If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

1 hour ago, bluto said:

No idea if this will work as it should but here’s the 68 pg complaint including exhibits (their contracts with the $ crossed out damnit)show_multidocs.pdf

It works. Wow. Yeah, at the very least, Cumulus is right. At the very least, they fucked around and found out, and they’ve killed any income they could make for 6 months. Even after that period, they can’t ever talk about The Ticket again. 

However, it is likely they nuked their careers. Cumulus will likely go after them for anything after that period, which makes any go-forward show extremely difficult. They’ll have to totally change their content. 

These guys really come off as naive and dumb when it comes to big time corporate show business. They signed their contracts seemingly without reading the docs themselves. Looks like they were shown the handcuffs, clamped them on themselves, and then seem surprised they are actually still handcuffed.

1 minute ago, Boss Hogg said:

So, all they had to do was wait 6 months? Should’ve gone with that. 

Waiting 6 months and then trying to re-emerge is likely a death sentence to go it on your own success.  ADHD of society out front should have told you.   Of course, getting bent over and no lubed in a legal proceeding may be the same kind of death sentence.  

I think they'll definitely go to the Freak now considering it seems they won't be able to monetize themselves in a way that Cumulus won't claim is a non-compete? Again, really seems like they were just flying by the seat of their pants on this which is fairly disappointing. But their show name is pretty appropriate on how they handled most of this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think they'll definitely go to the Freak now considering it seems they won't be able to monetize themselves in a way that Cumulus won't claim is a non-compete? Again, really seems like they were just flying by the seat of their pants on this which is fairly disappointing. But their show name is pretty appropriate on how they handled most of this.

i dont know.  they have attorneys, really doubt that someone told them this wasn't a good idea and they gave them double birds and did it anyway.  maybe they have really bad attorneys.

Just now, NOMAAA said:

i dont know.  they have attorneys, really doubt that someone told them this wasn't a good idea and they gave them double birds and did it anyway.  maybe they have really bad attorneys.

I think Philip Kingston, the former council member and sometimes guest on IJB, is one of the attorneys or is someone giving them advice. Considering he's fairly abrasive, maybe he gave them bad advice based on trying to push the envelope. I was not sad when Kingston was defeated in his final city council race. He's kind of a dick. I hate this because I was really enjoying the podcast and listened to a few on them on my flight last Thursday. I guess they'll keep doing them until they're told not to? I haven't listened to the one from 8/4 yet.  

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think Philip Kingston, the former council member and sometimes guest on IJB, is one of the attorneys or is someone giving them advice. Considering he's fairly abrasive, maybe he gave them bad advice based on trying to push the envelope. I was not sad when Kingston was defeated in his final city council race. He's kind of a dick. I hate this because I was really enjoying the podcast and listened to a few on them on my flight last Thursday. I guess they'll keep doing them until they're told not to? I haven't listened to the one from 8/4 yet.  

thats a pretty good bet.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Every time I hear Nowitzki interviewed I am reminded why he's one of my favorite athletes of all time, in any sport. I've never been a Mavericks fan but will always be a huge fan of his.

Simply a class act. 

He was awesome when Conan did his Dallas shows.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Kingston is terrible. He’s one of those councilmen that would be right at home in the Austin City Council. 

Edited by Porterhouse

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

literally zero people did because they only offered the monthly plan.

Well that was nice of them. Guess they saw the writing on the wall and just mentioned a yearly plan to make a 69 joke

Anyone still listen to WtDS? Is line 4 guy still there? Would be weird if he came to the station as one of Dan's friends to still be working on a station that is suing Dan

Edited by Hermanator

On one hand, as mentioned above, Dan and Jake are clearly flying by the seat of their pants even more than I assumed.  The IP stuff is either pure incompetence or laziness or both but never thought these guys had much business acumen in their business Tuesday segments and that is clearly looking to be the case now.   

That all being said, I still think this is a horrible decision by Cumulus from a PR and listener loyalty standpoint.  I still don't think the corporate brass at Cumulus has any understanding why The Ticket has worked and has been so successful, or, they flat out don't care and will just milk what they can until it blows up for good.  The facade that it's just a bunch of guys that are all best friends goofing off on the radio together and not a real "business" is why it's worked and has developed such a cult following.  That facade started to crumble with Sirois and Danny leaving (and the airing of grievances that came along with it), but (i) lowballing and letting top tier talent walk and (ii) then suing that top talent may blow up a lot of that loyalty.  It's hard for the remaining hosts to "rally the troops" like they were able to with the start of The Freak when their alleged "good friends" are being effectively sued by The Ticket.

Could Jake and Dan actually be playing chess here and forcing Cumulus' hand so when they end up at The Freak they can say "we didn't have a choice, Cumulus shut down our podcast venture" and then actually compete with the Ticket in a way the current group (with their perceived pettiness) never could?  Going to be interesting to see how all this plays out.  

Cumulus is such a shit and cheap corporation it's easy to root for Jake and Dan here.  If they ended up in Drive Time at The Freak I'll definitely move with them.

