Texas recruiting notes 2019

EJ After Dark

— Millwood (Okla.) running back Marcus Major made an unofficial visit to Texas over the weekend and enjoyed his trip to campus. So where exactly do the Longhorns stand? Right now, Texas is in his top group along with Arkansas and Oklahoma. I’m told he isn’t exactly an OU lock and that the Longhorns have some wiggle room to win him over.

— Four-star Katy Mayde Creek defensive end Marcus Stripling is a maybe to make it to Austin for an unofficial visit this weekend. Stripling was last on campus for junior day last month, and the Longhorns are part of his top group. However, from what we have been able to gather, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are still the teams to beat.

— Texas has hosted several tight ends for unofficial visits this offseason. And the Longhorns are expected to get another one on campus before the start of summer. Miami commit Larry Hodges wants to make his way to this part of the country to see both Oklahoma and Texas. The Longhorns extended an offer earlier this month.

— Grayson (GA) outside linebacker Kevin Harris named Alabama, LSU and Miami his top three schools. Texas extended an offer to Harris this offseason, but the Longhorns are no longer in the mix in this one.

• Like 1

— Millwood (Okla.) running back Marcus Major made an unofficial visit to Texas over the weekend and enjoyed his trip to campus. So where exactly do the Longhorns stand? Right now, Texas is in his top group along with Arkansas and Oklahoma. I’m told he isn’t exactly an OU lock and that the Longhorns have some wiggle room to win him over.

tumblr_n3jhtjyvpU1r4gyjbo4_500.gif

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

Greg Powers: Recruiting notes from the Midlands region

247Sports Crystal Ball Breakdown

This week I made a Crystal Ball prediction for Jefferson (Texas) wide receiver TQ Jackson for Arkansas. Sources indicate that Jackson is high on the Hogs and assistant coach Jeff Traylor is a great recruiter in East Texas and wide receiver's coach Justin Stepp has been a recruiting ace as well both at SMU and now Arkansas for Chad Morris. That one-two punch should be a good combination in the battle for Jackson's services over offers from schools like Baylor and Texas Tech. The 6-foot-2, 180-pounder checks in as the No. 67 prospect in Texas per the 247Sports Composite.

Prospect on the Rise

Curley Young, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound outside linebacker from Pflugerville (Texas) Hendrickson is an impressive specimen who had a strong showing at the U.S. Army All-American Combine in January and has continued to pick up interest from colleges. He got a new wave of attention on Tuesday after posting a video where he bench pressed 22 reps of 225 pounds. Later that evening UTEP and Tulane offered joining SMU on Young's updated list. Young is not yet rated by the 247Sports Composite, but he is a three-star prospect per 247Sports, checking in currently as the No. 69 OLB. Hendrickson is the same high school that produced Washington Redskins running back Samaje Perine.

Commitment Spotlight

This week there were no new commitments in the Midlands region.

Buzzworthy

Grant Gunnell, a 6-foot-6, 222-pound quarterback from Houston (Texas) St. Pius X will be making his way to Texas A&M to sit in the quarterback meetings before the Aggies' practice on Thursday and then he will be watching the team scrimmage after. The one-time Texas A&M commit will not only have the chance to evaluate the team, but he will also have the chance to watch his brother Will Gunnell, who is a walk-on wide receiver. Texas A&M legacy running back and Top247 prospect Isaiah Spiller may join.

Branson Bragg, a 6-foot-4, 295-pound offensive lineman from Crandall (Texas) named his top eight. Making the cut were Arkansas, LSU, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Texas, and Texas A&M. Bragg is rated as the No. 299 player overall in the 2019 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. Bragg boasts a 4.2 grade-point average and a 31 ACT. Texas is in control of the 247Sports Crystal ball with Bragg, owning 80 percent of the current picks.

Missouri is a school that continues to keep the heat turned up on Tulsa (Okla.) Union quarterback Peyton Thompson, the QB MVP from The Opening Houston. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder recently enjoyed an unofficial visit to see the Tigers and he confirmed that he is set for a potential return trip to Columbia on for the spring game on April 14th. Thompson will compete at The Opening Dallas on April 29.

