2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I want to see Yordan as much as anyone, but bringing him up would mean sitting one of Jake or Reddick or Springer or Brantley every day. 

You're not sitting Springer or Brantley, obviously. Jake is your best defensive player and is hitting .313/.361/.597; Reddick is hitting .333/.388/.444.

The weak spot in the lineup is at 1B, but are they going to sit Yuli most days? Can Yordan play 1B (not sure how much he's played there)?

So you have a situation in which you have these guys that should be in the lineup every single day: Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Brantley, Chirinos/catcher.

That leaves 3 spots for 5 guys: Jake, Reddick, Yuli, Diaz, Yordan (if promoted). 

I just don't see how Yordan would get everyday ABs right now. It's a good problem to have, but it is a little frustrating to have a guy absolutely destroying AAA at age 21 and you don't have room. 

Imagine having this discussion in 2013. 

On the flip side, it's not good to have someone spend a long time at a level where they are not being challenged.  There is potential for him to start developing some bad hitting habits when he's not being challenged.  They are going to have to bring him up next month.

The only non pitching roster spot that I see changing  is Tyler White. 

Springer / Brantley / Reddick are the starters. Jake is the defensive sub. Kemp is spot fill in. I don’t care how hot Alvarez gets, that’s not changing. 

Same with yuli and Diaz in the infield 

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The only non pitching roster spot that I see changing  is Tyler White. 

Springer / Brantley / Reddick are the starters. Jake is the defensive sub. Kemp is spot fill in. I don’t care how hot Alvarez gets, that’s not changing. 

Same with yuli and Diaz in the infield 

Right. You can replace White or Kemp with Yordan, but who sits? Your "4th OF" is by far your best defensive CF and has a 157 wRC+ (yes, this will come down, but he has had a good offensive season previously, and doesn't need to be much more than average offensively to be playable every day).

DH has been a weak spot the last few years, but the approach this year is different - instead of someone like Gattis getting everyday ABs, the DH spot is used to get other guys a "half-day" off. I don't see that changing this year, unless/until one of the OFs gets hurt. 

Also, there is the matter of White and Kemp being out of options. Demoting them means probably losing them. I know that doesn't seem like a huge problem, but I'm sure the org would like to keep them or get something for them - they are assets that could have value to some teams as add-ins for potential trades at the deadline. 

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

if/when we get rid of tyler white, I highly doubt we get anything more than cash considerations for him. 

I don't think you get much for him alone, but I could see a (bad) AL team valuing him as a part of a trade package...he has done really well in AAA and has some success at the MLB level. But at least you'd get something for him rather than waiving him. Just saying that the club is probably inclined to try to get something for him rather than giving him away as long as the team is kicking ass offensively anyway. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does White, Kemp and/or Fisher, and a pitching prospect not named Whitley, Bukauskas, or Martin get us MadBum?  

I think it gets you close. Though SF seems a bad fit for White, as they have $$$ tied up in Longoria and Belt. They should like Fisher though.

51 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Also, there is the matter of White and Kemp being out of options. Demoting them means probably losing them. I know that doesn't seem like a huge problem, but I'm sure the org would like to keep them or get something for them - they are assets that could have value to some teams as add-ins for potential trades at the deadline. 

from your mouth to god's ears.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There is a chance he improves when given the opportunity to play daily 

at what point do we realize he is what he is? how many more ABs and playing time do we need to give him until he "improves" or starts to figure it out? I can't imagine another 40-50 ABs and a light's going to on and he figures it out? i don't want to bash the guy - at times last year i wanted him up more than others in important spots - but, to me, as a projected DH and someone who figured would get a lot of PT, he seemed to come into this season with that perceived notion and shows up, somehow, even bigger than last season.  

i get annoyed when AJ and Luhnnow have stated that ABs on this team are at a premium, and they are - how much more does he figure to get? it's a tough spot to be in for sure. the fact we are complaining/discussing our DH and multiple options at the MLB and AAA level are first world problems, but still something to keep an eye on. that roster spot will free up another spot on the 40 man should we, likely go that way. 

may have been already posted, but here's a (week-old) piece on yordan, and his eventual call up.  i knew he wasn't on the 40-man, so there would need to be some sort of corresponding move (i'm sure there are a few predictable options).

https://therunnersports.com/houston-astros-wrestle-with-promotion-of-power-prospect-yordan-alvarez/

29 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

at what point do we realize he is what he is? how many more ABs and playing time do we need to give him until he "improves" or starts to figure it out? I can't imagine another 40-50 ABs and a light's going to on and he figures it out? i don't want to bash the guy - at times last year i wanted him up more than others in important spots - but, to me, as a projected DH and someone who figured would get a lot of PT, he seemed to come into this season with that perceived notion and shows up, somehow, even bigger than last season.  

i get annoyed when AJ and Luhnnow have stated that ABs on this team are at a premium, and they are - how much more does he figure to get? it's a tough spot to be in for sure. the fact we are complaining/discussing our DH and multiple options at the MLB and AAA level are first world problems, but still something to keep an eye on. that roster spot will free up another spot on the 40 man should we, likely go that way. 

