Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT: Bru and Randomness

Spoiler

Information seems to be mixed on whether or not Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy signed during the December window. It's either been hinted or reported elsewhere that he did sign, but from the UT point of view that doesn't seem to be the case. If Texas is right -- and I assume they're simply going by what the McCoy's have told them -- then that's a positive because they needed the Georgia win to make one final push for him before he announces on Saturday at the All American game in San Antonio. I'm pretty confident he did not sign.

Texas held a lead in this recruitment even into December and after his in-home visit with Kliff Kingsbury. However, the official visit to Southern Cal had the predictable effect of pushing momentum in SC's favor. Mater Dei is a USC pipeline school and two of USC's best players are close friends with McCoy. As @HelmetBoy correctly opined, UT had the misfortune of getting in good with the one guy at Mater Dei, and in Southern California in general, not turned off by the Clay Helton era. 

Along with the big Sugar Bowl victory, Texas could benefit from continued Kliff Kingsbury rumors. It's possible that Kingsbury could end up elsewhere. If so, that instability would reinforce concerns the McCoy's have had about the Trojans program. 

[you know what gif goes here]

Of course Texas will use that victory as a selling point to Deondrick Glass. I'm looking forward to catching up with his father later today. There are similaritities to Glass' and Tre Watson's styles of running and opportunity abounds next season. 

And yes, Jalen Catalon will be made well aware of the differences in trajectories between Arkansas, TCU, and Texas. Justin received one of the best quotes of the cycle regarding that recruitment but that's for the post-NSD2 Aftermath piece. 

Should Texas miss on Glass that would bring Newton's Darwin Barlow into clearer view. I asked a TCU source what he thought about him. "I think Barlow has it all. Total package at RB. Only thing I don't know is how quickly he will learn it but RB is a pretty easy position to pick up in our offense. Figured UT would be on him harder by now." 

Right after one of those Watson runs around end my phone buzzed from my Dallas SOC coaching buddy. This guy has never really respected the Texas football program. He's one of many that has criticized Texas for being soft. He's tough to impress which makes me value his opinion even more. "This UT team under Herman is very different. Doesn't run out of bounds (copping out of contact). Finishing ball carriers. Waayyy different. That's a culture thing."

Since we were communicating I asked him about his defensive end Stephen Parker. The former Tech commit opened his recruitment up when Matt Wells didn't keep former SOC HC Emmett Jones. "He has UCLA, Nebraska, and Kansas left for visits. I don't think he's going to TCU. Kansas is the last one and that says something to me." Les Miles hired Jones at Kansas. UT has shown interest in Parker, with Herman even going to see him, but he seemed next up if Texas didn't sign Myron Warren.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Reveal hidden contents

Information seems to be mixed on whether or not Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy signed during the December window. It's either been hinted or reported elsewhere that he did sign, but from the UT point of view that doesn't seem to be the case. If Texas is right -- and I assume they're simply going by what the McCoy's have told them -- then that's a positive because they needed the Georgia win to make one final push for him before he announces on Saturday at the All American game in San Antonio. I'm pretty confident he did not sign.

Texas held a lead in this recruitment even into December and after his in-home visit with Kliff Kingsbury. However, the official visit to Southern Cal had the predictable effect of pushing momentum in SC's favor. Mater Dei is a USC pipeline school and two of USC's best players are close friends with McCoy. As @HelmetBoy correctly opined, UT had the misfortune of getting in good with the one guy at Mater Dei, and in Southern California in general, not turned off by the Clay Helton era. 

Along with the big Sugar Bowl victory, Texas could benefit from continued Kliff Kingsbury rumors. It's possible that Kingsbury could end up elsewhere. If so, that instability would reinforce concerns the McCoy's have had about the Trojans program. 

Of course Texas will use that victory as a selling point to Deondrick Glass. I'm looking forward to catching up with his father later today. There are similaritities to Glass' and Tre Watson's styles of running and opportunity abounds next season. 

And yes, Jalen Catalon will be made well aware of the differences in trajectories between Arkansas, TCU, and Texas. Justin received one of the best quotes of the cycle regarding that recruitment but that's for the post-NSD2 Aftermath piece. 

Should Texas miss on Glass that would bring Newton's Darwin Barlow into clearer view. I asked a TCU source what he thought about him. "I think Barlow has it all. Total package at RB. Only thing I don't know is how quickly he will learn it but RB is a pretty easy position to pick up in our offense. Figured UT would be on him harder by now." 

