The USPS vs its customers

Goredho

Putting this here, because Trump has called all negotiated deals with the USPS into question which is resulting in a lot of upheaval in the shipping industry.  Obviously this harms stamps.com in the short term.  How often does a $3B company lose 50% of its value overnight?  Long term, however, it looks like the USPS cannot compete well against other shipping carriers in terms of time/efficiency and is going to just let its biggest customers walk away.  I don't see how the USPS does not lose in the end.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/22/investing/stamps-com-postal-service-deal/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Stamps.com says it is ending an exclusive relationship with the US Postal Service, sending shares of its stock plunging more than 50%.

The company says Amazon is disrupting the shipping business, and it needs to do shipping deals with postal service competitors going into the future.
Amazon has popularized two-day shipping with its Prime service, and Stamps.com says its customers demand two-day shipping guarantees. FedEx (FDX), UPS (UPS) and DHL offer those guarantees. The Post Office doesn't.
"One of our nonnegotiable items is that ... we will no longer be exclusive to the USPS," said CEO Kenneth McBride in a call with analysts on Thursday evening. "USPS has not agreed to accept these terms or any other terms of our partnership proposal."

McBride said Stamps.com opted to discontinue its shipping partnership with the Postal Service so it can "fully embrace partnerships with other carriers who we think will be well positioned to win in the shipping business in the next five years."

more at the link

21 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I can do the next 5 pages of this thread in one post:

Poster One: "I hate the post office whenever I go there they fail to address me with deference and tell me I have to put an address on the box then they LOSE IT every time!" [x100 posters]

Poster Two: [putting down pipe after thoughtful pause] "I don't know, Old Bean, I've shipped 14,000 package via the USPS, and they get there quite promptly, sometimes even a day before I mail them." [x 5 posters]

Poster Three: "I delivered a package to your mom."

your mom has never complained about my package.

• Like 7

Guess I'll take this opportunity to scream at the heavens. Every week, the postman/postwoman dumps those stupid fucking Redplum ads in every mailbox and I really just wish they would save some trees because it goes directly into the recycling. They also deliver 5 Financial Times prints that are from 2 weeks ago on the same day. Apparently delivering a British newspaper on time is too hard for a San Antonio post office. /endrant

Edit: Buying/selling stocks based on insights from 2 week old FT is not recommended.

Edited by Eggo
  • Haha 2

Pro tip... red plum, retail me not, and most of those other shitbag junk mail ads have an email address down in the fine print you can use to take you address off their list.  I have a few single retailers still sending me crap but I was able to get rid of the big ones. 

My local strip center is anchored by a USPS office, an always empty PetSmart, a Stein Mary, and a recently shuttered Radio Shack.  People complain about how much money the feds spend on postal staff, it ain’t at my location.   Always just two people there no matter the time of year or day   

i think May be living in the future.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

My local strip center is anchored by a USPS office, an always empty PetSmart, a Stein Mary, and a recently shuttered Radio Shack.  People complain about how much money the feds spend on postal staff, it ain’t at my location.   Always just two people there no matter the time of year or day   

i think May be living in the future.  

I see the Jews and Catholics finally kissed, made up, and consolidated.  

• Like 2

My bad, Stein Mary is the orthodox stripper that needs extra tips for an abortion.  Always with the money with her.  At least she talked management into Fish Friday’s at the club.  

They are a strange bird.    even if I put my key into the community box to show that I am accessing the mail in my particular box while she still putting in the mail ,  she stops me and says I can’t touch anything .   

But on Sunday she’ll leave all of the neighbors Amazon packages with me if I’m playing out in the street with my daughter with the hopes that I’ll sort it all out later.  But on Sunday she’ll leave all of the neighbors Amazon packages with me if I’m playing out in the street with my daughter with the hopes that I’ll sort it all out later  

But I can’t grab the H-E-B circular in the red plum spam bundle if she still has so much is one other box open while I’m up there