Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 minutes ago, T-dog said:

Damn, Stingley looks really good in there; Wilson as well - would have loved to see a matchup between the two

Stingley is a stud, but he is a handsy dude. 

Elijah Higgins looked as good as Wilson in my opinion, at least from a "what do I expect of this guy" premise. Higgins could be an NFL tight end some day. I get it that "tight end" is a dirty word to the guy right now, but I'm talking about 3-4 years down the line. 

Marcus Banks looks like Merton Hanks until the play happens and then he's ... well, he's not Merton Hanks. 

In watching the Dallas video, Wease is a fucking stud with the way he shifts his strides. It's deceptive and it's hard to defend. 

Bobby Wolfe looks like a nothing player. A JAG if there ever was one. Let other schools fight for that head case.

1. Getting Floyd back on campus this fast is huge. I tempered my enthusiasm about him until we got him back on campus, but I think we have to to feel pretty good about this recruitment right now, which is huge since we'll need LBs so badly in 2019.

2. Am I to believe that Higgins looked that good running routes at 230-235 lbs? If so, that's insane and he's way underrated.  Whether considered a TE or WR, he's gonna be a matchup nightmare with that combination of size, speed and fluid route running.  Let's get his recruitment wrapped up ASAP.  

3. Almost all the CBs in those videos were fairly underwhelming. I'm glad we have a lot of offers to OOS CBs this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Apparently Floyd is on springbreak right now. I already felt really good about him just based on the way he's talked about us and the fact that he has connections to Austin (an advantage over other non-Cali schools), but if we're his only visit over his break that would be pretty telling. 

EJ is saying he's spending the week in Austin so I assume that means we're his only visit

89HANHg.gif

• Like 3

Higgins size to speed ratio doesn't make sense. Guys that big should not be able to run that fast. I can totally see why he wants to stick at wideout and for college he probably should. Wilson is probably the most complete outside receiver, both from a physical and natural feel level, this state has produced sinced Dez; yes I went there. Absolute stud and must get. Stingley looks really good, too bad we don't have a shot, same with Wease. Floyd is in the calculator. 

Edited by Backwoods Tokin'

19 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I wasn't too familiar with the shag until hearing about its closing but I'm big into Texas football and recruiting so this seems like a community I'd like to get involved with. 

I'll start off by calling my shot: We finish with the #6 class in 2019. More than a third of the class is out of state, including 2 five stars. 

I like the cut of your jib dear sir.

48 minutes ago, Fud said:

Looking at the mockdraftable database, there aren't many wide receivers who fit Higgins' profile of a 6'3 235+ WR. Tough to come up with a good comp. 

Andre Johnson - a little lighter but close. Odds of hitting that ceiling are obviously low. Best bet is to put on a few more pounds and be our version of Brevin Jordan from the ‘18 class.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

Here are my completely uneducated scouting notes for the two Dallas videos that were just posted.

WR vs. DB
Wease - Even if it helps him get separation, I really hate that high-stutter step thing he does. I don't think it'll fly when he gets in college ball and corners press him.
Snow - He's a man already.
Cine - Looks good, but I was hoping to see him be more physical.
Bridges - Holy crap, that catch. He's a legit receiver and I'm scared to face him for four years.
Houston - Looked stiff to me.
McGill - Didn't see anything truly special, but I hope he's a late riser since it seems some think we're interested.
Hopper - That closing speed is incredible.
Lyles - Huge frame and smooth runner. I've never heard his name before but I liked him.
Wolfe - It seems like he really sucks.

RB & TE vs. LB
McGowan - DO WANT.
McClellan - That spin move was freakish. Hope we get back in on him.
Stogner - LOL he was getting beat up by everyone he went against. 
Blackshire - Hell of a frame but damn, he looks like he is going to get flagged, or beat, A LOT.
Wiley - Super smooth and fast but really skinny. Thankfully Blackshire couldn't keep up with him or else we would have been eaten.
Major - He looked awesome running routes.Here are my completely uneducated scouting notes for the two Dallas videos that were just posted.

