Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

do you even "BRU MCCOY DEFINITELY HASN'T SIGNED YET," bruh?

I have another buddy who told me two months ago to forget about McCoy. It was good advice and I haven't given him much thought since. If he announces for Texas tomorrow, I will shit a golden futureman figure and light Machinator's computer on fire. I realize your post was in jest, but throwing this out there for board thinking.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Why are we going to fill up on marginal secondary targets to get to 28 this year at the expense of scholarships next year?  

I’m not sure I buy the stuff about this year being weak in state and next year being strong - fans and 9.95ers always say it’s a weak year if their team doesn’t clean up on the top guys and strong year if they do.  However, I would still think those scholarships would be put to better use in 2020 coming off a Sugar Bowl season, rather than trying to reach on second signing day “late bloomers” this year.

They apparently do not think they're adding marginal targets. Lots of guys show up as seniors with higher ceilings for college than their sometimes maxed out counterparts who have been on lists for two years. I agree with your logic in the second paragraph, but my post wasn't my opinion. I asked the same questions and the other side was equally as dubious about it as us.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Herman will always take big numbers. It looks like he comes from the Saban school of thought. Take big numbers and if there are busts you can “help” them move on. 

I actually think this this is the better way to protect against attrition the more I’ve watched college football. 

No one on this board or Shaggy has been a bigger advocate or shittalker about following the Saban approach than me. I was surprised to hear differently today. Apparently, Herman is more of a Swinney-esque philosopher than an acolyte of Lord Saban. It should surprise no one that Herman thinks everyone loves him and that no one will be leaving in the offseason or ever. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have another buddy who told me two months ago to forget about McCoy. It was good advice and I haven't given him much thought since. If he announces for Texas tomorrow, I will shit a golden futureman figure and light Machinator's computer on fire. I realize your post was in jest, but throwing this out there for board thinking.

source.gif

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All the Bru McCoy blather is similar, to me, to all the blather about ... say, Van Halen having a new tour in 2019 with Michael Anthony on bass. DLR does a handful of interviews, one blogger completely misinterprets what's in those interviews and posts "VH to do tour in 2019 with original lineup?" as his title, then three hundred thousand seventy-eight bloggers all post the exact same title, referencing each other, and exactly 0 of them referencing the original interview (or even bothering to read it), but with an exclamation point instead of a question mark. All this when there's been absolutely no news or even the hint of a suggestion from anyone anywhere who has even bothered paying attention.

I see no reason to believe that Bru McCoy is going anywhere but USC and all the ink spent on the topic is just bloggers quoting each other.. There was a little bit of doubt when the former OC's job was in doubt. Now they have Kliffy as OC. Sure, maybe he hasn't secretly signed with them already, but why would you expect him to go anywhere other than USC at this point? I'm sure Momma likes us, but does she really want to hop on Southwest Airlines every week for a 3-hour flight to see him play?

(And for those who are wondering, no, there is NOT going to be a VH tour with Michael Anthony on bass, not this year nor ever again.)

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

All the Bru McCoy blather is similar, to me, to all the blather about ... say, Van Halen having a new tour in 2019 with Michael Anthony on bass. DLR does a handful of interviews, one blogger completely misinterprets what's in those interviews and posts "VH to do tour in 2019 with original lineup?" as his title, then three hundred thousand seventy-eight bloggers all post the exact same title, referencing each other, and exactly 0 of them referencing the original interview (or even bothering to read it), but with an exclamation point instead of a question mark. All this when there's been absolutely no news or even the hint of a suggestion from anyone anywhere who has even bothered paying attention.

I see no reason to believe that Bru McCoy is going anywhere but USC and all the ink spent on the topic is just bloggers quoting each other.. There was a little bit of doubt when the former OC's job was in doubt. Now they have Kliffy as OC. Sure, maybe he hasn't secretly signed with them already, but why would you expect him to go anywhere other than USC at this point? I'm sure Momma likes us, but does she really want to hop on Southwest Airlines every week for a 3-hour flight to see him play?

(And for those who are wondering, no, there is NOT going to be a VH tour with Michael Anthony on bass, not this year nor ever again.)

Always thought it would be nice to go see Sammy Hagar in Cabo 

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have no clue on who else they'd take, but like I said, they continue to evaluate and they've got line of sight on guys they like a lot. It surprised me too. These aren't numbers coming from a fanboi or conjured in their own mind's eye.

