Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

he was Lake Travis's LT the past two seasons. He is 6'3 ish and 270+. he projects to guard or center. good feet. nice technique. smart, hard worker. good strength but really needs to get a lot stronger moving forward. he is a big tough kid. he should be able to get to 300 pretty easily. his dad is a big dude too. i expected him to go to Rice or SMU or Houston and contribute after a few seasons in the SC program. i have coached him in baseball and football since he was in 1st grade. great kid. loves the Longhorns. accepted the PWO over smaller school scholarship offers. i expect him to offer depth at center or guard. he is also a long snapper. 

And hes the guy who bodyslammed Garret Wilson  when hentalked smack about the Horns!! 

Right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

he was Lake Travis's LT the past two seasons. He is 6'3 ish and 270+. he projects to guard or center. good feet. nice technique. smart, hard worker. good strength but really needs to get a lot stronger moving forward. he is a big tough kid. he should be able to get to 300 pretty easily. his dad is a big dude too. i expected him to go to Rice or SMU or Houston and contribute after a few seasons in the SC program. i have coached him in baseball and football since he was in 1st grade. great kid. loves the Longhorns. accepted the PWO over smaller school scholarship offers. i expect him to offer depth at center or guard. he is also a long snapper. 

My friends’ son made varsity as a sophomore at LT.  play OL. Named Judge Niland.  Any chance he’s a D1 talent?  

Eric Nahlin

Information seems to be mixed on whether or not Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy signed during the December window. It's either been hinted or reported elsewhere that he did sign, but from the UT point of view that doesn't seem to be the case. If Texas is right -- and I assume they're simply going by what the McCoy'shave told them -- then that's a positive because they needed the Georgia win to make one final push for him before he announces on Saturday at the All American game in San Antonio. I'm pretty confident he did not sign.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My friends’ son made varsity as a sophomore at LT.  play OL. Named Judge Niland.  Any chance he’s a D1 talent?  

yeah i do. i think he will start at RT next year and then LT the following. He has a good frame and is expected to get  bigger. his brother is 6'8 330 lbs and was at IMG for a while but went back to El Paso this past season. i dont think Judge will be that big. he is 6'2+  215 ish now but i wouldnt be surprised if he wound up 6'5 260 ish. Good feet and feel for the position. he did well for a soph on varsity this past season. that was a tough assignment but he worked hard and by season's end was doing a really nice job. needs to get a lot stronger. i think his college prospects will be governed by his size. if he gets 6'5 250ish then i think he is looking at P5/Texas type offers.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah i do. i think he will start at RT next year and then LT the following. He has a good frame and is expected to get  bigger. his brother is 6'8 330 lbs and was at IMG for a while but went back to El Paso this past season. i dont think Judge will be that big. he is 6'2+  215 ish now but i wouldnt be surprised if he wound up 6'5 260 ish. Good feet and feel for the position. he did well for a soph on varsity this past season. that was a tough assignment but he worked hard and by season's end was doing a really nice job. needs to get a lot stronger. i think his college prospects will be governed by his size. if he gets 6'5 250ish then i think he is looking at P5/Texas type offers.  

Holy shit. 6'8??

(E.J. Holland) AA Bowl Buzz: Intel on Bru McCoy, new DB target

— The Bru McCoy situation is just strange. The five-star athlete out of Mater Dei (Calif.) told reporters yesterday that he signed with the school of his choice — he did not specify if it was an NLI (binding) or AFA (non-binding) — and all the buzz I heard today was in favor of USC. However, this one isn’t completely dead just yet. Texas did converse with the McCoy family last night, and I’m told they did not give any indication that McCoy had signed an NLI. I’ve heard that there is some uneasiness with the McCoys and rumors of Kliff Kingsbury heading to the NFL. I also have reason to believe that McCoy himself exchanged messages with Texas as recent as yesterday.

— McCoy was not available for interviews this afternoon. He did not take part in the joint practice and was not in the Alamodome. Despite all the weirdness going on, I would definitely give USC the nod. I want to make that clear as I’m not trying to drum up suspense or get your hopes up, but there is still something here with Texas. And for that reason, I’m not changing my Crystal Ball… for now.

