Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

39 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Kingsbury interviewing with the Jets and Cardinals.  Bru may be disappointed when he gets to USC.

www.yahoo.com/sports/sources-kliff-kingsbury-get-head-coaching-interviews-jets-cardinals-232458625.html

I would bet anybody any amount of money that Kingsbury leaves USC before Bru's eligibility is used up. 

In what world do you get shitcanned at Texas fucking Tech and then immediately get a head coaching job in the NFL?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thomas is a total project based on his body. No way he should be a 5 star. 

It would be one thing if he were 6'4 or 6'5, fat, and unathletic. But if you're 6'2, you better be a badass, not fat and unable to do anything at the second level or pass pro. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So I'm not expecting to see Bru in anything but a Trojan uniform, but what are the rules about voiding any LOI? I think you can if the Head Coach leaves, but could be wrong. What about if a coordinator leaves? Is there an ncaa rule or guideline? 

You can ask to get out of it, but you can't just auto-void it due to coaches leaving, has to be a medical hardship type of deal I think 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Per Super K

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2016/07/texas-freak-show/

Brandon Jones.., last, but not least, another uber-athlete on the defensive side of the ball at safety. Brandon, if needed, could excel at any defensive back position, but long term projects as a safety and is the most talented safety prospect since Earl Thomas to arrive on the 40 Acres. This kid’s a great person, great football player, and can flat-out fly, as he is a 4.3 40-yard runner himself and a tackling machine. Expect big things.

American-Dad-Principal-Lewis-fuck-yall-g

Do you have fucking eye balls or have you watched any Texas football this year? 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

O Really? That is some 4D Chess right there. Mensa

My heart wants to believe that this is someone from USC. My head is furiously trying to figure out which players have been in touch with him from our side. 

Cam is all I can figure. He said, “kids,” plural, in the quotation (if it is accurate). It is hard for me to imagine that Cam would say such things and then travel to the bowl. Who knows. I wrote our chances off long ago, but that is an odd statement for Bru to make.

19 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So I'm not expecting to see Bru in anything but a Trojan uniform, but what are the rules about voiding any LOI? I think you can if the Head Coach leaves, but could be wrong. What about if a coordinator leaves? Is there an ncaa rule or guideline? 

Here's the link to the NLI release process, but it's virtually never granted, for all intents and purposes, except in cases where the person really intends to stop playing sports.   Every once and awhile a player uses the sick parent bit to get out of an NLI, but it hasn't happened recently and I suspect it's because the org behind the NLI has dramatically tightened the sick family member requirements.  Also, McCoy is local, that eliminates 99.5% of the reasons he could ask for a an NLI release.

The thing to remember about the NLI is it binds the student to the financial aid package at the school in question, and vice versa.  The coach is irrelevent.  If you fail to attend the school, it's the financial aid package you give up, and are forced to sit out according to the terms of the NLI to get one from another school.  In theory, a student could attend another school at full tuition, then attempt to walk on, but to my knowledge that has never occurred.

I fell down this rabbit hole during Du'Vonta Lampkin (who got out of his NLI because Texas had a language requirement he did not meet even though he graduated legally, he failed summer school, forcing Texas to reject his academic acceptance and freeing him from the NLI).  At the time, Strong could have drawn out his NLI rejection to deny him fall acceptance at Oklahoma, but didn't.  At the time, I assumed it was because Strong choose to just let him walk in late August, but looking back, he probably fucked that up just like everything else detail oriented.

For the 1000x time:  If McCoy has signed with USC, we know and are no longer recruiting him. 

Edited by Bateshorn

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Here's the link to the NLI release process, but it's virtually never granted, for all intents and purposes, except in cases where the person really intends to stop playing sports.   Every once and awhile a player uses the sick parent bit to get out of an NLI, but it hasn't happened recently and I suspect it's because the org behind the NLI has dramatically tightened the sick family member requirements.