Right after one of those Watson runs around end my phone buzzed from my Dallas SOC coaching buddy. This guy has never really respected the Texas football program. He's one of many that has criticized Texas for being soft. He's tough to impress which makes me value his opinion even more. "This UT team under Herman is very different. Doesn't run out of bounds (copping out of contact). Finishing ball carriers. Waayyy different. That's a culture thing."

Since we were communicating I asked him about his defensive end Stephen Parker. The former Tech commit opened his recruitment up when Matt Wells didn't keep former SOC HC Emmett Jones. "He has UCLA, Nebraska, and Kansas left for visits. I don't think he's going to TCU. Kansas is the last one and that says something to me." Les Miles hired Jones at Kansas. UT has shown interest in Parker, with Herman even going to see him, but he seemed next up if Texas didn't sign Myron Warren.

Shameful. Just shameful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Washington supposedly has as well, and they said Rojo looked a lot better on day 3.  Haven't seen anything on Gbenda or Liebrock.

Liebrock had a deep corner catch from Roschon earlier, the only mention I've seen 

Is Donovan Jackson Dontavious’s younger brother?  If so, he will go to the highest bidder just like Dontavious.  To refresh peoples memory, Dontavious signed up to play for Jimbo and was recruited by Brewster.  That was one dirty recruitment.  Hope he’s enjoying being a door mat at FSU.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

uuuuughh...

IT

Q: Any new randomness on Shepherd? Any other OL targets out there or are they just gonna scour the grad transfer market? 

EN: Latest on Shepherd I’ve heard is he’ll likely stick but I won’t make any bold predictions one way or the other.

Every avenue is on the table for o-line recruiting.

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

This guy is 100% CB to aggy...would be hilarious to watch aggy say he sucked anyway if he comes to play for the good guys:

OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal (2021) — “I can’t say I saw this coming. This was definitely a wake up call to reevaluate my recruitment. I always thought of Texas highly, but this is a win that I needed to reassure myself in what Coach (Tom) Herman is building.”

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When you see “Bellaire Episcopal” as the school for a recruit, you should assume that Slick Willie Lyles is involved, and all that that entails. 

"Bellaire Episcopal" is the closest thing in Texas to one of the SoCal Catholic Schools. They have their wealthy students who fill the school's website and then they have their recruited D-1 football players to fill out the football team's roster.

If they are a top D-1 player, then they absolutely were recruited, are on a full ride (save for Walker Little) financial aid setup, and were paid to go there in the first place. There is no reason for them to take money to play at a high school, where football loses money, and then NOT take money to choose a college, where football is a multi-million dollar asset to the top schools.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There is such a VY vibe in this video that I can't help but grin like the Cheshire Cat.

From the #10, to the insane natural talent, to the love of dancing and feeling the vibe, to the all business when it's go time (not saying that VY was a practice warrior, because I only saw him in games).

After USC went up by 12 on the TD pass that also resulted in Tarell Brown's broken arm, I was deflated, because for the first time all game, we were down TWO scores. Then, from my south/southwest End Zone seat, I looked up the Texas sideline and saw VY dancing, having fun, just waiting for the kickoff to go in and put on a show, and I got goosebumps all over my body and I softly said- 

"Oh... We're gonna win."

And then I had a huge grin and warm feeling spread over me, because I knew that VY was going to take over like he had the year before against Michigan.

That feeling is the same feeling I get watching De'Gabriel do his thang before and after he does his drill. Texas will have a VY on DEFENSE for the next 3 years.

YES!!!!!

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Is Donovan Jackson Dontavious’s younger brother?  If so, he will go to the highest bidder just like Dontavious.  To refresh peoples memory, Dontavious signed up to play for Jimbo and was recruited by Brewster.  That was one dirty recruitment.  Hope he’s enjoying being a door mat at FSU.  

It wasn't.  Kid needed to get out of state as he had a not so great crowd around him.  He was leaning going out of state the entire time despite the reports from $9.95'ers here that he was leaning Texas.  Don't know for sure, but I don't think that one was dirty.

4 hours ago, lulz said:

Clemson has super-low attrition, though - so their talent level is higher than their recruiting rankings suggest (because they have smaller classes). I think they are at a different level than other non-Bama contenders.

EDIT: low attrition also means mature players that have had more time to grow in their system

By "grow," you mean "take steroids."