— Texas is taking a look at three-star Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (Calif.) athlete McKel Broussard as a potential nickel candidate. Texas is obviously still prioritizing Jalen Catalon, but with not much movement there as of late, Broussard could emerge as a more real target during the late period. Broussard is a cousin of Texas linebacker signee De’Gabriel Floyd and was at Stars at Night in the summer.

— There has been some chatter about Texas signee Jordan Whittington getting some time at running back after his state title game performance, and it’s definitely a possibility. Whittington was more open to the idea today and actually spoke with head coach Tom Herman about it a couple of days ago. Whittington still believes he’ll be primarily used as a slot receiver, but he also anticipates getting some carries. He likened himself to former Ohio State player Curtis Samuel, who played a similar role for the Buckeyes when Herman was the offensive coordinator there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

(E.J. Holland) AA Bowl Buzz: Intel on Bru McCoy, new DB target

Hide contents

— The Bru McCoy situation is just strange. The five-star athlete out of Mater Dei (Calif.) told reporters yesterday that he signed with the school of his choice — he did not specify if it was an NLI (binding) or AFA (non-binding) — and all the buzz I heard today was in favor of USC. However, this one isn’t completely dead just yet. Texas did converse with the McCoy family last night, and I’m told they did not give any indication that McCoy had signed an NLI. I’ve heard that there is some uneasiness with the McCoys and rumors of Kliff Kingsbury heading to the NFL. I also have reason to believe that McCoy himself exchanged messages with Texas as recent as yesterday.

— McCoy was not available for interviews this afternoon. He did not take part in the joint practice and was not in the Alamodome. Despite all the weirdness going on, I would definitely give USC the nod. I want to make that clear as I’m not trying to drum up suspense or get your hopes up, but there is still something here with Texas. And for that reason, I’m not changing my Crystal Ball… for now.

— Texas is taking a look at three-star Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (Calif.) athlete McKel Broussard as a potential nickel candidate. Texas is obviously still prioritizing Jalen Catalon, but with not much movement there as of late, Broussard could emerge as a more real target during the late period. Broussard is a cousin of Texas linebacker signee De’Gabriel Floyd and was at Stars at Night in the summer.

— There has been some chatter about Texas signee Jordan Whittington getting some time at running back after his state title game performance, and it’s definitely a possibility. Whittington was more open to the idea today and actually spoke with head coach Tom Herman about it a couple of days ago. Whittington still believes he’ll be primarily used as a slot receiver, but he also anticipates getting some carries. He likened himself to former Ohio State player Curtis Samuel, who played a similar role for the Buckeyes when Herman was the offensive coordinator there.

He too, reads the Surl.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

There is such a VY vibe in this video that I can't help but grin like the Cheshire Cat.

From the #10, to the insane natural talent, to the love of dancing and feeling the vibe, to the all business when it's go time (not saying that VY was a practice warrior, because I only saw him in games).

After USC went up by 12 on the TD pass that also resulted in Tarell Brown's broken arm, I was deflated, because for the first time all game, we were down TWO scores. Then, from my south/southwest End Zone seat, I looked up the Texas sideline and saw VY dancing, having fun, just waiting for the kickoff to go in and put on a show, and I got goosebumps all over my body and I softly said- 

"Oh... We're gonna win."

And then I had a huge grin and warm feeling spread over me, because I knew that VY was going to take over like he had the year before against Michigan.

That feeling is the same feeling I get watching De'Gabriel do his thang before and after he does his drill. Texas will have a VY on DEFENSE for the next 3 years.

YES!!!!!

Image result for draper stupid look

Also, I could definitely see Whittington doing Jalin Marshall-type things for us next year.

Mike Roach: Observations from AA Bowl practice

—It was a pretty light workout today for the All-American Bowl teams. The East and West met for a joint practice, and mostly spent their time working in 7v7 and one-on-one in the trenches. Texas signees Jordan Whittington, De’Gabriel Floyd and Tyler Owens all took part in the 7v7 portion.

