Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I think it's way more likely that we retain Warehime and don't renew Mehringer's contract than that we don't retain Warehime but keep Mehringer.

I also think it's possible that a coach leaves that we're all banking on being around (Drayton?  Washington?).

In any event, assuming it's true that Herman has been calling plays since after the Maryland or Tulsa games (and knowing that he doesn't want to be calling plays), here are the coaches I think are locks to return, if they want to come back (ranked in order of job security):

• Orlando
  • Hand
  • Naivar
  • Drayton
  • Washington
  • Meekins

Here are the coaches that are think are not stone-cold locks to return, even if they want to (ranked in order of most likely to be gone after this year).

• Mehringer
  • Warehime
  • Beck (I think the most likely scenario is that he gets asked to move position groups.  If he agrees to do so, I think you put him high up on the job security list.  If not, I think he'll try to go searching for greener pastures).
  • Giles

Giles is coming back we won't be that lucking and if Giles is coming back Warehime or Mehringer needs to get the boot so we can hire another DL/DE coach to help Giles worthless ass on the recruiting trail.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Out of curiosity - why do you think Mehringer is more likely to go than Warehime?  Warehime was moved out of his hired position and is overseeing a position group that has basically had one contrbuting player - a 5th year Senior.  Mehringer's position group has looked pretty good this year and has even had some contributions from freshmen.  

It makes more sense to me, if you're only getting rid of one, that you send Warehime packing. Then move Meekins back to TE, and hire a DT/DE coach to help Giles in recruiting. 

Mehringer's position group last year was one of our worst performing groups on the entire team.  Couple that with the fact that they stayed, basically, healthy the whole year and think about what that means for him as a position coach.  I don't see why you'd move Meekins back away from coaching WRs after this year, with the job he's done there, unless you're replacing coach Meh with a competent coach and recruiter.  The returns on Mehringer as a recruiter and coach have been really poor.  He basically adds nothing to the equation.

Warehime's position group this year has done very well in the running and passing game, and he's taken care of his own business on the recruiting trail (although he hasn't been a rainmaker, which is something you want out of your TE coach).

I think neither is likely to return.  But I think Mehringer has been a dead man walking for about a year now.

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Giles is coming back we won't be that lucking and if Giles is coming back Warehime or Mehringer needs to get the boot so we can hire another DL/DE coach to help Giles worthless ass on the recruiting trail.

I put him as the "least likely" coach in my "might not return" category.  I agree that he's coming back.  But I don't think he's completely safe--especially if Herman or Orlando think they can replace him with a rainmaker recruiter and hell of a coach (candidly, I'm not sure who that would be, off the top of my head).

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I think it's way more likely that we retain Warehime and don't renew Mehringer's contract than that we don't retain Warehime but keep Mehringer.

I also think it's possible that a coach leaves that we're all banking on being around (Drayton?  Washington?).

In any event, assuming it's true that Herman has been calling plays since after the Maryland or Tulsa games (and knowing that he doesn't want to be calling plays), here are the coaches I think are locks to return, if they want to come back (ranked in order of job security):

• Orlando
  • Hand
  • Naivar
  • Drayton
  • Washington
  • Meekins

Here are the coaches that are think are not stone-cold locks to return, even if they want to (ranked in order of most likely to be gone after this year).

• Mehringer
  • Warehime
  • Beck (I think the most likely scenario is that he gets asked to move position groups.  If he agrees to do so, I think you put him high up on the job security list.  If not, I think he'll try to go searching for greener pastures).
  • Giles

These lists are another reason why I don't think Herman goes looking for an Air Raid guy at the end of the year--at least not an "established" one.  An Air Raid coach would want to bring a whole bunch of coaches with him to install his system.  I don't think Herman will agree to that.  Instead, I think it's way more likely Herman tries to take a shot at a guy like Phil Longo, and see if he can get CDC to agree to open up the checkbook to money whip him to come to Texas.  If not, I think he tries to do some searching for the offensive coordinator version of Todd Orlando--a small or smaller school coordinator who has had successes with lower-ranked athletes that may be getting overlooked by big time programs.  Maybe someone like:

• Brian Wright at Toledo (I've mentioned him a few times.  I think he's a perfect schematic fit for Herman.)
  • Tim Albin at Ohio (have him focus on "fixing" the rushing attack and marry Herman's pass concepts into his scheme.)
  • Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina

But maybe Herman goes after Graham Harrell at North Texas and tells him to come in and marry Harrell's system to Herman's power spread mindset?

