$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

1 minute ago, immamac said:

ah yeah, spotify injects ads on top of the broadcast. I'm not sure if spotify premium removes these or not. You can listen on other platforms and those are not injected. 

Spotify premium does not remove these ads, though they may be less frequent. I do get less dickpill ads 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Agreed. I listen to the podcast audio as well. It's brutal. There will be 1-2 minutes of ads inserted into the program, and then Bobby or whoever will do another 30-60 second read. It's becoming unlistenable.

To be clear, I am a huge fan of what Bobby, Gerry, et. al. bring to the table. But they are producing too much material (it is therefore repetitive), and their podcasts come off very much like a website choked with pop-up ads. I hope this is seen as the constructive feedback it is intended to be.

Just fast forward. It really has become way too easy to live now a days. HBO MAX forcing 2 minute ads down my throat… that’s a beating. They’ve gone full circle on the ads(commercials). 

4 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Agreed. I listen to the podcast audio as well. It's brutal. There will be 1-2 minutes of ads inserted into the program, and then Bobby or whoever will do another 30-60 second read. It's becoming unlistenable.

To be clear, I am a huge fan of what Bobby, Gerry, et. al. bring to the table. But they are producing too much material (it is therefore repetitive), and their podcasts come off very much like a website choked with pop-up ads. I hope this is seen as the constructive feedback it is intended to be.

Content is king. If anything, they need to put more out there.

The way they package it could be better, but they are doing a great job so far, and their viewership is steadily growing as a result.

Whenever I watch, it feels like a good vibe and I'm sure they'll continue to build while maintaining that.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

They have no control over those ads it's done by Spotify/YT. The fact there are so many ads means the podcast/stream/video channel is doing well. 

Welcome to the 21st century of the internet brother.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They have no control over those ads it's done by Spotify/YT. The fact there are so many ads means the podcast/stream/video channel is doing well. 

yeah this is a platform thing. The ad reads I think are tasteful and appropriate. 

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I listen on apple podcasts and the ads are insane there too, but they're uploading the audio without any ads except for their sponsored reads? I don't notice randomly interjected ads on other pods I listen to 

These are dynamically inserted ads. It's up to the podcast creators whether the hosting company inserts them. They are definitely generating additional revenue for OTF. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is this that "enshittification" thing I keep reading about?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just fast forward. It really has become way too easy to live now a days. HBO MAX forcing 2 minute ads down my throat… that’s a beating. They’ve gone full circle on the ads(commercials). 
Amazon Prime now has ads as well...unless you're willing to pay a little more. Paying for something once and being done with it seems to be a thing of the past. Even carmakers like Tesla and BMW are wanting either extra money to unlock features already built into the car, or subscription service for certain things like remote start, wifi etc
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Is this that "enshittification" thing I keep reading about?

yes. Let me see if there's a way for us to host the podcast ad free (except the reads) so you can listen outside of the injected ones for subs only on OTF. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

These are dynamically inserted ads. It's up to the podcast creators whether the hosting company inserts them. They are definitely generating additional revenue for OTF. 

Gotcha. Wasn't sure how it worked but that's good to know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I really enjoy Gerry and Bobby but holy fuck man. Their last few podcasts have gone full NASCAR with the ads. One 30 minute podcast has 10 commercials now. And the YouTube video has ads plastered all over it. It’s really affecting the quality now. Just too much. 

The monday afternoon show with Gerry and CJ. Gerry seems to organically go into on OFT OG sell ,then 5 seconds later gets prompted to do an actual ad read. Smh. 

Not that i really care. But i still felt like overkill 

46 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

The monday afternoon show with Gerry and CJ. Gerry seems to organically go into on OFT OG sell ,then 5 seconds later gets prompted to do an actual ad read. Smh. 

Not that i really care. But i still felt like overkill 

How else do you suggest they make money? Do you work for free?

• Like 1

For watching on YT these are must have browser extensions

image.png.0ab36366600eca6fb92d55f136a493a9.png

Will remove the long ads at the beginning of YT videos and the ones that randomly pop up.

image.png.9bc9674c911fa30b4c969cb2da54783e.png

This will automatically skip sponsored reads in YT videos - Does not skip reads in Live streams.