—Whittington was the lone offensive player representing the Longhorns. He did all of his work from the slot position, but he was tough to shut down on underneath routes where he could get the ball quickly and gain huge yardage after the catch. Whittington showed elusiveness, quickness and great hands on the day as he accounted for several catches and a touchdown.

—The thing that jumps out with Whittington when seeing him up close is his explosion and acceleration. Whittington could go from standing still to top speed in a matter of steps, and that change of pace was giving the defense fits. Whittington showed off a delayed route where he would lull his defender to sleep and then burst past him for a big play.

—There has been some talk about Whittington playing at running back, but I think his best usage on offense is in the slot. Texas could still give him some carries from there, and he opens up the field more for the backs and quarterbacks in the run game.

—De'Gabriel Floyd showed up in great shape, and he didn’t disappoint once he hit the field for practice. Floyd’s strength is his physicality and ability to move in coverage at his size. He was constantly involved during the 7v7 portion breaking up passes and chasing down players headed to the boundary.

—Floyd is going to excel playing for Todd Orlando, and he should turn into someone that Big 12 offensive coordinators will need to gameplan for. Floyd’s athleticism and speed won’t relegate him to a two-down role, but he will also provide a presence plugging and scraping from the middle and rocketing through the interior line on blitzes.

—Another thing that stood out is the respect that Floyd garners from other players. We had the chance to see him at The Opening, and it was the same way. Players are drawn to him because they know he can walk the walk. He carries the confidence needed to progress as a leader on the field and in the locker room.

—Tyler Owens was also slimmed down since the last time I saw him. He showed great movement ability and flipped his hips very well when transitioning to deeper routes. Owens is an elite athlete who is still learning the finer points of the game, but he’s grown quite a bit over the year.

—One area where Owens still struggles is getting lost in coverage. There were several times he ran with an underneath receiver while letting another player get behind the defense for a big gain. Owens didn’t spend much time in deep coverage in high school, so he will need time with Craig Naivar to sharpen the mental side.

—When Owens does make the right read, he usually changes the play. Owens broke up several passes today with his burst and length, and he came away with an interception during the 7v7 portion. Combine that with his size, speed and hitting ability, and you have the potential to grow an elite playmaker on the back end.
3COMMENTS

—File the name McKel Broussard away. The three-star defensive back from Sherman Oaks (Ca.) Notre Dame visited Austin during the summer, and he is cousins with Floyd. Broussard played on both sides of the ball during practice, but he looked his best at safety. Broussard is quick and instinctive, and he came away with a few pass break ups and an interception in 7v7.

—Five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy did not participate in today’s practice and was not present.

— The Bru McCoy situation is just strange. The five-star athlete out of Mater Dei (Calif.) told reporters yesterday that he signed with the school of his choice — he did not specify if it was an NLI (binding) or AFA (non-binding) — and all the buzz I heard today was in favor of USC. However, this one isn’t completely dead just yet. Texas did converse with the McCoy family last night, and I’m told they did not give any indication that McCoy had signed an NLI. I’ve heard that there is some uneasiness with the McCoys and rumors of Kliff Kingsbury heading to the NFL. I also have reason to believe that McCoy himself exchanged messages with Texas as recent as yesterday.

Let me translate these three sentences. 

1. He signed his LOI

2. It is USC

3. But I’m going to drag this shit out because I have to write something down on these articles 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Observations from AA Bowl practice

Reveal hidden contents

—It was a pretty light workout today for the All-American Bowl teams. The East and West met for a joint practice, and mostly spent their time working in 7v7 and one-on-one in the trenches. Texas signees Jordan Whittington, De’Gabriel Floyd and Tyler Owens all took part in the 7v7 portion.

—Whittington was the lone offensive player representing the Longhorns. He did all of his work from the slot position, but he was tough to shut down on underneath routes where he could get the ball quickly and gain huge yardage after the catch. Whittington showed elusiveness, quickness and great hands on the day as he accounted for several catches and a touchdown.

