Viking Sky dead in water during storm

RPM

29 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Got an anchor set and one engine running, 3 choppers for 1300 people? I'd go back to my bunk and get some shut eye.

Rough estimate with 3 helos is about a dozen people per hour. Not sure what the engine trouble is but they may be better off onboarding a rescue party to get them underway.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those things have such a tall superstructure I guess they're mostly fucked if they get transverse to the wind, parallel to the waves.  Stabilizers can't help that.

No, but gyros do for us smaller guys and while I’m not familiar with what they have in the cruise ship world these days, I’d love to see one of the 85 foot sportfish equipped with a gyro(s)in those conditions. Dock talk has been lots of speculation about hulls not designed to withstand that kind of stress, especially on a retrofitted boat, even in much smaller seas.

Edited by justhookit

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

No, but gyros do for us smaller guys and while I’m not familiar with what they have in the cruise ship world these days, I’d love to see one of the 85 foot sportfish equipped with a gyro(s)in those conditions. Dock talk has been lots of speculation about hulls not designed to withstand that kind of stress, especially on a retrofitted boat, even in much smaller seas.

What do the gyros do?  I know what a gyro is, but I am unfamiliar with the stabilizer systems on smaller boats?  Just control engine and steering?

Can't find the info on MV Viking Sky, but some cruise ships have propulsion pods on a shaft that can rotate 360 degrees in addition to hull stabilizers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Stuff like this makes you think twice about going on one of these cruises.  But I think as a cruise passenger, it might be in your best interest to pick and choose when you go one of these cruises.   For example,  if you choose to cruise the Gulf and Caribbean from June to Sept, chances are you are going to run into some rough seas due to a tropical system close by or one that is trying to organize.  Norway and that part of Europe have similar weather patterns as the Northeast US this time of year where weather systems can go up the Atlantic  coast and cause all sorts of a mess.   Rule of thumb should be do something in the South America, Caribbean,  Mexico, or Asia (Vietnam, Thailand),  or Australia/New Zealand  this time of year  and Europe or China in the summer.  

My aunt and grandmother were big on cruises and had been doing it variously going back to the 40s and 50s.  They had never gotten seasick until the North Atlantic crossing on the QEII, which is stabilizer free.

I think anyone with knowledge of ocean travel might tell you not to cruise in the North Atlantic. 

This is occurring in a giant fjord, though.  In the North Atlantic.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

What do the gyros do?  I know what a gyro is, but I am unfamiliar with the stabilizer systems on smaller boats?  Just control engine and steering?

Can't find the info on MV Viking Sky, but some cruise ships have propulsion pods on a shaft that can rotate 360 degrees in addition to hull stabilizers.

Some fishing boats do have those pod systems for maneuvering but they never got popular and have a lot of problems.

The gyros pretty much eliminate roll and they help with pitch. You can see a video here https://www.seakeeper.com/take-a-ride/ - it’s not trick photography or anything. I’ve been on a few boats that have the SeaKeeper sysytems and the ride is amazing.

• Like 1

Crossed the Pacific from San Francisco to Korea in 1957 and back from Taiwan to San Fran in 1959 aboard a military transport ship - two full weeks each way. No stabilizers at all. Ran into the edge of a typhoon on the way over and the 18,000 ton ship rolled worse than that video. Puke city most of the way. Lived on apple juice and saltine crackers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Some fishing boats do have those pod systems for maneuvering but they never got popular and have a lot of problems.

The gyros pretty much eliminate roll and they help with pitch. You can see a video here https://www.seakeeper.com/take-a-ride/ - it’s not trick photography or anything. I’ve been on a few boats that have the SeaKeeper sysytems and the ride is amazing.

What the hell is that ball thing?  A gimballed water jet?  I understand that a gyroscope can detect roll, pitch and yaw and generate a counter-signal, I am interested in what mechanism is used to counter the forces.

Oh, shit, I see under technology.  It's a flywheel.  That's really cool.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Crossed the Pacific from San Francisco to Korea in 1957 and back from Taiwan to San Fran in 1959 aboard a military transport ship - two full weeks each way. No stabilizers at all. Ran into the edge of a typhoon on the way over and the 18,000 ton ship rolled worse than that video. Puke city most of the way. Lived on apple juice and saltine crackers.

At the end of the war and for a while afterward, my Dad served on an armed transport (AP-170). 

