any of you hippies compost your waste?

52-80

I inherited a compost pile when I bought my house.  It's a 1 cubic yard pile fenced in a a crate/pallet thing.

I've added raw organic waste, some twigs and leaves, grass cuttings, and so on to it, and replenish with gardening soil from the store.  Occasionally I dig at it with a claw and hoe thing to keep it nicely mixed and aerated. 

Thing is I've only managed it through this winter, which more or less freezes things, so I can't tell if the compost is active.  Never seen worms burrowing through there though.

Now that Spring is starting again, do I need to buy some worms (from a bait shop??) and drop them in there?  Or just let nature do it's work?  Never seen many works in the yard and garden either....

Is the compost sitting directly on the ground?  If so, earthworms will find it.  If there is a barrier between it and the ground, you can add earthworms if you like, but it's not absolutely required.  Bacteria/fungi will do the job over time too.

This is a good (and short) book on the subject:  https://www.amazon.com/Let-Rot-Composting-Down-Earth/dp/1580170234

If you are going to use this compost to grow edibles (veggie garden, etc.), you might want to stop adding grass clippings to the pile if you spray your yard with weed killers or pesticides.  Leaves also decompose very slowly.  If you want to add leaves, you should chop them up to speed up the process.  Twigs/branches should not be added to the pile.

25 minutes ago, elfenix said:

^^ i bet that goes great with the rachel ray garbage bowl your wife bought

I was thinking the same exact thing last night while I was banging your mom! Amazing! (well, your mom wasn't, it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway)

On 2/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, Grippe said:

City of Austin has a composting program where they provide a bin for yard waste and other household stuff.  So we have one of the above and chuck it in the dumpster once a week.