Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Rising didn’t come here to sit behind Ehlinger for three years. When he committed the starting spot was wide open - now he knows that Sam has QB1 locked up through 2020.

He would have gotten plenty of playing time due to the punishment Sam often takes in this offense anyway.

And I know people are talking about Rising taking that punishment as well, but Rising's listed height/weight on the roster was 6' 2", 230 lbs. He's not a small dude by any means.

Just now, satyanash said:

He would have gotten plenty of playing time due to the punishment Sam often takes in this offense anyway.

And I know people are talking about Rising taking that punishment as well, but Rising's listed height/weight on the roster was 6' 2", 230 lbs. He's not a small dude by any means.

But he didn't want "plenty of playing time", he wanted to be the alpha male starter. Nature of the position for most of the best guys.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I watched maybe one game of Utah football this season. What does their QB depth chart look like? Do they have a stud starter or something?

Stud is a strong word but an entrenched starter and with a redshirt freshman behind him that beat out their star recruit. He is not any better off at Utah unless it is about scheme. Or if he is a Mormon and just wants to be in Utah. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Best news of the night. The staff did a poor job of evaluation and he is a waste of a scholarship. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 

I hear what people say about his upside but we’ll never see it even if he were to come here. Guy either gets buried because of bad attitude or work ethic or transfers at the first sign of adversity. We’ve had too many of those flakes lately. Good riddance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Ira Henry helps with Mookie and is not a bought and paid for flake like Shephard.   If he flips he can enjoy planter box Friday nights in Northgate.  

I was just thinking if we'd take another high school lineman.  We only took 2 in 2017 so taking only 2 this year seems low from a numbers perspective.

The staff visited Henry on Tuesday but I haven't seen anything about him since.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I was just thinking if we'd take another high school lineman.  We only took 2 in 2017 so taking only 2 this year seems low from a numbers perspective.

With the emergence of the grad transfer market I’m not as worried but 4 HS OL in 2 years would definitely be far from ideal, 2020 better be a 4-5 man class. 

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Interior guys are who we really need. Tyler Johnson can move inside but what about the others? Crucial we score some wins in the transfer sweepstakes.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They are going to sign 1-2 more OL. One of those is likely going to be a JUCO. And next year Texas is in great position with the state’s best. 

55 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Best news of the night. The staff did a poor job of evaluation and he is a waste of a scholarship.

I think the staff did fine on the evaluation and just decided it was worth the risk. I think they’ve known who Shepherd is for a year. They took the commitment and all that came with it. I also think he’s a waste of a scholarship and it’ll blow up in aggy’s faces. 

I also like that it has shone a light on Footwork King. Assuming Shepherd carries through with his “dramatic” flip, if I were Tom Herman, I’d set out to ruin FWK. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think the staff did fine on the evaluation and just decided it was worth the risk. I think they’ve known who Shepherd is for a year. They took the commitment and all that came with it. I also think he’s a waste of a scholarship and it’ll blow up in aggy’s faces. 

I also like that it has shone a light on Footwork King. Assuming Shepherd carries through with his “dramatic” flip, if I were Tom Herman, I’d set out to ruin FWK. 

Beyond reporting him to the NCAA, what other recourse does Herman have against the footie bitch?

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I wouldn't show up FWK, I just wouldn't offer another recruit of his.  Then he can play his saggy recruits against Bama, LSU and Georgia. Good luck with trying to steer guys against pipelines to the players. In due time, they'll just say hey, f'k the middle man, we'd prefer just to offer $$$ to the player/family directly.     

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

Fuck that. TexPete is spot on. Idiots like FWK deserve to be exposed.

I was thinking if you don't offer him anything to pay against, then he's got nothing.  But expose away as well.  That relies on the player though to say something and they almost always don't until they're working in the produce section of a grocery store a decade later.  And yeah, that happened while I was wearing a Texas shirt.  A.guy watering produce said he was a lineman paid by Michigan State prior and that all good players are. Smiled and kept walking but he works in a DC Safeway if anyone wants to bother.         

41 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I wouldn't show up FWK, I just wouldn't offer another recruit of his.  Then he can play his saggy recruits against Bama, LSU and Georgia. Good luck with trying to steer guys against pipelines to the players. In due time, they'll just say hey, f'k the middle man, we'd prefer just to offer $$$ to the player/family directly.     

Doubtful, trainers serve a role as conduit, just keep him happy and he's the buffer, s person to deal with for multiple kids.  