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

looks like todays patreon is the audio from the video above.  that sucks.

man everything sucks kinda.

i thought they said last week the next week or 2 would be funky due to schedules

if i had to guess this is where they were planning on dropping some of the audio they had in the can from last month, but guess thats on hold now w/ lawsuit officially being filed?

Dan is taking his daughter to Clemson this week and his other daughter to her college (?) next week. So shows may be spotty. He's going to stop and talk with a radio guy that is podcasting his regional terrestrial show. It will be interesting.

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Every time I hear Nowitzki interviewed I am reminded why he's one of my favorite athletes of all time, in any sport. I've never been a Mavericks fan but will always be a huge fan of his.

Simply a class act. 

Same. Never a Mavs but always enjoyed my interactions with Dirk when I was pulled over to help out with Mavs coverage during the playoffs or whatever. Good dude.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I actually graduated from HS with Philip. Abrasive is a perfect description. Like him or not, at least he's generally on my side of the political spectrum. He fought a pretty good fight against the pay-for-play shit that almost got the Trinity River Tollroad approved/built.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

So, all they had to do was wait 6 months? Should’ve gone with that. 

I don’t know if there is something special about non-competes in the media, but I know several physicians who got the length of their noncompete knocked down to one or two months from six months to a year with a little to no effort. I also know some who got the “buy out“ to get out of the noncompete knocked down to a reasonable number. You do have to get a good attorney and they do cost money but at least in the medical field it is very hard for these non-competes to be enforced

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

On one hand, as mentioned above, Dan and Jake are clearly flying by the seat of their pants even more than I assumed.  The IP stuff is either pure incompetence or laziness or both but never thought these guys had much business acumen in their business Tuesday segments and that is clearly looking to be the case now.   

That all being said, I still think this is a horrible decision by Cumulus from a PR and listener loyalty standpoint.  I still don't think the corporate brass at Cumulus has any understanding why The Ticket has worked and has been so successful, or, they flat out don't care and will just milk what they can until it blows up for good.  The facade that it's just a bunch of guys that are all best friends goofing off on the radio together and not a real "business" is why it's worked and has developed such a cult following.  That facade started to crumble with Sirois and Danny leaving (and the airing of grievances that came along with it), but (i) lowballing and letting top tier talent walk and (ii) then suing that top talent may blow up a lot of that loyalty.  It's hard for the remaining hosts to "rally the troops" like they were able to with the start of The Freak when their alleged "good friends" are being effectively sued by The Ticket.

Could Jake and Dan actually be playing chess here and forcing Cumulus' hand so when they end up at The Freak they can say "we didn't have a choice, Cumulus shut down our podcast venture" and then actually compete with the Ticket in a way the current group (with their perceived pettiness) never could?  Going to be interesting to see how all this plays out.  

Cumulus is such a shit and cheap corporation it's easy to root for Jake and Dan here.  If they ended up in Drive Time at The Freak I'll definitely move with them.

The Ticket isn’t suing Dan and Jake. Cumulus is. This is an important distinction, because I unlike you hold zero ill will toward The Ticket. 

Dan and Jake are most certainly not playing chess. If they end up at The Freak, they won’t be able to talk at all about The Ticket, and no doubt non-idiots Rhyner, Sirois and Danny will inform them of their idiot ways. They’ll have gone to an inferior station that won’t last. I’m less inclined to listen to them, anywhere, because they continue to display their stupidity.  

Again, they’ve nuked their careers and they don’t realize it yet. 

34 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Also, clearly, I’m just a dumb ass on a message board, but with respect to the intellectual property aspect, how are they going to argue they are monetarily harmed by this podcast that wasn’t worth enough for them to pay the guys to do?

Whether or not they agreed to compensate Dan and Jake for it before they resigned is irrelevant now. Saying they’re monetarily harmed is not only an easy argument, but a logical one.  I would EXPECT them to have put together that petition and filed suit. Dan and Jake are very clearly not honoring their Agreement, they’re making fun of employees, and they have the same structure / format of a show that is, ultimately, Cumulus’ property. 

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

and they have the same structure / format of a show that is, ultimately, Cumulus’ property. 

If there is no harm there is no suit. If they weren’t being paid for the podcast, and the proposed new deal specifically stated no compensation for the podcast, it absolutely does not follow cumulus was harmed by the new podcast. 

and I have no idea what to make of this. You can make being a smartass IP?

Edited by Sawbonz

58 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t know if there is something special about non-competes in the media, but I know several physicians who got the length of their noncompete knocked down to one or two months from six months to a year with a little to no effort. I also know some who got the “buy out“ to get out of the noncompete knocked down to a reasonable number. You do have to get a good attorney and they do cost money but at least in the medical field it is very hard for these non-competes to be enforced

i think on the physician side there were some noncompetes with very restrictive language and outrageous mileage requirements. a lot of the noncompetes in that field have changed in the last decade for that reason.

medical noncompetes are wild. at a certain point, you want to keep the docs because they are happy with you and you pay them pretty well, not restrict them via noncompete.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, Texzilla58 said:

These guys really come off as naive and dumb when it comes to big time corporate show business. They signed their contracts seemingly without reading the docs themselves. Looks like they were shown the handcuffs, clamped them on themselves, and then seem surprised they are actually still handcuffed.