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Our yards per play ranking is #76, points per play is 51st, offensive S&P+ ranking is 47th, and offensive FEI is 38th

Sam's development has been good, but the offense as a whole hasn't 

I would say that the offense is missing explosive players and more consistent run blocking from the OL.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

These lists are another reason why I don't think Herman goes looking for an Air Raid guy at the end of the year--at least not an "established" one.  An Air Raid coach would want to bring a whole bunch of coaches with him to install his system.  I don't think Herman will agree to that.  Instead, I think it's way more likely Herman tries to take a shot at a guy like Phil Longo, and see if he can get CDC to agree to open up the checkbook to money whip him to come to Texas.  If not, I think he tries to do some searching for the offensive coordinator version of Todd Orlando--a small or smaller school coordinator who has had successes with lower-ranked athletes that may be getting overlooked by big time programs.  Maybe someone like:

• Brian Wright at Toledo (I've mentioned him a few times.  I think he's a perfect schematic fit for Herman.)
  • Tim Albin at Ohio (have him focus on "fixing" the rushing attack and marry Herman's pass concepts into his scheme.)

But maybe Herman goes after Graham Harrell at North Texas and tells him to come in and marry Harrell's system to Herman's power spread mindset?

Longo would be a dream hire.  He turned SHSU's offense into a juggernaut and was a top recruiter for them.  I hope Herman reaches out to him to gauge his interest. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Longo would be a dream hire.  He turned SHSU's offense into a juggernaut and was a top recruiter for them.  I hope Herman reaches out to him to gauge his interest. 

Yep, and he would've been a dream hire two years ago when he was super attainable and his name was already being tossed around as the next big thing.  It's a shame we didn't go after him then.

25 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I kind of think we have been recruiting to more of an air raid offense with all of these receivers. It looks like we are recruiting two types of slots (Smith/D'shawn/Moore for the quicker small ones, and a bigger one to fit LJ's role -- McCoy or Higgins) and all of the other guys for the outside receivers. Not to mention our tight end recruits lately have all looked to have better hands and route running than blocking. I think we will be seeing a lot more four and five wide sets in the next few years, so Herman might be looking at changing up his offensive philosophy. The fact is that the air raid is a lot more suited to this conference than his power spread. 

It's a gamble, and this is entirely speculation, but I think the dominos are falling in place to implement a more air raid offense if/when he makes his changes next year.

49 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I kind of think we have been recruiting to more of an air raid offense with all of these receivers. It looks like we are recruiting two types of slots (Smith/D'shawn/Moore for the quicker small ones, and a bigger one to fit LJ's role -- McCoy or Higgins) and all of the other guys for the outside receivers. Not to mention our tight end recruits lately have all looked to have better hands and route running than blocking. I think we will be seeing a lot more four and five wide sets in the next few years, so Herman might be looking at changing up his offensive philosophy. The fact is that the air raid is a lot more suited to this conference than his power spread. 

It's a gamble, and this is entirely speculation, but I think the dominos are falling in place to implement a more air raid offense if/when he makes his changes next year.

Highly doubtful, being physical and power runs are pretty much the backbone of Herman's offensive philosophy.

Can't wait to see what we are rolling out when Herman has an OL depth chart full of his guys.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Highly doubtful, being physical and power runs are pretty much the backbone of Herman's offensive philosophy.

Can't wait to see what we are rolling out when Herman has an OL depth chart full of his guys.

I would take it a bit further and say an entire roster full of his guys.

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Agree, but IMO the main thing holding us back right now is OL play.

It definitely is. I was referring to the player discipline issues - might have actually won last game if Kobe Boyce didn't need to be trotted out (gave up 17 points in 1st quarter and 21 points in the rest of the game). And no, I'm not suggesting that Tom Herman shouldn't have disciplined the offending players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think the defense is fine, just need to stay focused. Worried about next year at the LB spot.  Hoping Gabriel is everything his rankings and HUDL show.  Good to know he's an EE too.

