If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

I didn’t listen to that segment but to me, Dallas Tex-Mex is not that good. There are two staples to good Tex-Mex - crispy beef tacos and enchiladas. Dallas is focused on casual taco places that are all terrible soft taco places, and upscale pretty food that neglects these basics. 

Also, virtually no place has homemade flour tortillas. 

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm thinking he's meaning tupy tacos. Fried taco shells like Tupinamba makes. 

I don't think so, especially if his dad "found" them at E-Bar. E-Bar's are just like just about every other white-adjacent (!!!) Tex-Mex place in town.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Most places have expanded their taco section to include more street style tacos, but pretty much all places still have the standard taco plate with 2-3 beef tacos with your choice of crunchy/soft tortillas.  

They’re all candied up. Hot spots are Odelay and Jose and Mesero. All those places suck except for Odelay but its standard fare isn’t good. Give me Mia’s and Rafa’s and Lupe Tortilla all day long over these clown shows. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

They’re all candied up. Hot spots are Odelay and Jose and Mesero. All those places suck except for Odelay but its standard fare isn’t good. Give me Mia’s and Rafa’s and Lupe Tortilla all day long over these clown shows. 

Mesero has never been true Tex-Mex. If serves a purpose but we rarely go there. Jose is a different animal. I'd previously only been for HH and had really only eaten a bowl of posole one late afternoon when I was early for drinks and didn't want to spoil dinner and it was fantastic. Then, a few weeks back I met a new client there for lunch and had an incredible salad. The chef there was a James Beard semifinalist, I think. But my favorite old-school Tex-Mex places are Rafa's and Avila's. They absolutely have crispy beef tacos. Mia's isn't the same in the new space. Mariano's Hacienda is pretty good as well but it's all the way on the other side of town from me. I also love Odelay but it's different in a way. Chicken fajitas come with queso fundido on the side for chrissakes!

Where can I get me some boche 7 alarm chili?  Already one of gordos best characters. 

As for Dan and Jake litigation,  who knows. But anyone taking the pleadings as the end all be all.... shouldn't. 

The funniest part of the complaint was them continually whining about the disparagement. Holy shit.....half the ticket shtick is bitching about cumulus and their cheapness. On air. 

Waiting for tro round 2 and Dan and Jake's reply. 

54 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Ticket Reddit is a cesspool and My Ticket Confession is now nonstop D&J/Cumulus litigation talk so I'm out on both 🤢

I never understand why those on Ticket Reddit still listen to the Ticket. It's rare to find a post that's complimentary of the station and that was even before Dan and Jake left. 

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Lupe Tortilla in DFW sucks ass. I do agree though Dallas tex mex has fallen off hard.

Shut your whore mouth. What do you know about Mexican food?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Mesero has never been true Tex-Mex. If serves a purpose but we rarely go there. Jose is a different animal. I'd previously only been for HH and had really only eaten a bowl of posole one late afternoon when I was early for drinks and didn't want to spoil dinner and it was fantastic. Then, a few weeks back I met a new client there for lunch and had an incredible salad. The chef there was a James Beard semifinalist, I think. But my favorite old-school Tex-Mex places are Rafa's and Avila's. They absolutely have crispy beef tacos. Mia's isn't the same in the new space. Mariano's Hacienda is pretty good as well but it's all the way on the other side of town from me. I also love Odelay but it's different in a way. Chicken fajitas come with queso fundido on the side for chrissakes!

Jose isn’t good. Neither is Muchacho - another place that pisses me off. I forget about Mariano’s. Great stuff. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Where can I get me some boche 7 alarm chili?  Already one of gordos best characters. 

As for Dan and Jake litigation,  who knows. But anyone taking the pleadings as the end all be all.... shouldn't. 

The funniest part of the complaint was them continually whining about the disparagement. Holy shit.....half the ticket shtick is bitching about cumulus and their cheapness. On air. 

Waiting for tro round 2 and Dan and Jake's reply. 

When Jub is in stitches like that, you know it’s funny. This morning was hilarious. I love the idea that Fake Bruce Bochy thinks Bruce Bochy is an entirely manufactured persona based on a mix of Lou Brown and Western wisdom. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

If D&J's attorneys are P1's as someone noted, really hope they give us bits/ticket easter eggs in the reply.

I would expect “totally different shows” to appear. 

33 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Shut your whore mouth. What do you know about Mexican food?

Jose isn’t good. Neither is Muchacho - another place that pisses me off. I forget about Mariano’s. Great stuff. 

