Longhorns vs Boilermakers Series Thread

TrashMaster G

Good  series of baseball for Texas. Young guys get in and made a couple mistakes but they didn’t flinch and it showed we got a good group of young talented dudes.  Pitching was great and didn’t let off against a subpar opponent,  which is nice to see. Bats can be a little inconsistent but it still it’s the beginning of the season. Can’t wait for LSU.   

Yeah, only disconcerting thing is 6 hits in the last 20 innings against the rectal end of a mediocre pitching staff gassed after long travel and several games of getting beaten around. 

I know the bats got rest in the last 24 hours, hope the arms do as well as SHSU looks like it can put some runs up against good pitching.  

Gonna be a great week for Longhorn baseball fans.  Pretty good weather forecast, salty mid-week competition between SHSU and UTSA.  And a kickass weekend of tailgating/crawfish season and a Top 5 LSU squad coming in to test our grit.  

22 minutes ago, chase25 said:

We just watched our future Saturday starter get a nice save. Good series win, have to do a better job of adjusting at the plate as the game goes. Guys just took the back door breaking ball for a strike all day

Love that kid's mechanics. Excited to see what he has in store. 

Edited by TornACL

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know the bats got rest in the last 24 hours, hope the arms do as well as SHSU looks like it can put some runs up against good pitching.  

Gonna be a great week for Longhorn baseball fans.  Pretty good weather forecast, salty mid-week competition between SHSU and UTSA.  And a kickass weekend of tailgating/crawfish season and a #1 Ranked LSU squad coming in to test our grit.  #2 in another poll.

fify

15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

True Arch, but do remember that they beat us like a drum last year and yet only one of the two teams made the CWS and it wasn't them.

Baseball's a crazy game.

I don’t recall the drum beating but for one game. We won one and the other we had a nice 5 inning lead before shutting the bed fielding and leaving shugart in too long. 

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Purdue’s  record right now is not very good but  By the end of the year I iimaginr they’ll wind up being a pretty good ballclub.

They seemed pretty solid defensively and most of their pitchers threw strikes.  But they didn’t show much pop. I think will lose more than their fair share of low scoring games.  

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

morris-buttermaker-300x200_orig.jpg

It would have been too trite to have Buttermaker drinking Boilermakers.  

Thankfully that movie holds up wonderfully after several decades, even the reboot (though the sequels were just fucking awful).

But the Matthau and the original are so good that to this day, when I hear, "Bad News Bears", my mind should go to Baylor gang rape...but it doesn't.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It would have been too trite to have Buttermaker drinking Boilermakers.  

Thankfully that movie holds up wonderfully after several decades, even the reboot (though the sequels were just fucking awful).

But the Matthau and the original are so good that to this day, when I hear, "Bad News Bears", my mind should go to Baylor gang rape...but it doesn't.  

I am pretty sure he did make some boilermakers in the movie at least a couple of times

need to watch again it has been years

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

True Arch, but do remember that they beat us like a drum last year and yet only one of the two teams made the CWS and it wasn't them.

Baseball's a crazy game.

Yes, especially in a short season. 

And I didn't mean par in a bad way.  2-2 would have been a letdown, but 3-1 is respectable.  I think we're gonna be pretty good.