We've got multiple players on defense with physical and/or mental limitations that jeopardize the integrity of the defense on every down.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think the defense is fine, just need to stay focused. Worried about next year at the LB spot.  Hoping Gabriel is everything his rankings and HUDL show.  Good to know he's an EE too.

I’m not sure how LB play could get worse. Spread teams have pretty much murdered Wheeler. He’s up there for worst starting LB we’ve had over the last 10-15 years.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

He has been okay, but the offense is still limited by his lack of speed and quickness. If the defense has to spy the QB, it leaves everything else open.

Replace Sam with just ok QB play, and we'd have a couple more losses 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I would say that the offense is missing explosive players and more consistent run blocking from the OL.

Interesting quote about TEXAS passing offense by Coach V.....

"Maybe it’s just me but I have a hard time finding the separation needed with our guys at times but our opponents somehow find a way to evade our coverages too damn often. It must be noted that we make more catches in traffic so I guess it all evens out in the long run. It sure would be nice to see us get a few more gimme’s though."

19 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I’m not sure how LB play could get worse. Spread teams have pretty much murdered Wheeler. He’s up there for worst starting LB we’ve had over the last 10-15 years.

End of B12 Season last year when the Texas Defense improved, both Wheeler and Locke were on the bench.

As they continue to flip this Roster, Orlando's Defense might not be very good until late 2019 Season or 2020....

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

More worried about pass defense as a whole than LB. There will be a drop-off from losing a stud like Gary but we have guys who have some experience and certainly talent. We have Roach coming back (although I am with the majority in saying he should play D-line), Mccullogh is certainly capable and I am optimistic that we can find a few more solid players out of Floyd, Dele, Ossai and hopefully Caleb Johnson. Not feeling great about our pass defense as we lose our top 2 pass rushers off of a weak pass rushing defense as is (Hager and Omenihu) and don't have any guys on the roster or coming in who seem capable of being elite pass rushers. As shown on Saturday our backup corners look weak. Not sure why Jalen Green doesn't get any PT but that's obviously not a good sign with how bad Boyce has been. I expect some growing pains for Cook, and Foster and Jones are better as run stoppers than they are in coverage. Also not confident with Thompson at Nickel I think he has looked bad in coverage. If we can't get a pass rush next year I don't see our secondary being able to stick with some of the WR's we'll be going up against. Thankfully we won't be going against Grier or Kyler, and will have Caden playing center field, and will see what Overshown can do in pass defense. Don't see any freshman playing in the secondary next year either.

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting quote about TEXAS passing offense by Coach V.....

"Maybe it’s just me but I have a hard time finding the separation needed with our guys at times but our opponents somehow find a way to evade our coverages too damn often. It must be noted that we make more catches in traffic so I guess it all evens out in the long run. It sure would be nice to see us get a few more gimme’s though."

Our two best receivers aren't burners - they're big/physical WCO style receivers who are going to make contested catches and fight for the ball in traffic.  Those aren't the type of guys who are generally going to take a short pass 80 yards.  Herman has talked about our lack of team speed on offense.  Its one reason why recruiting guys like Jake Smith (2019_ and Brennan Eagles (2018) is so important.

• Like 2

I think it’s always a great idea to tweak schemes but more or less I hope they continue to build on this.  There’s no fucking secret to a good football team.  Start RS JRs and SRs that have been in a good strength and conditioning program for 2-3 years and hammer your scheme/concepts into their brains via repetition In practice during their early years.  We used to be in this position but shit got fucked when new coaching changes run off upperclassmen contributors and having 5 different OCs ruins the development of these guys as they are learning new verbiage and spending time installing vs practicing what they know.

Herman is following this recipe and it will get us back to competing.  I love that every OL/DL is getting a redshirt and I hope we don’t see them starting till 2020.  Same goes for QBs.  This is how you fucking manufacture depth.  

In conclsuion, I hope they fire both mehringer and Warehime.  Keep Meekings and Beck as WR/TE coaches.  Get a good play caller that can coach QBs.  Then use the extra coaching spot to hire a fucking recruiting witch to help Oscar Giles as he will absolutely not get us elite DL.  And if there’s one thing I know.... elite DLs win you championships.  Can’t remember the last national championship team that didn’t have a stout D-line.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah man, don't be so sure about Wareheim OR Mehringer getting let go after this season. it may happen, but at this point it is hardly a foregone conclusion. 