I'm with you, but he does have a 108 wRC+ for his career - slightly better than average offensive player. He's well below that this year, but maybe what he is a decent hitter? I have my doubts, but the data indicate that he's not terrible. Other teams (with nothing to lose) may be willing to take him on.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Luhnow attended a Round Rock game this week 

Hmm, could be scouting Baylor commit Jared McKenzie or, if the timing lines up, he could be looking at JJ Goss RHP for Cy Ranch. That guy is one of the top high school prospects in the nation.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right. You can replace White or Kemp with Yordan, but who sits? Your "4th OF" is by far your best defensive CF and has a 157 wRC+ (yes, this will come down, but he has had a good offensive season previously, and doesn't need to be much more than average offensively to be playable every day).

DH has been a weak spot the last few years, but the approach this year is different - instead of someone like Gattis getting everyday ABs, the DH spot is used to get other guys a "half-day" off. I don't see that changing this year, unless/until one of the OFs gets hurt. 

You change this for the playoff run when the days off don’t matter. Let him bat every day as DH for three months. Reevaluate in the off season. 

40 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:
They’re not bringing Yordan up until they need him. Right now, they don’t need him

What if White is injured and you need someone to strikeout? Did you think of that smart guy?

He’s a power play to prevent a double play. Chess moves 

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hmm, could be scouting Baylor commit Jared McKenzie or, if the timing lines up, he could be looking at JJ Goss RHP for Cy Ranch. That guy is one of the top high school prospects in the nation.

He meant a game in Round Rock to see the Express

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

may have been already posted, but here's a (week-old) piece on yordan, and his eventual call up.  i knew he wasn't on the 40-man, so there would need to be some sort of corresponding move (i'm sure there are a few predictable options).

https://therunnersports.com/houston-astros-wrestle-with-promotion-of-power-prospect-yordan-alvarez/

Isn't there one spot open on the Astros 40 man roster? 

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:
5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:
They’re not bringing Yordan up until they need him. Right now, they don’t need him

What if White is injured and you need someone to strikeout? Did you think of that smart guy?

I can be signed on the cheap if they just need a guy to strike out !

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I know they scouted those two pitchers this season 

Let’s face it, Alvarez is not coming to Houston any earlier than the super-2 deadline (early June sometime.) Not because he’s not ready, but simply because we don’t need him. (As our record and team OPS prove.).

Let’s let White try to work his way out of his funk and allow the Wizard try to get that proverbial bag of balls for him. (Or bundle him with a mired pitching prospect for one of those lotto tickets Lunhow is so good at finding.)

Alright Astros fans, gotta couple of questions for  that are fantasy baseball related. 

1. Does Corbin Martin have a legit chance to stick as yalls 4th or 5th starter, or is he strictly just a fill in? I would assume a decent performance against Boston world help.

2. Is holding on to Kyle Tucker a pipe dream or is he getting called up anytime soon? Is it just a matter of Reddick or Brantley getting hurt? Couldn’t you just rotate all 3 of them at DH and the other corner OF positions (while still sprinkling in Springer in RF or DH and Marisnick in CF? And just never play fat Tyler white ever again?)

Not trying to derail yalls thread, but this seemed like the best place to go for an answer to these questions. 

35 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Alright Astros fans, gotta couple of questions for  that are fantasy baseball related. 

1. Does Corbin Martin have a legit chance to stick as yalls 4th or 5th starter, or is he strictly just a fill in? I would assume a decent performance against Boston world help.

2. Is holding on to Kyle Tucker a pipe dream or is he getting called up anytime soon? Is it just a matter of Reddick or Brantley getting hurt? Couldn’t you just rotate all 3 of them at DH and the other corner OF positions (while still sprinkling in Springer in RF or DH and Marisnick in CF? And just never play fat Tyler white ever again?)

Not trying to derail yalls thread, but this seemed like the best place to go for an answer to these questions. 

1. Don't know what the plan with Martin is, but McHugh is back to the bullpen and there isn't really a better option to fill that rotation spot. Martin has pedigree (was on many top-100 prospect lists pre-season). He'll probably be on an innings limit this year though. 

2. I'd be surprised if Tucker has any meaningful production this year. And Alvarez figures to get the call before Tucker in the event one of the OFs gets hurt. If you are asking about long-term value, Tucker still figures to be in the plans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The Fantasy thread is that way ————————>