Christchurch, NZ mosque shooting

Brisketexan

13 hours ago, Ptown said:

So now being critical of islam means you killed people in New Zealand? Thats what hugo is saying. I dont know how his arms stay attached to his body with all the reaching he does. 

I'm sure there are personalities for whom incendiary rhetoric is used as a catalyst for violence.

I'm equally sure that guys like the lunatic in question can be radicalized by the Islamic terrorists who've been murdering innocent men, women and children all over the world for decades.

Having spent a lot of time in New Zealand, this entire thing is almost unfathomable to me. Of all places, NZ is really the last place I would have expected this to happen. Some of the most open and kind people I've ever encountered.

Bangladesh cricket team was in Christchurch for a test match against the Kiwis.  Apparently their coaches' press conference ran a few minutes late so the shooting already started by the time their bus arrived at the mosque for Friday prayers.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26270448/there-shooting-here-please-save-us

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Having spent a lot of time in New Zealand, this entire thing is almost unfathomable to me. Of all places, NZ is really the last place I would have expected this to happen. Some of the most open and kind people I've ever encountered.

'New Zealand is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful country I've ever known in my life ?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Whether you like it or not, that is the right we are afforded living in a democratic society is it not? Speak your mind without reprisal? Dude may be an idiot but he has the right. As opposed to many other countries where he migh be stoned or hanged.

8 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Whether you like it or not, that is the right we are afforded living in a democratic society is it not? Speak your mind without reprisal? Dude may be an idiot but he has the right. As opposed to many other countries where he migh be stoned or hanged.

You should learn what freedom of speech actually is.  It isn’t speech without reprisal. You say something assholish, expect a reaction. 

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Make no mistake, this was New Zealand’s 9/11 and they are handling it as well as anyone could.

I don’t think wanting to pass laws restricting the rights of their citizens to bear arms is handling things well. It’s their country not mine so I don’t care.

I’m waiting on my car and had to chuckle with these tools on CNN saying white nationalist terrorism is the greatest threat to our country. Bullshit it’s not. Islamic terror is and we should never lose focus on that.

What pisses me off about this situation is my family are secular and so are all of our friends who were no longer welcome when the Muslims came to power in Iran. Great civilizations in the pre-Islamic period in Egypt and Iran were run roughshod by Muslim invaders. My heroes Ataturk and Shah Reza had the cops rip hijabs off women wearing them in public. They understood the threat Islam poses. Muslims will do the same here if given the opportunity.

What’s worse is that they have been emboldended and gotten uppity even though those who wear hijabs are by that act alone have shown their hostility to Western and American values. A group like CAIR should never be allowed to operate in this country. They’re an extension of the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood. Does this mean that some little lady that wears a hijab minding her own business is a terrorist or threat. No. But Muslims as a community have alien values and mentality and to pretend that’s not the case is ridiculous.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 1

I don’t think wanting to pass laws restricting the rights of their citizens to bear arms is handling things well. It’s their country not mine so I don’t care.
I’m waiting on my car and had to chuckle with these tools on CNN saying white nationalist terrorism is the greatest threat to our country. Bullshit it’s not. Islamic terror is and we should never lose focus on that.
What pisses me off about this situation is my family are secular and so are all of our friends who were no longer welcome when the Muslims came to power in Iran. Great civilizations in the pre-Islamic period in Egypt and Iran were run roughshod by Muslim invaders. My heroes Ataturk and Shah Reza ripples hijabs off women wearing them in public. They understood the threat Islam poses. Muslims will do the same here if given the opportunity.
What’s worse is that they have been emboldended and gotten uppity even though those who wear hijabs are by that act alone have shown their hostility to Western and American values. A group like CAIR should never be allowed to operate in this country. They’re an extension of the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood. Does this mean that some little lady that wears a hijab minding her own business is a terrorist or threat. No. But Muslims as a community have alien values and mentality and to pretend that’s not the case is ridiculous.

Yeah. And we wonder why people shoot up mosques and kill 49 people to “defend our civilization.”

Thinking just like this is why. After all, if they are the greatest threat we face, it only makes sense to take them out. Really, it’s an act of self defense.

