If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

10 hours ago, pops said:

So, I'm bored and read the complaint and the employment agreements a bit more carefully.  I'm starting to lean more to 4d chess by dan and jake than dumb zone. 

I don't know about the IP stuff...who owned the twitters and the website and the logo...but that seems to be fairly insignificant in this case.  And they can fuck off with the disparagement.  There are hours and hours of every single host on the station disparaging cumulus.

I was focusing more on the non-compete's.  I think Dan has a strong case to be in the clear.  In his agreement, he is not allowed to provide services to a competing business.  A competing business is any business that offers essentially the same as the Company  Business.  The company business is defined in his contract as commercial radio stations.  There are other sections in the contract that also touch on working for another company.....but Dan didn't even set up an LLC.  Not saying it's a slam dunk, but I think cumulus is in a bind with him...at least as it goes on the non-compete.  It was just written poorly.

Jake's is different.  It specifically talks about podcasting and states that is a competing business.  However, jake exercised an early termination to his contract in December of 2022.  He has been an at will employee since then.  Yeah, the terms of his contract will apply, but enforcing a non-compete on an at-will employee is not the easiest thing in the world.

I also think this has been in the works for a while.  Jake didn't exercise his right to end the contract early just for kicks.  And there were several business tuesdays where they talked about non-compete agreements.

Still no clue how it shakes out and there are a lot more words in the contracts, but I don't think this was just a seat of the pants decision by either of them.

Wait so @Texzilla58is full of shit? No way!

I’m no fan of cumulus as they have wrecked local country radio in their smaller markets. The Ticket is a bit of an outlier in their general national homogenization strategery.

My position is this is a simple civil suit between the parties. It’s not brown vs board of education. Maybe they have a long play in this and working the nlrb angle but until this is a new wrinkle. Having a noncompete for minor employees would is overkill. We shall see.

2 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Gordo just over there playing little red riding hood claiming to be unaware of how little everyone else is being paid and has no interest in advocating for anybody but himself/themselves

Gordo knows if he leaves it's the end of The Ticket. Cumulus knows this as well.

2 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

They've got theirs and don't care about anybody else at the station. Gordo just over there playing little red riding hood claiming to be unaware of how little everyone else is being paid and has no interest in advocating for anybody but himself/themselves

That’s 99.9999% of people in the world. 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:03 AM, Porterhouse said:

I didn’t listen to that segment but to me, Dallas Tex-Mex is not that good. There are two staples to good Tex-Mex - crispy beef tacos and enchiladas. Dallas is focused on casual taco places that are all terrible soft taco places, and upscale pretty food that neglects these basics. 

Also, virtually no place has homemade flour tortillas. 

Odelay has homemade tortillas. So does Las Palmas, which I failed to mention earlier. It might be my favorite Tex-Mex place in Dallas now.

I grew up in SA, which has the best Tex-Mex IMO. There are 10x as many great places as you'll find in Dallas. And every single one of them makes their own tortillas.

15 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I fucking love Rosa's. Dallas Tex Mex has gone downhill faster than the Freak's M25-54 ratings. 

I actually think we've got more options than when I first moved here in 1998. I definitely it hasn't gotten worse.

13 hours ago, Da Fino said:

The best thing for both parties is for this shit to go away. Cumulus can afford to drag this out, but they should be terrified of this going too far. If cumulus somehow lost this fight in court, it would be disastrous, because of the implications. I was aware of those salary numbers, I’m a little shocked to see them in public like that. That is some very dirty laundry. 

I'm too lazy to go look those up -- what salary numbers?

4 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

All the more reason to think he's super shitty for not advocating for his board ops, producer, and ticker guys

How do you know what he's done (or not done) to help the ancillary guys? Is it his fault Cumulus is cheap AF? Did Susquehana pay these positions better or is that an industry norm? Like it or not, he's part of the 'talent' -- and he was there at the beginning when who knew if the whole concept would work. Same with Rhynes. OK, so he's an asshole. So what? He's also the guy who started this whole party.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I read his contract last week and it did specifically state that the non-compete was effective through the last day of his employment and those provisions survived regardless of whether the contract itself was terminated. The part I thought was interesting was the Waiver argument.   No idea if there is any case law that helps him or not but the fact that he was contractually restricted from competing via podcast yet has had a separate podcast since 2011 without any objection from Cumulus seemed like a helpful argument.

Helpful but cumulus would argue it doesn’t give a fuck about TC but that Dan & Jake teaming up absolutely is harmful to them. 

3 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

nah it's really not

Yes it fucking is. People have enough to worry about and aren’t going to get into a dispute with their employer over non-talent pay. 

