Texas recruiting notes 2019

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Might have been the 40 he ran with the hamstring injury that resulted in Barton dropping him to a mid 3*.

It was a hip-flexor and he hardly participated at the Opening Finals due to it, but Barton was already dropping him by that point. In one of his summer writeups, he posted how Washington didn't look explosive enough to justify his rating at Nike Opening camp... a camp where he won WR MVP. They dropped him from the #9 WR in the country to the #5 WR... in Missouri

2 hours ago, Fud said:

It was a hip-flexor and he hardly participated at the Opening Finals due to it, but Barton was already dropping him by that point. In one of his summer writeups, he posted how Washington didn't look explosive enough to justify his rating at Nike Opening camp... a camp where he won WR MVP. They dropped him from the #9 WR in the country to the #5 WR... in Missouri

Do you even Yale bro? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Early in the game, but Clay's Clown Show looks like garbage against Herm's squad and the USC stadium looks about 1/3 full.

Came to say this. Surely a loss here would push Bru to the good guys. Even if they do fire Helton, it's hard to see how a brand new coach with likely no existing relationship would be able to land Bru. 

We don’t have the DL to win championships. We need more size, and numbers, in our recruiting classes, on both DL and OL. I know we are late evaluating players on purpose, but I’m concerned we aren’t taking enough numbers on the lines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

We don’t have the DL to win championships. We need more size, and numbers, in our recruiting classes, on both DL and OL. I know we are late evaluating players on purpose, but I’m concerned we aren’t taking enough numbers on the lines.

I actually think offensive competence is what’s holding us back. We need to push the boulder over the hill and get from mediocre to above average so we can better trade blows with our conference foes. Once we can do that a little better, our defense can be put in more advantageous situations. I actually think with the skill players Herman has been recruiting, that is a more practical path to success. Not that I don’t want elite lineman, I do. I just feel like styles make fights, and playing in the Big 12 means we need more explosive players on offense. 

Our OL is still the worst position group on the field at Texas. That wasn't going to change in one full season under Herman. I don't understand why Kerstetter was benched, maybe he can still get a RS. Anderson is fine in pass pro, but he's not a overly effective run blocker, Vahe is consistently below average, Shackelford is slightly better than Vahe, while Rodriguez would be better served at center. Cosmi is really the only guy that gets a lot of playing time that consistently plays at a level conducive to winning championships.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Our OL is still the worst position group on the field at Texas. That wasn't going to change in one full season under Herman. I don't understand why Kerstetter was benched, maybe he can still get a RS. Anderson is fine in pass pro, but he's not a overly effective run blocker, Vahe is consistently below average, Shackelford is slightly better than Vahe, while Rodriguez would be better served at center. Cosmi is really the only guy that gets a lot of playing time that consistently plays at a level conducive to winning championships.

I know the actual player is important, but do you think coordinator continuity will start to pay dividends soon? That has to be a huge factor in our OLine failures recently. They can’t all be duds, right. Right?!?!??!

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I know the actual player is important, but do you think coordinator continuity will start to pay dividends soon? That has to be a huge factor in our OLine failures recently. They can’t all be duds, right. Right?!?!??!

Yes, Hand is the best OL coach Texas has had in a decade and that should help moving forward. It also helps that the Texas is RS'ing 5 OL this year.

Yesterday was a huge opportunity to gain recruiting momentum over A&M, what with their loss to MSU and the upcoming release of the CFP rankings. Frustrating to watch us bungle it especially with the remainder of our schedule looming.

9 wins or more (which gets us a spot in the Alamo Bowl at leaat) would be great to sell heading into 2019/2020.