Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

23 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

So nothing else about wilson from other 9.95ers besides IT

Texas hosted one its most important targets for an official visit this weekend.

Four-star Austin Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson went into his visit with Ohio State at the top of his mind. But the Longhorns gave the local product a lot to think about after his weekend on the Forty Acres

“The visit went well,” Wilson said. “Spending time with the players and coaches and getting to see the UT family was my favorite part.”

Wilson spent extended time with Texas commit Jordan Whittington as well as freshman defensive back Caden Sterns. Both recruited Wilson hard to Texas and gave their pitch on why he should stay closer to home.

Living in the Austin-area, Wilson is obviously familiar with the program and the staff as he’s made numerous trips to campus. The biggest thing he wanted to take away from the visit was production from the offense, specifically through the air.

So did Wilson see enough from the Longhorns during their annual spring game?

“Yes, I was impressed,” Wilson said. “I loved seeing them throw it up and letting their wide receivers make plays. It was fun seeing them get a lot of opportunities.”

Wilson now has a big decision coming up.

After making official visits to both Ohio State and Texas, Wilson is sticking with his timeline and plans to make a decision soon. And right now, the race is extremely close.

“I want to make a decision around the start of May,” Wilson said. “ Things are even right now, so I’m going to talk about it all with the family and see what’s right for me.”

Wilson is set to start spring practice on Monday and will shift his focus to his team for about a week or two before coming to a conclusion on the recruiting trail.

At 6-foot, 185 pounds, Wilson is ranked as the No. 6 wide receiver and No. 33 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

no red, no arky.

yeah pretty sure hes talking about "sitting out as freshman" and doesnt want to be redshirted (but feel free to think it means no arky - i have no clue but ill take it as meaning he doesnt want to get redshirted at arky or whatever other school he chooses)

TFB Open Post. The Wilson info is probably outdated. http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-monday-april-23rd/

– I was able to briefly catch up with Lake Travis (TX) WR Garrett Wilson as he made his way to Texas for his official visit with both parents, and his player host was freshman WR Brennan Eagles.

Most feel Ohio State had the edge over Texas going into the visit for Wilson’s pledge. The Longhorns will have had to knock this visit out of the park with Wilson and his family, as a commitment is likely to come pretty quickly after this visit. Wilson told me “I just want to see how I can fit into the UT family and the UT offense” when I asked what he was looking forward to during the weekend.

We’ve talked about how the stuggles in the Texas passing offense for the last few years is something that is hurting Texas. When I asked him if the performance of the passing game during the Spring Game could help/hurt Texas, he told me “I mean it’s not something I’m going to be all the way focused in on, knowing it’s only the Spring Game. But I’ll be looking out for it for sure.”

Expect a commitment to come from Wilson a week or so after this visit, as he officially visited Ohio State last weekend. – (Andrew)

– The father of 2019 OL, Kenyon Green tells me they weren’t able to make the trip, this weekend. However, he did add that they plan to reschedule things.

– 2019 DE/OLB Zach Williams (Little Rock, AR) made it to Texas. He visited TCU, Friday and Baylor, early Saturday. While on campus, as we had speculated would happen, Willimas picked up an offer from Texas.

– Jake Smith made it in for his unofficial. Texas is very high up the list. In fact, don’t be surprised if they lead after this weekend. Talking to some folks and it sounds like things are going well, so far. Smith has an unreleased top five but truth be told Texas is probably in his top two.

– I was texting with Garrett Wilson who says the visit is going well. Don’t know, just yet, if that means it’s going well enough to shift the lead to Texas

– Also, in case you missed it, Texas hosted one of the top 2020 offensive linemen in the country, Geirean Hatchett out of Washington state. While on campus, Hatchett also pulled in a Texas offer. We will catch up with him soon to discuss the impact this offer will have on his recruitment going forward. – (Super K)

– Tre Watson: Cal RB grad transfer Tre Watson took an official visit to Texas. After talking to some people close to the situation and around Watson, it sounds like Texas made a major impression. They could even be looked at as the leader in this recruitment. He’s wrapped up his visit yesterday, and if Texas is willing to take him, that seems like the most likely landing spot as of today.