—The thing that jumps out with Whittington when seeing him up close is his explosion and acceleration. Whittington could go from standing still to top speed in a matter of steps, and that change of pace was giving the defense fits. Whittington showed off a delayed route where he would lull his defender to sleep and then burst past him for a big play.

—There has been some talk about Whittington playing at running back, but I think his best usage on offense is in the slot. Texas could still give him some carries from there, and he opens up the field more for the backs and quarterbacks in the run game.

—De'Gabriel Floyd showed up in great shape, and he didn’t disappoint once he hit the field for practice. Floyd’s strength is his physicality and ability to move in coverage at his size. He was constantly involved during the 7v7 portion breaking up passes and chasing down players headed to the boundary.

—Floyd is going to excel playing for Todd Orlando, and he should turn into someone that Big 12 offensive coordinators will need to gameplan for. Floyd’s athleticism and speed won’t relegate him to a two-down role, but he will also provide a presence plugging and scraping from the middle and rocketing through the interior line on blitzes.

—Another thing that stood out is the respect that Floyd garners from other players. We had the chance to see him at The Opening, and it was the same way. Players are drawn to him because they know he can walk the walk. He carries the confidence needed to progress as a leader on the field and in the locker room.

—Tyler Owens was also slimmed down since the last time I saw him. He showed great movement ability and flipped his hips very well when transitioning to deeper routes. Owens is an elite athlete who is still learning the finer points of the game, but he’s grown quite a bit over the year.

—One area where Owens still struggles is getting lost in coverage. There were several times he ran with an underneath receiver while letting another player get behind the defense for a big gain. Owens didn’t spend much time in deep coverage in high school, so he will need time with Craig Naivar to sharpen the mental side.

—When Owens does make the right read, he usually changes the play. Owens broke up several passes today with his burst and length, and he came away with an interception during the 7v7 portion. Combine that with his size, speed and hitting ability, and you have the potential to grow an elite playmaker on the back end.
3COMMENTS

—File the name McKel Broussard away. The three-star defensive back from Sherman Oaks (Ca.) Notre Dame visited Austin during the summer, and he is cousins with Floyd. Broussard played on both sides of the ball during practice, but he looked his best at safety. Broussard is quick and instinctive, and he came away with a few pass break ups and an interception in 7v7.

—Five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy did not participate in today’s practice and was not present.

Bru had to go clear out his SC dorm and drive all his shit to Austin. Duh.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So you are the one that believes bulletin board material actually makes a difference.  

It definitely gives players something else to get motivated by. LJ Humphrey said as much about the nonstop disrespect we got leading into our game against UGA.

20 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:
His troll game is always on point. It’s like having a surlster actually on the team for quotes. 

Better than Hagers "what time is it?" In front of cameras? Lulz,

That was a solid take by the golden one. Not sure why it even got him in hot water. Last I check, the truth was still an absolute defense. 

If Mgapi can keep from labeling himself a “destructive back,” he’ll be OK. 

• Like 1

Can someone please explain why people credit TFloss every time they post his regurgitated info over here? Nobody gives a shit that TFloss posted it, everyone knows that he just stole it from somewhere else. Here, like this:

Some 247 info -

EJ is convinced that Texas and Bru have been in communication, so he's thinking Bru has not sent in an NLI to USC.

Also reporting that Card and Lindberg have been rooming together at the UA Future50 event and invited Zach Evans to watch the Sugar Bowl last night. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Can someone please explain why people credit TFloss every time they post his regurgitated info over here? Nobody gives a shit that TFloss posted it, everyone knows that he just stole it from somewhere else. Here, like this:

Some 247 info -

EJ is convinced that Texas and Bru have been in communication, so he's thinking Bru has not sent in an NLI to USC.

Also reporting that Card and Lindberg have been rooming together at the UA Future50 event and invited Zach Evans to watch the Sugar Bowl last night. 

Since you’re into doing things the right way, half of that info doesn’t belong on this thread. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Some 247 info -

I think it's useful in knowing that it's paraphrased and summarized information as opposed to copied verbatim from the source. Meaning gets lost in translation.