2019 MLB thread

spystud13

18 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I feel bad for Davis. He Hass to publicly humiliate himself and have all the fans hate him more and more every day in order to get the money he’s signed on for.   He has to have zero confidence that he will ever be productive again. He knows it’s over.  But he has to keep going through the motions and pretending because of the contract.  Golden handcuffs yo. 

Or he's just forcing their hand to cut him and pay him so that he can go retire on a beach.  

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Make it 0-17 with 11Ks

And cue golden sombrero watch...

Edit: nope. PH for by Hanser Alberto...who receives a standing O for removing Davis from the game

Hanser Alberto pinch hitting for anyone other than a pitcher or an injured player is something I never thought I’d hear. Chris Davis, man. Jesus Christ. 

• Like 1

Or he's just forcing their hand to cut him and pay him so that he can go retire on a beach.  

Please please please restructure his deal to get him an annual payment on, say, July 1 every year until ~2050.

He can go retire on a beach.
O’s can get someone else someone else that has future value to them some experience.
Fans get a new annual holiday until the back half of the century
Win, win, win.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I feel bad for Davis. He Hass to publicly humiliate himself and have all the fans hate him more and more every day in order to get the money he’s signed on for.   He has to have zero confidence that he will ever be productive again. He knows it’s over.  But he has to keep going through the motions and pretending because of the contract.  Golden handcuffs yo. 

If it ever got too much for him, he could always retire. 

so tomorrow, the second friday of the season, there are 12 games.  so 6 teams are off.  on a friday night (typically the first full slate of the week where all the games are ~the same time).

i get that half of the teams are having their home opener this weekend, and they want to prepare for that nasty april weather, but could they not have monday be the off day, and just play the 3rd game then if there was a rainout?

if you're a nats fan and you wanted to go to the home opener (or 2nd game), your options were thursday afternoon, or friday saturday afternoon.

top notch work by the scheduling guys.

Stark:

We’re one week into another spectacular baseball season. And already, this sport has pretty much shredded the script and gone rogue. But here at Useless Information Department World Headquarters, it’s our job to remind you again … that’s a good thing.

So welcome, folks, to another baseball season, where Week One was a classic refresher course in Anything Can Happen magic. How cool is baseball? So cool that …

• Russell Martin (he’s a catcher) closed out a game the Dodgers won before Kenley Jansen (he’s a closer)!
  • The reigning NL Cy Young (Jacob deGrom) hit a home run before the reigning NL home run champ (Nolan Arenado)!
  • A guy who hadn’t homered since May 5 (Delino DeShields Jr.) went deep before a guy who just signed the biggest contract in history (Mike Trout)!
  • Yadier Molina (he’s a catcher) played third base before Todd Frazier, Kyle Seager or Mike Moustakas (we used to call them “third basemen”)!
  • Zack Greinke (he’s a pitcher – for the Diamondbacks) had a two-homer game in exotic Petco Park before Manny Machado or Eric Hosmer (who are merely the two highest-paid players in the history of the team that plays in Petco)!
  • Madison Bumgarner (he’s still a pitcher) got to make a home-run trot before any Giants outfielder (is it too late to activate Barry Bonds?)!
  • Adalberto Mondesi (he’s a Royals infielder) hit an inside-the-park homer before any Royals outfielder hit an outside-the-park homer (is it too late to activate Bo Jackson?)!
  • Yasmani Grandal (he’s a catcher) stole a base before Billy Hamilton (he’s pretty close to the fastest dude in the history of baseball)!
  • Alex Avila (he hit .165 last year) drew an intentional walk before Joey Votto (who has drawn 110 of them over the last eight years)!
  • The Orioles (they lost 115 games last year) reached four wins before the Yankees and Red Sox – combined (they won 208 last year)!
  • And in a related development, the three last-place teams in the AL last year (Orioles, Tigers, Rangers) won five series this year before the four teams that reached the ALDS (Red Sox, Yankees, Indians, Astros) won any series!

Baseball: Strange. True. Awesome!

Happy New Year Dept. 

What a season. Already. Anyone see any of this in your crystal balls?

THE FIRST MULTI-HOMER GAME OF 2019 – Came from Kolten Wong. And how many multi-homer games did he have last year? That would be none. How many did he have in the previous four seasons combined? That would also be none.