Here is how the SponsorBlock works:
image.thumb.png.d09f498e18cafb16082cb29dfdc4aa22.png

The green on the length bar is sponsored reads. It automatically skips those thus cutting the video from 11:54 down to 10:35

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Soliver465 said:

I watch OTF on You Tube and do not get any inserts, just the reads.

This may be because I have YouTube TV but maybe not.

probably, I have youtube premium and never see ads.

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 11:31 AM, Newy25 said:

I really enjoy Gerry and Bobby but holy fuck man. Their last few podcasts have gone full NASCAR with the ads. One 30 minute podcast has 10 commercials now. And the YouTube video has ads plastered all over it. It’s really affecting the quality now. Just too much. 

Get youtube revanced

Watch on YouTube revanced

No ads other than their own ad reads you can easily fast forward

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For watching on YT these are must have browser extensions

image.png.0ab36366600eca6fb92d55f136a493a9.png

Will remove the long ads at the beginning of YT videos and the ones that randomly pop up.

image.png.9bc9674c911fa30b4c969cb2da54783e.png

This will automatically skip sponsored reads in YT videos - Does not skip reads in Live streams.

Here is how the SponsorBlock works:
image.thumb.png.d09f498e18cafb16082cb29dfdc4aa22.png

The green on the length bar is sponsored reads. It automatically skips those thus cutting the video from 11:54 down to 10:35

While I support this message, I would like to let the olds of the board know that YouTube has recently taken a very harsh stance against ad blockers. They're participating in a tactic known as CPU sweating. If an ad blocker is detected, they vastly increase cpu usage that slows down the site and deteriorates video quality as well. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Heard on the monetization stuff from the platforms. Exploring ways for subs to OTF to get an ad free experience for the streams and the rewatch/VODs

The twitter broadcast excludes video ads - they could embed that. 

Spoiler
  • Copy post url or share link
  • Go to publish.twitter.com
  • Scroll down to 'Embedded Video', click and paste link (if broadcast is in the URL, that's the wrong link. Take a post URL instead, like this: https://x.com/ontexasfootball/status/1780238872288330036)
  • Copy and paste html provided into destination page

Raw output: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re talking DeAndre Moore, Trey Moore and Dakorien Moore. Come on in for more!<a href="https://t.co/zEAFG2yHYm">https://t.co/zEAFG2yHYm</a></p>&mdash; OnTexasFootball (@ontexasfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/ontexasfootball/status/1780238872288330036?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This excludes the twitter framing so it looks like this:

image.png.a6e8bd3adefaeaccabfe0822a0eb798f.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

The twitter broadcast excludes video ads - they could embed that. 

Hide contents
  • Copy post url or share link
  • Go to publish.twitter.com
  • Scroll down to 'Embedded Video', click and paste link (if broadcast is in the URL, that's the wrong link. Take a post URL instead, like this: https://x.com/ontexasfootball/status/1780238872288330036)
  • Copy and paste html provided into destination page

Raw output: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;re talking DeAndre Moore, Trey Moore and Dakorien Moore. Come on in for more!<a href="https://t.co/zEAFG2yHYm">https://t.co/zEAFG2yHYm</a></p>&mdash; OnTexasFootball (@ontexasfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/ontexasfootball/status/1780238872288330036?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 16, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This excludes the twitter framing so it looks like this:

image.png.a6e8bd3adefaeaccabfe0822a0eb798f.png

the livestream is easy to get around it's the VOD's that I think most people are gonna have the issue with. We could simply set up something like this for OTF and be done with it and self-host https://cast.surlyhorns.com It's a bit more nuanced than just hacking around a certain way because we want it to be a subscription entitlement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

the livestream is easy to get around it's the VOD's that I think most people are gonna have the issue with. We could simply set up something like this for OTF and be done with it and self-host https://cast.surlyhorns.com It's a bit more nuanced than just hacking around a certain way because we want it to be a subscription entitlement. 

If you're going to host or store their video in an owned repo, it's pretty simple to provide for gated streaming with an open source media player widget on a member page. You're not getting platform features like subtitles and transcriptions, but it'd be ad free. 