Filling up on a bunch of late-rising project types to get to 28, potentially limiting class size next year - a year we seem to be significantly better positioned - seems strange to me. But wtf do I know. It's not like I'm a coach. I'd just hate to swap Majors next year for a project this year. 

27 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

H323.gif

• Like 3

We’ll see how Jake reacts when he gets on campus. Prima donna behavior can sometimes be attributed to being the “big fish” in a given environment. He’ll be stepping into a new environment that will probably offer up a decent portion of humble pie for him. We’ll see how he digests that.  JMO, but he seems like he’ll be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Herman will always take big numbers. It looks like he comes from the Saban school of thought. Take big numbers and if there are busts you can “help” them move on. 

I actually think this this is the better way to protect against attrition the more I’ve watched college football. 

Say what you want about Saban. Almost every detail of how he runs a program is carefully designed to maximize his advantage. And generally successfully so. If there is something about how you manage a team that is significantly at odds with his style, there is a good chance you are either (1) a genius he is about to emulate, (2) trying to make a stand on principle, and/or (3) an idoit.

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

Say what you want about Saban. Almost every detail of how he runs a program is carefully designed to maximize his advantage. And generally successfully so. If there is something about how you manage a team that is significantly at odds with his style, there is a good chance you are either (1) a genius he is about to emulate, (2) trying to make a stand on principle, and/or (3) an idoit.

That's true for almost everything except Dabo Swinney's talent evaluation and roster management, which has allowed Dabo to field a team on a level similar to Alabama's while not recruiting in the same stratosphere.

Also, performance enhancing drugs.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I for one, am looking forward to finally getting on here without wading through page after page filled with Brudoo.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He got suspended for the back half of his high school season for that.

And are you shocked that the blond, private school, National Gatorade PotY WR is kind of a primadonna? At that position especially, ego management is a really high priority for the coaching staff.

Really hope it’s not Mehringer being responsible for getting his attitude in check then

IT Humidor

Spoiler

BY: IT Staff

It's been three days since the Sugar Bowl and still the wildest thing isn't the win, but the sight of Bevo charging towards UGA. That not only put a charge in the fan base, but also the team. When the clip ran before the game the locker room "absolutely exploded." I won't say it made a difference but others who were in that room would disagree. They sure came out hot.

The team is now on a much deserved break until the 21st and I think the coaches also get a break until the dead period ends next Friday.

If I see a discussion going on the board, often I'll try and add as much color as possible. One this week was how will Orlando get the bevy of long, explosive athletes on the field at once. There are a number of guys who need to be on the field but because of differing packages that makes it hard. The tension is between b-backer (McCulloch/Ossai) and Joker (Foster/Overshown). With Foster and Ossai flashing so much against the Bulldogs, this conversation was destined to be rekindled.

The team's best package last year was unquestionably dime; this year it was unquestionably nickel. What it will be next year is unquestionably still a question.

Q: So, how do they get all those guys on the field at once?
A: That's a great question with no answer as of yet. They could move BJ to B-Backer, Overshown to Rover, and Ossai to Mac and then leave everything else the same.

Q: Amazingly, BJ could work at B-backer and would be an elite guy in coverage for the position. He would afford some interesting looks. How would he hold up if he's ran at, though?
A: He'll beat blocks with quickness and athleticism. Lineman have trouble latching on to him and he's very instinctive so he doesn't get out of position.

Q: Can Ossai really play Mac?
A: I think he would be okay there, but if you're trying to get all those guys on the field he'd have to play there. That's a spot BJ can't hold up.

Q: The guys you've said in the past that have to play are Sterns, Jones, Foster, Overshown, and Ossai. Some readers have suggested Sterns to nickel which would clear room for Foster at safety. Can Sterns play nickel?
A: Sterns can do a lot of it, but I don't think he's physical enough, and then you'd be pulling him from ranging and making plays. You want him back there playing games with the quarterback's head.

Q: What about Thompson?
A: He's one of the best athletes on the team -- maybe the fastest guy on the team -- and he's physical at times. His problem is he's thinking instead of playing. There's a lot to work with there. Like I said in August, he'll make an All American play here and a terrible, freshman mistake there.

