Texas recruiting notes 2019

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’m so used to being west of the Central Time Zone that I wa preparing myself for bad news when I opened this thread after not seein a personalized Washington thread in the first 10 recruiting threads. 

I now see that we still have 50 minutes to go. Pheww...

https://www.ksdk.com/live-video

• Like 1

Know folks did not like some of my questions about what Stan Drayton has helped with on recruiting.  So I'm eating some crow, and glad to do it...... Drayton along with Carrington helped land Washington...... (See below) 

"Texas and particularly Stan Drayton have been putting in a lot of work to get their foot in the door in the St. Louis area, and their efforts may finally be paying dividends. The Longhorns managed to land linebacker Ayodele Adeoye during the last recruiting cycle, and went a little further out and landed defensive end Daniel Carson as well. Drayton also dropped off a stack of offers at local powerhouse Trinity Catholic — the home of new Longhorn commit Marcus Washington.

Washington was one of four players at Trinity Catholic to be extended an offer from Texas last year along Mookie Cooper, Shammond Cooper, and Isaiah Williams. While Williams is committed to Illinois and never really considered Texas, both Mookie and Shammond are still heavily considering Texas. Washington recently took an official visit to Texas for the USC game, and both he and his father came away raving about the Longhorns.

At one point it looked like Washington was going to stay zzcloser to home and side with either Ohio State or the home team Missouri Tigers, but the Longhorns did a great job recruiting him and managed to seal the deal when they got him on campus."

Player Information

Name: Marcus Washington

Position: WR, SS

High School: Trinity Catholic

City & State: St. Louis, MO

Measurables

Height: 6’2

Weight:  191

40-yard: 4.75

Shuttle: 4.28

Vertical: 32"

Statistics

2015: 35 rec, 583 yards (16.6 YPC), 8 TDs

2016: 33 rec, 676 yards (20.48 YPC), 13 TDs, 6 INTs

2017: N/A

(Not sure why no 2017 or 2018 numbers included)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Is that 4.75 40 number real? He looks faster than that on film.

May be old or wrong.

IT wrote:

Coach says: Strengths - Good height. Nicely built athlete with strong arms. Fluid athlete with a long stride. Featured at X, slot and Z. Good acceleration off the line and shows fluid hips. Does not lose speed on change of direction. Good routes to all levels. Stays balanced in and out of his cuts. Excellent sale of the double moves. Gets open and finds soft spots in zones. A matchup problem for most of his opponents. Good soft hands and catches ball away from his body. Adjusts reasonably well to poor throws. Good leaping ability. Tracks ball well. Could not find measurables online but looks like he has above average to elite deep speed; I would be surprised if he was slower than a 4.4. Appears to have some elusiveness in open field and enough of a second gear to run away from people. Athleticism and speed probably make him a threat from anywhere. Vertical should be very good too. Dominant on jump balls and fades at times. Nice work on scrambles to help his QB. Defensive film shows a playmaker who’s either going for the interception or the strip. Areas for Improvement/Concern – Not certain about his boundary awareness. Carries the ball away from his body so I would expect a few fumbles in college if that isn’t coached up. Level of competition is a concern as his team has had several D-I athletes and appears to have dominated their schedule.