CHRIS SALE – Gave up seven runs on Opening Day. Want to guess how many runs he gave up in July, August and September combined last year (over nine starts)? That would be six.

TREA TURNER – Stole three bases on Opening Day. And how many times did he steal three bases in a game last year? That would be zero.

BLAKE SNELL – Faced 700 hitters last year – and gave up a first-pitch homer to one of them. By the top of the fourth inning in his Opening Day start against Houston, he’d faced 13 hitters – and allowed a first-pitch homer to two of them.

ROBINSON CANÓ – Played in eight Opening Day games as a Yankee and hit a home run in none of them. So what did he do in his first at-bat of his first opener as a Met? He homered. What else?

THE BLUE JAYS – Launched their season with four consecutive games in which their starting pitchers allowed zero runs. And how many times last year did their starters even make two starts in a row without giving up a run? Right you are. That would be never.

THE MARINERS – Played 324 games in 2017 and 2018 and never once hit five home runs (or more) in any of them. So how many home runs did they hit in their first game this year on this side of the Pacific? That would be (yep) five.

THE TWINS – Became the first team since the 2001 Randy Johnson/Curt Schilling Diamondbacks to kick off a season with double-figure strikeout games from their first two starting pitchers of the year (in this case José Berríos and Jake Odorizzi). Want to guess how many times Twins starters knocked off back-to-back double-figure strikeout games last year – or the nine seasons before that, for that matter? How’d you know? That would be none.

THE ORIOLES – Never did get around to winning back-to-back road series at any point last year. So how did they start 2019? By winning series in New York and Toronto. Obviously.

And finally…

THE RED SOX (A WHOLE-NEW-YEAR COLUMN UNTO THEMSELVES) –Lost three games – and gave up 16 home runs – during the entire postseason last year. Then came this year. Whereupon they lost six games – and allowed 18 home runs – just in the first week of this season. So how the heck did that happen? Because, as we’re required by law to mention at times like this … it isn’t last year anymore!

Who needs a closer?

My mother once said I should write a book – and call it: “I Never Saw That Before.” I haven’t gotten around to writing that opus yet. But I’d still like to thank Dave Roberts and Russell Martin for their fine work last Saturday in giving me one more chapter – by doing something nobody has ever seen before.

Roberts manages a team that has played in the last two World Series. Then, three games into this season, he found his team heading into the ninth inning with a cushy 18-5 lead against the Diamondbacks. So which of his trusted relievers did he call upon to get the last three outs?

Uh, none of the above.

Instead, he waved for his catcher, the aforementioned Russell Martin. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was incredible.

Maybe you’ve gotten numb to all those position players who have been marching to the mound over the last couple of seasons – 67 of them and counting, as we speak. But you know when those mystery pitchers have essentially never, ever marched to the mound?

How about in the ninth inning of a game their team was winning!

Oh, we’ve seen pitchers get the final out or three in games that went on for hours and hours, not to mention innings and innings. Like these three, for example:

DATE “PITCHER” TEAM INNING(S)
5/25/11 Wilson Valdéz Phillies 19th
5/6/12 Chris Davis Orioles 16th-17th
7/29/14 John Baker Cubs 16th

But that was (very) extra innings. This Russell Martin outing was in the ninth inning. Three days into the season. So how rare was that? Here’s how rare:

• First off, we should mention that at the time, the list of pitchers who hadn’t closed out a game their team was winning included Sean Doolittle, Wade Davis, Raisel Iglesias, Felipe Vázquez, Alex Colomé and, what the heck, might as well throw in Craig Kimbrel. But Russell Martin beat them all to it!
  • In other news, only two other active pitchers have ever been dragged into a game with their team leading in any inning. One was Rays catcher Jesús Sucre, last July 3 in the 16thinning. (Inherited a five-run lead, faced four hitters, gave up hits to three, was gonged abruptly.) The other was Tigers utility wiz Andrew Romine on Sept. 30, 2017. (Got one out in the eighth inning, with a one-run lead, as part of a play-all-nine-positions extravaganza on the next-to-last day of the season). But this was kind of different from either of the above.
  • As MLB.com reported, the last “position player” to finish out a nine-inning game which his team won was the Tigers’ Willie Smith, who got the final out of a 4-1 win over the Washington Senators on Sept. 23, 1963. But … Smith did stuff like that all the time. He pitched 29 times in his career. And my longtime rule of thumb on these weighty matters is that you don’t count as a “true” position player if you’ve been out there more than 10 times. So sorry, Willie. Thanks for stopping by.
  • Which means that, in the last century, there has been only one legit position player besides Russell Martin who trotted out to the mound in a game his team was winning in the ninth inning – and finished it off. That would be Senators infielder Gil Torres, on June 8, 1946. He got the final two outs of a game his team was leading by one run. No idea what that was all about. But the key wording there was “two outs.” So he, too, was no Russell Martin.

