Texas recruiting notes 2019

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

They’ve been struggling on the field but I wouldn’t be surprised if they win out in the regular season. I guess Georgia makes more sense, but Cain has liked OSU for a while.

I'll agree tOSU wins out in the regular season before getting mudholed in the championship game,  but they threw it 73 times against Purdue. That is not a team that can run the football right now. Cain frequently mentions OL play and offensive scheme in interviews. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll agree tOSU wins out, but they threw it 73 times against Purdue. That is not a team that can run the football right now. Cain frequently mentions OL play and offensive scheme in interviews. 

Right, I just wonder if they’ll become more balanced when Haskins leaves. I know their fans liked Urban moving toward a heavy passing attack, but I think he’ll modify their offense again this offseason. I could see Cain not buying it though.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Checked out Houston's Twitter since he's been the only non-Shepherd commit to show any wobbliness. Whole lotta burnt orange love - only other thing was retweeting some other OKC high school kid's thing about Arky's DL class.

EJ  put that out there and he's full of shit. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

EJ  put that out there and he's full of shit. 

Nah, he Tweeted out letting coaches know something had happened to his DMs and he didn't mean to not respond to them. I'm sure even pretty solid commits still have lines of communication going with other staffs but making it public was unusual.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Almost every committed player talks to other coaches, most kids start these relationships at 14 years old.

Right, it's not that crazy. The fact that that's the most wavering we've seen out of all but one of our commits is really amazing. Testament to the staff (and to us going 6-1 and FINALLY validating our blueblood status).

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I was curious and looked it up.

David Sills.  Yes he seems like he doesnt suck the way he plays.  But not from Texas. 

Sills was huge for West Virginia last year. 18 touchdowns on just 60 catches, a full 30% of his receptions went for touchdowns. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll agree tOSU wins out in the regular season before getting mudholed in the championship game,  but they threw it 73 times against Purdue. That is not a team that can run the football right now. Cain frequently mentions OL play and offensive scheme in interviews. 

Makes me wonder what JK Dobbins is thinking right now. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-weekend-october-26th-28th/

2019 OT Isaiah Hookfin To Visit Texas | In-Person + Recruiting Update
– Super K

Earlier this week, I stopped by Dulles High School (Sugar Land) to watch practice and get a look at 2019 offensive tackle, Isaiah Hookfin.

I came away from that practice absolutely blown away by Hookfin’s athletic ability. I cannot emphasize enough how well this young man runs. Completely fluid in his lower body. Very flexible. He’s a natural athlete. He has to be a 4.8 perhaps even 4.7 guy at 6’5 265 lbs. He has a nice frame on him. Thick hands. Will comfortably hold around 300 lbs. Definitely one of the best athletes I’ve seen at that position in a while.

Hookfin really just started playing football last year. He played on the defensive side in 8th grade and then was injured during his freshmen and sophomore seasons. So, he played his junior year and is now doing well into his senior season.

Having said that, he isn’t raw in his technique. He works on his craft at Dulles and does additional work outside of practice and it shows, especially when you consider how little time he’s actually played the position.

Recruiting

Isaiah currently holds offers from schools like Duke, Texas Tech, Illinois, Houston, and others. He recently picked up and Arizona State offer and I do expect his offer list to expand once more coaches get a chance to see him and get more familiar with him.

Hookfin tells me that Coach Herb Hand went by to see Hookfin, last week during the bye week. Isaiah says he plans on visiting Texas on November 3rd for the West Virginia game.

I would not be surprised if he walks away with a Texas offer. If Hookfin moved anywhere near how he moved when I saw him, I’m sure coach Hand came away very impressed.

Again, this is a very high upside player. Would really like to see Texas pull the trigger here.

Running Back Dominos
– CJ Vogel

Big news late Thursday afternoon could have a pretty large impact on the remainder of the recruiting cycle for Tom Herman and the Texas Longhorns.

Five-star running back John Emery (Destrehan, La.) de-committed from Georgia this afternoon and is back on the market.

This move could start a domino effect across college football recruiting ranging across multiple conferences and impacting several blueblood programs.

Emery surprised many when he committed to Georgia in July. LSU finished second in the recruiting at the time of Emery’s commitment and now that he is back on the market, the Tigers are in a prime position to stir things up.

With LSU possibly devoting more attention to elite home-grown prospect, that may allow Texas to make up ground with running back Noah Cain out of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Texas has been in the thick of things with Cain since the beginning of his recruitment, but have found their toughest competition in the Tigers.

Texas has a committed running back in the class already with Derrian Brown out of Buford, Georgia, but has been adamant about finding a second back in the class.

Now for Texas, this news does nothing but put them in a better spot for Cain if they opt to go that route. They have been in the mix for the duration of his recruitment. However, with things trending high for Trey Sanders, Cain may not be of the highest priority at the moment.

If LSU gets back into it with Emery, the door could open for a de-committed from Tyrion Davis who is currently committed to the Tigers. Davis previously had high interest in Oklahoma and Alabama before his decision.

But let’s not forget Trey Sanders, Cain’s teammate at IMG Academy. Sanders has high interest in the Longhorns while also being tied to Alabama and Florida.

