Longhorns vs Boilermakers Series Thread

TrashMaster G

The biggest thing is we aren't good enough without Hamilton to have Reagan, Petrinsky and McCann on the bench for most of the game. 
Pierce seems adamant about getting guys experience early in the year but that mentality means we drop games like this. 

Holliday does the same thing at osu. Seems to work out in the long run.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Except you haven't seen our schedule

We were near 9-9 heading into Big 12 play last year and we still hosted a regional. The non-conference schedule might have even been more difficult last year. 

Just like last year our metrics/resume will be insane if they just stay above water in non-conference. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Dropping one game to Purdue is fine. 

Assuming we win the series tomorrow a single Purdue loss won't mean much of anything. 

The key is trying to get some results against LSU, Stanford and Arkansas. 9 games against top 15ish teams. If we could go 5-4 during that stretch it would be big. 

Last year during the same 9 game stretch with LSU, Stanford and Arkansas we only won 2. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's funny how reactionary you are to individual games. If you watched the first two games of this series and the Southern Miss series it's pretty obvious Purdue doesn't have much pitching depth. 

I didn’t get to catch that So Miss-Purdue series on TV.

I did go to both games today and watched their bullpen give up 3 earned runs and pitch most of the 1 hit game. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Enfield said:

I didn’t get to catch that So Miss-Purdue series on TV.

I did go to both games today and watched their bullpen give up 3 earned runs and pitch most of the 1 hit game. 

Peterson gave up 3 runs, 4 hits, 2 BB in 4 innings of work in game 1 today. He was far from effective out of the pen. Especially given the fact Texas made a bunch of changes at the end of the game once they were up big. 

There is no denying Purdue's bullpen pitched well in the 2nd game tonight but they've been bad outside of the 2nd game tonight. 

Game 1 against Southern Miss their bullpen (3.8 IP, 5 runs, 6 walks), game 2 against Southern Miss their bullpen (2.2 IP, 1 run, 1 walk), game 3 against Southern Miss (1.8 IP, 12 runs, 8 walks), game 1 against Texas their bullpen (3.4 IP, 5 runs, 4 walks), game 2 against Texas their bullpen (4 IP, 3 runs, 2 walks). 

It is early in the season but based on the first 5 games Purdue's weakness definitely seems to be their bullpen. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m a happy baseball fan when Pokes and Horns are battling for the conference crown.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, some coaches treat nonconference like preseason to develop guys for conference play.  

Holliday has definitely had success with that approach in the Big 12. In 6 years as the head coach he's finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 8th, and 2nd in the Big 12. He's almost always had Oklahoma State near the top by the end of conference play.