Question on coaches contracts:

1) Except for Orlando, Hand, and Beck, the rest of the asst coaches contracts expire in February 2019 right??

2) If true, to retain these asst coaches with expiring contracts, Texas probably has to re-sign them for a minimum of 2 years right??

Edited by LTtxfan

43 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Floyd looks like Terry Tate office linebacker out there. Good lord.

There was this recruit back when Mack first got here...."Mike Williams" I think.  Before Hudl or Twitter or maybe even Rivals...anyway...right after signing day that Feb, Mack came to the Longhorn Club luncheon at the Ervin Center with a film of all of the players who had just signed.  I forget now which class it was...it may have been the one with Roy Williams, Sloan and BJ...anyway..this linebacker Williams absolutely stole the show.  Best fucking highschool "highlight reel" of that bunch, or any other bunch I had ever seen.  Left the luncheon awestruck.  I don't think he ever played a down at Texas, and I have never seen another highlight reel like that until this Floyd thing...same kind of deal ....violent.

2 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

There was this recruit back when Mack first got here...."Mike Williams" I think.  Before Hudl or Twitter or maybe even Rivals...anyway...right after signing day that Feb, Mack came to the Longhorn Club luncheon at the Ervin Center with a film of all of the players who had just signed.  I forget now which class it was...it may have been the one with Roy Williams, Sloan and BJ...anyway..this linebacker Williams absolutely stole the show.  Best fucking highschool "highlight reel" of that bunch, or any other bunch I had ever seen.  Left the luncheon awestruck.  I don't think he ever played a down at Texas, and I have never seen another highlight reel like that until this Floyd thing...same kind of deal ....violent.

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Williams-52028/high-school-88806/

And yes, his highlight tape was unreal. Only thing I remember from that time frame more impressive was Quan Cosby's highlight with all of the punt returns (I think he scored on something like 7 of 14 punt returns his senior year).

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Question on coaches contracts:

1) Except for Orlando, Hand, and Beck, the rest of the asst coaches contracts expire in February 2019 right??

2) If true, to retain these asst coaches with expiring contracts, Texas probably has to re-sign them for a minimum of 2 years right??

Yes, the contracts (except Orlando) all expire. But I think many coaches work on year to year contracts after their initial term. Not that it really matters. 

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, the contracts (except Orlando) all expire. But I think many coaches work on year to year contracts after their initial term. Not that it really matters. 

Thanks....Pretty sure Beck's expires Feb 2020.  

Found these quotes....

"By rule, regents are required to approve any multi-year contract or one worth more than $1 million. That included a three-year deal for offensive coordinator Tim Beck ($790,000 annually) and two-year contracts for others."

"The regents also are expected to approve a new $1.7 million annual salary for football defensive coordinator Todd Orlando with a one-year extension until March 2021. New co-offensive coordinator and line coach Herb Hand will get a three-year contract at $640,000 per year. (March 2021)"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TtomTerrific said:

In the Tx/Ou game in 03 it was garbage time and Ou scored a late TD running up the score.. I believe Williams was the guy that crushed the RB well after he scored and thinking to myself the guy was a monster and he was gonna bring the attitude we need to flip this series around.  

1 hour ago, TtomTerrific said:

He ran into some legal issues if I remember correctly....maybe involving a girl?  I believe he was from East Texas somewhere.

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

To this year:

"Our yards per play ranking is #76, points per play is 51st, offensive S&P+ ranking is 47th, and offensive FEI is 38th"

Those numbers appear to be quite an improvement across the board.... so far.

But "quite" is not our standard.

I’d say that’s unequivocally a huge improvement across the board. Maybe not where we want to be ultimately, but definitely moving in the right direction. 

17 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

In the Tx/Ou game in 03 it was garbage time and Ou scored a late TD running up the score.. I believe Williams was the guy that crushed the RB well after he scored and thinking to myself the guy was a monster and he was gonna bring the attitude we need to flip this series around.  

I felt the same way, which is rare for me to cheer for a bad sportsmanship type of penalty. But it demonstrated a fight that nobody else was showing. And I'm fairly certain it was Aaron Harris.