Edited by Tired of Lurking
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Or he might want to go to Brown or Air Force for free and then make lots of money

Brown probably wouldn't be totally free. And air force has some other strings attached. But your point is well taken. 

Although these are the kind of PWOs that Herman landed last cycle. 

They need to put boxing the gloves on Stingley.  Higgins is a must get.  He'll outgrown WR at some point, but his size to speed\agility ratio is fantastic.  Snow is headed to LB... don't care what he wants to be recruited as... he's a LB.  

Edited by RabidM

Piece on RB Noah Cain from 24/7
"I have Ohio State coming up next Thursday. That trip has been planned for a minute. That’s pretty much it for now. I’m planning to attend the Texas spring game next month on April 21. My top schools are coming some time in the summer — probably right before the end of the summer. I’m taking it slow. It’s a blessing to be in this position."

"I just want to see improvement from the offensive line. That was a big question mark for their team last year. The recruits they brought in are supposed to be top of the line, so I just want to see that improvement with the offensive line. They have a new offensive line coach, and I’m ready to see how he changes that group around. I know they were more pass heavy last year because of the offensive line play. But this year is supposed to be better with the running game."

"It’s really good (relationship with Coach Drayton). Since he offered me last March, our relationship has developed a lot. I’ve visited two times so far and had great visits. My parents like it up there. It’s just a slow process. I’m going to take all of my official visits and see where everything stands come December. But I really like Coach Drayton and what he’s been able to do with running backs that he’s worked with in the past."

"It’s not even about winning, to be honest. It’s about offensive line play. I need to see how those guys do. That’s the biggest thing for me and my development. I know Coach Drayton has a great resume, but without an offensive line, you can’t make plays. I’ll really be paying close attention to that offensive line play this season and how it develops from last year."

"Yes and no. I’m going to do what’s best for me and my development, so I can get to the league. It’s good to see them build some hype but at the end of the day, the hype wears off when you get to campus. When I really pay attention to them this season, I’m going to be selfish and see if it really is the best fit for me come December."

"Yeah (laughs). He (Jordan Whittington) actually texts me every single day. He tells me to come to Texas and help build things. That’s the best fit for him. I think it might be the best fit for me also, but I want to be 100 percent sure in my decision. I don’t want to be second guessing myself come signing day."

"I knew the program was going to get right. I talk to Coach Herman every week — same with Coach Drayton and Bryan (Carrington). I have a great relationship with all those dudes, so I knew it was coming. The recruiting momentum they are building plus the renovations with the facilities and the coaching changes are great. It’s just all about putting the pieces together and winning."

"He’s (Tom Herman) a cool dude. He understands kids from all kinds of backgrounds. That’s the biggest thing about him. He can vibe with anybody. That’s the biggest thing with any head coach — being able to vibe with everybody and not big timing anybody when you show them around campus. He’s just a cool dude you can vibe to and talk to."

"He’s (Bryan Carrington) kind of like a big brother. He’s guiding me through the process. He wants what’s best for me. If it’s not Texas, it’s not Texas. At the end of the day, he’s one of those dudes that cares more about the players than the school. But he pushes Texas really hard (laughs). He tells me all the time that Texas is a great fit for me. I’m happy that he got the new job. He deserved it and earned it. He’s doing a great job up there."

"Yeah. That’s the thing (depth chart) I’m looking at too. It can be a blessing and a curse. Texas signed Keontay Ingram, and he’s a really good back. I’m not sure about the 2017 class. But Coach Drayton has been telling me how they might take two backs in the 2019 class. He’s upfront about everything. He tells me about what other backs they’re recruiting. He just wants me to focus on the offensive line play at the spring game and see how they do and how the lanes open up."

"It (taking two RBs) doesn’t affect me at all. I’m not going to be the only back when I get to the league. Of course, you want to get the carries and all of that. But you can do that in a two back system. If it were more of a three or four back rotation then we would have a problem. But if it’s a 1-2 punch, that works better."