Perhaps. Still, Cumulus trying to turn radio into Tower Records is a crappy look for them.

The Ticket is dead to me.

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

The Ticket isn’t suing Dan and Jake. Cumulus is. This is an important distinction, because I unlike you hold zero ill will toward The Ticket. 

I fully appreciate that distinction but wrote it the way I did intentionally as I think it's getting harder to separate the 2.  Obviously most Ticket listeners have despised Cumulus over the years.  I just think this messy of a divorce between Tier 1 talent and Cumulus blows up the facade that The Ticket is this fun, independent station that is separate (but beholden to) Cumulus.  We've already heard George/Corby, etc. go somewhat "corporate" in their support of The Ticket. It's probably only going to get messier among "friends".   This all just pulls back the curtain on The Ticket and is evidence that it's all just business (which deep down we've always known).  I just think that realization will strip out some of the loyalty factor.  I think Dan + Jake absolutely have an opportunity to put on a better drive time show than the Hardline.  If they do, I'll be listening to them on the drive home wherever they land.  I think a lot of "P1's" historically just never change the station.  This chain of events may change that if there is better content elsewhere.

Edited by Skipper

45 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If there is no harm there is no suit. If they weren’t being paid for the podcast, and the proposed new deal specifically stated no compensation for the podcast, it absolutely does not follow cumulus was harmed by the new podcast. 

and I have no idea what to make of this. You can make being a smartass IP?

I 100% disagree with you. If they had waited 6 months, and said what they said, they’d still be sued and justifiably so by Cumulus. You and I won’t agree on this. 

I also don’t understand your second sentence at all. If they were paid for a podcast by Cumulus, of course they wouldn’t be harming Cumulus, which they definitely are now. 

46 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I fully appreciate that distinction but wrote it the way I did intentionally as I think it's getting harder to separate the 2.  Obviously most Ticket listeners have despised Cumulus over the years.  I just think this messy of a divorce between Tier 1 talent and Cumulus blows up the facade that The Ticket is this fun, independent station that is separate (but beholden to) Cumulus.  We've already heard George/Corby, etc. go somewhat "corporate" in their support of The Ticket. It's probably only going to get messier among "friends".   This all just pulls back the curtain on The Ticket and is evidence that it's all just business (which deep down we've always known).  I just think that realization will strip out some of the loyalty factor.  I think Dan + Jake absolutely have an opportunity to put on a better drive time show than the Hardline.  If they do, I'll be listening to them on the drive home wherever they land.  I think a lot of "P1's" historically just never change the station.  This chain of events may change that if there is better content elsewhere.

The Ticket is part of Cumulus so the Ticket is part of the entity that is suing it's former hosts for starting a podcast. At this point separating them is just doing mental gymnastics to allow yourself to feel like the Ticket isn't cheap corporate garbage these days. 

The Musers, Monty, and HL aren't suing Dan and Jake so I really don't need mental gymnastics to keep listening. Dan and Jake are big boys. They knew the risk of making this move. They did it in the Dumbest Zone way possible. That's on them. 

54 minutes ago, Skipper said:

No, it’s not at all. You think The Ticket in a vacuum would sue those 2?  No way. George and Corby aren’t corporate. They didn’t want to lose their friends, are disappointed it didn’t work out, yet are still there not disparaging Cumulus because they’re both in a totally different financial boat and they know where there bread is buttered. These feelings aren’t those of a corporate shill. 

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Musers, Monty, and HL aren't suing Dan and Jake so I really don't need mental gymnastics to keep listening. Dan and Jake are big boys. They knew the risk of making this move. They did it in the Dumbest Zone way possible. That's on them. 

That's your personal viewpoint.  I'm talking Macro.  Obviously none of us will know unless Jake and Dan actually do compete via another station 6 months from now then we can look at ratings.  I'm speculating there was a material subset of listeners that would have never listened to The Freak (putting aside the shitty content) out of loyalty to The Ticket. I just think that loyalty may start to diminish after this chain of events. 

32 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No, it’s not at all. You think The Ticket in a vacuum would sue those 2?  No way. George and Corby aren’t corporate. They didn’t want to lose their friends, are disappointed it didn’t work out, yet are still there not disparaging Cumulus because they’re both in a totally different financial boat and they know where there bread is buttered. These feelings aren’t those of a corporate shill. 

Corby absolutely did disparage Mike personally once he started competing.  They all rallied the troops.  They might do the same if D&J actually do compete via another station. Who knows - they actually seem to be closer to D&J compared to Mike.  We'll see.   I'm really just interested in how it all plays out over time.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Well, that is where "P1" comes from after all