The thing to remember about the NLI is it binds the student to the financial aid package at the school in question, and vice versa.  The coach is irrelevent.  If you fail to attend the school, it's the financial aid package you give up, and are forced to sit out according to the terms of the NLI to get one from another school.  In theory, a student could attend another school at full tuition, then attempt to walk on, but to my knowledge that has never occurred.

I fell down this rabbit hole during Du'Vonta Lampkin (who got out of his NLI because Texas had a language requirement he did not meet even though he graduated legally, he failed summer school, forcing Texas to reject his academic acceptance and freeing him from the NLI).

For the 1000x time:  If McCoy has signed with USC, we know and are no longer recruiting him. 

Thanks. I guess I'm thinking about Baylor when Briles got fired,  but that was definitely extenuating circumstances. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If this keeps up - it will be really interesting to see if he drops a couple of spots (and loses his 5th star).

[Barton]We decided to bump Kardell Thomas into the top 10 nationally.  While his performance left a lot to be desired, he is committed to a SEC school and we know that they only take the best.  We trust LSU's judgement here.[/Simmons]

Just now, Machinator said:

Kardell Thomas is exactly the sort of take I hope that Orgeron fills up 30-50% of his classes with.

I posted on the other thread, but here were his measurements: 6'2 1/8, 356.8, 33 inch arms, 9 3/8 hands

Ndoma-Ogar was pretty close to these measurement IIRC.

Joe Cook talked to Bru McCoy today. TL;DR, don't get your hopes up.

With 22 signees inked into the class of 2019, the Texas staff can focus a ton of attention on its remaining unsigned targets.

One of the highest profile remaining targets is 2019 Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei WR Bru McCoy. 

A brief reset on McCoy: He attends a high school known for sending players to Southern Cal. Three members of USC’s 2018 class, including current Trojan starting QB JT Daniels, were McCoy’s teammates at Mater Dei. His current QB at Mater Dei, Bryce Young, is a member of USC’s 2020 class. McCoy is the son of a former tight end and a former volleyball player at Northern Illinois. He took his official visit to Texas to see the Longhorns defeat USC, and took his official visit to USC the weekend of December 14th.

McCoy made it clear Thursday he has not signed his Letter of Intent, and still speaks with both Texas and USC staffs every day. He did say he knows where he’s going.

“I made my mind up before I came out here,” McCoy said after All-American Bowl practice Thursday. “I made a point to do that. My mind’s made up. I’m solid on where I’m going. Now, it’s weird trying to play the game, still playing both sides in my head. I know where I’m going.”

During the actual All-American Bowl on Saturday, McCoy plans to announce his decision on-air. Before he does that, he said he plans to inform both the Texas and USC staffs of his decision on Friday. Once he announces, there will be no wavering.

“It’s done,” McCoy said. “Just for my sake, my family’s sake, we’re going to shut it down regardless. Peace of mind, and just kill it there.”

He admitted it would be a difficult task because of the tight relationships he’s built with all the coaches who have recruited him.

“It’s pretty gut-wrenching,” McCoy said. “For me, relationships are pretty important and honesty. I made sure I developed good relationships. These dudes walked into my house and looked me in the eye. They told me some things. That’s respect. You earn a certain level of respect for each other, and especially the coaches from Texas. It’s like a long distance relationship. You’ve got a school in the backyard, and then we’re on the phone all the time just trying to keep that relationship just as strong.”

McCoy’s comments showed that while he is making this decision with football as part of the process, each university’s off-the-field connections and accomplishments are also of great importance .

“For me, I wasn’t even really looking at football when it came down to the nitty gritty of deciding my school,” McCoy said. “I was looking at where do these degrees branch off to and how can I market myself well enough to where if football doesn’t work out or I get injured or something happens, I can fall back and legitimately work a job. Try to really make my way in the world outside of football.”

For a California kid with an emphasis on education and his own brand, a USC degree obviously offers benefits. As a result, the Longhorn coaches tried to show what a Texas degree and education offered.

