Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, LTtxfan said:

How can NFL start a player out in "The Program" if said player has never failed an NFL drug test??

Just seems like privacy laws would NOT ALLOW anything from college tests to be used in NFL.  Any decent attorney would not allow a player like LJH to start out in NFL with any restrictions.....

Because it is part of the CBA and that trumps a lot of shit that normally would not fly.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because it is part of the CBA and that trumps a lot of shit that normally would not fly.

Seems like a good labor attorney could make sure a player like LJH gets a clean slate when they start in NFL... Don't have to start in "The Program"

Edited by LTtxfan

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding the class size, this staff spread word around that they were going to take a small class in a previous class (2018 I think), when it made zero sense when the roster numbers were studied from the outside. Then we ended up taking a bigger class. I'm not sure if they lied for whatever reason (I had some theories at the time for them lying), or actually planned on taking a smaller class early and later changed their mind. 

I wonder if we're seeing this happen again.

It's possible that Herman sees value in keeping guys in the program and getting older. 

Regarding LJH's issues, yes the NFL tests are scheduled, but if you're in "the program", the test are actually random and frequent. Failed NFL drug tests get you into the program, but some players actually start out in the program if they had big failed test problems in college, so there's not always a way to hide from it if you have issues 

Staff says " small class" as grease to push guys to commit early to save their spot. 

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

The IT guys heard high teens for this class awhile back, fwiw

I'm hoping they at least approach mid 20s, otherwise some DUDES will get left out of this class 

Is there some 4yr rolling limit on number of recruits that can be taken?? 

Just wondering where the "high teens" number is coming from besides smaller Senior Class.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazy math on 2019 Class Size previously posted from comments of Will Blazier:

The NCAA limit for class size in FBS is 25 players. However, up to five early enrollees are allowed to count toward the previous class.

The NCAA allows FBS schools 85 scholarship players on a roster. By my count, Texas currently sits at 77 scholarship players.

19 count toward 2015
18 count toward 2016
20 count toward 2017
21 count toward 2018.

Texas in the 2018 class had 27 enrollees, lost OG Mikey Grandy, and had nine early enrollees (only five count toward 2017). That means the 2018 class takes up 21 spots (as shown above).

Texas will be losing 17 scholarship players due to graduation.

85 scholarships – (77 scholarships – 17 scholarships) = 27 scholarships.

However, you’re only allowed 25 scholarships. So Texas can fill up the 25 scholarship spots and then have four early enrollees to count towards the 2018 class to fill that up to 25 scholarship spots.

Therefore, Texas’ max class size this year would be 29 with four early enrollees. This gives Texas room for nine more commits.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Seems like a good labor attorney could make sure a player like LJH gets a clean slate when they start in NFL... Don't have to start in "The Program"

This take is VERY VERY wrong. See my 2 posts at the bottom of the last page. You don't even have to fail a test to be placed in the program. No person or law will stop Mooby's PR campaign 

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Something else that hit me. Shepherd is part of the numbers count on the staff side. So, yeah, 28 seems like a lot to get to if you're not huffing the Shepherd farts the way the staff is.

Even if he signs with us, I don’t even really count him on the roster anyway. The guy has the bust potential of Ryan Perriloux and Fred Rouse all rolled up into one. 

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Speaking of Shepherd, is he still set to OV to aggy next weekend or will he bail on them once again?  I remember Coburn was supposedly set to OV to aggy this time last year before NSD2 and never did.

Does he ov us before signing day is the real question 

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does anyone really think if LJH sticks around UT, fails another drug test and gets suspended 4 or 8 games, that he NFL isnt going to know why and act accordingly? Didnt Holton Hill start in the NFLs program?

He failed a test at the combine. Hence the undrafted result

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm so happy about Gbenda. Recruitniks and 9.95ers pooh-poohed our pursuit at the time. He's been a player from the start. 

Agree. Plus, all the Aggie talk about them not being interested and they ain't got shit for LBs in their class or returning next year. Aggie gonna Aggie

2 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

What's EJs final update on Bru that he posted about an hour ago?

"I talked to a close source regarding if Bru actually signed his NLI, they said he had but was crying and choked up as he did because it was so close between Texas and USC. He then went on to say Bru wiped his tears with the panties of a Song Girl and then left to do blow in a bathroom with Matt Leinert" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

"I talked to a close source regarding if Bru actually signed his NLI, they said he had but was crying and choked up as he did because it was so close between Texas and USC. He then went on to say Bru wiped his tears with the panties of a Song Girl and then left to do blow in a bathroom with Matt Leinert" 

Hmm . . . that seems fake.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Maybe LJH would be wise to wait a year for the NFL to finally revise their draconian policy on cannabis?

I just looked up the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and it expires AFTER the 2020 NFL season.

Even if he stays, he will have 1 year in the NFL under that agreement.

I think that it is a foregone conclusion that the NFL will no longer test for THC in the coming CBA, but they will hold it over the players heads to get some other concession. (Not sure what that will be.) 

It will be nice when THC is no longer an issue with the NFL and colleges don't test for it among kids 21 & over and allow for a certain trace amount in U-21 players due to possible 2nd hand exposure. (If course, they should just do away with it all together, but they can claim that they are following the laws with kids under 21.)

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Where can i get a pair of those panties?

• Like 1

a) what’s with all the hullabaloo around weed testing?  nobody starts in the program.  you have to fail a test to get in the program.  nobody has been relegated to the program because of smoking weed in college.  it’s very, very simple.  you can be a raging stoner in the NFL pretty easily and carefree.  

2) bru is coming here.  there’s a reason e.j. won’t change his CB.  he knows, as do others, but they want bru to have his moment.  but it’s happening.  bru will be in austin. 

d) yes, bru is coming to austin. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

He failed a test at the combine. Hence the undrafted result

He didn't "fail" a test. Semantics, but he didn't fail. He had a diluted sample.

Sure, we all know it was probably due to loading up on fluids prior to the test; but still, he didn't pop positive for anything.

Edited by MuellerHorn

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

He didn't "fail" a test. Semantics, but he didn't fail. He had a diluted sample.

Sure, we all know it was probably due to loading up on fluids prior to the test; but still, he didn't pop positive for anything.

diluted is considered a fail.  so he did “fail” a test.