And now we're beyond my very limited webdev knowledge. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

When will the forum be segmented into boards for Football, Recruiting, Other Sports, and Premium? Seems there’s enough content for at least those area interests right now. 

Listening to the OTF podcast in the car, it starts out with back to back commercials. Bobby kicks it off with a word from his sponsor before getting into Texas football talk for two minutes. Then it breaks into another commercial. That’s it for me and that podcast. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Guys I know that ads can be frustrating, but there is a fancy little button in all podcast players that can help solve this issue. I know it looks different in all apps but I promise it's there and you can find it. 

image.png.c025ef206f0905213986a039862dca31.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

lol yeah, my only complaint is about the number of podcasts, I don't have time to listen to them. It fills my need for entertaining background buzz. It's not like it's one of the Obama guys talking about kids getting massacred in Gaza and then cut to a Tinder ad. /no cr

Edited by RollingPresidential

5 hours ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

All informational media distributed by a for profit entity, through a for profit entity, is going to require revenue to support it's existence. You know, ads. "I don't like podcasts" would have been a fine summation. No one is taking roll. 

Also, Bobby Burton is a good guy and Longhorn, and Gerry Hamilton is one of the best individual contributors to recruiting coverage in the country, and hands down the best we've ever had. If I have to sit through some ads that directly support those two, so be it. OTF becoming a legitimate source of content is good for everyone and I do not understand the reflex to bitch about their efforts to promote a sustainable business. 

Yes I get all of that. But when a 20 minute podcast is half commercial, it’s still impossible to listen to. 

Everyone consumes this content differently. For me the bulk of the time I’m listening in the car or when I’m running or on the peleton. Those are not easy for me to fast forward through commercials. I’m also a large consumer of podcasts and OTF is by far the most loaded with commercials of any other content I consume. If the model requires 50% of the content to be commercials, it’s time to rethink the model. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Teryor said:

Guys I know that ads can be frustrating, but there is a fancy little button in all podcast players that can help solve this issue. I know it looks different in all apps but I promise it's there and you can find it. 

image.png.c025ef206f0905213986a039862dca31.png

There's this thing some of us do, where we listen while doing activities that tie up our eyes and hands, like riding bikes or driving.

• Hook 'Em 1

I listen on Apple podcasts, and also noticed about 5 days ago the ratio of ads went up significantly.  Even if these are "auto injected" ads, I doubt very much that Spotify and Apple both turned the dial on more ads simultaneously.  This was an OTF decision and they went too far, it's definitely enshitification. Before I'm accused of not supporting OTF, etc, I'm totally willing to pay for an ad-free version that shows up in my podcast feed (I don't use YT stream and their mobile player isn't good for my use cases: car, workouts).  In fact, I'd sign up for OTF just for that.  I figure anything useful on the OTF website typically shows up here within a few minutes so I don't need that, but the ad-free pod would be a value I'm for which I'm willing-to-pay.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Yes I get all of that. But when a 20 minute podcast is half commercial, it’s still impossible to listen to. 

Everyone consumes this content differently. For me the bulk of the time I’m listening in the car or when I’m running or on the peleton. Those are not easy for me to fast forward through commercials. I’m also a large consumer of podcasts and OTF is by far the most loaded with commercials of any other content I consume. If the model requires 50% of the content to be commercials, it’s time to rethink the model. 

Wait until you hear a 60 minute game last 4 hours....They quite literally have to push the envelope on ads since they are a independent publication. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

When will the forum be segmented into boards for Football, Recruiting, Other Sports, and Premium? Seems there’s enough content for at least those area interests right now. 

Probably never, it’s not a discussion board. The boards are designed for the subscribers to interact with Bobby, Gerry, Blake, CJ and the rest of the OTF crew. They are tied to their articles and general threads aren’t really the goal of the site, and it’s what this site is for. The community for OTF is every longhorn, it’s why the bulk of the content (non-written/video) is completely free and super accessible on platforms not owned by OTF

16 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Listening to the OTF podcast in the car, it starts out with back to back commercials. Bobby kicks it off with a word from his sponsor before getting into Texas football talk for two minutes. Then it breaks into another commercial. That’s it for me and that podcast. 