I was told that Watson plans to visit LSU next weekend before making a decision, we will see if that visit takes place.

– OL Recruits: Texas hosted a really solid group of offensive line recruits yesterday.

The group consisted of ’20 Chad Lindberg (78), Tyler Johnson (74), EJ Ndoma-Ogar (75), Branson Bragg (72), ’20 Geirean Hatchett (66) and Javonne Shepherd (76). I’ve talked to most of those guys and it sounds like Herb Hand is really doing some work on the recruiting trail.

One thing that was a disappointment for Texas and OL recruits was that Atascosita (TX) 5-Star OT Kenyon Green couldn’t make the trip to Austin like he had hoped. – (Andrew)

Edited by Machinator

IT

MARCUS BANKS

With the pro-Texas Twitter barrage from both Banks and his mother Leah this weekend, it's easy to feel very confident in the staff's chances of landing the four-star corner from Spring Dekaney. Factor in that Coach Jason Washington has the best relationship with Banks -- and held a strong one with his late father -- and one is inclined to feel even more confident.

In trying not to let Twitter serve as confirmation bias for my previous opinion that Texas was the team to beat, I checked with some sources and Banks is still not viewed as a slam dunk. The feeling is cautious optimism. After feeling quite optimistic Banks would end up at Texas post-Junior Day, he then visited LSU and came away with glowing remarks. That visit, coupled with family on his mother's side living in Baton Rouge took the wind out of the staff's sails a bit.

The smart money is still on Texas, but recall from Friday's Humidor: "Banks routinely discusses how good of a relationship he has with Washington but he is susceptible to getting caught up in the moment. They should catch him up in the moment."

Clearly he and his mother were swept away. The only question is how real was it? We may find out soon. If Texas can keep the momentum rolling ahead of his May 4th official visit, we may see some fireworks. One problem with that, Texas A&M will host him for an official visit this upcoming weekend. Texas will of course have that visit sandwiched with Banks visiting Austin twice in three weeks.

I think fans are correct in feeling good here, but be weary of the potential for immediate shifts.

NOAH CAIN

The Denton Guyer-turned-IMG running back made his long anticipated return to Austin. Since this staff arrived at Texas he has been the big priority at the position for the class. If you want to run inside zone as badly as Tom Herman does, then Cain is your guy. The problem of course has been offensive line play.

Said Cain, "Coach Hand has the o-line headed in the right direction and that's what I wanted to see."

That sounds like some good recruiting being done by Hand.

Cain tweeted a picture he took with Mack Brown. He was also one of the last recruits to leave the facilities on Saturday night. All in all, it was a good trip for him.

Texas feels no need to peel away from this recruitment and aggressively pursue contingencies. They're in it for the long haul. That haul ends in December.

Along with Texas, Cain also mentions Ohio State and Oklahoma, but it's LSU should be the biggest concern.

TWO STUD OL

I asked about the North Forest offensive tackle, Javonne Shepherd. Texas has been trending quite well for the high upside player, perhaps even taking the outright lead for a brief moment in early April.

The staff still feels good. You'd be surprised how much they try and read body language when kids visit. Shepherd was fully engaged and feeling at home.

Nothing new on Tyler Johnson, but if he was the next commit it wouldn't surprise anyone. He'll likely take his official visit the weekend of May 4th. I doubt he gets out of May without making an announcement.

JARED WILEY

We got our answer on how big of a priority Jared Wiley is for the staff, perhaps with a nudge from the Baylor Cupp commitment to A&M. Wiley will take his Texas official visit the weekend beginning May 4th (we'll re-post that list later today).

In recent talks with Wiley he's said he wants to wait until after the season to make a decision but now he'd like to decide before. He also has no other official visits planned.

The writing seems to be on the wall for Texas landing it's third player from Temple in as many years.

Wiley has the potential for fantastic senior film, and his junior stuff is good. He'll move to quarterback where he'll offer a clear indication of his field awareness and level of athleticism.