"Hell yeah I would want to play with Trey (Sanders) at the next level. People might think there is beef between us. But there’s not. We’re always competing and trying to get each other better. We feed off of each other. If one of us is slacking, we get on each other. We feel like we are the leaders of the team. It’s always good to compete with him. We always talk to each about schools that are recruiting us both. Coaches tell us that they would love to have us both. But we’re both just taking our time."

"I hope so (Trey Sanders attending the UT spring game). He needs to come see what Texas life is like. I told him it’s cool down in Austin. We’re going to talk about it. We have a great relationship. We’re like brothers."

• Like 1

As always I recommend reading their post on their website because it's free and they're the only guys worth supporting:

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/03/open-post-tuesday-march-27th/

For your convenience it is copied below 

– Branson Bragg: Recently, 2019 OC Branson Bragg, Crandall, Tx., posted his top eight on twiiter.

The fact that Texas made his top eight comes as no surprise. If you recall, our own Will Baizer and JY provided an in depth look at the Elite Linemans recruitment back in February. Branson Bragg

Shortly after he tweeted out the list, Brandon Drumm from the OU side was able to catch up with him. Brandon asked Branson the reasoning behind including each of the schools on his list. Bragg told him, “Texas is that flagship program. It’s in-state and has the elite coaches that can take my game to the next level. He went on to say, “The university/academic side of it helps too, since the academic prestige is there.”

When Brandon asked about his thoughts on OL Coach Hand, Branson said, “Coach Hand is a super respected guy, and it’s evident when you talk to him that he is also among the best. I would say I am pretty close with him”

We still feel very good about where Texas stands with Branson and we will continue to keep you all updated on Bragg’s recruitment over time. – (Charlie)

– Garett Wilson: As you all know one of the big recent visits that happened was Garrett Wilson making his first trip up to Columbus for an unofficial visit to Ohio State.

It’s well known by now that Garrett grew up in Columbus rooting for the Buckeyes. Both Texas and Oklahoma are clearly in the picture with Wilson. I’ve been wondering however, if Ohio State was going to be a real contender or just a school that Wilson liked when he was young but ultimately was better as a childhood memory than a reality.

I chatted briefly with Wilson this past weekend but plan to have a full conversation with him.

Two takeaways from my initial communication with him.

1. The Ohio State trip met his lofty expectations. Again, I thought there was a chance that it could be a visit that ended up being good but not quite what he imagined. That was not the case. Garrett said it was every bit as good as he had hoped and imagined.

2. Wilson said he will indeed take an official visit to Ohio State. That visit is expected to happen later this spring as Wilson would like to make a decision by early summer.

Bottom line here is, Ohio State did what they needed to do to be a threat in this one.

Again, I hope to have more with Wilson later. – (Super K)

– NaNa Osafo-Mensah: Top 2019 DE/OLB, NaNa Osaf0-Mensah (Nolan Catholic) was originally planning to take an unofficial visit to Texas this past weekend but that did not materialize.

He let me know that he has rescheduled and plans to visit Texas this upcoming weekend. – (Super K)

– Early Spring Thoughts: Texas is a few practices into Spring Practice and I wanted to give some of my early thoughts on the Longhorns offense so far.

– It looks to be Sam Ehlinger’s team so far. He’s more comfortable this year and he knows what he needs to do to win the job. Tom Herman and Tim Beck have been preaching it to him all the time: take care of the football.

– Daniel Young is the guy at RB right now. Toneil Carter is a good change of pace back, IF he can hold onto the football. Also, there is a sense of excitement around what RB Keaontay Ingram can do when he arrives on campus this summer.

– The biggest questions with the WR’s was how would Texas get Collin Johnson and Lil’Jordan Humphrey on the field at the same time, as both we’re lining up at the same position during the first few Spring practice. That question was answered when Tom Herman said Humphrey would line up in the slot when Texas went 12 personnel. At 6’4 220 pounds, Humphrey could become a major mismatch in the slot.