“They showed me if I were to be from Austin, Texas, this is the way I would perceive Texas the same way I would being from LA and looking at SC,” McCoy said. “They gave me that whole background. They helped me understand the whole alumni network, how much fan support there is, the amount of love the fans have for the school, how they support you outside of football, and how the city of Austin stand behind the school.”

The hire of Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator at USC is likely a boost for someone who wants to play WR at the next level, but has the elite skills and athleticism to play linebacker at a high level as well. Receivers put up big number in his air-raid offense, and several rated lower than McCoy have gone on to NFL success.

However, there have been reports this week that despite recently heading to Los Angeles, Kingsbury could be a candidate for NFL head coaching vacancies with the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals.

That said, even if the current Trojans OC were to become the former Trojans OC after McCoy announced his decision, it wouldn’t alter his choice.

“I can’t even think about it,” McCoy said “I’ve got to understand it’s a business. It could happen anywhere. You can never know what will happen. There’s always scandals and stuff. Things happen all the time. Like I said, most important is education, getting the degree, and setting myself up beyond football. I know I thrive on the football field. I’ve got to see the way I thrive off the football field. That’s what I’m really going to college for.”

As far as whether or not he’ll sign, McCoy said he possibly could just enroll at the school he chooses. He said he hasn’t signed a Letter of Intent, any financial paperwork, or anything. The coaches from both staffs are on board with that.

“I’ve talked to both sides about it, and they’ve both said you can just enroll and we’ll figure that out once you’re here,” McCoy said. “Just get here.”

So now, McCoy will fulfill his final responsibilities as a high school athlete in the All-American Bowl before making his decision on NBC on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Joe Cook talked to Bru McCoy today. TL;DR, don't get your hopes up.

Reveal hidden contents

With 22 signees inked into the class of 2019, the Texas staff can focus a ton of attention on its remaining unsigned targets.

One of the highest profile remaining targets is 2019 Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei WR Bru McCoy. 

A brief reset on McCoy: He attends a high school known for sending players to Southern Cal. Three members of USC’s 2018 class, including current Trojan starting QB JT Daniels, were McCoy’s teammates at Mater Dei. His current QB at Mater Dei, Bryce Young, is a member of USC’s 2020 class. McCoy is the son of a former tight end and a former volleyball player at Northern Illinois. He took his official visit to Texas to see the Longhorns defeat USC, and took his official visit to USC the weekend of December 14th.

McCoy made it clear Thursday he has not signed his Letter of Intent, and still speaks with both Texas and USC staffs every day. He did say he knows where he’s going.

“I made my mind up before I came out here,” McCoy said after All-American Bowl practice Thursday. “I made a point to do that. My mind’s made up. I’m solid on where I’m going. Now, it’s weird trying to play the game, still playing both sides in my head. I know where I’m going.”

During the actual All-American Bowl on Saturday, McCoy plans to announce his decision on-air. Before he does that, he said he plans to inform both the Texas and USC staffs of his decision on Friday. Once he announces, there will be no wavering.

“It’s done,” McCoy said. “Just for my sake, my family’s sake, we’re going to shut it down regardless. Peace of mind, and just kill it there.”

He admitted it would be a difficult task because of the tight relationships he’s built with all the coaches who have recruited him.

“It’s pretty gut-wrenching,” McCoy said. “For me, relationships are pretty important and honesty. I made sure I developed good relationships. These dudes walked into my house and looked me in the eye. They told me some things. That’s respect. You earn a certain level of respect for each other, and especially the coaches from Texas. It’s like a long distance relationship. You’ve got a school in the backyard, and then we’re on the phone all the time just trying to keep that relationship just as strong.”

McCoy’s comments showed that while he is making this decision with football as part of the process, each university’s off-the-field connections and accomplishments are also of great importance .

