Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know man. I mean, Rivals fucking sucks a pulsing, giant donkey dick. But looking at that 247 list isn't exactly making me feel great about their individual rankings. Whittington is way off the other services there, as are Kenyatta Watson and motherfucking Jake Smith, who doesn't even crack the 150 and likely wont since he was out for the all star games. We've beaten their hilarious bad ranking of Roschon to death at this point, but Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ it's still hysterically bad. And Marcus Washington, Under Armour MVP says hello as well from 300 spots back. Just fucking horrible. 

Washington barely cracking the top 500 on the 24/7 rankings is fucking hilarious. 

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Washington barely cracking the top 500 on the 24/7 rankings is fucking hilarious. 

He was much highly ranked. This is a guy that started the year in the top 50 prospects.  Had committable offers from bama, osu, Texas all with a bunch of others.  Barton Simmons saw him in a camp.  Washington was injured but still participated and still won WR MVP at the camp.  Barton dropped him like 400 spots after the camp.  

This is why these guys work shitty jobs as recruiting analysts and not for recruiting staffs for actual schools.  They have no idea how to evaluate players.  Saban, Meyer, Herman all thought this guy was worthy of an offer but Barton Simmons dumbass takes one camp and drops him bc he didn’t like his speed in the drills lmao.  

Edited by victory88

That’s why, although I love having highly rated classes, I’m more concerned with the coaches getting the guys they want. I learned my lesson after Burton talked shit about LJH being a bad take and EJ talking shit about Rondale Moore in comparison to Waddle. 

Herman and his staff have proved themselves time and time again that they know wtf they’re doing in regards to evaluating talent.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

So let me get this straight...in our receiving class we have:

Gatorade player of the year

UA All-American game MVP

....AND The Texas high school record holder for rushing yards in a title game?

Yeah, I’m good with that.

FIFY

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

TFloss with stuff from OB on Buechele and Winter Conditioning 

Hide contents

OrangeBloods saying a rumor they've heard this week is QB Shane Buechele is looking at transferring to SMU for his final year of eligibility.

However, he's not entered the NCAA's transfer portal and hasn't indicated to anyone that he intends on leaving.

///

Per OrangeBloods, winter conditioning is scheduled to begin on January 22nd when the spring semester starts.

Shane is set to follow Orlando as he takes the new HC position. 

- Chip Brown the night before NSD2

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Shane is set to follow Orlando as he takes the new HC position. 

- Chip Brown the night before NSD2

I actually think there's a non-zero chance that Herman is grooming Shane for a coaching position on Herman's staff.  And, frankly, if that's going to happen, Shane spending a year or two in the Air Raid would be a pretty good use of his time.  Then bring Shane back and bolt on some of the useful concepts of that system into Herman's offense.

54 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

That’s why, although I love having highly rated classes, I’m more concerned with the coaches getting the guys they want. I learned my lesson after Burton talked shit about LJH being a bad take and EJ talking shit about Rondale Moore in comparison to Waddle. 

Herman and his staff have proved themselves time and time again that they know wtf they’re doing in regards to evaluating talent.

This. There is a danger of falling into the “we’re not cfb coaches so we need to defer to those who are” way of thinking, but the data so far seem to support that Herman makes much better talent evaluations than most in the 995 crowd do.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

LJH was the rare excellent Strong eval, to be fair

That's a little uncharitable.  Other guys who weren't super highly-ranked who were big time eval hits:  Deshon Elliott, Poona, Omenihu, Collin Johnson (if CS can actually take credit for that), Connor Williams, E-Rod, Wilbon, Roach.

But it is true that his list of misses is a much longer list.

• Like 3

So it'll either be Spencer "Bangin' in the Boys Room" Rattler or Old Testament Prophet Tanner Mordecai starting at QB for OU. A true freshman or a redshirt freshman against Sam. Yeah, I like our chances. 