– Jerrod Heard is another guy I’ve heard good things about at WR. We heard the same about Heard last year and it didn’t really translate to production on the field. So we’ll see if the SR WR can make a big impact in his final year in burnt orange.

– Andrew Beck and Reese Leitao are the two TE’s taking most of the reps right now. Cade Brewer is still recovering from his torn ACL suffered late in the 2017 season. There is a lot of excitement about the growth Leitao made during his redshirt year. Though I still expect Beck to be the starter when the year begins, Leitao and Brewer are better receiving options over Beck.

– Right now, most of the OL seems to be set. With Zach Shackelford at C, Patrick Vahe at LG, and Elijah Rodreguez at either RG or RT (he’s starting at RG) right now. But then things get interesting and there could be some mixing and matching that happens once the full pads are on for a while.

– The biggest thing to watch going forward is the situation at left Tackle. Will grad transfer OT Calvin Anderson walk in this summer and win the LT spot? If he does, that would knock Denzel Okafor out of the starting lineup. Then does JUCO transfer Mickey Grandy look like a better option at RG over Elijah Rodregiez? If he does that means we could have a 3-man battle at RT between Rodreguez, Okafor, and Derek Kerstetter. Then you have Patrick Hudson, who could come in and win either starting guard spot but is still recovering from injury.

The bottom line is that there seems to be some better depth along the OL than there was in 2017. Now it’s just up to Herb Hand to pick the best 5 to send out there vs Maryland. – (Andrew)

– Fast Five: Spring practice notes. As usual, we have more notes on the donor site, here are five which we feel you’ll enjoy:

– Kris Boyd seems really relaxed on the field and Jason Washington and he were joking around a bunch through drills. Seems they are trying to relax things.

– There were a few more drops from WRs and missed targets from QBs than you’d like to see. However, it is the 3rd practice in helmets and pads. I expect them to knock off the rust.

– Seems they are working PJ Locke back at NB for right now until they get to Dime. I expect him to work back to safety at Dime.

– They are really cross training guys across the OL. Lots of mixing and matching between the RGs, Cs, LGs, and RTs. Basically everyone was running with 1s and 2s and different positions.

– It seems the practices are less intense than what I remember last year this time. Coaches have backed off on the yelling… except Naivar. High energy is his default setting. – (Will)

8 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

"I have Ohio State coming up next Thursday. That trip has been planned for a minute. That’s pretty much it for now. I’m planning to attend the Texas spring game next month on April 21. My top schools are coming some time in the summer — probably right before the end of the summer. I’m taking it slow. It’s a blessing to be in this position."

"I just want to see improvement from the offensive line. That was a big question mark for their team last year. The recruits they brought in are supposed to be top of the line, so I just want to see that improvement with the offensive line. They have a new offensive line coach, and I’m ready to see how he changes that group around. I know they were more pass heavy last year because of the offensive line play. But this year is supposed to be better with the running game."

"It’s really good (relationship with Coach Drayton). Since he offered me last March, our relationship has developed a lot. I’ve visited two times so far and had great visits. My parents like it up there. It’s just a slow process. I’m going to take all of my official visits and see where everything stands come December. But I really like Coach Drayton and what he’s been able to do with running backs that he’s worked with in the past."

"It’s not even about winning, to be honest. It’s about offensive line play. I need to see how those guys do. That’s the biggest thing for me and my development. I know Coach Drayton has a great resume, but without an offensive line, you can’t make plays. I’ll really be paying close attention to that offensive line play this season and how it develops from last year."

"Yes and no. I’m going to do what’s best for me and my development, so I can get to the league. It’s good to see them build some hype but at the end of the day, the hype wears off when you get to campus. When I really pay attention to them this season, I’m going to be selfish and see if it really is the best fit for me come December."

