Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

honestly, even if there is a 0.1% chance you hire him it can't hurt to actually interview the guy. the worst case you can get a free "yeah, we may be interested in him for our OC position" interview

should he be an NFL HC? hell no.

but is there any downside for an NFL team to NOT take a shot on interviewing the guy? doubtful. can't hurt anything from the team's perspective...

Playing field would be equal in the NFL.  He would just need to be paired with a good GM and hire a decent DC.

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Playing field would be equal in the NFL.  He would just need to be paired with a good GM and hire a decent DC.

again, even if you have a 0.1% chance to hire the guy there is literally no downside to interviewing him as an NFL team

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Most people with half a brain or a lick of common sense moved on from Bru McCoy well over a month ago. 

The mouth breathers on IT, 24/7 and OB unfortunately are still posting "Happy Bru Year!"  picks on every recruiting thread. 

Edited by Newy25

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Most people with half a brain or a lick of common sense moved on from Bru McCoy well over a month ago. 

Well, except for those who are addicted to the crash of their own personal emotional rollercoasters. There's quite a thrill to be had by becoming suddenly depressed over the failure of emotional displacement fantasies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, except for those who are addicted to the crash of their own personal emotional rollercoasters. There's quite a thrill to be had by becoming suddenly depressed over the failure of emotional displacement fantasies.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So you're saying that all the people who holding their single, solitary torch for Bru McCoy are basically aggy? Shit man...that's some straight fire. 

Can't wait for the new fleet of grad transfer/JuCo/fallback offers now that the Sugar Bowl is over and the staff is back in ATX. Should give us something meaningful (aka not Bru) to talk about.

Random side question - what do they do with non-national-championship bowl trophies? I assume the Texas Bowl one is a doorstop, but the Sugar Bowl trophy is a pretty great historical artifact/recruiting tool. I remember seeing a picture of all of OU's Orange Bowl trophies full of new oranges for a recruiting event.

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Brandon Jones saying he was "liking what he heard" could be interpreted in a billion different ways. For all we know it could be he was getting a "go back to school" grade so now he knows to come back. 

We'll know his decision when the video announcement is released.  It's in production at Texags right now. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you're saying that all the people who holding their single, solitary torch for Bru McCoy are basically aggy? Shit man...that's some straight fire. 

Well, no, not exactly. There's levels of sophistication amongst the emotionally stunted, too. You can be pathetic and still be able to say that at least you aren't aggy.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can't wait for the new fleet of grad transfer/JuCo/fallback offers now that the Sugar Bowl is over and the staff is back in ATX. Should give us something meaningful (aka not Bru) to talk about.

Random side question - what do they do with non-national-championship bowl trophies? I assume the Texas Bowl one is a doorstop, but the Sugar Bowl trophy is a pretty great historical artifact/recruiting tool. I remember seeing a picture of all of OU's Orange Bowl trophies full of new oranges for a recruiting event.

In speaking with some people in the longhorn foundation, there has been lamentation about our showcasing of our trophy collection that is being shored up my CDC. She said that they literally have storage units that hold nothing but trophies UT has collected over the years, just rotting away. The intention by CDC is to bring much of that back into the new facility being constructed in the South Endzone and display all our great hardware for people to view. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

In speaking with some people in the longhorn foundation, there has been lamentation about our showcasing of our trophy collection that is being shored up my CDC. She said that they literally have storage units that hold nothing but trophies UT has collected over the years, just rotting away. The intention by CDC is to bring much of that back into the new facility being constructed in the South Endzone and display all our great hardware for people to view.  

Thanks! I remember on my recruiting visit how cool Cincinnati's display was and they're certainly miles from UT's level

University-of-Cincinnati-Triophy-Case-Ph

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I would assume it goes right next to our other Sugar Bowl trophy from 1/1/1948. I wonder what that one looks like.

We only need the Peach Bowl to round out the NY6. Based on current contracts we will have to get it in a national semifinal.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So like A&M's Hall of Champions except with, you know, actual championship trophies instead of empty space.

hall_of_champions.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

So like A&M's Hall of Champions except with, you know, actual championship trophies instead of empty space.

hall_of_champions.jpg

Ha. I almost made that joke myself, but didn't, knowing someone would come in here and crush that softball. 

In regards to Texifornia's post, I have no idea what our trophy case design would be, or if it's a whole hall of champions setup they're envisioning, I just know they said they had intention of pulling our shit out of storage and really making an impressive show of things. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I thought the trophy room was going in new Hall of Honor being built in the north end zone this offseason.

I'm assuming this is a joke that I'm completely missing?

If not, the tenor of my post should be interpreted more towards the fact that CDC is going something for our trophies and displaying them. I was only half paying attention when this was being discussed. But the point is they have tons of trophies in storage, and they intend to pull them out and really display them somewhere specific. I guess I just assumed it was a spot being built in the South End Zone?

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm assuming this is a joke that I'm completely missing?

If not, the tenor of my post should be interpreted more towards the fact that CDC is going something for our trophies and displaying them. I was only half paying attention when this was being discussed. But the point is they have tons of trophies in storage, and they intend to pull them out and really display them somewhere specific. I guess I just assumed it was a spot being built in the South End Zone?

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-longhorns-build-10-million-hall-honor-inside-dkr-january/

Del Conte said Tuesday he’s hired an architectural firm to design an UT-themed hall of honor that will take up 30,000 square feet inside the north end zone of Royal-Memorial Stadium. It’s a project just under $10 million, Del Conte said, and half the money has already been raised. Hammers, nails and sheetrock will fly after the 2018 football season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Perfect

UT does have some trophies on display on the seventh floor of Royal-Memorial Stadium’s north end zone, the floor for athletic department staff. That area is closed to the public on gameday, though. The four Waterford crystal footballs signifying UT’s national titles — and most other football trophies — are on display inside the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center beyond the south end zone. 

“We have plenty of trophies around the building, too, right?” Del Conte said. “But they’re on the seventh floor. There are some upstairs in storage on the 10th floor. There are some in the football offices, baseball offices and some scattered around. But we don’t have a central location.

“We have a lot of our older trophies that have been put in storage that we need to bring back.”

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Well, then there you go, I had the end zone wrong :) And the timeline. But you know, details, amirite? It was a pretty decent talking point from the foundation though. I actually hadn't seen anything announced.

Something else she said stands out in that article, however. The price tag being 10 million. She kept joking that CDC's favorite number is 10 million because if a project is 10 million or less, he can just do it without having to go to the board for approval. Hall of Honor? 10 million. New swimming facility 10 million. Was the baseball lab  also 10 million? Dude just wants to get shit done. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I would assume it goes right next to our other Sugar Bowl trophy from 1/1/1948. I wonder what that one looks like.

We only need the Peach Bowl to round out the NY6. Based on current contracts we will have to get it in a national semifinal.

here is what one from 1940 looks like (went to the Aggies, and this picture is the worst watermarked photo i have ever seen so i am putting it behind a spoiler

Spoiler

1.png