Obviously, there is a lot in play at the moment thanks to the news from Emery this afternoon. The recruiting schemes from schools like LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, and Florida are being redrawn with another elite running back prospect back on the market.

The recruitment of running backs in the 2019 cycle is about to get real interesting. The phones of top backs like Cain, Sanders, and Emery are going to be very busy in the upcoming weeks.

Get ready for a wild, fun ride.

45 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

No wild ride needed.  Just give me Brown and Glass and that'll do it for RB.

Ingram has me changing my view a bit at RB. I honestly just thought you could have a good system and just grab any athletic-ish back and they would be successful. Having a difference maker at the position changes our entire offense. I would opt on targeting higher even if it means we miss out and only sign one. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4

IT

RECRUITING

St. Louis wide receiver Marcus Washington will make his college destination public today. If you read between the lines here you'll know we're pretty optimistic he'll be selecting your favorite team. Well, not yours @thookem. He would put the X in Texas as his skill-set translates seamlessly to Collin Johnson's position.

If Elijah Higgins selects Stanford, as we predict, then the staff would very likely push harder for Melissa receiver Kennedy Lewis. Lewis is enticing as someone who is likely an X but could very well play Z. Lewis has mentioned he's announcing in November, after taking official visits to Notre Dame and Florida. We'll have clarity before he picks.

While Texas is trending up at receiver, it may be trending down at defensive end with Myron Warren. If Warren receives an LSU offer, which seems more likely than not at this point, we believe he's going to shut things down quickly -- assuming his offer is committable. If that happens expect Texas to push for South Oak Cliff's Steven Parker. The staff has been doing a lot of homework on him of late, with even Tom Herman going by to see him. He's committed to Texas Tech.

On offensive line recruiting, Isaiah Hookfin has the advantage over LaDarius Henderson to receive an offer. Juco tackle Myron Cunningham will visit in December. Andrew Coker is still on the radar. The staff wants a sure-fire interior player and that's where they view Coker. He doesn't have the feet for tackle. Four takes seems to be the current number.

There have been hints that Texas might receive another commitment this weekend along with Washington, assuming he picks UT. Of course we know the details, time, etc., but we're not going to say anything else. I'll be logging on Sunday night to discuss Saints/Vikings in the NFL thread.

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Ingram has me changing my view a bit at RB. I honestly just thought you could have a good system and just grab any athletic-ish back and they would be successful. Having a difference maker at the potential changes our entire offense. I would opt on targeting higher even if it means we miss out and only sign one. 

Ingram's a really solid back. Not a game-breaker type, as he lacks the straight-line speed to house it from distance very often...but he does prove the point about needing a better-than-average guy back there. Our best teams haven't all had elite backs, but over the years, our best backs have tended to be key parts of solid teams. Foreman was clearly the exception, in terms of team success...but it certainly wasn't his fault.   

Edited by Gut Wagon

33 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Ingram has me changing my view a bit at RB. I honestly just thought you could have a good system and just grab any athletic-ish back and they would be successful. Having a difference maker at the potential changes our entire offense. I would opt on targeting higher even if it means we miss out and only sign one. 

I guess I am in the minority but the IMG dudes don't do much for me.  This seems to be the year of the foot shuffler.  Honestly Emery looks like the best of the bunch.

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Columbus is a complete shithole full of rude idiots and fat, ugly women and I've made a terrible mistake?  Just spitballing.

Truth.  Makes me wonder how they hide all this shit from recruits so they actually don't see what the city is like.  I was there for 48 hours and was in fear for my life about 8 of them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I guess I am in the minority but the IMG dudes don't do much for me.  This seems to be the year of the foot shuffler.  Honestly Emery looks like the best of the bunch.

You want glass over Sanders or cain? Man I bet you loved watching Kyle Porter play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Ingram's a really solid back. Not a game-breaker type, as he lacks the straight-line speed to house it from distance very often...but he does prove the point about needing a better-than-average guy back there. Our best teams haven't all had elite backs, but over the years, our best backs have tended to be key parts of solid teams. Foreman was clearly the exception, in terms of team success...but it certainly wasn't his fault.   

He lacks straight line speed because it is not his running style. The kid is fast and if he ever learns to run north/south more often, he will be able to flash it. 

6 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Truth.  Makes me wonder how they hide all this shit from recruits so they actually don't see what the city is like.  I was there for 48 hours and was in fear for my life about 8 of them.

Columbus has fun neighborhoods (it's sneakily one of the fashion centers of the country because of all the companies headquartered there) and 60k students that think you're a god.

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

Any idea who could commit? Obviously not Kennedy Lewis. Unless it’s a 2020 but it seems like 2019.

Not clear.  If it were that openly known, you'd think there would be a flood of CBs right now, but I haven't seen any unexpected ones this week.  Which, I guess, means it's someone already CBed to Texas by everyone?  Maybe Caleb Johnson--but that would be really surprising given the Oregon offer?

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Not clear.  If it were that openly known, you'd think there would be a flood of CBs right now, but I haven't seen any unexpected ones this week.  Which, I guess, means it's someone already CBed to Texas by everyone?  Maybe Caleb Johnson--but that would be really surprising given the Oregon offer?

Maybe 2020 OT Chad Lindberg.  He's 100% CBed to UT.