Now granted, Martin was pitching with a 13-run lead. So even he admits he felt remarkably secure about his ability to get three outs before he gave up 13 runs.

#Dodgers Russell Martin on his pitching debut: "It would have been really tough to blow that lead. It would have been really, really tough to blow that lead."

Good point. Nevertheless, this man twirled a fabulous 1-2-3 ninth inning – to finish out a game his team won. And nobody in the mystery-pitching annals of baseball-reference.com has done anything like that. We went back 111 years. Not a 1-2-3 ninth in there anywhere. Tremendous.

But wait! We have bonus notes on this game!

• The “pitcher” who got the final six outs for the D-backs in this game was their backup catcher, John Ryan Murphy. We’ll ignore the 11-baserunners, 6-outs portion of Murphy’s work, because this is way more important:
    How unusual is a nine-inning game in which position players pitch for the winning and losing team? Let’s just say that if there has ever been another, I can’t find it.
  • And finally, there’s this, courtesy of The Athletic’s Kaitlyn McGrath, dating back to Martin’s triumphant gig as John Gibbon’s substitute manager in his final game in Toronto last fall…

In his last three MLB games, Russell Martin has been a manager, a catcher and a pitcher

Russell Martin. He can do it all. Pitch. Catch. And go 1-2-3 in the ninth.

Who needs a DH?

All our favorite National League pitchers heard about all winter was that the DH was coming to both leagues – so they might as well use those bats they just ordered for firewood. Then the season started. And those NL pitchers are making a compelling case that goes something like this:

We don’t need no stinking DH.

NL pitchers have swatted six home runs already. Six. So here come six fun tidbits on the offensive havoc being wreaked by baseball’s sweet-swinging pitchers so far:

D-BACK-BACK-BACK – Possibly my favorite stat of the season so far, thanks to Zack Greinke and Luke Weaver:

HR by Diamondbacks pitchers: 3
HR by all AL Central cleanup hitters combined: 1

O-FERS IN THE OUTFIELD – There’s also this: 

HR by Diamondbacks pitchers: 3
Outfields with no HR: Rockies, Cubs, Twins, Indians, Reds, White Sox

THE HOMER HUNTER – Speaking of Greinke, how about this crazy note from the Elias Sports Bureau? Greinke on Tuesday: Two homers hit, two homers allowed – both to Hunter Renfroe.

You know how long it had been since any pitcher hit two home runs and served up two home runs to the same batter in the same game? Only 124 years – since Frank Foreman (Reds) hit two and gave up two to Walt Wilmot (Cubs) on July 4, 1895! And don’t go looking for the Frank Foreman highlights on YouTube, OK?

ZACK ATTACK – Once upon a time, Zack Greinke won a Cy Young award. That was in 2009. Ten years later, he had a two-homer game. Would you believe he’s just the third Cy Young winner ever to make two home run trots in one game? Here you go:

DATE CY YOUNG HR
4/2/2019 Zack Greinke 2
9/1/1971 Fergie Jenkins* 2
8/23/1958 Don Drysdale 2
9/19/1956 Don Newcombe* 2

(*Won Cy Young that season)

THE CY-BORG – And since we’re working that Cy Young theme, did Jacob deGrom have himself a day Wednesday? A home run – and 14 strikeouts – in the same game? He’s the first reigning Cy Young in history to do all that on the same day. Because of course he is. But I did find three other guys who had a day like that on the way to winning a Cy Young that year:

Steve Carlton – Aug. 21, 1977
Tom Seaver – May 29, 1973
Early Wynn – May 1, 1959

*Oh. And one more thing: It had been more than three decades since any reigning Cy Young homered before the reigning home-run champ in his league. Last to do it, according to the sensational MLB Network research department: Rick Sutcliffe, who trotted out his trot before Mike Schmidt in 1985.