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fuck that - I'm not even reading the hidden contents posted here that fucking liar.  How many times does he need to be wrong with one kids recruitment before he fucking stops?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deech said:

Fuck that - I'm not even reading the hidden contents posted here that fucking liar.  How many times does he need to be wrong with one kids recruitment before he fucking stops?

make-it-rain-dollars.gif

side note, your avatar makes me laugh 100% of the time i see it. RIP THujone's MS Paint artwork :(

Edited by NoName

Wiltfong: "Among a very talented roster, Texas commit Tyler Owens unique to his peers, fluid, rangy and obviously very fast. College ready frame too, will push a talented Longhorns secondary right away."

247 mod Charles Power: "Tyler Owens has impressed Barton and I, he's obviously one of the more impressive guys here from a physical standpoint, but he's making plays in coverage as well. I know some have had questions about his actual football skills, but he's checked that box quite well thus far."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, deech said:

It wasn't.  Kid needed to get out of state as he had a not so great crowd around him.  He was leaning going out of state the entire time despite the reports from $9.95'ers here that he was leaning Texas.  Don't know for sure, but I don't think that one was dirty.

It was dirty

53 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There is such a VY vibe in this video that I can't help but grin like the Cheshire Cat.

From the #10, to the insane natural talent, to the love of dancing and feeling the vibe, to the all business when it's go time (not saying that VY was a practice warrior, because I only saw him in games).

After USC went up by 12 on the TD pass that also resulted in Tarell Brown's broken arm, I was deflated, because for the first time all game, we were down TWO scores. Then, from my south/southwest End Zone seat, I looked up the Texas sideline and saw VY dancing, having fun, just waiting for the kickoff to go in and put on a show, and I got goosebumps all over my body and I softly said- 

"Oh... We're gonna win."

And then I had a huge grin and warm feeling spread over me, because I knew that VY was going to take over like he had the year before against Michigan.

That feeling is the same feeling I get watching De'Gabriel do his thang before and after he does his drill. Texas will have a VY on DEFENSE for the next 3 years.

YES!!!!!

Yeah and iirc , the first Off. play after the kickoff was a sack or big loss. I was really feeling the doom and gloom.  But alas VY saved the night.

1 hour ago, deech said:

It was. He had some type of handler that went with him on all the visits. At one point there were discussions of if Jackson even had a spot at Texas because Strong didn't want to deal with the handler. 

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

he was Lake Travis's LT the past two seasons. He is 6'3 ish and 270+. he projects to guard or center. good feet. nice technique. smart, hard worker. good strength but really needs to get a lot stronger moving forward. he is a big tough kid. he should be able to get to 300 pretty easily. his dad is a big dude too. i expected him to go to Rice or SMU or Houston and contribute after a few seasons in the SC program. i have coached him in baseball and football since he was in 1st grade. great kid. loves the Longhorns. accepted the PWO over smaller school scholarship offers. i expect him to offer depth at center or guard. he is also a long snapper. 

Do you know which smaller schools gave him scholarship offers?

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

he was Lake Travis's LT the past two seasons. He is 6'3 ish and 270+. he projects to guard or center. good feet. nice technique. smart, hard worker. good strength but really needs to get a lot stronger moving forward. he is a big tough kid. he should be able to get to 300 pretty easily. his dad is a big dude too. i expected him to go to Rice or SMU or Houston and contribute after a few seasons in the SC program. i have coached him in baseball and football since he was in 1st grade. great kid. loves the Longhorns. accepted the PWO over smaller school scholarship offers. i expect him to offer depth at center or guard. he is also a long snapper. 

this is what winning does.  he may prob never play a game.  or he may grown into a fucking mauler.   but the fact that he would rather walk on to join this team than accept a full ride playing somewhere else says everything about the program's trajectory.

winning, it pays dividends.

• Like 1

Great news about being a long snapper with his size. He could forge an nfl career out of just doing that like Cullen Loeffler.

9 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Great news about being a long snapper with his size. He could forge an nfl career out of just doing that like Cullen Loeffler.

Cullen lives in Austin area..... might be great to have him stop by and offer a few tips to the HORNS long snappers....

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Nice to hear he's open to snaps at RB position.....

If he ends up being our 2nd RB in the class I would be ecstatic. Frees up Jake Smith and Josh Moore to battle for snaps behind LJ and Duvernay and saves us from taking a 5th or 6th option at RB to take up a scholarship next year.