in the spring and told me he is still hopeful an offer will come his way. Huffman-Dixon said Mehringer reached out a couple of days ago and is eager to have a conversation with him at some point this coming week.

Reveal hidden contents

Regarding Cain, it appears his other choices may not present him with good options to shine:

1. Georgia - Based on Cain's comments he wants strong OL play, he'd get it at UGA for sure, but he'll likely have to sit behind Zamir White for 3 years.  White was the nation's top RB last year.  

2. LSU - I expect them to under perform under Ed O.   Plus Emery Jr has a good chance to end up there.

3. Penn St - Distance has to be a factor, plus the fact that Ricky Slade (5 star RB) committed there last year, and they already have a 4 star back committed this year.

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Yes. Also, all pitchers are QBs, but not all QBs are pitchers. Some are just chuckers. This would indicate that it’s more difficult to be a pitcher but at the same time, being a competent pitcher doesn’t make you a competent QB.

I think this is like saying all mudders are horses but not all horses are mudders. Am I right?

6 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Regarding Cain, it appears his other choices may not present him with good options to shine:

1. Georgia - Based on Cain's comments he wants strong OL play, he'd get it at UGA for sure, but he'll likely have to sit behind Zamir White for 3 years.  White was the nation's top RB last year.  

2. LSU - I expect them to under perform under Ed O.   Plus Emery Jr has a good chance to end up there.

3. Penn St - Distance has to be a factor, plus the fact that Ricky Slade (5 star RB) committed there last year, and they already have a 4 star back committed this year.

Yeah but how many of those guys can pitch a baseball?