“For me, I wasn’t even really looking at football when it came down to the nitty gritty of deciding my school,” McCoy said. “I was looking at where do these degrees branch off to and how can I market myself well enough to where if football doesn’t work out or I get injured or something happens, I can fall back and legitimately work a job. Try to really make my way in the world outside of football.”

For a California kid with an emphasis on education and his own brand, a USC degree obviously offers benefits. As a result, the Longhorn coaches tried to show what a Texas degree and education offered.

“They showed me if I were to be from Austin, Texas, this is the way I would perceive Texas the same way I would being from LA and looking at SC,” McCoy said. “They gave me that whole background. They helped me understand the whole alumni network, how much fan support there is, the amount of love the fans have for the school, how they support you outside of football, and how the city of Austin stand behind the school.”

The hire of Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator at USC is likely a boost for someone who wants to play WR at the next level, but has the elite skills and athleticism to play linebacker at a high level as well. Receivers put up big number in his air-raid offense, and several rated lower than McCoy have gone on to NFL success.

However, there have been reports this week that despite recently heading to Los Angeles, Kingsbury could be a candidate for NFL head coaching vacancies with the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals.

That said, even if the current Trojans OC were to become the former Trojans OC after McCoy announced his decision, it wouldn’t alter his choice.

“I can’t even think about it,” McCoy said “I’ve got to understand it’s a business. It could happen anywhere. You can never know what will happen. There’s always scandals and stuff. Things happen all the time. Like I said, most important is education, getting the degree, and setting myself up beyond football. I know I thrive on the football field. I’ve got to see the way I thrive off the football field. That’s what I’m really going to college for.”

As far as whether or not he’ll sign, McCoy said he possibly could just enroll at the school he chooses. He said he hasn’t signed a Letter of Intent, any financial paperwork, or anything. The coaches from both staffs are on board with that.

“I’ve talked to both sides about it, and they’ve both said you can just enroll and we’ll figure that out once you’re here,” McCoy said. “Just get here.”

So now, McCoy will fulfill his final responsibilities as a high school athlete in the All-American Bowl before making his decision on NBC on Saturday.

Welp

It's painful watching you guys twist into finding a way that McCoy could have come here, but for that danged OV and ESD compounding his temporary enthusiasm for USC. You've taken it to the point that you're now researching ways and precedent for bailing on a signed LOI. Holy shit. Y'all mocked the EJ Holland "he only knew at the podium" narrative with Cain, but now you're concocting that same premise for McCoy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In what world do you get shitcanned at Texas fucking Tech and then immediately get a head coaching job in the NFL?

honestly, even if there is a 0.1% chance you hire him it can't hurt to actually interview the guy. the worst case you can get a free "yeah, we may be interested in him for our OC position" interview

should he be an NFL HC? hell no.

but is there any downside for an NFL team to NOT take a shot on interviewing the guy? doubtful. can't hurt anything from the team's perspective...

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

this is reason #13989087129038476182973641980234091827349871263497612930481792034 that if you are a 5* player you should never sign an LOI - no coach is going to turn you down because you are hedging your bets if you are that good. plus it lets you get out of a Many Diaz situation or a situation where your position coach is fired/makes a lateral move to a better program/upgrades to a DC somewhere.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's painful watching you guys twist into finding a way that McCoy could have come here, but for that danged OV and ESD compounding his temporary enthusiasm for USC. You've taken it to the point that you're now researching ways and precedent for bailing on a signed LOI. Holy shit. Y'all mocked the EJ Holland "he only knew at the podium" narrative with Cain, but now you're concocting that same premise for McCoy.

As long as there is a demand for false hope, there will always be the supply. I cannot wait for him to commit to USC already so we can move on. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear:  I'm just passing along my knowledge of the NLI. Not having followed the recruiting until 3 weeks ago like most of the surl, and not having slept at a holiday inn, McCoy looks like a classic out of state "missed it by this much" kid.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't sign with USC.