Can't remember if it's the shrimp or fish tacos there at Muchacho's but they're pretty fucking good. It's all I get there. It's too expensive for Tex-Mex, I don't care how "elevated" they think they are or how much rent they're trying to cover in Preston Center.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Can't remember if it's the shrimp or fish tacos there at Muchacho's but they're pretty fucking good. It's all I get there. It's too expensive for Tex-Mex, I don't care how "elevated" they think they are or how much rent they're trying to cover in Preston Center.

I’ll pay whatever for good food. They don’t have it. For example though not Tex-Mex, Javier’s is one of my favorite places and I’m going in a few days. Also, Mia’s (very close to my house) is still really really good. 

50 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’ll pay whatever for good food. They don’t have it. For example though not Tex-Mex, Javier’s is one of my favorite places and I’m going in a few days. Also, Mia’s (very close to my house) is still really really good. 

I think Muchacho is fine. I think it's over-priced. Never have really liked Javier's. It's fun and I enjoy large groups there but have never liked the food all that much.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think Muchacho is fine. I think it's over-priced. Never have really liked Javier's. It's fun and I enjoy large groups there but have never liked the food all that much.

Brisket tacos at Mia’s and Durango at Javier’s are two of the best meals you can have. You’re smoking crack. 

24 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Forbidding employees to discuss compensation is a big no-no

As is coercion to sign a noncompete

Is a provision stating you can’t disclose what your agreement states a big no no?  I’ve signed a lot of non-solicit / non-competes. Never for chump change - always had a significant comp award like stock. I don’t know if non-disclosure provisions existed, but that seems like it’s a sensible thing to do. 

I cannot believe The Ticket or Cumukus subjected lower tier guys making $27k per year sign such an agreement. That’s bullshit. You typically only see such agreements (with non-competes) for employees making $100k or more and oftentimes well over that amount. There seem to be some larger things at play here, and Dan & Jake seem to be a little more calculating than I initially thought they were. 

My hunch is Cumulus is going to pipe down, or, this is going to blow up in their face and make The Ticket look REALLY bad. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Is a provision stating you can’t disclose what your agreement states a big no no?  I’ve signed a lot of non-solicit / non-competes. Never for chump change - always had a significant comp award like stock. I don’t know if non-disclosure provisions existed, but that seems like it’s a sensible thing to do. 

I’m obviously not a lawyer but I’ve been involved in a few employment agreements and operating agreements that ended less than amicably. Coercive actions are very difficult to enforce if the bound party pushes back. “Here sign this or no raise” isn’t far off from “sign this or you’re fired.”

I don’t know if you can bind multiple employees of a single entity, especially coworkers, with “non disclosure agreements” re compensation. It is prima facie an attempt to circumvent the law against preventing employees from discussing compensation amongst themselves. “It says right there in the contract she has to blow me every morning” is probably not going to hold up in court

of course the only way to know what is valid is to take it to a verdict. I don’t think D & J have the money for that and if shit like this keeps dripping out I don’t know if cumulus has the stomach 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I cannot believe The Ticket or Cumukus subjected lower tier guys making $27k per year sign such an agreement. That’s bullshit.

Way outside of my practice but I have family in the employment law space that was telling me how some damn fast food chain or something was having hourly minimum wage or close to it employees sign non-competes in their boilerplate employment agreement and got popped.  It's shit like this that has the FCA trying to ban the concept all together.  I think appropriate in some highly compensated fields with employees that may or should be using counsel to negotiate for them, and, as you mentioned, are receiving material benefits in exchange for the non-compete, but garbage like Cumulus apparently did with the young guys making under $30K is absolutely ridiculous.

And not surprising in the least.    Reading through all of this now and it really makes Cumulus looks worse than I imagined.  

Edited by Skipper

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Finished a quick read of it.  Not a very well written legal document but if their goal was to display what a shit corporation Cumulus is they were effective on that front.  Looks like it's going to mediation in any event.

Authored in part by Philip Kingston. A bombastic moron. 

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t think D & J have the money for that and if shit like this keeps dripping out I don’t know if cumulus has the stomach 

The best thing for both parties is for this shit to go away. Cumulus can afford to drag this out, but they should be terrified of this going too far. If cumulus somehow lost this fight in court, it would be disastrous, because of the implications. I was aware of those salary numbers, I’m a little shocked to see them in public like that. That is some very dirty laundry. 