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What pisses me off about this situation is my family are secular and so are all of our friends who were no longer welcome when the Muslims came to power in Iran. Great civilizations in the pre-Islamic period in Egypt and Iran were run roughshod by Muslim invaders. My heroes Ataturk and Shah Reza ripples hijabs off women wearing them in public. They understood the threat Islam poses. Muslims will do the same here if given the opportunity.

How many deaths due to domestic Islamic terrorism have there been since 9/11? 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah. And we wonder why people shoot up mosques and kill 49 people to “defend our civilization.”

Thinking just like this is why. After all, if they are the greatest threat we face, it only makes sense to take them out. Really, it’s an act of self defense.

You and your family haven’t had to suffer under the Muslim yoke. Look what Erdogan is doing in Turkey. Shitting on my hero’s legacy as a secular republic. Educated Turks are leaving. 

There has to be a happy medium between killing innocent Muslims and willful ignorance of the danger they present. Pretending that the Muslim community are like the Italians, Irish, etc immigrants is foolish. I support a moratorium on immigration from Muslim countries 

• Fuck You 1

How many deaths due to domestic Islamic terrorism have there been since 9/11? 

Orlando, San Bernardino, Chattanooga, Boston Marathon, Ft Hood. (Off the top of my head)

Comparing body counts is a dumb way to compare threats to the American public. But I’d say deranged white guy, school shootings, and Islamic terrorism are all equally horrific ways to go. Just like lightening strike or shark attack.

• Like 1

Just now, Llano Estacado said:

Orlando, San Bernardino, Chattanooga, Boston Marathon, Ft Hood.

Comparing body counts is a dumb way to compare threats to the American public. But I’d say deranged white guy, school shootings, and Islamic terrorism are all equally horrific ways to go. Just like lightening strike or shark attack.

You’re right, body count is probably a poor way of counting. I’d say the better way to compare dangers to society is to figure out which ideology is actively trying to infiltrate our highest institutes and subvert our republic. 

Yep, white nationalists are a much bigger threat right now. 

• Like 1

Don’t act like Muslims don’t massacre Christians in Africa either.

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

You’re right, body count is probably a poor way of counting. I’d say the better way to compare dangers to society is to figure out which ideology is actively trying to infiltrate our highest institutes and subvert our republic. 

Well yer tone changed pretty damned quickly when examples were posted.  What was your point in asking that question ?

So if body count doesn’t matter, and it shouldn’t. How is white nationalism and bigger boogie man to you than a jihadi attacking a restaurant in DT Houston is to Icono?

Order in, home school the kids, and start wearing Kevlar or live your life. Risk ranking terrorism of any kind is just trying to score political points.
  • Like 2

Just now, Llano Estacado said:

So if body count doesn’t matter, and it shouldn’t. How is white nationalism and bigger boogie man to you than a jihadi attacking a restaurant in DT Houston is to Icono?

Order in, home school the kids, and start wearing Kevlar or live your life. Risk ranking terrorism of any kind is just trying to score political points.

Because right now, The bigger threats are coming from far right wing, white nationalists. Is there an Islamic terrorism threat? Of course, no one is arguing there isn’t. Literally no one.

white nationalists are actively infiltrating the government to try and spread their ideology. All this crying about sharia law, when it’s happening from the right as we speak. 

People need to wake the fuck up. There is a movement and it’s gaining strength, but keep ignoring it. Let me guess, you’re a straight, white, male?

52 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You and your family haven’t had to suffer under the Muslim yoke. Look what Erdogan is doing in Turkey. Shitting on my hero’s legacy as a secular republic. Educated Turks are leaving. 

There has to be a happy medium between killing innocent Muslims and willful ignorance of the danger they present. Pretending that the Muslim community are like the Italians, Irish, etc immigrants is foolish. I support a moratorium on immigration from Muslim countries 

Next you'll claim Christianity is a religion of peace.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

But Muslims as a community have alien values and mentality and to pretend that’s not the case is ridiculous.

You want to talk alien values, let's talk Christians. You fuckers are crazy and think everyone that doesn't worship your zombie is a threat.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well to be fair there are more of them than Muslims in country.  So was that your point ?  

So you're finally admitting there are millions of white supremacists?

Dang, I thought they were a small niche group.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

So you're finally admitting there are millions of white supremacists?