Wiley is in the middle of baseball season where the Wildcats are tied for first. And, oh by the way, he's batting .380 with 6 home runs. "They [numbers] would be better but I went through a bit of a slump." Intriguing dude.

By: Justin Wells

GARRETT WILSON

Entering this weekend, there wasn't a more important visitor than Lake Travis' Garrett Wilson. The four-star pass-catcher from the 512 was coming off the heels of a big official visit trip to Columbus, OH. In fact, he left Ohio State with the idea he'd likely become a Buckeye, though it wasn't set in stone. Going into his Texas official visit, he decided to have an open mind, which wasn't difficult. There's a reason he's only taking two official visits; Texas and OSU are the only two schools he can envision himself at. The key for Texas wasn't winning him over this weekend, it was motivating him to slow things down and to nudge the needle back towards Austin.

"The visit was really good," said Wilson. "I spent a lot of time with some of the players and coaches. Loved seeing my UT family. My parents ate dinner at coach Herman's house on Friday night. They answered a lot of my dad's questions."

That was Step 1; 1-on-1 time between the Hermans and the Wilsons was critical. Garrett said it couldn't have gone better.

"On Saturday, I hung out with Sam Ehlinger almost the entire time," Wilson said. "I have a lot of respect for Sam. Cade Brewer and Brennan Eagles joined along some too. We ate lunch with coach Huff and rode in his Tesla."

That was Step 2; Maximizing the connections and relationships with current players as well as future ones. Jordan Whittington and Caden Sterns made sure Wilson knew he was a priority. Wilson is also fond of Roschon Johnson and Cam Rising, who he says, "throws a beautiful ball."

"As for the game, they did a great job of throwing the ball during the (Spring) game," said Wilson. "I liked it when they let the wide receivers make plays. Like Lil Jordan (Humphrey), just getting him the ball in space and letting him work, I want that."

That was Step 3; show a semblance of a passing attack in the Orange-White scrimmage. Check.

Originally Wilson was set to decide soon after these official visits, but now he says he may take a few more weeks. I'm expecting something in the first two weeks of May. Wilson is adamant he wants this decision made before he begins his senior year.

"I'm slowing it down a little," said Wilson. "Texas and Ohio State are even to me. This weekend reminded me how much I like it at (UT). I can see myself here."

A lot of good came from this weekend's visit. His parents bonding with Herman on Friday was huge. Getting the burnt orange carpet treatment was large. Plus, if you're trying to convince an elite wide receiver to attend your school, Sam Ehlinger is a pretty good recruiter. The best part was UT made enough of an impression to make the 4-star plus+ athlete take pause and rethink things. This is a toss up at this point, and I genuinely feel like Wilson doesn't know. Offering teammate Hudson Card was a plus for UT. Now Ohio State is scheduled to hit Lake Travis tomorrow to see GW. It's getting real.

He loves Columbus. He loves Austin. He likes Urban Meyer. He likes Tom Herman. He's very familiar with Buckeye country. He has roots in the ATX. On Thursday night, this wasn't a close race. Come Monday, it is. Buckle up.

JALEN CATALON

When I spoke to Catalon on Thursday night, he mentioned wanting to attend the spring game, but baseball was probably not going to allow it. Besides, he's been to Austin a few times over the last few months, so there was no urgency. Instead of going opposite field, he went opposite Demani Richardson. Fast forward to Saturday morning, Jalen found a ride.

"Originally I didn't think I'd make it, but my ride came through and I didn't want to miss it," said Catalon. "I loved coming back again, seeing the coaches and players, who I'm building relationships with. Seeing recruits that I'm getting to know. Plus the family atmosphere, I just didn't want to miss it."

Not a lot changed in Catalon's eyes; Texas is still one of his top schools. Arkansas, Clemson, and OU are UT's competition here, with the Hogs being the closest in the 5-star Mansfield Legacy's sweepstakes.

Something else that stuck out were the defensive backs during the Orange-White scrimmage. "I love watching this defense play," Catalon remarked. "I love the DB play. You can tell it's a fun group to play with."

Guys like BJ Foster, Kris Boyd, and Josh Thompson stood out to Catalon, who sees himself as a safety and nickel.

