Texas recruiting notes 2019

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-cain-banks-leal-monday-april-16th/

– Noah Cain Return Visit

2019 elite running back, Noah Cain (IMG Academy) tells me he will visit Texas this weekend for the Spring Game.

Cain took a visit to Oklahoma last month. I spoke with his father around that time and he reconfirmed that they still plan to make a December decision.

We’ll see if that changes after the Texas visit. We do like where Texas stands in this one.

– Texas Target Weekend Visits

A number of top Texas targets were on visits to other schools this past weekend. Three visited schools that have long been the biggest threat to Texas. Let’s review how things went…

*I exchanged texts with NaNa Osafo-Mensah a bit, while he was on his official to Notre Dame. He seemed to be enjoying himself but I didn’t get the sense, at all, that Notre Dame was able to definitively seal the deal with him, this weekend.

They’re not going to get another shot and Texas will have the last visit. So, this one is starting to look better and better for Texas.

*I haven’t checked in with Garrett Wilson just yet. He was on a official visit to Ohio State. Garrett did say, before he left to Columbus, that he believes he will be ready to announce within a week after the Texas visit.

In speaking with folks around Garrett, I can say that things went really well this weekend for Ohio State. Texas will need to knock it out of the park next weekend.

It can be done but we continue to believe Ohio State has an edge here.

*Texas A&M made waves with 2019 DL, DeMarvin Leal this past weekend. I did chat with Leal’s mother over the weekend. While some unpleasant news may come out soon regarding Leal, I don’t believe the story between Leal and Texas is even remotely over.

However, mother did say that they will not be at next weekend’s Texas Spring Game. But I do believe they will OV at a later time.

– Marcus Banks to Return to Texas

This weekend, 2019 DB, Marcus Banks released his top five, which included Texas, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU and Alabama.

It was no surprise to see Texas make the cut. I checked in with Marcus after he dropped the list and he tells me that he will be in Austin for the Texas Spring game.

Texas will be looking to counter the momentum that Texas A&M and Oklahoma have generated after their Spring Game weekends, with a big weekend of their own.

– Testing Madness from Texas Targets

Texas DB target, Kenyatta Watson had incredible testing numbers this weekend. 45 inch vertical…45 inches! His father texted me his 40 and shuttle times which he says were 4.5 and 4.12, respectively.

And now, Kenyatta Watson is the real Super K…

*Another soon-to-be Texas visitor and teammate of Kenyatta Watson, Owen Pappoe, also put up some eye popping numbers. Texas needs to knock that visit out of the park…

Everyone always has the 'edge" after a kid visits. This is why getting the LAST visit in a spring game or OV is most important. 

I think Texas blows up after everyone that comes sees how big of a spectacle Texas makes the Spring Game "Under the Lights". You want to make every kid in the state/country feel like he is missing out on the biggest even of the Spring. Which from what I hear through the grapevine, this weekend for recruits is going to be EPIC. And I don't even fucking talk like that either that is just what I was told. So everyone simmer down. Errbody is still in effect.

• Like 2

So if he’s still in play, planning on taking visits and ours to flip (according to $9.95and apparently family members), why would you verbal to Aggy?  Just publically name them as your leader and go from there....

Edited by EZ$

I don’t think it happens as often as people want to believe.
We've landed quite a few that were considered heavy aggy leans, but actual commits are much harder to flip, and vice versa for them.

I couldn't say exactly how many aggy commits have flipped to us, but I'd say at least more than the other way around.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

We've landed quite a few that were considered heavy aggy leans, but actual commits are much harder to flip, and vice versa for them.

I couldn't say exactly how many aggy commits have flipped to us, but I'd say at least more than the other way around.

I can think of Pat Hudson as one, though that was indirect. Other way has Lanfear and Alaka. 

We were gonna land Irv. smith jr before Bama swooped in. There have also been other former A&M commits who have ended up with us.

They have new hope to sell this cycle though. That and a strong recruiting staff will make them a force regardless of our record this season.

We’ll have a good class either way.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Patrick Hudson... Before him, Marcus Johnson perhaps? It's far more rare than people on here want to acknowledge.

That's true.  While they have historically had a relatively high rate of decommits, those kids haven't traditionally flipped to Texas.

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

That's true.  While they have historically had a relatively high rate of decommits, those kids haven't traditionally flipped to Texas.

Yeah in that same time period A&M flipped Alaka, Seals Jones, Lanfear, Thomas Johnson and Z. Henderson. neither school flips that often but A&M has flipped more in recent years. 

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, icanhazLHN? said:

I remember Hudson being a Baylor commit. Thought he came over with duvernay(s) after the Briles rape scandal

Hudson was at first an aggy commit. Although it was said he literally just committed so Sumlin would stop giving him the hard sell on his first visit there.

18 minutes ago, icanhazLHN? said:

I remember Hudson being a Baylor commit. Thought he came over with duvernay(s) after the Briles rape scandal

He was an A&M commit, decommitted, signed with Baylor, ended up with us after Rapelor exposed

Edited by TheBryMan81
Tex beat me to it

17 minutes ago, Walter White said:

Yeah in that same time period A&M flipped Alaka, Seals Jones, Lanfear, Thomas Johnson and Z. Henderson. neither school flips that often but A&M has flipped more in recent years. 

Seals Jones wasn't a straight flip, was he? I seem to remember him decommitting first, then it became public that we later on stopped recruiting him, for whatever reason.

5 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Seals Jones wasn't a straight flip, was he? I seem to remember him decommitting first, then it became public that we later on stopped recruiting him, for whatever reason.

if by whatever reason means we didn't want to pay his asking price, then yea, that's right.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Yeah think that is correct. But then can't count Hudson either. He hadn't been committed to A&M for like a year by the time he was on board at UT

• Fuck You 1