Every team needs an ace recruiter on it's commitment list and Texas commitment Jordan Whittington is going hard for the honor to be the recruiter of the year. The 6-foot-1, 198-pounder from Cuero (Texas) announced his commitment to UT on March 10 and since that day some top recruits like Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy running back Noah Cain and Forth Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah have mentioned Whittington staying in their ears about the 'Horns.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Who else should Noah Cain's recruiting be about?

Anyone signing on to play for Texas needs to understand the decision has zero to do with anything as trivial as their own education or athletic development. It should be all about making the regulars on this board proud to be Longhorn fans. I don't know why that's so hard for some players to get their heads around. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Anyone signing on to play for Texas needs to understand the decision has zero to do with anything as trivial as their own education or athletic development. It should be all about making the regulars on this board proud to be Longhorn fans. I don't know why that's so hard for some players to get their heads around. 

This guy gets it.

13 hours ago, Dallas-jo said:

I get the opposite feeling. Seems like he’s all about himself. 

2 hours ago, Dallas-jo said:

I’m just looking ahead to when he would be on the team.  Seems like he’s more concerned with himself than the team.

This may not be the site for you. Arguments like these usually go over much better at a place like Horns247.

2 hours ago, Dallas-jo said:

I’m just looking ahead to when he would be on the team.  Seems like he’s more concerned with himself than the team.

First off, I don’t see where you get that from in those quotes. B, he goes to IMG sssoooo.....no shit.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hunter will make a great S or OLB at Texas State or SMU or maybe UH. 

Is Hunter another "we didn't recruit to LT, he just happened to end up here" player?

Edited by pacman

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

Is Hunter another "we didn't recruit to LT, he just happened to end up here" player?

Hunter has been in the LTISD most of his life. I coached him for several years. He transferred to CP for his Jr. season and they moved back in time for his Sr. season. Great kid. Good player. 

Cine visiting today :: 

Texas will host one of its top targets today. Horns247 has learned that four-star Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Lewis Cine will make an unofficial visit to UT and take in the Longhorns’ spring practice. Cine picked up an offer from Texas last month. He also holds scholarships from Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Texas A&M and others.
Cine relocated from Massachusetts to Texas this offseason.

At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Cine is ranked as the No. 3 safety in the country and No. 6 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

I got a new life.  You would hardly recognize me, I'm so glad.  How can a person like me care for you?  Why do I bother, when you're not the one for me?  Oh-oh-ohwhoa.

I saw the Cine, and it opened up my eyes.  I saw the Cine.  Life is demanding without understanding.  I saw the Cine, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the Cine.  No one's gonna drag you up to get into the light where you belong.

oHD1Oo.gif

• Like 1

so looks like there's gonna be quite a few dudes on campus tomorrow/this weekend. In addition to the guys we already knew or are already on campus :: 

4 * Mater Dei (Calif.) wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon

4* Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins

4* Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Mycah Pittman

4* Junipero Serra (Calif.) cornerback Max Williams

4* IMG Academy (Fla.) wide receiver Josh Delgado 

2020 QB ::

Mater Dei (Calif.) quarterback Bryce Young - No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

so looks like there's gonna be quite a few dudes on campus tomorrow/this weekend. In addition to the guys we already knew or are already on campus :: 

4 * Mater Dei (Calif.) wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon

4* Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins

4* Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Mycah Pittman

4* Junipero Serra (Calif.) cornerback Max Williams

4* IMG Academy (Fla.) wide receiver Josh Delgado 

2020 QB ::

Mater Dei (Calif.) quarterback Bryce Young - No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country

Looks like we're going hard after California prospects. I like it. 

10 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

For reference: how does Herman compare to Strong in terms of getting elite talent to visit?  It seems like Mensa is on another level, but maybe I just follow recruiting closer under Herman? 

Herman’s attention to social media/graphics is what puts him above Strong. That seems to start the conversation with a lot of these kids and Herman seems to do a great job at seeing what makes each kid tick and cultivating an environment that makes them fall in love with UT.