"I got to catch up with coach Naivar," said Catalon. "We have a great relationship. Talking football, baseball, and just life in general. I'm glad I was around all the other recruits."

Catalon still wants to take his official visits this fall, so he's in no hurry. Just the fact getting back to Austin was so important to him is the major data point here. Stay the course, Texas.

BRANSON BRAGG

The last time the highly intelligent four-star offensive lineman from Crandall was in Austin, it was for the Texas Relays and to swing by UT's practice. Well, he didn't place in the T&F events and didn't get much time with offensive line coach Herb Hand. Consider the latter fixed.

"It was amazing and eye-opening," Bragg said. "I got all the time I could've asked for with coach Hand. We spent over two hours talking football, Texas, the OL room, and life. It was really nice getting to know coach Hand."

If you'll remember, I wrote two weeks ago after the Under Armour camp that Bragg sees himself in Herb Hand; smart, versatile, multi-talented, and determined. The 1-on-1 with the UT's newest coach was vital to thwart the advances from Stanford, UT's top nemesis. What else stood out this time, BB?

"Just the hospitality from the entire staff. Everyone was so friendly and wanted to make sure, 'we knew how badly they need me,'" Bragg said coach Herman told him. That resonated well with Branson and his father, Darrin.

"My dad had a blast and loved it too," said Bragg.

Bragg, like Catalon, isn't in a hurry to make a decision. Highly intelligent people tend to think things through, but last weekend only helped UT's cause. Keep it up, Herbie.

UNDER THE LIGHTS: THE AFTER PARTY

The list of prospects, and future and current Longhorns, was long but distinguished.

Signees, like Rafiti Ghirmai, were there. Newcomers like Calvin Anderson showed up. New offers went out to Little Rock (AR) DE Zach Williams, Broken Arrow (OK) DB Myles Slusher, and Lake Travis' QB Hudson Card. Top 2019 targets, like Noah Cain, Tyler Johnson, Marcus Banks, and Javonne Shepherd, were in the house that DKR built. Top 2020 targets, like Zach Evans, Darius Snow, Demond Demas, and Chris Thompson, made appearances.

It was the event it needed to be. I'll have more quotes from recruits and new offers later this week. Texas did it big, which has been an early staple in the Herman era.

THAT GRAD TRANSFER RB

How was Cal graduate transfer tailback Tre Watson's visit? Good. Real good. In fact, he'll be in this week's Notebook.

I'm told Texas knocked it out of the park with the former Cal Golden Bear. Watching the running backs during the Spring game might have helped as much as anything. He sees a program that needs a capable body to help tote the rock in 2018. And that's really what he needed to see.

Texas looks good here. I'm hearing different things about other possible visits, like LSU and maybe Texas Tech. But as of today, UT and Watson are a good match. I'll catch up with Watson later this week for his words. Herman is turning over every rock, like a great coach should.

UPCOMING WEEKEND

The big official visit weekend is in two weeks - May 4th-6th - but UT is hosting a nice set of prospects this weekend too. The Grayson Group - Kenyatta Watson II, Owen Pappoe, and Kenyon Jackson are scheduled to arrive Friday night. Of note, Jackson committed to Texas A&M this weekend, so that visit may not happen.

The other big name set to arrive for an unofficial visit is Mater Dei's (CA) ATH Bru McCoy. This 5-star is a big fish in a big pond. Getting him on campus will be huge. I expect more names to surface as well. We'll have more on this weekend's visitors in the Humidor.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

The Texas coaches are hitting the road this week. I know East Texas will be toured as the staff could hit Lufkin, Newton, Tyler Lee, Marshall, and Gilmer, I'm told. We hope to have a few destinations later today, or early in the AM.

247 rankings have updated. Kenyon Green, Brian Williams, Theo Wease, Garrett Wilson, and Tyler Johnson are all composite 5* players. Jordan Whittington is two away from 5* status.

rest of the top 20 in-state:

7. Lewis Cine

8. Gunnell

9. Erick Young

10. Beason

11. Henderson

12. Leal

13. Stogner

14. Stripling

15. NaNa

16. Brooks

17. Bridges