Heard, working on a fix for this. 

9 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I listen on Apple podcasts, and also noticed about 5 days ago the ratio of ads went up significantly.  Even if these are "auto injected" ads, I doubt very much that Spotify and Apple both turned the dial on more ads simultaneously.  This was an OTF decision and they went too far, it's definitely enshitification. Before I'm accused of not supporting OTF, etc, I'm totally willing to pay for an ad-free version that shows up in my podcast feed (I don't use YT stream and their mobile player isn't good for my use cases: car, workouts).  In fact, I'd sign up for OTF just for that.  I figure anything useful on the OTF website typically shows up here within a few minutes so I don't need that, but the ad-free pod would be a value I'm for which I'm willing-to-pay.

Will figure this out as stated above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How is the YT mobile App not good for driving or workouts? It's far easier to use than apple podcasts. On full screen you only have to double tap anywhere on the right side of the screen to fast forward. Don't even need to look at the screen to do it. On Apple you have to find that exact 30 second skip wheel. And for YT, provided you are smart and use Android, there's an easy to set up app to give YT premium for free. 

Some of you are too damn lazy to search for solutions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

How is the YT mobile App not good for driving or workouts? It's far easier to use than apple podcasts. On full screen you only have to double tap anywhere on the right side of the screen to fast forward. Don't even need to look at the screen to do it. On Apple you have to find that exact 30 second skip wheel. And for YT, provided you are smart and use Android, there's an easy to set up app to give YT premium for free. 

Board full of olds. Probably still pay for music on iTunes

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

YT mobile CarPlay app is terrible.  And unlike you I'm not a dangerous driver fumbling with my phone as I drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

YT mobile CarPlay app is terrible.  And unlike you I'm not a dangerous driver fumbling with my phone as I drive.

YT Music has all of the podcasts...of course if the ad reads are injected by the syndication method (I'm pretty sure they are) then this won't help you, but the ads would also be static and non dynamic so IDK how valuable those are. 

We obviously have access to the raw recordings of the media on our own that we can do whatever we want with (stay tuned here on surly for some of that)

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

YT Music has all of the podcasts...of course if the ad reads are injected by the syndication method (I'm pretty sure they are) then this won't help you, but the ads would also be static and non dynamic so IDK how valuable those are. 

We obviously have access to the raw recordings of the media on our own that we can do whatever we want with (stay tuned here on surly for some of that)

There's no way I'm the first to make this suggestion but I'd make it similar to Patreon where Premium members get access to a private RSS feed and access to cleaner unlisted/demonetized YT videos? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Teryor said:

There's no way I'm the first to make this suggestion but I'd make it similar to Patreon where Premium members get access to a private RSS feed and access to cleaner unlisted/demonetized YT videos? 

Agree and not trying to get pedantic but the ad free supported version should really be ad free, not just injected ads but snipped of reads for manscaped or whatever realtor.  Heckuva double-dip to pay AND have to still ad skip.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Thanks for confirming you're the type to pay for OnlyFans.

You sound mad.   Sorry for pointing out the fact that you are at a point in life where you actively spend time to save $12/month.  Point on the bear where life touched you.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

You sound mad.   Sorry for pointing out the fact that you are at a point in life where you actively spend time to save $12/month.  Point on the bear where life touched you.

Oh I get it it....you don't get the joke. 

See the joke is old people on this message board are buying individual songs and albums off iTunes still when shit like Spotify and YT Premium which include YT music exist. FWIW I have YT premium which is more expensive than $12/month. :) 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

I'm guessing his checking account and upward mobility. 

Just now, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Oh I get it it....you don't get the joke. 

See the joke is old people on this message board are buying individual songs and albums off iTunes still when shit like Spotify and YT Premium which include YT music exist. 

That's a pretty outdated joke considering Apple Music exists, for $10 a month, which I believe is the same as YT Music. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Apple music is arguably the worst of the streaming music services.

Imagine me spending my limited time on evaluating the best and worst streaming services as opposed to picking the easiest one that already has all my kid's playlists and going with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1