Texas recruiting notes 2019

13 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Feels like we will win out eventually but I don’t understand why some are listing him to be one of our next commits.

I think I'm the only one who has indicated that. I'll stand by it, but that doesn't mean its gospel or I think someone is a moron if they see it otherwise. Whether in April or June, we're looking at a near term outcome.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think I'm the only one who has indicated that. I'll stand by it, but that doesn't mean its gospel or I think someone is a moron if they see it otherwise. Whether in April or June, we're looking at a near term outcome.

Hope you’re right. Feels like Wease and Henderson are getting a lot of hype but I’d take Wilson and Higgins over them. Also seems like Dylan Wright is underrated.

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Hope you’re right. Feels like Wease and Henderson are getting a lot of hype but I’d take Wilson and Higgins over them. Also seems like Dylan Wright is underrated.

Henderson and family would be very interested in Texas. Texas has higher players on the board and believes they're getting them. Wease is a damned good looking prospect, but I've got a hard time getting worked up about losing him when Texas looks good for Whittington (obviously), Higgins, and Wilson, and they have a shot at a slew of others.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Yeah, Wilson, Whittington, Wright and Higgins would be a pretty salty WR class...

I bet we'd end up with one more, whether it's Ellis, Houston, a late bloomer, or we circle back around to Henderson like we did with Josh Moore

Over/Under on how many of our class signs in the early signing period assuming a class of 25?

The second signing period is nuts and I have an idea that most schools will press guys to sign early if they are committed, it was especially scary with big targets like Ingram and Coburn last year. 

Edited by Vertigo

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Over/Under on how many of our class signs in the early signing period assuming a class of 25?

The second signing period is nuts and I have an idea that most schools will press guys to sign early if they are committed, it was especially scary with big targets like Ingram and Coburn last year. 

17 or 18?  I'm guessing.

If we learned anything about the second signing period last year, the good to great prospects left over get pulled in every direction by desperate programs.  The Coburn drama will be the new normal for studs who wait for the second signing day, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Henderson and family would be very interested in Texas. Texas has higher players on the board and believes they're getting them. Wease is a damned good looking prospect, but I've got a hard time getting worked up about losing him when Texas looks good for Whittington (obviously), Higgins, and Wilson, and they have a shot at a slew of others.

Before the WR vs DB drills I thought Wease was the 2nd or 3rd best WR after Wilson and maybe Whittington. Now I think he may be 4th with Higgins being #2. Jesus it shouldn't be possible to move like that at his size. I am disappointed that we aren't in it for him as he is a stud, but I'm not too worked up about it. Arjei would be viewed as a stud in most other classes. But I have him below Wright on my list. If we could end with a class of Wilson, Higgins, Whittington, and Wright, I'd be through the roof.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Before the WR vs DB drills I thought Wease was the 2nd or 3rd best WR after Wilson and maybe Whittington. Now I think he may be 4th with Higgins being #2. Jesus it shouldn't be possible to move like that at his size. I am disappointed that we aren't in it for him as he is a stud, but I'm not too worked up about it. Arjei would be viewed as a stud in most other classes. But I have him below Wright on my list. If we could end with a class of Wilson, Higgins, Whittington, and Wright, I'd be through the roof.

Feels like that’s definitely doable. I don’t really know how we are doing with Wright. 

31 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

17 or 18?  I'm guessing.

If we learned anything about the second signing period last year, the good to great prospects left over get pulled in every direction by desperate programs.  The Coburn drama will be the new normal for studs who wait for the second signing day, unfortunately. 

17 first signing period with 8 being EE.  Based on....  nothing.

I feel like this is the most 'normal' recruiting year we're going to have had in a long time. Aside from being thin at LB and DL, our roster is pretty balanced without any positions of glaring need.

This year we need talent instead of warm bodies to plug holes in the depth chart. It's a nice feeling.

Edited by Disco Missile

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I expect less big time recruits to sign early this cycle...

We weren't the only ones who noticed even borderline recruits getting the royal treatment from multiple programs in the weeks between NSD1 and NSD2. Some of them will definitely want some of that, even those who ultimately stick with their original commitment.

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

I expect less big time recruits to sign early this cycle...

We weren't the only ones who noticed even borderline recruits getting the royal treatment from multiple programs in the weeks between NSD1 and NSD2. Some of them will definitely want some of that, even those who ultimately stick with their original commitment.

I disagree. Big time recruits get that kind of treatment for almost two years most of the time. A lot of them are tired of it by the time NSD1 comes around.  Plus, programs put pressure on those guys to sign NSD1. 

I'd say late risers/marginal P5 guys are the ones who are likely to see guys like Ojomo from last year and hold out for NSD2 in hopes of getting more big time offers and attention.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

13 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I disagree. Big time recruits get that kind of treatment for almost two years most of the time. A lot of them are tired of it by the time NSD1 comes around.  Plus, programs put pressure on those guys to sign NSD1. 

I'd say late risers/marginal P5 guys are the ones who are likely to see guys like Ojomo from last year and hold out for NSD2 in hopes of getting more big time offers and attention.

To this point, if I'm a guy like Mpagi, or Deondrick Glass, or the second tier OLs in Texas this year, I'd hold off on signing on NSD1. Sure, you may feel like that TCU, Baylor, or Arkansas offer looks mighty sweet, but what happens if UT, LSU or OU didn't fill your position at the last minute the way it expected to do so. Suddenly you're a borderline national 300 guy getting recruited like a 5 star. I guarantee that this is a message that UT is coaching to roughly 30 guys right now. They're working the big time guys they want to sign early, to sign early, and the back-ups who will commit elsewhere to hold off on signing on NSD1. 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I'm betting it's closer to the full boat than not.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

To this point, if I'm a guy like Mpagi, or Deondrick Glass, or the second tier OLs in Texas this year, I'd hold off on signing on NSD1. Sure, you may feel like that TCU, Baylor, or Arkansas offer looks mighty sweet, but what happens if UT, LSU or OU didn't fill your position at the last minute the way it expected to do so. Suddenly you're a borderline national 300 guy getting recruited like a 5 star. I guarantee that this is a message that UT is coaching to roughly 30 guys right now. They're working the big time guys they want to sign early, to sign early, and the back-ups who will commit elsewhere to hold off on signing on NSD1. 

I would also imagine guys who are on the take or have a handler will hold off to see what sort of additional cash can be funneled in by desperate buyers.

I think the true top guys know they will get the red carpet treatment by coming in for officials in the Spring and Summer. They probably don't care about Bama or Clemson making a late desperation stab at them when the already have strong relationships with a bunch of premier programs.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So is Demani Richardson set to visit again soon only to no-show?  

If he visits, it will likely be a surprise. Any visit to UT that a 9.95er publicizes in advance will get squashed by Jimbo unless he decommits.

Edit: What Machinator said.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

If he visits, it will likely be a surprise. Any visit to UT that a 9.95er publicizes in advance will get squashed by Jimbo unless he decommits.

Edit: What Machinator said.

So any chance he might have showed this past weekend and nobody knows about it?