MAD-NESS – Obviously, no compendium of pitcher long balls would be complete without a Madison Bumgarner tidbit. According to Statcast, his 358-foot bomb Tuesday at Dodger Stadium was the hardest-hit ball by any Giants hitter that night (104.0 miles per hour).

But it was also the 18th homer of his career – and only one active pitcher (Adam Wainwright, with 10) is even with 10 of him. So MadBum is just two furious hacks away from No. 20. And he’d undoubtedly want to know that, among pitchers whose careers started in the last 60 years, only three have joined that 20-Homer Club. Great list!

PITCHER HR
Earl Wilson 35
Bob Gibson 24
Carlos Zambrano 24

(Source – Lee Sinins’ Complete Baseball Encyclopedia)

Useless Information of the week

THE UNWELCOME MATT – It took Matt Kemp exactly two games to get ejected from his first game as a Red. Here’s why we care:

Because Kemp has now gotten thrown out of a game in nine seasons in a row. And if it seems like that’s a lot, it’s because, well, that’s a lot. It’s the longest streak by any active player, according to Stats LLC. (Carlos Gómez is next, with seven.) And it’s the longest since Pudge Rodríguez got ejected 10 years in a row, from 2001-10.

But in the career-ejections race, Kemp has now pulled ahead of Pudge, 17-16. So in a world in which replay has all but killed the managerial ejection, I’m sure the umpires of America would like to thank Kemp for keeping them entertained. Or not.

OK, WHERE WAS I? – Christian Yelich! Is he going to win every award but the Nobel Peace Prize? He collected an MVP trophy for the way he finished last season. And how did he start this season? By winning an NL Player of the Week award – in the first week of the season.

That doesn’t happen every year, by the way. In fact, it’s happened only in these years:

YEAR DEFENDING MVP
2018 Christian Yelich
2002 Barry Bonds
1988 George Bell
1974 Reggie Jackson

(*Excellent work by Reggie, since he won the first Player of the Week award ever!)

JUST JOSHING – Josh Hader is a human Useless Info column waiting to happen. And for his latest stupendous feat, he just ripped off his first ever Immaculate Save last Saturday: Three outs. Three Whiffs. Nine pitches. Seven ugly swings and misses.

It’s just the eighth Immaculate Save in the last 25 seasons. And how many of those other Immaculate Saves produced seven swings and misses? Not a one, of course.

PITCHER DATE WHIFFS
Josh Hader 3/30/2019 7
Doug Jones 9/23/1997 6
Todd Worrell 8/13/1995 5
Rafael Soriano 8/13/2010 4
LaTroy Hawkins 9/11/2004 4
Santiago Casilla 5/17/2015 3
Kenley Jansen 5/18/2017 2

(Source: baseball-reference.com)

AT LEAST THEY’VE GOT CHEESESTEAKS – An insane note from the Elias Sports Bureau: This was the first season the Phillies have started 4-0 since 1915. That 103-year streak without going 4-0 is the longest in the history of baseball.

And football. And basketball. And hockey. Seriously.

And in those 103 consecutive years that the Phillies were starting out 4-0 zero times, the New York/San Francisco Giants were doing it 17 times. Baseball!

BURGER KING – Finally, it was a matchup only Ambiorix Burgos, Travis Fryman and Jason Grilli could truly love. The Royals and Twins cooked it up Tuesday evening in Kansas City. And I’ll allow my buddy, Scott Miller, to sum up what made this one so, um, tasty.

In #Twins-#KCRoyals game tonight, Hildenberger was the winning pitcher and Boxberger was the losing pitcher. Mmmm. I’ll take mine with cheese. 🍔🍔

OK, just to sum that up, Trevor Hildenberger won this one in relief for the Twins. Brad Boxberger lost it in relief for the Royals. And I don’t know what you were thinking, but here’s what I was thinking:

I’m hungry!

But here’s what else I was thinking: Was this the first game ever to serve up two “bergers” to go, as the winning and losing pitcher?

For that answer, I turned to Useless Info Name Game expert Diane Firstman (a.k.a. @dianagram) – who combed through her delicious files and couldn’t find a single other game in the history of baseball in which two “bergers” got the decision. About the best nugget we could heat up was the sizzling combination of Wally Berger and Willard Hershberger, of the 1938-40 Reds – the only “berger” teammates of the last 100 years.

So there you go. Would you like any “Frys” (Jace or Paul) with that?