18 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

The best thing for both parties is for this shit to go away. Cumulus can afford to drag this out, but they should be terrified of this going too far. If cumulus somehow lost this fight in court, it would be disastrous, because of the implications. I was aware of those salary numbers, I’m a little shocked to see them in public like that. That is some very dirty laundry. 

If they are doing this shit nationwide are they at risk for a NLRB claim? 

So, I'm bored and read the complaint and the employment agreements a bit more carefully.  I'm starting to lean more to 4d chess by dan and jake than dumb zone. 

I don't know about the IP stuff...who owned the twitters and the website and the logo...but that seems to be fairly insignificant in this case.  And they can fuck off with the disparagement.  There are hours and hours of every single host on the station disparaging cumulus.

I was focusing more on the non-compete's.  I think Dan has a strong case to be in the clear.  In his agreement, he is not allowed to provide services to a competing business.  A competing business is any business that offers essentially the same as the Company  Business.  The company business is defined in his contract as commercial radio stations.  There are other sections in the contract that also touch on working for another company.....but Dan didn't even set up an LLC.  Not saying it's a slam dunk, but I think cumulus is in a bind with him...at least as it goes on the non-compete.  It was just written poorly.

Jake's is different.  It specifically talks about podcasting and states that is a competing business.  However, jake exercised an early termination to his contract in December of 2022.  He has been an at will employee since then.  Yeah, the terms of his contract will apply, but enforcing a non-compete on an at-will employee is not the easiest thing in the world.

I also think this has been in the works for a while.  Jake didn't exercise his right to end the contract early just for kicks.  And there were several business tuesdays where they talked about non-compete agreements.

Still no clue how it shakes out and there are a lot more words in the contracts, but I don't think this was just a seat of the pants decision by either of them.

Edited by pops
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Lupe Tortilla in DFW sucks ass. I do agree though Dallas tex mex has fallen off hard.

For the most part DFW tex mex has become "trendy" Tex Mex. For the good shit I still hit up Gonzalez in Pleasant Grove. The fucking tortillas there alone are worth the trip.

Gonzalez also has another location in oak Cliff one block over from the Texas Theatre

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t see how cumulus lets this thing go to discovery. If the plan was to have the nonmusers hosts all let their contracts expire so they could collectively bargain, I imagine Bob and the cumulus execs will have to give a detailed account of the negotiations of his extension. If evidence shows he was coerced that might just do it

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I haven’t read most of these documents but why do you say ‘fuck the musers’?

They've got theirs and don't care about anybody else at the station. Gordo just over there playing little red riding hood claiming to be unaware of how little everyone else is being paid and has no interest in advocating for anybody but himself/themselves

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, pops said:

So, I'm bored and read the complaint and the employment agreements a bit more carefully.  I'm starting to lean more to 4d chess by dan and jake than dumb zone. 

I don't know about the IP stuff...who owned the twitters and the website and the logo...but that seems to be fairly insignificant in this case.  And they can fuck off with the disparagement.  There are hours and hours of every single host on the station disparaging cumulus.

I was focusing more on the non-compete's.  I think Dan has a strong case to be in the clear.  In his agreement, he is not allowed to provide services to a competing business.  A competing business is any business that offers essentially the same as the Company  Business.  The company business is defined in his contract as commercial radio stations.  There are other sections in the contract that also touch on working for another company.....but Dan didn't even set up an LLC.  Not saying it's a slam dunk, but I think cumulus is in a bind with him...at least as it goes on the non-compete.  It was just written poorly.

Jake's is different.  It specifically talks about podcasting and states that is a competing business.  However, jake exercised an early termination to his contract in December of 2022.  He has been an at will employee since then.  Yeah, the terms of his contract will apply, but enforcing a non-compete on an at-will employee is not the easiest thing in the world.

I also think this has been in the works for a while.  Jake didn't exercise his right to end the contract early just for kicks.  And there were several business tuesdays where they talked about non-compete agreements.

Still no clue how it shakes out and there are a lot more words in the contracts, but I don't think this was just a seat of the pants decision by either of them.

C'mon bro. Let the station fanbois cook.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pops said:

I read his contract last week and it did specifically state that the non-compete was effective through the last day of his employment and those provisions survived regardless of whether the contract itself was terminated. The part I thought was interesting was the Waiver argument.   No idea if there is any case law that helps him or not but the fact that he was contractually restricted from competing via podcast yet has had a separate podcast since 2011 without any objection from Cumulus seemed like a helpful argument.

• Hook 'Em 1