Having said that, you have no idea if Gordo and the Musers have or haven’t done that. 

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How do you know what he's done (or not done) to help the ancillary guys? Is it his fault Cumulus is cheap AF? Did Susquehana pay these positions better or is that an industry norm? Like it or not, he's part of the 'talent' -- and he was there at the beginning when who knew if the whole concept would work. Same with Rhynes. OK, so he's an asshole. So what? He's also the guy who started this whole party.

Go watch the Gordon/Sirois twitch again

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes it fucking is. People have enough to worry about and aren’t going to get into a dispute with their employer over non-talent pay. 

Having said that, you have no idea if Gordo and the Musers have or haven’t done that. 

Jake and Dan did it.

I do. Gordon said he had no idea what Jill or any other employee was making. Despite it being a running joke for years how low her pay was.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Jake and Dan did it.

I do. Gordon said he had no idea what Jill or any other employee was making. Despite it being a running joke for years how low her pay was.

9 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Gordon was the only host who didn’t want to help the junior employees during the pandy

It's all in the game, yo. The ancillary guys come and go -- and have since I started listening in 1998 and the station doesn't miss a beat when they leave. Just plug in the next kid from UNT. They're young and dumb and get some experience. They go somewhere else or leave the business. Sometimes the better "bit" players (Gen X) come back. Some (Followill) move on to bigger and better things. It's not Gordon's job or responsibility to supplement pay for the lesser guys. Kudos to Dan and Jake for taking that approach. But it's earth-shattering when The Hang Zone leaves, which is why it's pretty fucking dumb of Cumulus to ever let it get to this point. Pay the talent what it needs to be paid to stay. The Ticket's trajectory has been forever re-directed. Guess we'll see where it goes from here but Sean/Mino will never have a show the equal of The Hang Zone.

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Gordon was the only host who didn’t want to help the junior employees during the pandy

First, you don’t know that. Second, it’s not his goddamned responsibility to pay anyone one cent. That kind of mentality is total bullshit. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It's all in the game, yo. The ancillary guys come and go -- and have since I started listening in 1998 and the station doesn't miss a beat when they leave. Just plug in the next kid from UNT. They're young and dumb and get some experience. They go somewhere else or leave the business. Sometimes the better "bit" players (Gen X) come back. Some (Followill) move on to bigger and better things. It's not Gordon's job or responsibility to supplement pay for the lesser guys. Kudos to Dan and Jake for taking that approach. But it's earth-shattering when The Hang Zone leaves, which is why it's pretty fucking dumb of Cumulus to ever let it get to this point. Pay the talent what it needs to be paid to stay. The Ticket's trajectory has been forever re-directed. Guess we'll see where it goes from here but Sean/Mino will never have a show the equal of The Hang Zone.

We overrate the impact of The Hang Zone. The Ticket will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

First, you don’t know that. Second, it’s not his goddamned responsibility to pay anyone one cent. That kind of mentality is total bullshit. 

We overrate the impact of The Hang Zone. The Ticket will be fine. 

Maybe. But it was arguably the most complete show on the station and Dan was there 20+ years. The Ticket has had incredible longevity with Musers-Norm-BaD/Hang Zone-Hard Line lineup. Now that's been disrupted. I do agree with those who say Mino/Bass should've gotten 10-12 and Donnie/McLearin should've gone 12-3.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But it was arguably the most complete show on the station and Dan was there 20+ years. The Ticket has had incredible longevity with Musers-Norm-BaD/Hang Zone-Hard Line lineup. Now that's been disrupted. I do agree with those who say Mino/Bass should've gotten 10-12 and Donnie/McLearin should've gone 12-3.

Yeah. I think it could be a big deal. I would guess most listeners are p1s and the station is just on. Maybe ratings will stay high for the hardline with that shit lead-in. Maybe not. But I would have never gotten back into the hardline with Gen X without the hang zone lead in. Bob and corby alone were unlistenable. 

I dont know what the fuck cumulus is doing with this lawsuit. It's a little podcast with 3000 subs. No one is turning off the station to listen. Shit,  I'm a subscriber and haven't bothered to even open patreon in 2 weeks.

I dont think discovery will go how cumulus wants it to go. But if it all gets eaten up in mediation then whatever. 

Edited by pops

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is like Rhyner trying to force the issue that Ginobli was the best Spur when Parker and Duncan were on the team. No it’s not the most complete show. 

Edited by Porterhouse

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

This is like Rhyner trying to force the issue that Ginobli was the best Spur when Parker and Duncan were on the team. No it’s not the most complete show. 