He had previously served on a Fletcher-class destroyer that survived the Great Typhoon (DD-583).

He learned, as most do, that one of the best ways to combat seasickness is to get occupied with something, and preferably something that involves physical activity.  On the transport, they played basketball in the hold running up and down a pitching and rolling hold deck.

• Like 1

What the hell is that ball thing?  A gimballed water jet?  I understand that a gyroscope can detect roll, pitch and yaw and generate a counter-signal, I am interested in what mechanism is used to counter the forces.

Same deal that keeps a motorcycle wanting to stay upright, where the rear wheel is a large gyroscope. And agreed that’s pretty cool, I bet it has to be mounted pretty solidly to keep precession forces from tearing up the mount.

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Same deal that keeps a motorcycle wanting to stay upright, where the rear wheel is a large gyroscope. And agreed that’s pretty cool, I bet it has to be mounted pretty solidly to keep precession forces from tearing up the mount.

Yeah  I get it, I just didn't know what the mechanism was.

Been on the water most of my life. Been seasick 2 x. Once after a heavy night of drinking ,and then out on the open ocean between St. Maarten and St Barths.

The second time came easier because I thought of the first time and it kind of made it worse. Out on the Atlantic in the Ocean City White Marlin tournament. 8' seas in a 60' sport fishing boat. When you're down in the cockpit, and you drop into a trough the world disappears,  you're surrounded by walls of water, then you bounce up on top and you see for miles. 

Sea sickness is about as nasty a thing as I've ever experienced.  In one of those cows the rolling and bouncing in a rough, windy sea it must be brutal.

Been on 2 cruises, and had a blast both times, and would do it again. Alaska, and the Med are on the bucket list.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I actually saw this same ship docked at Alesund last summer so this hits close to home /csb 

Norway is a beautiful, beautiful place to go on vacation and I highly recommend it... That said, not sure what would motivate you to go on a cruise in March... If I were there in March, I’d be in the interior skiing.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I knew some buildings have these to dampen movement but didn’t think about it helping with boats.  Make sense.

2 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

I actually saw this same ship docked at Alesund last summer so this hits close to home /csb 

Norway is a beautiful, beautiful place to go on vacation and I highly recommend it... That said, not sure what would motivate you to go on a cruise in March... If I were there in March, I’d be in the interior skiing.

Skiing? Not if you’re in your early 100’s like most of the patrons of Viking cruise line. They just sitting on a ship drinking scotch and complaining about high prices and overactive air-conditioning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yes, installing these things on a retrofit costs about twice the actual SeaKeeper system price. And it’s not just the mount, there are new forces that boat hulls just weren’t designed for. The new boats are designed to have one installed (the bigger boats have 2 or even 3, my friends 82 Spencer has 3).

On 3/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I knew some buildings have these to dampen movement but didn’t think about it helping with boats.  Make sense.

That's actually kind of a different deal.  It doesn't use a flywheel, but just a huge suspended mass.

The flywheel has a gyroscopic effect countering movements of the boat with the precession force of the flywheel.  And I think that's supplemented by movement of the flywheel assembly within the hull.

I understand now why justhookit called it gyros.  It's not just gyroscopically controlled, it's a giant gyroscope.

Both work on a type of inertia, but precession is dynamic inertia on stetoids.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I don’t pretend to understand it but those demo videos make it look like an on/off switch. The reality is that it takes 30 minutes or so for them to spin up so that you can turn it “on”. I guess after that initializing period you can turn it on and off but other than to document the difference I’m not sure why you would do that.

Fishing boats these days have an amazing amount of tech built in them and a price to match.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

I don’t pretend to understand it but those demo videos make it look like an on/off switch. The reality is that it takes 30 minutes or so for them to spin up so that you can turn it “on”. I guess after that initializing period you can turn it on and off but other than to document the difference I’m not sure why you would do that.

Fishing boats these days have an amazing amount of tech built in them and a price to match.

I think most folks have experienced "precession" one way or another:  a little gyroscope that you hold in your hand that resists attempts to change its orientation, or holding a spinning bike wheel by its axles and it resists turning in either direction.  That's what's at work here.

Two ways to make that "gyro" more effective at countering movement:  make it heavier or make it spin faster.  On a boat, don't want it to be too heavy, so you make it spin faster.  So, it takes some time to spin up, and spin down.

• Like 1