Q: Ah yes, the old WTF! and WTF? plays. That's where coaching comes in. One thing not being accounted for is the new blood at linebacker. You're not as bullish on them making an immediate impact.
A: Need to see how much Caleb is going to be able to participate. He'll learn a lot but you need to be on the field running and hitting for it to settle in. Floyd, we'll see how fast he picks things up. That's the question with him. He's ready athletically and physically.

Q: And Marcus Tillman will arrive early as well. What do you expect from him?
A: I don't know quite as much about him. I'd think he'll be in line for a red-shirt along with Gbenda. They're going to want to red-shirt as many guys as possible again.

Q: What's going to happen with Overshown?
A: The coaches know they have to get him on the field. It's obvious that he runs and hits at a different speed. It's not a stretch to say he's a bigger BJ Foster from that standpoint. Like Foster, they'll move him around a lot. He may not even have a clearly defined position, some Joker, some Rover, some safety.

Q: Another big question, but one with more clear answers is what the staff will do at cornerback.
A: Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce get first dibs at Davante Davis' spot. Both have proven their mettle to the Texas coaches, but are also young and inexperienced. They love what both could be in the future. Green is athletic and nasty like Boyd, and likely nails down one side at some point. Boyce continues to grow; he has great cover skills but needs another year with McKnight to become more physical.

Q: Is there any chance we'll see an unknown name added to the position?
A: They want more competition. Kenyatta Watson will play next year. I expect Caldwell to red-shirt, heal, and put on some muscle. It's conceivable they'd add a Junior College or grad transfer if they can find one, but Watson will be physically ready to go and I don't think the mental side will take too long either.

Q: On the other side of the ball, a big question looms at tight end.
A: Filling Beck's shoes will be tough, but manageable. I don't think they'll try and fill his shoes with just one person. Cade Brewer and maybe Reese Leitao will be the h-back. Brewer's added a lot of size, some good, some bad and lost a step he hopes to get back. The good news is he's more adept at blocking defensive ends and linebackers. Hopefully he can get some of his athleticism back because he would have been a much better receiving threat than Beck was this year. Fortunately Brayden Liebrock arrives and he'll play day-one, especially if Humphrey leaves. Herman wants to use TE sets and will finally have the bodies to do so. I expect Jared Wiley to red-shirt while he transitions back to the position from quarterback.

Q: Yeah, I might take that bet on Wiley red-shirting with him being an early enrollee. Epps will stay at receiver I take it? You've mentioned some good things about him.
A: That's the plan. When you see a guy going up over every good corner on the team to make catches you're going to want to explore that further. He does a great job of using his size to come down with the ball. He has two routes, a go and back-shoulder, but it works for him.

Q: Anything on Lil'Jordan Humphrey leaving early?
A: He's so unpredictable. He's been told he probably won't go until the 5th, which is astonishing to me, but that's probably the biggest influence if he comes back. He's also in a much better place with the program than he was six months ago. There are a lot of variables in this one. His mother has been vocal about him returning to get his degree. Let's just say the other parent doesn't feel the same. There's some other stuff, good and bad, but it doesn't need to be public at this time. You can post after his decision is made. Texas is cautiously optimistic he'll return, but he's unpredictable.

[I've heard some predict he's leaving and some predict he's staying but nobody I talk to knows for sure. It's a fascinating situation because Humphrey clearly has two sides to him]

Q: What about Brandon Jones?
A: I think he wants to leave but knows he didn't have the year he's capable of and the injury didn't help. His girlfriend working for an agency may give some pause but I don't know anyone who thinks he's leaving and know many who say he's returning.

Two Quick Recruiting Notes:

- Texas likes Cam’ron Johnson, ‘19 Alvin Shadow Creek OL. They’ve been in contact and will see him as soon as the dead period ends. Ira Henry (St. Louis), Dawand Jones (Indianapolis), and UCLA Transfer Justin Murphy will all get hard looks. The staff is a bit undecided on what direction to go. In a perfect world they'd hold back at the position and take the number to six in 2020, even if it's a smaller class.

- We're feeling a bit better on Katy RB Deondrick Glass, mainly because they're going into next week's official visit with a very open mind and no hard feelings.