"Yeah (laughs). He (Jordan Whittington) actually texts me every single day. He tells me to come to Texas and help build things. That’s the best fit for him. I think it might be the best fit for me also, but I want to be 100 percent sure in my decision. I don’t want to be second guessing myself come signing day."

"I knew the program was going to get right. I talk to Coach Herman every week — same with Coach Drayton and Bryan (Carrington). I have a great relationship with all those dudes, so I knew it was coming. The recruiting momentum they are building plus the renovations with the facilities and the coaching changes are great. It’s just all about putting the pieces together and winning."

"He’s (Tom Herman) a cool dude. He understands kids from all kinds of backgrounds. That’s the biggest thing about him. He can vibe with anybody. That’s the biggest thing with any head coach — being able to vibe with everybody and not big timing anybody when you show them around campus. He’s just a cool dude you can vibe to and talk to."

"He’s (Bryan Carrington) kind of like a big brother. He’s guiding me through the process. He wants what’s best for me. If it’s not Texas, it’s not Texas. At the end of the day, he’s one of those dudes that cares more about the players than the school. But he pushes Texas really hard (laughs). He tells me all the time that Texas is a great fit for me. I’m happy that he got the new job. He deserved it and earned it. He’s doing a great job up there."

"Yeah. That’s the thing (depth chart) I’m looking at too. It can be a blessing and a curse. Texas signed Keontay Ingram, and he’s a really good back. I’m not sure about the 2017 class. But Coach Drayton has been telling me how they might take two backs in the 2019 class. He’s upfront about everything. He tells me about what other backs they’re recruiting. He just wants me to focus on the offensive line play at the spring game and see how they do and how the lanes open up."

"It (taking two RBs) doesn’t affect me at all. I’m not going to be the only back when I get to the league. Of course, you want to get the carries and all of that. But you can do that in a two back system. If it were more of a three or four back rotation then we would have a problem. But if it’s a 1-2 punch, that works better."

"Hell yeah I would want to play with Trey (Sanders) at the next level. People might think there is beef between us. But there’s not. We’re always competing and trying to get each other better. We feed off of each other. If one of us is slacking, we get on each other. We feel like we are the leaders of the team. It’s always good to compete with him. We always talk to each about schools that are recruiting us both. Coaches tell us that they would love to have us both. But we’re both just taking our time."

"I hope so (Trey Sanders attending the UT spring game). He needs to come see what Texas life is like. I told him it’s cool down in Austin. We’re going to talk about it. We have a great relationship. We’re like brothers."

I kept trying to click off the text to unselect it all.

Edited by nycHorn

EJ after dark: Can Texas reel in Floyd?

— Elite California outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd arrived in Austin today and made his second trip to Texas in as many months. Floyd took in the Longhorns’ practice and spent time with the Texas coaching staff as well as Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. I recently put in my Crystal Ball pick for Floyd to Texas and am feeling better and better about. Floyd will be in Austin for his spring break, so the Longhorns have a legitimate chance to win him over early in the process. 

— Four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon made an unofficial visit to TCU over the weekend. As I’ve reported, Catalon is now taking a stronger look at schools closer to home, and TCU appears to have worked itself in the picture. The Horned Frogs are now high on his list with Arkansas and Texas. Clemson is still a contender, but interest looks like it’s fading.

— Four-star Cuero athlete and Texas commit Jordan Whittington is planning to make it down for the Longhorns’ spring game on April 21. Whittington is excited to see how the Texas offense looks and how the slot receivers perform in the system. Right now, Whittington is very content with his pledge to UT.

— Four-star Fort Bend Bush defensive back Erick Young plans to release his top schools next week. So will Texas make the cut? Right now, the Longhorns appear to be on the outskirts of that potential top group. We are still hearing that Oklahoma is the team to beat here with Texas A&M posing the biggest threat to the Sooners.

10 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Wow. This dude has his shit together. He’s looking at the situation in just the right way. Show a solid ground game and we can get him.