OU is replacing guys and then some at the skill positions, but those OL don't grow on trees. OU's OL will always be good with Bedenbaugh there, but they won't be 2018 good. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

That's a little uncharitable.  Other guys who weren't super highly-ranked who were big time eval hits:  Deshon Elliott, Poona, Omenihu, Collin Johnson (if CS can actually take credit for that), Connor Williams, E-Rod, Wilbon, Roach.

Some of these guys were top 250. Some were great evals. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So it'll either be Spencer "Bangin' in the Boys Room" Rattler or Old Testament Prophet Tanner Mordecai starting at QB for OU. A true freshman or a redshirt freshman against Sam. Yeah, I like our chances. 

OU is replacing guys and then some at the skill positions, but those OL don't grow on trees. OU's OL will always be good with Bedenbaugh there, but they won't be 2018 good. 

Super K thinks it'll be Mordecai this year, and he seems to have a good beat on OU

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Rivals has Roschon as stock falling after this week, cause, you know, Rivals. 

They're just now figuring out that he doesn't have a good arm, which 247 figured out this time last year at the UA Future 50 event

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

7ce6836726eb9d5202925ea011a04248272d8c10

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I actually think there's a non-zero chance that Herman is grooming Shane for a coaching position on Herman's staff.  And, frankly, if that's going to happen, Shane spending a year or two in the Air Raid would be a pretty good use of his time.  Then bring Shane back and bolt on some of the useful concepts of that system into Herman's offense.

I have thought the same thing.

If Shane wants to stay in football and coach that would be an excellent path for him to complete his degree, get experience and be on the road to being a HC.  

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I mean, my "fanboi bullshit" consists of Shane transferring out for two years, so it's not that rosy.

"consists *partly* of ..." and it also consists of him becoming an air raid aficionado and demonstrably incorporating that back into Herman's offense as a young and functional assistant coach. Like I typed, I'm all for y'all being correct, but it's more make-believe than plausible.

Love 9.95ers accuracy.... "OrangeBloods saying a rumor they've heard this week is QB Shane Buechele is looking at transferring to SMU for his final year of eligibility."

Dumbasses.... Shane has 2 years of eligibility remaining due to Redshirting this Season....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

DeShon was a top 20 player and the best or 2nd best safety instate.  He was highly ranked.  So was Collin.  He was a 4 star prospect that just didn’t go to any camps.  His rating would have been higher if he did.  Poona was a 4 star DL.  

All 3 of those guys had lots of P5 offers.  I do agree with the rest.  Roach, Omenihu, Wilbon, Nelson. Williams, E Rod, Shack, LJH were great evaluations.  Those were guys that had good size but needed to reshape their bodies and develop technique wise to play at a high level.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Agree..... Once a kid is on Campus, who gives a shit how high he was rated if he ends up a bust for whatever reason.

Successful recruiting is more about evaluating talent, potential and coachability correctly..... then developing the Kids into productive quality players that raise the Team to an Elite level....

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

All of the freshmen OL, plus Ojomo and Coburn. Nice. 

And Okafor and Burt. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Finally, common sense roster management.

Thank God the days of burning shirts for one game for guys like Tyrone Swoopes and Denzel Okafor are gone. The new rules definitely make that sort of thing easier but both Brown and Strong did some made some mindnumbingly stupid roster management decisions.

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mordecai seems to be the consensus from the OU people. 

Mordecai is a pretty good player, but there is nothing dynamic about him. He has a little mobility and pretty good accuracy, but he's not Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but he doesn't scare me at all, either.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Word is dele might get passed up and be q depth player 

It could happen. Herman's job is to recruit a player better than you ever year. The player's job is too prove him wrong. LB depth chart will be young and inexperienced, but plenty talented.

ILB - Dele, Overshown, Johnson, Floyd, Tillman, and Gbenda

BLB - McCulloch, Ossai, Hobbs

Personally I thinking the starters coming out of spring will be

MAC - Dele

ROV - Overshown

B - Ossai

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Mordecai is a pretty good player, but there is nothing dynamic about him. He has a little mobility and pretty good accuracy, but he's not Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but he doesn't scare me at all, either.

I'll take that. At this point, Josh Heupel/Jason White  level QB play would be welcome at OU.