- We'll re-set the recruiting board in the Scoop but if you have any questions, fire away and I’ll get to them throughout the day/weekend.

Filling up on a bunch of late-rising project types to get to 28, potentially limiting class size next year - a year we seem to be significantly better positioned - seems strange to me. But wtf do I know. It's not like I'm a coach. I'd just hate to swap Majors next year for a project this year. 

It’s possible the staff believes that while the top end talent is better next year that the 2020 pool of prospects isn’t as deep as this years. Fill up on the middle tier guys this year and then hope to grab 10-15 elite guys in Texas (and a few OOS) next year.

Regarding the class size, this staff spread word around that they were going to take a small class in a previous class (2018 I think), when it made zero sense when the roster numbers were studied from the outside. Then we ended up taking a bigger class. I'm not sure if they lied for whatever reason (I had some theories at the time for them lying), or actually planned on taking a smaller class early and later changed their mind. 

I wonder if we're seeing this happen again.

It's possible that Herman sees value in keeping guys in the program and getting older. 

Regarding LJH's issues, yes the NFL tests are scheduled, but if you're in "the program", the test are actually random and frequent. Failed NFL drug tests get you into the program, but some players actually start out in the program if they had big failed test problems in college, so there's not always a way to hide from it if you have issues 

• Like 2

An EXTREMELY well connected and reliable friend told me very early on that you will start to hear a lot of favorable things about McCoy, but don’t believe any of it. It is not going to happen. He said similar things about Sanders and Cain.  If Bru surprises us tomorrow, I am going to be like “hey, bud  you were only 2 for 3”. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding the class size, this staff spread word around that they were going to take a small class in a previous class (2018 I think), when it made zero sense when the roster numbers were studied from the outside. Then we ended up taking a bigger class. I'm not sure if they lied for whatever reason (I had some theories at the time for them lying), or actually planned on taking a smaller class early and later changed their mind. 

It's possible that Herman sees value in keeping guys in the program and getting older. 

Regarding LJH's issues, yes the NFL tests are scheduled, but if you're in "the program", the test are actually random and frequent. Failed NFL drug tests get you into the program, but some players actually start out in the program if they had big failed test problems in college, so there's not always a way to hide from it if you have issues 

I heard a big class for 2018 the entire time, and the same place is saying smaller now. There is little doubt that specific and bad information was floated during the first few cycles in order to smoke out who was going to be worthy of sourcing in the future and who wasn't. Supposedly Orangebloods failed fundamentally.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Perhaps I'm just dense, but are you saying LJH's is one more failed piss test away from a long-term suspension at Texas? Wouldn't that also be a problem in the NFL?

The NFL doesnt care what you do before they get ahold of you. Unless your name is Zeke and you allegedly hit your girlfriend. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I heard a big class for 2018 the entire time, and the same place is saying smaller now. There is little doubt that specific and bad information was floated during the first few cycles in order to smoke out who was going to be worthy of sourcing in the future and who wasn't. Supposedly Orangebloods failed fundamentally.

The IT guys heard high teens for this class awhile back, fwiw

I'm hoping they at least approach mid 20s, otherwise some DUDES will get left out of this class 

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is that true?  I know a positive combine test will get you in the NFL program early, but I can't imagine tests from college get you in the program. 

Failing school tests that aren't disclosed due to privacy issues won't get you into the program as a rookie. A failed combine test will get you into the program upon admittance to the union. Behavior can get you into the program as well, i.e. if a player is cited for possession without failing a test, they can be placed into the program. For LJH, a public disclosure of suspension for failed drug tests could possibly be considered under the behavior clause.

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Failing school tests that aren't disclosed due to privacy issues won't get you into the program as a rookie. A failed combine test will get you into the program upon admittance to the union. Behavior can get you into the program as well, i.e. if a player is cited for possession without failing a test, they can be placed into the program. For LJH, a public disclosure of suspension for failed drug tests could possibly be considered under the behavior clause.

Just looked it up. Any behavioral trigger within 2 years prior to a player's combine can be considered.

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

How can the NFL  start a player out in "The Program" if said player has never failed an NFL drug test??

Just seems like privacy laws would NOT ALLOW anything from college tests to be used in NFL.  Any decent attorney would not allow a player like LJH to start out in NFL with any restrictions.....

Edited by LTtxfan