Paying families is a crap shoot, and in this new age of transfer free agency that's going to be more dangerous.   Kid gets pissed and wants to transfer.  Parent gets pissed because the maintenance payments dried up,  kids transfer and decide to burn the last program to the ground.  

QB Depth....

This is why you sign an athlete in each class that's previously played QB.  Heard was always valuable in his willingness to fill this role..... Thanks Jerrod!!!!

Hope Texas does not need it, but having Wiley as a former QB never hurts for depth....

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Cashcar said:

Rising can suck a dick. Specifically, he can suck FWK’s dick. Glad we ended up with Casey Thompson.

Cam hated living in Texas. This state isn't for everyone

The QB depth chart just sealed it. Cam was talking transfer near the beginning of the season when Ehlinger looked trash. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, Cashcar said:

Fuck that. TexPete is spot on. Idiots like FWK deserve to be exposed.

It won't happen in regards to programs' dirty laundry because if we go exposing someone's dirty laundry they'll start exposing our dirty laundry and going nuclear isn't good for anyone. 

The closest you'll see is what happened to Zach Smith but that was off the field/not connected to impropriety with players and he even tried to go nuclear on Herman but had zero knowledge and credibility. If HCs start going to war they all will lose. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The team. It isn't a secret when a dude is talking about transferring to teammates during September of his freshman year. He wasn't happy here so best for him to go elsewhere. 

guess this confirms rising was the player who told bru not to come to texas

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, hornyhorn said:

guess this confirms rising was the player who told bru not to come to texas

I don't know about that. I never heard that he bad mouthed anyone or said a bad word just that he wasn't getting adjusted/acclimated and once Ehlinger sealed the deal and Cam didn't get a minute of game time it was a no brainier for him. 

I think Cam just didn’t like living down south. He was really engaged on the sideline during the Sugar Bowl, you could tell he still had love for the team. Casey will be our backup in 2019, I think he has a chance to develop into a special player as well.

Caseys Spring Game Highlights: 

Edited by CastHorn

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I don't know about that. I never heard that he bad mouthed anyone or said a bad word just that he wasn't getting adjusted/acclimated and once Ehlinger sealed the deal and Cam didn't get a minute of game time it was a no brainier for him. 

Either way, it still takes a startling lack of awareness to make a guy who is halfway out the door be the host for Bru. 

I know this is a good recruiting staff overall, but sometimes they make some baffling decisions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

LOL at Rising committing first to OU as a recruit if Austin was too "down South" and not enough like California for him.  And now, for a better cultural fit, he's looking at ... Utah?

I'm not sure all of that passes the smell test.  Although, if you are far from home for the first time and homesick, I suppose you see what you want to see through a negative point of view.  But at least logically, it seems more likely that he thought Ehlinger was going to bust and he would be in line for early playing time.

you’re basing this on an unsubstantiated post from fake junior miller.  also known as a load of horseshit.  

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

LOL at Rising committing first to OU as a recruit if Austin was too "down South" and not enough like California for him.  And now, for a better cultural fit, he's looking at ... Utah?

I'm not sure all of that passes the smell test.  Although, if you are far from home for the first time and homesick, I suppose you see what you want to see through a negative point of view.  But at least logically, it seems more likely that he thought Ehlinger was going to bust and he would be in line for early playing time.

You don't know until you live there, plus it's a 17 yr old kid making the decision. He's not the first to arrive gung ho, not like it, and move closer to home. 

The primary criticism of Rising during his evaluation period and recruitment, and which was validated once he got to campus was that he's "spacey" (insert Hollywood rape joke). Most successful QBs are Type A, and that isn't Cam Rising 

10 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

You don't know until you live there, plus it's a 17 yr old kid making the decision. He's not the first to arrive gung ho, not like it, and move closer to home. 

Utah is colder, more culturally conservative, and basically more different than California in every way than Austin. It doesn't check out.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Utah is colder, more culturally conservative, and basically more different than California in every way than Austin. It doesn't check out.

And one of their highest rated recruits ever transferred after being on campus for a short time because he couldn't beat out other QBs this past year, and he was a better prospect than Rising

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Either way, it still takes a startling lack of awareness to make a guy who is halfway out the door be the host for Bru. 

I know this is a good recruiting staff overall, but sometimes they make some baffling decisions.

I agree with that.

Even if Cam did the right things durning the season,  the staff should have known something was up with him and found another host.