Strangest but Truest feats of the week

STATCAST SPOILS ALL THE FUN – So you may have heard that, in the second game he ever played for the Cardinals, Paul Goldschmidt hit three homers in a game – something Matt Holliday, Jim Edmonds, Jack Clark, Joe Torre and Rogers Hornsby never did as a Cardinal. But that isn’t even the Strange But True part.

The Strange But True part is that Goldschmidt’s hardest-hit ball of the night, according to Statcast, wasn’t any of those three home runs. It was (seriously) an out.

Exit velo on the three homers: 105.0, 105.8 and 106.4 mph.
Exit velo on his line-drive out to center in the fourth inning: 107.3 mph.

There’s nothing greater in this world than modern scientific advancement – except for the times you just don’t want to know.

STATCAST MAKES EVERYTHING FUN – All right, so there are other times you totally want to know. One of those times was Tuesday in Oakland, when A’s center fielder Ramón Laureano unleashed the laser-beam throw of the year – 270 feet on the fly to wipe out Boston’s Xander Bogaerts at the plate.

• Statcast reading on Laureano’s throw home: 96.0 mph
  • A’s starting pitchers who haven’t thrown a pitch that hard all year: 4 (in other words, all of them except Frankie Montas)

STRANGE BUT TRUE BOX-SCORE HITTING LINES OF THE WEEK – Some stuff in baseball just shouldn’t be possible. But apparently, it is. Stuff like this, for example:

• Jeimer Candelario (Tigers), Sunday in Toronto: 5 hits, 0 runs
  • Alex Gordon (Royals), Saturday vs. White Sox: 0 hits, 3 runs

You think Candelario was wondering how many leadoff hitters had a game all last season in which they got five hits but never made it to home plate? That would be zero. Baseball!

PACE OF ACTION POSTER BOY OF THE WEEK – Yu Darvish made a start last weekend in Texas in which those seven Cubs fielders behind him might as well have gone out for fajitas. Because, as my friend Gus Ramsey so astutely observed, they were pretty much as irrelevant as those gloves on their hands.

Yu Darvish threw 57 pitches to start the game before a ball was put in play. @jaysonst

So what went on in those first 56 pitches of the evening, while Darvish and his trusty catcher, Willson Contreras, were playing catch? It went this way:

Strikeout, strikeout, walk, walk, walk, bases-loaded strikeout, walk, walk, runner thrown out stealing, wild pitch, walk. Or, to break this down more precisely: 29 balls, four swings and misses, 12 foul balls, 11 strikes taken, six three-ball counts and 46,238 yawns.

That wasn’t a record or anything. But just so Yu knows what’s possible, Homer Bailey pitched a game last year in which he threw 50 pitches – and 26 of them were put in play. Action. Try it sometime.

BIG EEE OF THE WEEK – So there were the Mariners last Saturday, one out away from a routine little 6-2 win over the Red Sox, when this happened:

• Throwing error by third baseman Dylan Moore.
  • Fielding error by third baseman Dylan Moore.
  • Throwing error by third baseman Dylan Moore.

That’s back-to-back-to-back errors – on back-to-back-to-back hitters – by the same man. And how Strange But True is that? According to our friends at Stats, it’s the first time anybody, at any position, has lit the E light on the scoreboard on three consecutive hitters since Hubie Brooks did that for the Mets back on May 10, 1981 (in an enjoyable inning that went out, out, E, E, E, walk, walk, walk, walk, out).

So how did Mariners manager Scott Servais enjoy those three terrifying E-5’s?

“I’m just glad,” he told the assembled media inquisitors, after escaping with a 6-5 win, “there wasn’t a fourth.”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Davis is creeping up on the all time hitless streak record, which is 46.  He’s 0 for 38 including an 0 for 21 ending last year. 

I’m assuming everyone is shifting against him, so why not lay down a bunt to avoid becoming an answer on baseball trivia. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

CHRIS SALE – Gave up seven runs on Opening Day. Want to guess how many runs he gave up in July, August and September combined last year (over nine starts)? That would be six.

That one's a bit misleading.  He was very good in July with 25 innings over 4 starts with only 1 run allowed. 

In September and August he made 5 starts but only threw 17 innings total with the other 5 runs allowed coming in the last 2 starts.  Remember in the playoffs there was a lot of concern about how little he worked at the end of the year.