Dang, I thought they were a small niche group.

I'm sorry, when did I say millions ?  You really should go back, and write down the words you don't understand, and I'll explain them to you.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Let me guess, you’re a straight, white, male?

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.
  • Like 4

I guess I would be wasting my breath to say the dude isn't a conservative, he isn't right, he's a fascist. He said; "“The nation with the closest political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.”

https://www.city-journal.org/new-zealand-massacre

Scanning the global media, I’ve noted dozens of people calling the manifesto writer and apparent gunman—an Australian citizen named Brenton Tarrant—a member of the “far right” and a Donald Trump fan; in fact, Tarrant rejects Trump’s politics and explains that “the nation with the closest political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.” He denies being either a Christian or a conservative. He has been repeatedly called a “white supremacist,” but his manifesto (reliable or not) isn’t a declaration of racial supremacy or superiority. It is, at least in part, an expression of rage about the steady repopulation of Europe by believers in an alien ideology and practitioners of a radically foreign culture—a legitimate concern, though by no means a legitimate excuse for Tarrant’s actions. Tarrant is also a fanatical environmentalist (“Green nationalism,” he avers, “is the only true nationalism”) and a fierce supporter of trade unions and “workers’ rights”—details that you probably won’t hear much about during the next few days.

I guess I would be wasting my breath to say the dude isn't a conservative, he isn't right, he's a fascist. He said; "“The nation with the closest political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.”
https://www.city-journal.org/new-zealand-massacre
Scanning the global media, I’ve noted dozens of people calling the manifesto writer and apparent gunman—an Australian citizen named Brenton Tarrant—a member of the “far right” and a Donald Trump fan; in fact, Tarrant rejects Trump’s politics and explains that “the nation with the closest political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.” He denies being either a Christian or a conservative. He has been repeatedly called a “white supremacist,” but his manifesto (reliable or not) isn’t a declaration of racial supremacy or superiority. It is, at least in part, an expression of rage about the steady repopulation of Europe by believers in an alien ideology and practitioners of a radically foreign culture—a legitimate concern, though by no means a legitimate excuse for Tarrant’s actions. Tarrant is also a fanatical environmentalist (“Green nationalism,” he avers, “is the only true nationalism”) and a fierce supporter of trade unions and “workers’ rights”—details that you probably won’t hear much about during the next few days.

Did he kill Muslims because he loves trees? Or maybe it was because he loves China. Or maybe it was because he loves unions.

Or maybe....and I’m just spitballin’ here...it’s because he believes that Muslims are incompatible with and a threat to western civilization, a perfect reflection of the rhetoric of trump, Miller, Bannon, Owens, Hannity, Dobbs, etc etc.

Nah, that couldn’t be it. It was clearly about trees.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Did he kill Muslims because he loves trees? Or maybe it was because he loves China. Or maybe it was because he loves unions.

Or maybe....and I’m just spitballin’ here...it’s because he believes that Muslims are incompatible with and a threat to western civilization, a perfect reflection of the rhetoric of trump, Miller, Bannon, Owens, Hannity, Dobbs, etc etc.

Or maybe he took inspiration from the Chinese as he claims in his manifesto. They have after all created a highly sophisticated surveillance state in Xinjiang to keep the Muslims in check and have over a million Uighurs in re-education camps. Maybe it’s worth your time to read what he wrote like I did to see where his motivations came from.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Islam teaches that the penalty for homosexuality is death. Among other reasons, I think that's incompatible with Western Civilization.

Treating women like cattle would be another. No respect for freedom of speech or religion. It's really a long list and I don't have time to list every objectionable item.

Edited by Thetexashammer

I'm not getting back into this thresher, but in the interest of maybe lightening things up just a tiny bit...

Brisket, I just happened to be channel surfing and came across this Taladega Nights scene.

Somethin' about it just reminded me of us...

Edited by Cajun

Islam teaches that the penalty for homosexuality is death. Among other reasons, I think that's incompatible with Western Civilization.
Treating women like cattle would be another. No respect for freedom of speech or religion. It's really a long list and I don't have time to list every objectionable item.

Yeah. Probably ought just skip all that stuff and take care of the problem.

That’s what your cohort in NZ did.
  • Like 1