That's your opinion and I'll grant you it's almost certainly a majority opinion.   But I'll say this, when I would open up the Sportsday top 10 on morning dog walks, I would inevitably listen to (i) any Dan and Jake segment first and (ii) whatever seemed interesting from Musers or Hardline with remaining tiem.   Granted I typically heard some of Musers/HL during commute but Dan and Jake were an automatic tune in for me to the extent I could listen to radio in afternoon.   If those guys ever do compete directly with either the Musers or HL, I'm betting I tune in to whatever station they are on during drive time more often than not.  

I can't even weigh in on anything 10-3 now as I haven't heard a second of it since new pairings were announced and don't really have any desire to.

I just don't get the mental gymnastics it would take to convince yourself this is some insignificant bump in the road for the station, especially given the way they reconstructed 10-3.  Maybe I'm wrong and it won't play out in the ratings at all.  But that won't be because the product didn't suffer.  12-3 now is absolute trash by comparison, and I hated the Invasion well before Norm left. 

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Well, Manu was better than Parker but Duncan was better than them all.

Signed,

Spurs Fan

• Hook 'Em 1

I work nights. I listen to the first hour of Musers on the way home. On the way to work I would listen to the Top Ten live, browse the Top Ten on the app or browse Dan & Jake.com. Now I listen to The Dumb Zone or The Freak driving in. The News Junkie isn't horrible and beats FOX Sports Radio 6 ways from Sunday.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, Manu was better than Parker but Duncan was better than them all.

Signed,

Spurs Fan

No he wasn’t. As a general basketball fan with common sense. Tim, Tony, Manu. 

Musers, HL, HZ. 

I do agree with you on Las Palmas. Forgot about that one. 

2 hours ago, threesheets said:

I just don't get the mental gymnastics it would take to convince yourself this is some insignificant bump in the road for the station, especially given the way they reconstructed 10-3.  Maybe I'm wrong and it won't play out in the ratings at all.  But that won't be because the product didn't suffer.  12-3 now is absolute trash by comparison, and I hated the Invasion well before Norm left. 

I doubt it. Drive time is what matters. I haven’t listened from 9-4 in years except in Ticket podcasts.  I mean, you can keep wishing failure on the station by posting ratings trying really hard to prove some downward trend, and you might be right middays for a little bit, but it won’t affect drive time shows, it never has, and The Ticket isn’t going anywhere. 

Go ahead and reply here name calling me a “fanboi” and pretend like using that term doesn’t make you a goddamned fairy. 

41 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No he wasn’t. As a general basketball fan with common sense. Tim, Tony, Manu. 

Musers, HL, HZ. 

I do agree with you on Las Palmas. Forgot about that one. 

Well, agree to disagree. They're close but give me Manu, who left a lot of stats on the table to be the best sixth man in basketball for many years. He also was the man when he led Argentina to the gold medal in 2004 or so. They're neck-and-neck in career Win Shares.

27 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Living in reality is wishing failure (on the station I listen to most) I guess.  I also guess I should apologize for knowing a great deal more than you about radio.

And yes, I'm also gay.  

At some point The Ticket will wind down. Various boards since ‘07 have been predicting Ticket failure since Greggo left. It hasn’t happened. The defections in 2023 should only help ratings (Norm leaving) or could stay flat or hurt (HZ leaving), but we don’t know. And when it hurts HL ratings because a substandard show is leading into it, then I’ll conclude they’re doomed. You literally have posted for years how other stations are gaining ground, and you’re continually kicked in the nuts. I’m not riding dick; I’m just being a realist. Maybe this is that time. But you sound like Greta Thunberg with your constant clamoring for inevitable change. 

42 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You literally have posted for years how other stations are gaining ground

I did that when they were gaining ground. Everything I've ever posted on this board ratings-wise has been pulled directly from Nielsen.  To cover your eyes and say it's bullshit is Q level denial.  And everyone knows the Ticket has been slaughtering everyone else in the market for a good while- not sure why I have no problem saying that now if I was full of shit all those other years.

Anyway, agree to disagree. 

36 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Not sure if I've already said this but that stream was goddamn cringe and I lost a ton of respect for Gordon for the way he handled that stream

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

agreed.  he was a bitch for that sit-down with sirois.

No idea how to watch this. How was he a bitch?

sirois was just making some direct points about lesser ticket employees getting shafted on pay and gordo was awkwardly acting like he had no idea about any of it.  it was fucking annoying that he couldn't just have an honest conversation with sirois about it.  and no, sirois wasn't implying that gordo should have made any kind of sacrifice financially for anyone.  gordo was just like "jeremy isn't compensated well?  I had no idea..."

Edited by futureman