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so tomorrow, the second friday of the season, there are 12 games.  so 6 teams are off.  on a friday night (typically the first full slate of the week where all the games are ~the same time).

i get that half of the teams are having their home opener this weekend, and they want to prepare for that nasty april weather, but could they not have monday be the off day, and just play the 3rd game then if there was a rainout?

if you're a nats fan and you wanted to go to the home opener (or 2nd game), your options were thursday afternoon, or friday saturday afternoon.

top notch work by the scheduling guys.

It’s a computer system that’s been making the schedule the past few years. Blame HAL

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s a computer system that’s been making the schedule the past few years. Blame HAL

a computer didn't decide to give teams an off day on a friday because of potential inclement weather.  mlb made this call, and i can't believe teams are willing to give up friday night gate/concessions this early in the season.

friday is a full-slate day.  but only for the last 120 years or so.

a computer didn't decide to give teams an off day on a friday because of potential inclement weather.  mlb made this call, and i can't believe teams are willing to give up friday night gate/concessions this early in the season.
friday is a full-slate day.  but only for the last 120 years or so.

Yeah I’d like to see the explanation for this... in particular, your question about why not save Monday as an “if necessary “ make up day.

It’s not like there is any other sort of sporting event of significance going on to compete with tonight. Have teams take off on Monday when there is another sporting event of significance going on.

47 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah I’d like to see the explanation for this... in particular, your question about why not save Monday as an “if necessary “ make up day.

It’s not like there is any other sort of sporting event of significance going on to compete with tonight. Have teams take off on Monday when there is another sporting event of significance going on.

They want the off day immediately after opening day because of the ticket situation if it's postponed.  The Cardinals postponed their opening day yesterday. If they had the off day on Monday instead of Friday, everyone who bought Friday tickets would luck into having opening day tickets.  And the people who bought the real opening day tix would tickets for a nothing-special Monday game.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They want the off day immediately after opening day because of the ticket situation if it's postponed.  The Cardinals postponed their opening day yesterday. If they had the off day on Monday instead of Friday, everyone who bought Friday tickets would luck into having opening day tickets.  And the people who bought the real opening day tix would tickets for a nothing-special Monday game.  

i'll accept this as the correct explanation.

that said, i would be more pissed about not having a game on a friday than being robbed of the opportunity to say "i went to opening day!"  it's a regular season game, not ws g7.

watching stl/sd for fantasy purposes.  once flaherty gets better at managing his innings/games (100 pitches thru 5 today) he's gonna be real real good.

in related news, sd is gonna be nasty on offense soon and for a while.  i really like some of their lesser known young guys like mejia.  they also have some nice young starting pitchers (dude today looks sharp).  outside of machado and the idiots like preller, they're a fun team to root for.

50 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

watching stl/sd for fantasy purposes.  once flaherty gets better at managing his innings/games (100 pitches thru 5 today) he's gonna be real real good.

in related news, sd is gonna be nasty on offense soon and for a while.  i really like some of their lesser known young guys like mejia.  they also have some nice young starting pitchers (dude today looks sharp).  outside of machado and the idiots like preller, they're a fun team to root for.

And Tatis hit a bomb to break it open.

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dodger home run bonanza to start the season has been remarkable.  Belly leading the way, but Muncy and Martin with bombs too.  

martin is jealous of all the guys who are hitting homers and pitching in the same game.  he's coming for you, greinke.

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i'll accept this as the correct explanation.

that said, i would be more pissed about not having a game on a friday than being robbed of the opportunity to say "i went to opening day!"  it's a regular season game, not ws g7.

Didn't we talk about this last year?  It's also about the jacked up ticket prices on opening day.  If there's a rainout, you don't want to have to refund those tickets.  Or if you don't refund them and just give tickets to a later date you have fans pissed off they paid a premium for a normal game.  And if the day after the rainout becomes opening day, you've already sold those tickets at the normal lower price.

Why is Pujols still batting cleanup?  Just struck out and threw his bat with bases loaded, no outs in the top of the 1st.

And Drew Smyly goes on to escape the jam without allowing a run.

Edited by WBT

Why is Pujols still batting cleanup?  Just struck out and threw his bat with bases loaded, no outs in the top of the 1st.

And Drew Smyly goes on to escape the jam without allowing a run.

Not in the 4th. They needed Trout up

The best hitter in the game takes arguably the worst pitcher out with grand slam. 458’

3rd straight game with a HR